Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Professor Irony

Cursed Image
Well, when I say original, I mean the live-action one from the 90s. The anime even plays its op theme towards the end. Didn't know they'd done a short for the Animator Expo though.

Also screencapped that poster.
promare.jpg

Interestingly, I couldn't see it at all on my computer monitor when I went to take the screengrab - the brightness on my ipad must be a lot higher.

Aaron

Dragon Knight
I watched all the available episodes (6/12 so far) of Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya (the Netflix series) recently - and I absolutely loved it.

After seeing a few CGI anime stinkers on Netflix recently, this was a very welcome change. It looked really nice - very similar to the cutscenes of Dragon Quest XI, which I also love.

I've seen a lot of overwhelming negativity about the series, but I really enjoyed it. Then again, I've never been a big Saint Seiya fan (outside of playing a few of the video games and reading the first few volumes of the manga), so SS doesn't really have a place in my heart.

The story was interesting and exciting, there were a lot of cool characters, it looked great and both the OP/EP (by The Struts) were awesome. It's really good shonen stuff.

I'm really looking forward to the second half of the series. If it's even a quarter as good as the first six episodes, I'll be happy - 9/10

thedoctor2016

Shinigami
Violet Evergarden - A show i needed to revisit in my own time and without any hype. Madmans BD allowed me to (Please fix the subs AL missing titles and just copied from Netflix lazy bad typesetting too). I now get the point of the show its the show the transition from war and a cease fire to peace, its not instant as life changes for people does she the right to be happy, to write letters for me and she learns to accept peace and live in a peaceful world. Thank god the major is dead as he isn't in the books because that event allows her to accept peace and move on to her new phase of life. Episode 10 is a masterpiece but episode 11 was the surprise because it was forgotten its got as a powerful message about how hard peace is and even the war stopped for Violet it hasn't for everyone and you cant save everybody and the guilt of just saving their memories and love on paper brings. It is a very good show, I don't think its as especially beautiful as every acted because its what you expect with KyoAni its not surprising but then again last year I cant see any shows bar say Tsurune that came close. Its a powerful story of that time people forget the transition of war to peace and how not everyone accepts it. 9/10

WMD

Hunter
Haikyu! Season 1-3

So I had no interest in watching this and only bought it because it was the most cost effective anime I could find on Amazon Spain. OMG it blew me away. It is so so good. The characters are interesting and varied. The action is brilliantly animated and engaging. The show is fun, funny, tense and exciting all at once!

Matches then to span multiple episodes (in fact season 3 is one 10 episode match! You get so invested in what's happening and the nature of volleyball means the lead is always changing! Honestly right up to the very end of season 3 I had no idea who was going to win. That's the great thing about this show. They dont always win. But you see the team improve and their desire to not let down the teams mates. Its insanely emotional. There were times I couldn't sit and had to pace around my room while watching!

10/10

AironicallyHuman

Time-Traveller
I finished Oreimo. It's a very sweet series, with a likeable cast of characters. The story is nice - there's plenty going on and it never gets boring. I prefer watching shows dubbed where possible, but I still loved this even though it was sub-only.

I'll watch something else next, but I've got season 2 to look forward to!

9/10
Tad late to this one but, if you haven't watched S2 yet, don't. What is sweet and endearing in a bitchsis X doormat kinda way becomes dirty in a very ANIME kinda way. Kuroneko's sequel OVA thingy aside, **** OreImo. It drew me in with its OP and waifus, then had me despairing over a fight to wash lead dullard's boxers with lots of crying and screaming.

...just fyi. Like in the case of life itself, I fear there is little for you to look forward to unless you are an incest loving masochist.

WMD

Hunter
All of the things you described there are all the very same things I like so much about the show. ✌

How'd you get on watching it in Spanish?
Surprisingly well actually. To begin with I was having to pause a bit and check translations for the volleyball specific language but once I understood the terminolgy I was fine and didnt even need subtitles!

The dub seemed well handled and everyone had a pretty distinctive voice. The one big criticism was that the Spanish voice actors didnt commit to the yells of passion in the same way Americans do so some if the big moments fell a little flat for me for a few characters.

Luckily Hinata and Kageyama were both very well done. Hinatas voice actor made him so earnest you immediately found him endearing and Kageyama got his icy sterness down pat.

Tad late to this one but, if you haven't watched S2 yet, don't. What is sweet and endearing in a bitchsis X doormat kinda way becomes dirty in a very ANIME kinda way. Kuroneko's sequel OVA thingy aside, **** OreImo. It drew me in with its OP and waifus, then had me despairing over a fight to wash lead dullard's boxers with lots of crying and screaming.

...just fyi. Like in the case of life itself, I fear there is little for you to look forward to unless you are an incest loving masochist.
This is so true it hurts.

Neil.T

Guild Member
Hinatas voice actor made him so earnest you immediately found him endearing
You've just got to root for him, haven't you? 😀

In fact, when even the (initially) bored and indifferent Kei Tsukishima becomes a character who earns your support as a viewer, well... that's just quality writing, isn't it?

Such a shame we only got season 1 on home release here.

Reactions: WMD

WMD

Hunter
You've just got to root for him, haven't you? 😀
Absolutely! And it's really nice to have an anime with so many male characters where by and large they are all earnest and hard working and enjoy what they do. It's like the boy version of something like K-on (which I obviously also love!) Therea not a whiny one in the bunch, in fact Kageyamas early story arc is to direct him away from being the whiny one into one of the most focused in the whole team.

In fact, when even the (initially) bored and indifferent Kei Tsukishima becomes a character who earns your support as a viewer, well... that's just quality writing, isn't it?
His story arc is so well done. The way hes introduced almost as a villain and rival to the main two and slowly becomes integrated is so well done. And his background, when we learn it, adds so much to him. The writing really is great.

Such a shame we only got season 1 on home release here
Didnt realise it was only season 1 here. That is a shame. Unfortunately Manga/Animatsu have a habit of badly handling releases. The shoddy 2nd seasons for index and railgun come to mind! At least they exist I guess.

thedoctor2016

Shinigami
It sold terribly so I don’t blame them for stopping them especially as the next release was a re release of S1 with Sentai’s new dub. That wouldn’t have been a easy sell anyway.

WMD

Hunter
It sold terribly so I don’t blame them for stopping them especially as the next release was a re release of S1 with Sentai’s new dub. That wouldn’t have been a easy sell anyway.
I'm not especially surprised it sold badly really. Boys volleyball sports anime sounds painfully niche as a concept.

WMD

Hunter
Thinking about it most of my strongest reactions in season 3 surrounded Tsukishima. The show's a full on character drama disguising itself as a comedy and the way the show uses volleyball and the matches maintains a near constant level of tension and excitement throughout the show.

The use of people in the crowd talking about what's happening provides a very natural way to provide commentary without it being forced.

Neil.T

Guild Member
His story arc is so well done. The way hes introduced almost as a villain and rival to the main two and slowly becomes integrated is so well done. And his background, when we learn it, adds so much to him.
That's exactly it. That's the kind of writing I love. 👌

Thinking about it most of my strongest reactions in season 3 surrounded Tsukishima.
the matches maintains a near constant level of tension and excitement throughout the show
The use of people in the crowd talking about what's happening provides a very natural way to provide commentary without it being forced.
↑All of this as well. 👍

Let me second all of that. 👏

. . . it's really nice to have an anime with so many male characters . . .
In this age of CGDCT anime (and no offence to K-On, because I like K-On as well!), it's nice to have something you can get your teeth into a bit more. I think agenda plays a big part for me, too; like, after finishing season 3 on Crunchyroll, the site tried to sell me Harukana Receive, but I really couldn't see myself watching that, because it strikes me as having a fanservice agenda. Perhaps I'm being unfair there because, now I think about it, I don't think I've even seen a trailer for that series. Certainly based on the key art, though, it gives me that impression.

(On a related note, I did see a trailer some weeks ago for a sports anime of sorts called Kandagawa Jet Girls. That looks legitimately like an absolute horror to me; I was practically biting my knuckles in embarrassment and discomfort just watching the promo for it. 😬)

WMD

Hunter
That's exactly it. That's the kind of writing I love. 👌

↑All of this as well. 👍

Let me second all of that. 👏

In this age of CGDCT anime (and no offence to K-On, because I like K-On as well!), it's nice to have something you can get your teeth into a bit more. I think agenda plays a big part for me, too; like, after finishing season 3 on Crunchyroll, the site tried to sell me Harukana Receive, but I really couldn't see myself watching that, because it strikes me as having a fanservice agenda. Perhaps I'm being unfair there because, now I think about it, I don't think I've even seen a trailer for that series. Certainly based on the key art, though, it gives me that impression.

(On a related note, I did see a trailer some weeks ago for a sports anime of sorts called Kandagawa Jet Girls. That looks legitimately like an absolute horror to me; I was practically biting my knuckles in embarrassment and discomfort just watching the promo for it. 😬)
I had to up what CGDCT meant. Lol. I get what you mean but one of the things I liked about K-on and Girls Und Panzer was that the girls still had problems they were trying to overcome and they mostly stuck away from fan service. (Dont get me wrong I have watched and enjoyed many fan service style shows aswell)

Haikyu does take it to another level though. The amount of characterisation so many get is pretty insane including the players on opponents team. The show uses internal monologues to great dramatic effect here. That element is quite reminiscent of Death Note actually.

D1tchd1gger

Time-Traveller
Harukana Receive, but I really couldn't see myself watching that, because it strikes me as having a fanservice agenda.
It was wrongly labelled as ecchi on MAL at first and had a low score when it didn't go there. It's a proper sports anime with all the usual making a club, finding the right number, rookie learning the sport, tournaments, etc. but I really liked it. The animation and music is great and cute girls in bikinis is just the cherry on top!
My fav of that season IIRC.

WMD

Hunter
People still label Free! as fan service and its the same club dynamic as K-ON etc. Oh well
Free is in a bit of a bind there as by nature it cant get away from the fan service side of things. When I finally got round to watch the random season the AL released it was another I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. One day I intend to go back and watch it properly from the start.

Free doesnt help itself however with the associated artwork for the show. There were images in the art book that made it seem fan service and BL were going to be the main ingredients of the show and that couldn't be further from the truth.

As an aside I thought the English dub for Free was very good as well.

Luna

Pokémon Master
Thank god the major is dead as he isn't in the books
Technically that's not necessarily the case for the anime (yet) though?
As Hodgins is saying that Violet hasn't really lost anything at all. Which kind of implied a lot to me somehow.]
Haven't gotten to that part of the books yet though, am at the first half of book one. The changes they did while adapting the books are quite interesting to read. Especially, the most interesting parts of the books aren't really present in the show, but then the most beautiful moments of the show definitely loose towards their original versions.
(Still would have loves to see Violet jumpt the lake in the original dress, at least the CM gives a glimpse of it.)

People still label Free! as fan service and its the same club dynamic as K-ON etc. Oh well
Free doesnt help itself however with the associated artwork for the show. There were images in the art book that made it seem fan service and BL were going to be the main ingredients of the show and that couldn't be further from the truth.
I daresay it's not just the artwork. It does have a whole load of fanservy BL-baiting + Bishonen flauting in S1 one itself as well. And some parts are downright ridiculous. It took me until S2 to get used to it. Also helped it had more down to earth elements mixed into the pot. (The Tooru Nagashi was about the turning point for me.)
And then Starting Days comes around and suddenly removes just about all of the baiting elements. (Or Utsumi's stylistic elements.) I didn't like them back in S1, but it made me realized how much I had associated it with the franchise already to the point I found Starting Days surprisingly dragged and boring... almost fake. (Even though it was from Takemoto.)
While I dumped the German Starting Days BD out, I did get the Funi box afterwards, so will find out, if that was just another case of expectations going haywire. (But this soft reboots stuff feels weird if you don't know about it before I guess.)
(It's a pity they didn't use the bird-sea illustation for a cover, on of the not-fanservice flauting images out there, even if not really surprising, for having the boxed stay consistent. Peppermint Germany used it as a cover, but of cours had to stain it with all their logos and ads... The Essentials release have nice, more representative covers, but then they have that stupid essentials bar on the covers. Hmmmpf.)[/Spoiler]

Reactions: WMD