Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Baggie_Saiyan

Thousand Master
I couldn't get into it that much, ended up checking out where the series went from where the second series left off and the ending just frustrated me.

Now I have a Crunchyroll subscription I'll be more likely to check a series out before buying should I want to acquire it. I've been lucky so far with my purchases, and should I really dislike a series I can always sell it off. Thankfully I haven't spent more than £20 on a title I didn't like so it wasn't too frustrating an experience.
That is not bad! Yeah now FUNi in the UK I can legally check shows out before watching (I am more of a dub guy).

And re: Haganai, yeah I tend to forget about the second season when talking about it should have noted just the first season, the second season isn't great the ending to it sucks and the original source material gets even worse! But still the great first season exists and that is a ok!

HWR

Himouto
That is not bad! Yeah now FUNi in the UK I can legally check shows out before watching (I am more of a dub guy).

And re: Haganai, yeah I tend to forget about the second season when talking about it should have noted just the first season, the second season isn't great the ending to it sucks and the original source material gets even worse! But still the great first season exists and that is a ok!
I'm more of a dub guy myself as well, all the more reason to buy a series if I've watched it on Crunchyroll beforehand.

Your lie in April disappointed!!!!
Ok so I hear this series is a real feels train and I get it in the Christmas mystery box, only recently went for watching it. It's a real guy meets girl sort of thing, but with many of the characters being the best at what they do from the word go and MC not doing what he's best at because well he's depressing. Whenever he meets up with the female lead he kind of goes all poetic in his mind but it falls flat as he's really monotone. The female lead I get is supposed to be the "ideal" girl in the series and although she shows a lot of passion to me she seems really pretentious and self centred. Halfway through part 1 Mc's friends get that he might be unhappy, after spending that half of the series forcing him into something he doesn't want to do. I know why MC is depressed, all of his friends are a****les! I don't really get why I should feel for most of the characters
5/10
Honestly I don't know why I didn't wait a few hours to post something more positive, I liked the twist of the last ep of RWBY I've yet to watch the new 'zilla anime, I've started enjoying ito's new horror series and I'm wondering if I should re-watch devilman crybaby to get why lots of people liked it so much, I reckon I could get past the art style and dubbing if I did but I'd still hate some of the character development, I just don't get why anyone respects or trusts ryuo when he's clearly a sociopath and never really hides it

Greboruri

Brigade Leader
Mary and the Witch's Flower

Saw this in the cinema today (original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles). Well, the film just felt really derivative I'm afraid. Like a pastiche of every Ghibli film of the last 15 years. Studio Ponoc seems to be trying fill the void Studio Ghibli left with knockoff feature films. I mean even their logo mimics Ghibli's. I really like parts of the film, but the designs felt like left overs from a Ghibli production. The story had a lot of problems too. Being adapted from a British children's novel from the early 1970's, a lot of the early part of the story just felt out place as I think the film is meant to be set in the modern day English countryside (there's also a couple of very Japanese traits portrayed in the film which British people would just not do which amused me). The other part which didn't work for me is the journey Mary went on, from being unsure about herself to being comfortable with herself was really ham-fisted, as was the development of the relationship between her and Peter. Add in the fact Ghibli has previous produced two films based on children's or young adult's fantasy novels, and the with the setting in a school of magic, the whole film just really feels uninspired and like it's riding the coattails of other films. You just really have to question why Ponoc chose to adapt "The Little Broomstick" over coming up with their own original work or adapting something else from a genre that hasn't been done to death. I did like a lot of the film from the half way mark to the finale, but overall it's a really mediocre film. 6 out of 10, and I'm being quite generous.

D1tchd1gger

Railgun
Add in the fact Ghibli has previous produced two films based on children's or young adult's fantasy novels
Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea, right?

You just really have to question why Ponoc chose to adapt "The Little Broomstick" over coming up with their own original work or adapting something else from a genre that hasn't been done to death.
The directors 2 films for Ghibli were Arrietty and When Marie was There, both adapted from English authors works and transplanted into a Japanese setting, so I guess it was something within his comfort zone for their first film.

Now will the Aussies and Yanks stop coming to a UK site to talk about this film, we're not getting it till May :mad: ;)

Greboruri

Brigade Leader
Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea, right?
I was referring to Mary Norton's "The Borrowers". Forgot about the adaptation of Earthesa.

The directors 2 films for Ghibli were Arrietty and When Marie was There, both adapted from English authors works and transplanted into a Japanese setting, so I guess it was something within his comfort zone for their first film.
I think the decision to adapt this book (which seems a little obscure) probably lies with the production committee, not the director. Japanese production committees are notoriously conservative and risk adverse.

Now will the Aussies and Yanks stop coming to a UK site to talk about this film, we're not getting it till May
With everything being digital today, I do not understand the four month delay for the UK. Or why we didn't get theatrical (or home video) releases of the two Masaaki Yuasa films. We are getting at least the first parts of the Eureka Seven and Code Geass compilation film series in cinemas here next month, which baffles me.

Last edited:

D1tchd1gger

Railgun
I promise you that Night is Short is waaay better than Lu. :D
I doubt it :p The review on this site put me off (and the fact it was on at 10pm).
For everyone else, especially if you like your stories to be clear and concise, proceed with extreme caution.
I just checked and found The Tatami Galaxy on Crunchyroll. Would you say if I like it then Night is Short is similar? Seems Yuasa is very hit and miss with people, see the reaction to Devilman Crybaby. Lots of people like it and many don't, I was some where in the middle by the end.

Dave1988

Thousand Master
Nakaimo 6/10. Meh it started off ok but then just got samey and annoying for me.and dunno why I just felt I knew the outcome of it all along

Baggie_Saiyan

Thousand Master
Now that I have had time to settle thoughts think I can a final score on these.

Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches-
Started off pretty fun but the last three episodes were a bore got way to dramatic. 7/10

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid- Was a genuinely charming show but the last episode was horrendous and brought the whole thing down to a 6/10 for me.

Greboruri

Brigade Leader
Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1

Second anime film in cinemas over here in as many months. This one is a compilation film, a genre I’m not too fond of. However it starts off really well with around 25 minutes of new animation depicting the battle known as the “Summer of Love” which was only hinted at in the original series. This part of the film is fantastic and battle it depicts is really well animated and looks spectacular. But once this battle is out of the way as well as a couple of very short newly animated scenes, it goes straight to the TV footage, which leads to the first problem with the film. For some reason they mustn’t been able to reformat the original 4:3 footage to cinema scope, as jarringly we go from the new animation in 16:9 format to the old TV footage in 4:3 format.

Normally in compilation films, the story is recounted in a sequential and linear fashion. Not so in this film. For some reason the director thought it would be interesting to retell the story completely out of sequence with only minimal voice over and tittle cards reading “Playback” or “Rewind” in between the scenes. Adding to the confusion is literally hundreds of on screen titles labelling everything from ships, character’s biometrics and even meals on a dinner table. Little of these add to the story and just adds to the confusion of the already out of sequence, schizophrenic retelling of the series. The most puzzling thing about this film is the almost complete absence of the Gekkostate and its crew. I think the total amount of screen time dedicated to them amounts to less than five minutes, though it's possibly less than three. It’s a really bizarre omission, as in the original TV series the Gekkostate is key to the plot of the show and the reason why the main character, Renton, wants to get out of the town he is stuck in. Instead the film’s main focus is on the episodes 19 to 24 and Renton’s relationship with Ray and Charles Beams. His relationship with Eureka is also touched on, but barely. A couple of people left the film about half way through the screening. It was easy to see why. It’s a really strange and poor retelling of the series. I can’t imagine how you’d follow any of the film unless you knew the original TV series inside out. 4.5 out of 10.

Last edited:

crashmatt

Death Scythe
I believe that film was screened at Scotland Loves Anime in Glasgow last October — in the presence of the director, who was there for a Q&A session.

That must've been embarrassing.
I think rehashing old series is a bad idea anyway. Unless you have a new story to tell it just sounds like a poor attempt at a cash in.