Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Space Brothers

This has taken a little while to watch. For such a long anime (which isn’t adapted from a shonen manga) the animation and story remains consistently great. It’s a nice blend of humour and drama. The long length of the show also allows charcter and situation to develop naturally. There really isn’t any filler per se, however in the middle of the series there’s three recap episodes in a row, which annoyed me a bit. In regards to the aerospace technology and the history of space travel, it’s really well researched.

The only real problems I had with the series are that the depictions of Americans and the country itself seems to based on the authors experience with American pop culture rather than reality. Amusingly some of the interactions, body language and gestures between the American (and some Russian) cast are utterly Japanese. Some of the candidates and astronauts themselves are a little too out there to be plausibly chosen by NASA to go into space. However the core relationship between the two brothers and how their paths ultimately diverge from their goal as children to go to moon and how they return to that path is really well written. The last quarter of the show as well as the ending turns a little bit bittersweet. I think the manga was still running when the show ended, so there isn’t a decisive ending per se, however to me it just seems a bit more realistic. For the most part I really liked the show and kept me entertained throughout. A couple of the arcs towards the end felt similar to previous arcs and didn’t seem to have any real purpose, so that let the show down a bit for me. 7.5 out of 10.

I've been giving the anime I've watched ratings out of five since I started posting in My Viewing Journal. Here's all of the ratings I've given so far:
Ranma 1/2 (4/5)
The Sacred Blacksmith (3.5/5)
Knights of Sidonia Battle for planet nine (4/5)
The Tatami Galaxy (4.5/5)
Sailor Moon/R (4/5)
Tokko (2.5/5)
Samurai Flamenco (4.5/5)
Tokyo ESP (4/5)
Penguindrum (4/5)
Sankarea (4/5)
Shakugan No shana seasons 1-3 (4/5, 3.5/5, 4/5)
Evangelion 1.11 (film) (4.5/5)
Shangri-La (4/5)
Shiki (4.5/5)
So I Can't Play H (3/5)
Spice and Wolf (4/5)
The Future Diary (4/5)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (4/5)
The Dissapearance of Nagato Chan (3/5)
The melancholy of Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya & Nyoron! Churuya-San (4/5)
One Punch Man (4.5/5)
Tokyo Ravens (3.5/5)
Trigun (4.5/5)
Tsubasa (4/5)
Utawareunomo (4.5/5)
Watamote (4/5)
Welcome to the NHK (4/5)
Wish upon the Plieades (2.5/5)
Xam'd lost memories (4/5)
A-Channel (3.5/5)
Aesthetica of a rogue Hero (3.5/5)
Steins;Gate (rewatch) (5/5)
Amagami SS/+ (3.5/5, 3/5)
A Silent Voice (film) (4.5/5)
Amnesia (2/5)
Angel Beats (4.5/5)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Rewatch) (5/5 All time favourite)
Baldr Force Exe (3.5/5)
Ben To (3/5)
Black Butler II (2.5/5)
Black Butler: Book of Circus (4/5)
Cat planet Cuties (3.5/5)
Code Geass/R2 (4/5, 3.5/5)
Daily Lives of High school boys (3.5/5)
Dance in the vampire Bund (3.5/5)
Date A Live/II (3.5/5, 3.5/5)
Diabolik Lovers (2.5/5)
Dusk maiden of amnesia (4/5)
Flowers of evil (3/5)
Golgo 13 (4/5)
Ground control to psychoelectric girl (3.5/5)
Gundam: Reconguista in G (3/5)
Gunslinger girl/II: Teatrino (4/5, 3.5/5)
Haibane Renmei (3.5/5)
Hakkenden: eight dogs of the east (3.5/5)
Hetalia: World Series (4/5)
Hidamari Sketch (3.5/5)
Hunter X Hunter (4/5)
Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon? (3.5/5)
Is this a Zombie? (3.5/5)
Invaders of the Rokujyoma?! (3.5/5)
Kids on the Slope (4/5)
K-on! And K-on! The movie (4.5/5)
Kurau Phantom memory (3.5/5)
Maoyu (3.5/5)
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (3.5/5)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (4/5)
Little witch Academia (4/5)
Moonphase (3.5/5)
Jojo's Bizarre adventures: Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency (4/5)
Lupin the Third: the woman called Fujiko Mine (4/5)
Lupin the Third Part 1 (3.5/5)
Lupin the Third Part 2 (Incomplete)
Moribito (3.5/5)
Night Raid 1931 (3.5/5)
Didn't realise I'd watched so much
As we're at the end of the year I've listed the rest of 2017's anime viewing.
Nobunaga 3.5/5
Nobunagun 4/5
Noragami Aragoto 4/5
Overlord 4/5
Persona 4 4.5/5
Ping pong 3.5/5
Prison School 4/5
Samurai 7 4/5
Sekirei 3.5/5
Selector infected WIXOSS/ Selector Spread WIXOSS 4/5
Space Dandy (rewatch) 5/5
Strike Witches 3.5/5
My Hero Academia season 2 4.5/5

October 2017:
Tenchi Muyo/ryo Ohki 4/5, 3.5/5
Texhnolyze 3.5/5
The perfect Insider 4/5
Tiger and bunny 4/5
Tokyo Ghoul OVA 4/5
Tokyo Ghoul/Root A 3.5/5, 3.5/5
Total eclipse 3.5/5
Blade Runner 2022 3.5/5
Wanna be the strongest in the world 2.5/5
When they Cry/Kai 4/5, 4/5
A certain magical index II 4/5
A certain scientific railgun S 4/5
---took a break to rewatch Avatar the last airbender

November 2017
Air 3.5/5
Amagi Brilliant Park 4/5
Castle of Cagliostro 4/5
Appleseed XIII 3.5/5
Aquarion 3.5/5
Aquarion Evol 3.5/5
Assassination Classroom season 1 4/5
Attack on Titan Junior High 3.5/5
Berserk golden age arc trilogy 3.5/5, 4/5, 4/5
Black Lagoon (rewatch) 4.5/5
Black Lagoon Roberta's blood trail 4/5
Bleach episodes 1-63 (rewatch) 4/5
Blue Exorcist/Kyoto Saga 3.5/5
C3 3.5/5
Charlotte 3.5/5
Chrome shelled regios 3.5/5
Devil is a Part Timer 3.5/5
Devil May Cry 3/5
Eureka Seven 4/5
Food wars!/the second plate 4/5, 4/5
Ghost in the shell Arise Borders 1-4 (rewatch) 3.5/5, 4/5, 4/5, 4/5
Ghost in the Shell Arise- Alternative Architecture 3.5/5
Ghost in the Shell the new movie 4/5

December 2017:
Ghost in the Shell SAC (Rewatch) 4.5/5
Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig (rewatch) 4.5/5
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence 4/5
Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society 4/5
Girls und panzer 3.5/5
Haganai 2.5/5
Hellsing (Rewatch) 4/5
Hellsing Ultimate (Rewatch) 4/5
Hidamari Sketch series 2 3.5/5
Himouto 3.5/5
Hyperdimension neptunia 3.5/5
Jojo's Bizarre adventures: Stardust Crusaders 4/5
K 3.5/5
Lupin the 3rd Jigens gravestone 4/5
Lupin the 3rd: Island of assassins 4/5
Magikano Dropped
Martian successor Nadesico/movie 4/5, 2.5/5
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 4/5
Naruto rewatch 4/5
Food Wars! The Third Plate 4/5
Inuyashiki: Last Hero 4/5
BBB & B 4/5
Naruto Shippuden partial rewatch 4/5
Nisekoi Season 1 2.5/5
Okami-San 3.5/5

Devilman Crybaby

Being reasonably well acquianted with the story of Devilman, I was a little wary when I realised how close Crybaby was going to be to the original material, but having now completed it, I was very very impressed. I felt there were a couple of missteps and the loose visual style will certainly not please everyone, but it's a remarkable achievement for all involved that they managed to condense and update a rambly, forty year old property into something so fresh, complete and coherent. My only disappointment is that Science Saru have not been handed the upcoming Cutie Honey remake - on the strength of this, it seems to have their name written all over it.

As we're at the end of the year I've listed the rest of 2017's anime viewing.
Nobunaga 3.5/5
Nobunagun 4/5
Noragami Aragoto 4/5
Overlord 4/5
Persona 4 4.5/5
Ping pong 3.5/5
Prison School 4/5
Samurai 7 4/5
Sekirei 3.5/5
Selector infected WIXOSS/ Selector Spread WIXOSS 4/5
Space Dandy (rewatch) 5/5
Strike Witches 3.5/5
My Hero Academia season 2 4.5/5

October 2017:
Tenchi Muyo/ryo Ohki 4/5, 3.5/5
Texhnolyze 3.5/5
The perfect Insider 4/5
Tiger and bunny 4/5
Tokyo Ghoul OVA 4/5
Tokyo Ghoul/Root A 3.5/5, 3.5/5
Total eclipse 3.5/5
Blade Runner 2022 3.5/5
Wanna be the strongest in the world 2.5/5
When they Cry/Kai 4/5, 4/5
A certain magical index II 4/5
A certain scientific railgun S 4/5
---took a break to rewatch Avatar the last airbender

November 2017
Air 3.5/5
Amagi Brilliant Park 4/5
Castle of Cagliostro 4/5
Appleseed XIII 3.5/5
Aquarion 3.5/5
Aquarion Evol 3.5/5
Assassination Classroom season 1 4/5
Attack on Titan Junior High 3.5/5
Berserk golden age arc trilogy 3.5/5, 4/5, 4/5
Black Lagoon (rewatch) 4.5/5
Black Lagoon Roberta's blood trail 4/5
Bleach episodes 1-63 (rewatch) 4/5
Blue Exorcist/Kyoto Saga 3.5/5
C3 3.5/5
Charlotte 3.5/5
Chrome shelled regios 3.5/5
Devil is a Part Timer 3.5/5
Devil May Cry 3/5
Eureka Seven 4/5
Food wars!/the second plate 4/5, 4/5
Ghost in the shell Arise Borders 1-4 (rewatch) 3.5/5, 4/5, 4/5, 4/5
Ghost in the Shell Arise- Alternative Architecture 3.5/5
Ghost in the Shell the new movie 4/5

December 2017:
Ghost in the Shell SAC (Rewatch) 4.5/5
Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig (rewatch) 4.5/5
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence 4/5
Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society 4/5
Girls und panzer 3.5/5
Haganai 2.5/5
Hellsing (Rewatch) 4/5
Hellsing Ultimate (Rewatch) 4/5
Hidamari Sketch series 2 3.5/5
Himouto 3.5/5
Hyperdimension neptunia 3.5/5
Jojo's Bizarre adventures: Stardust Crusaders 4/5
K 3.5/5
Lupin the 3rd Jigens gravestone 4/5
Lupin the 3rd: Island of assassins 4/5
Magikano Dropped
Martian successor Nadesico/movie 4/5, 2.5/5
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 4/5
Naruto rewatch 4/5
Food Wars! The Third Plate 4/5
Inuyashiki: Last Hero 4/5
BBB & B 4/5
Naruto Shippuden partial rewatch 4/5
Nisekoi Season 1 2.5/5
Okami-San 3.5/5
Either you are far to kind with ratings or you have a knack for picking decent shows!

Also Space Dandy 5/5? I totally didn't see that coming :p

Either you are far to kind with ratings or you have a knack for picking decent shows!

Also Space Dandy 5/5? I totally didn't see that coming :p
Haha I don't tend to watch shows I know I won't enjoy. There's a few series' that I've disliked (Oreimo, Amnesia, Gilgamesh) or thought were meh (Haganai, Nisekoi) but I'm fairly strict with my rating. It just seems that I like a lot of what I've watched, which is good though since I buy most of the anime I watch. (I'm glad I don't own a lot of titles that I didn't like ;))

Edit: of course Space Dandy gets a top rating, baby! It's Shinichiro Watanabe's best series.

Haha I don't tend to watch shows I know I won't enjoy. There's a few series' that I've disliked (Oreimo, Amnesia, Gilgamesh) or thought were meh (Haganai, Nisekoi) but I'm fairly strict with my rating. It just seems that I like a lot of what I've watched, which is good though since I buy most of the anime I watch. (I'm glad I don't own a lot of titles that I didn't like ;))

Edit: of course Space Dandy gets a top rating, baby! It's Shinichiro Watanabe's best series.
Whoa you thought Haganai was mediocre? That is my perfect go to comedy anime!

Anyway that is the biggest reason I am scared to blind buy anime without seeing the series before in some capacity, don't like the idea of owning something that you dislike.

Whoa you thought Haganai was mediocre? That is my perfect go to comedy anime!

Anyway that is the biggest reason I am scared to blind buy anime without seeing the series before in some capacity, don't like the idea of owning something that you dislike.
I couldn't get into it that much, ended up checking out where the series went from where the second series left off and the ending just frustrated me.

Now I have a Crunchyroll subscription I'll be more likely to check a series out before buying should I want to acquire it. I've been lucky so far with my purchases, and should I really dislike a series I can always sell it off. Thankfully I haven't spent more than £20 on a title I didn't like so it wasn't too frustrating an experience.

I couldn't get into it that much, ended up checking out where the series went from where the second series left off and the ending just frustrated me.

Now I have a Crunchyroll subscription I'll be more likely to check a series out before buying should I want to acquire it. I've been lucky so far with my purchases, and should I really dislike a series I can always sell it off. Thankfully I haven't spent more than £20 on a title I didn't like so it wasn't too frustrating an experience.
That is not bad! Yeah now FUNi in the UK I can legally check shows out before watching (I am more of a dub guy).

And re: Haganai, yeah I tend to forget about the second season when talking about it should have noted just the first season, the second season isn't great the ending to it sucks and the original source material gets even worse! But still the great first season exists and that is a ok!

That is not bad! Yeah now FUNi in the UK I can legally check shows out before watching (I am more of a dub guy).

And re: Haganai, yeah I tend to forget about the second season when talking about it should have noted just the first season, the second season isn't great the ending to it sucks and the original source material gets even worse! But still the great first season exists and that is a ok!
I'm more of a dub guy myself as well, all the more reason to buy a series if I've watched it on Crunchyroll beforehand.

Your lie in April disappointed!!!!
Ok so I hear this series is a real feels train and I get it in the Christmas mystery box, only recently went for watching it. It's a real guy meets girl sort of thing, but with many of the characters being the best at what they do from the word go and MC not doing what he's best at because well he's depressing. Whenever he meets up with the female lead he kind of goes all poetic in his mind but it falls flat as he's really monotone. The female lead I get is supposed to be the "ideal" girl in the series and although she shows a lot of passion to me she seems really pretentious and self centred. Halfway through part 1 Mc's friends get that he might be unhappy, after spending that half of the series forcing him into something he doesn't want to do. I know why MC is depressed, all of his friends are a****les! I don't really get why I should feel for most of the characters
5/10
Honestly I don't know why I didn't wait a few hours to post something more positive, I liked the twist of the last ep of RWBY I've yet to watch the new 'zilla anime, I've started enjoying ito's new horror series and I'm wondering if I should re-watch devilman crybaby to get why lots of people liked it so much, I reckon I could get past the art style and dubbing if I did but I'd still hate some of the character development, I just don't get why anyone respects or trusts ryuo when he's clearly a sociopath and never really hides it

Mary and the Witch's Flower

Saw this in the cinema today (original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles). Well, the film just felt really derivative I'm afraid. Like a pastiche of every Ghibli film of the last 15 years. Studio Ponoc seems to be trying fill the void Studio Ghibli left with knockoff feature films. I mean even their logo mimics Ghibli's. I really like parts of the film, but the designs felt like left overs from a Ghibli production. The story had a lot of problems too. Being adapted from a British children's novel from the early 1970's, a lot of the early part of the story just felt out place as I think the film is meant to be set in the modern day English countryside (there's also a couple of very Japanese traits portrayed in the film which British people would just not do which amused me). The other part which didn't work for me is the journey Mary went on, from being unsure about herself to being comfortable with herself was really ham-fisted, as was the development of the relationship between her and Peter. Add in the fact Ghibli has previous produced two films based on children's or young adult's fantasy novels, and the with the setting in a school of magic, the whole film just really feels uninspired and like it's riding the coattails of other films. You just really have to question why Ponoc chose to adapt "The Little Broomstick" over coming up with their own original work or adapting something else from a genre that hasn't been done to death. I did like a lot of the film from the half way mark to the finale, but overall it's a really mediocre film. 6 out of 10, and I'm being quite generous.

Add in the fact Ghibli has previous produced two films based on children's or young adult's fantasy novels

Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea, right?

You just really have to question why Ponoc chose to adapt "The Little Broomstick" over coming up with their own original work or adapting something else from a genre that hasn't been done to death.

The directors 2 films for Ghibli were Arrietty and When Marie was There, both adapted from English authors works and transplanted into a Japanese setting, so I guess it was something within his comfort zone for their first film.

Now will the Aussies and Yanks stop coming to a UK site to talk about this film, we're not getting it till May :mad: ;)

Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea, right?
I was referring to Mary Norton's "The Borrowers". Forgot about the adaptation of Earthesa.

The directors 2 films for Ghibli were Arrietty and When Marie was There, both adapted from English authors works and transplanted into a Japanese setting, so I guess it was something within his comfort zone for their first film.
I think the decision to adapt this book (which seems a little obscure) probably lies with the production committee, not the director. Japanese production committees are notoriously conservative and risk adverse.

Now will the Aussies and Yanks stop coming to a UK site to talk about this film, we're not getting it till May
With everything being digital today, I do not understand the four month delay for the UK. Or why we didn't get theatrical (or home video) releases of the two Masaaki Yuasa films. We are getting at least the first parts of the Eureka Seven and Code Geass compilation film series in cinemas here next month, which baffles me.

Last edited:
I promise you that Night is Short is waaay better than Lu. :D
I doubt it :p The review on this site put me off (and the fact it was on at 10pm).
For everyone else, especially if you like your stories to be clear and concise, proceed with extreme caution.
I just checked and found The Tatami Galaxy on Crunchyroll. Would you say if I like it then Night is Short is similar? Seems Yuasa is very hit and miss with people, see the reaction to Devilman Crybaby. Lots of people like it and many don't, I was some where in the middle by the end.

Back