Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Now that I have had time to settle thoughts think I can a final score on these.

Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches-
Started off pretty fun but the last three episodes were a bore got way to dramatic. 7/10

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid- Was a genuinely charming show but the last episode was horrendous and brought the whole thing down to a 6/10 for me.

Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1

Second anime film in cinemas over here in as many months. This one is a compilation film, a genre I’m not too fond of. However it starts off really well with around 25 minutes of new animation depicting the battle known as the “Summer of Love” which was only hinted at in the original series. This part of the film is fantastic and battle it depicts is really well animated and looks spectacular. But once this battle is out of the way as well as a couple of very short newly animated scenes, it goes straight to the TV footage, which leads to the first problem with the film. For some reason they mustn’t been able to reformat the original 4:3 footage to cinema scope, as jarringly we go from the new animation in 16:9 format to the old TV footage in 4:3 format.

Normally in compilation films, the story is recounted in a sequential and linear fashion. Not so in this film. For some reason the director thought it would be interesting to retell the story completely out of sequence with only minimal voice over and tittle cards reading “Playback” or “Rewind” in between the scenes. Adding to the confusion is literally hundreds of on screen titles labelling everything from ships, character’s biometrics and even meals on a dinner table. Little of these add to the story and just adds to the confusion of the already out of sequence, schizophrenic retelling of the series. The most puzzling thing about this film is the almost complete absence of the Gekkostate and its crew. I think the total amount of screen time dedicated to them amounts to less than five minutes, though it's possibly less than three. It’s a really bizarre omission, as in the original TV series the Gekkostate is key to the plot of the show and the reason why the main character, Renton, wants to get out of the town he is stuck in. Instead the film’s main focus is on the episodes 19 to 24 and Renton’s relationship with Ray and Charles Beams. His relationship with Eureka is also touched on, but barely. A couple of people left the film about half way through the screening. It was easy to see why. It’s a really strange and poor retelling of the series. I can’t imagine how you’d follow any of the film unless you knew the original TV series inside out. 4.5 out of 10.

Last edited:
I believe that film was screened at Scotland Loves Anime in Glasgow last October — in the presence of the director, who was there for a Q&A session.

That must've been embarrassing.

I think rehashing old series is a bad idea anyway. Unless you have a new story to tell it just sounds like a poor attempt at a cash in.

I just finished Full Metal Alchemist & Stein's Gate.

FMA had a glimpse of some of the magic that made me love FMA:B (which I saw first) but I do feel that FMA:B was superior plot wise. FMA got rather silly towards the end: 7/10

Stein's Gate took me a long time to get half way through because the first half was so dull and felt very stretched. Luckily the 2nd half really turned it around and I ended up enjoying it quite a lot but I still don't get the raving about it: 6/10

I just finished Full Metal Alchemist & Stein's Gate.

FMA had a glimpse of some of the magic that made me love FMA:B (which I saw first) but I do feel that FMA:B was superior plot wise. FMA got rather silly towards the end: 7/10

Stein's Gate took me a long time to get half way through because the first half was so dull and felt very stretched. Luckily the 2nd half really turned it around and I ended up enjoying it quite a lot but I still don't get the raving about it: 6/10
Agreed, FMA really drops the ball in places, especially the main antagonist. Also...
IMG_1179.JPG

I still find it hard to believe that some prefer the original FMA. Must just be nostalgia I guess.

Plenty of 'new' content to make it worth watching if you liked Brotherhood though and the original storyline they came up with was pretty impressive overall.

I have seen both, FMA back in the day when it came out, and I still prefer Brotherhood by far. Overall, better in everything, though I barely remember the original FMA at this point, not to mention Brotherhood which I've watched maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Having gone through the original one first, I don't know that I'd say I prefer it over Brotherhood, more that I just felt like I'd had enough of the franchise by that point. What I've seen of Brotherhood seemed fine, but I didn't have any great desire to watch it.

Just finished Yuri!!! On Ice

I gave it a 5/10 on MAL, and I felt that was being generous. I think it was a very overrated one overall, that said, there were a couple of good points to note.

It does portray a professional sport very well, in terms of showing the competetive nature of the athletes, as well as the finer details like the sportswear/advertisments/sponsors etc. Also, the actual sound of the skates on the ice is quite satisfying to hear...

It's charater development is noteworthy; portraying a character's struggle with low self esteem and confidence issues was well executed, and the professional relationship between Yuri and Victor is well portrayed.

The MAJOR con for me, is the animation; it's WAY too inconsistent for me. I'm not really keen on the overall look of it anyway, but some of the animation, particularly towards the end, seems rushed. I'm not 100% sure if the skate scenes are rotoscoped, but whilst they do show the moves acurrately, the animation of the sequences looks very jerky.

It's a comical anime, so needless to say, the animation often reflects this in typical anime style (sweatdrops, chibi-outs etc), however, it seems way too out of place when you consider that the skating scenes are done in a much more "realistic" way since they try to represent an actual professional sport. Yuri in particular almost looks like a different character altogether when you see him full-out chibi compared to when he's on the ice.

Also, it could be very cringey at times, especially when the skaters would recite their inner monologues to themselves whilst performing (another bug-bare; there's too many inner monologues in my opinion). It's a bit over dramatic for me but I guess it gives an insight into what goes on in the minds of a professional figure skater when performing.

Overall I'm glad I took the plunge - it was an experience for sure and I'm more than aware of the "you win some, you lose some" in the anime watching game ;)

Not sure if a spoiler was really needed but I thought I'd err on the side of caution. I'm not giving away actual lines or important plot twists but, I just want to try to be considerate ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished Yuri!!! On Ice

I gave it a 5/10 on MAL, and I felt that was being generous. I think it was a very overrated one overall, that said, there were a couple of good points to note.

It does portray a professional sport very well, in terms of showing the competetive nature of the athletes, as well as the finer details like the sportswear/advertisments/sponsors etc. Also, the actual sound of the skates on the ice is quite satisfying to hear...

It's charater development is noteworthy; portraying a character's struggle with low self esteem and confidence issues was well executed, and the professional relationship between Yuri and Victor is well portrayed.

The MAJOR con for me, is the animation; it's WAY too inconsistent for me. I'm not really keen on the overall look of it anyway, but some of the animation, particularly towards the end, seems rushed. I'm not 100% sure if the skate scenes are rotoscoped, but whilst they do show the moves acurrately, the animation of the sequences looks very jerky.

It's a comical anime, so needless to say, the animation often reflects this in typical anime style (sweatdrops, chibi-outs etc), however, it seems way too out of place when you consider that the skating scenes are done in a much more "realistic" way since they try to represent an actual professional sport. Yuri in particular almost looks like a different character altogether when you see him full-out chibi compared to when he's on the ice.

Also, it could be very cringey at times, especially when the skaters would recite their inner monologues to themselves whilst performing (another bug-bare; there's too many inner monologues in my opinion). It's a bit over dramatic for me but I guess it gives an insight into what goes on in the minds of a professional figure skater when performing.

Overall I'm glad I took the plunge - it was an experience for sure and I'm more than aware of the "you win some, you lose some" in the anime watching game ;)

Not sure if a spoiler was really needed but I thought I'd err on the side of caution. I'm not giving away actual lines or important plot twists but, I just want to try to be considerate ^^
Iirc they fixed some of the animation for home release, though I'll have to wait and see for myself.

Iirc they fixed some of the animation for home release, though I'll have to wait and see for myself.

I did read about this; apparently it was cleaned up for the Bluray release? Or is it for the DVD as well? I can't remember, but I read that the creators did acknowledge the fact that it was rushed towards the end due to time and budget constraints...it's understandable sometimes, but I just don't like seeing inconsistencies in animation!

I was watching something on Crunchyroll just earlier today. After the opening titles, it played the same bloody advert three times in a row. And for every episode at that!

It didn't make me want to buy the thing it was advertising. 😛

Haha, yeah, if I was that weak of mind, I'd have about 200 copies of that b****y Final Fantasy Role Playing Game by now. I'm really not that bothered though, I just mute them when they come on and put the sound back when the series in playing. The thing is it's just a temorary measure; I'd much rather buy the series when I get the cash, but as another user pointed out a while back, it's a good enough way to get by in the meantime. It's good to check things out and see if they're worth buying ^^

Back