Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episodes 1-26

I'm not a big fan of rating things, but I needed to gush about it somewhere. In short, if you enjoy space operas, you should watch the hell out of it if you can.

I'm a sucker for stuff set in space, and I've been looking for something as enjoyable as Gunbuster for a while now, I feel this comes pretty close. It's a remake of the 70s show of (almost) the same name (I've not watched the original, so can't tell you how close it is, though there are some new characters apparently) updated to look all flashy.

For me, it won on all fronts. The characters were all well defined; there was not a single point where I begrudged any of the cast getting screen time. It was very pretty to look at; most of the space battles are done in CG and stand as a good example of how to do CG right (there are a couple of dodgy instances of people/bugs in CG, but this only happens during one episode). The score was amazing too; I'm assuming they took inspiration from the original series again as most of the tracks sounded to be from around that era, and the singing, oh god the singing.

If I had to level any objective criticism it'd be that the show is full of deus ex machina moments, and that it throws T&A around a couple of times for seemingly no reason. Like any good space opera really then...

It also has one of the best OP ever. Remember to salute as you watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirty pair..........

I love this series...... I love it. Charlie's angels eat your heart out.

This series really is Charlies angles but with two women.

But they seem to do more damage then good.

The series has aged but I like old anime anyways

The characters... kie and yuri kick ass

It's more like a mission of the week sort of anime

The other ovas and such are good too.

8/10

Tsukimonogatari-9/10

I really liked this one, although not quite as much as those seen in Second Season, there wasn't much in it. First off, yet again, I feel like naming this episode after Ononoki isn't very apt, this is very much Araragi's story. Kyomi Vampire probably would have been better (Although I'm pretty sure that's the name of the upcoming film) but I digress. Right off the bat, this arc really amazed me with the art and animation. I probably sound like a broken record by now with my Monogatari mini reviews but it really is among some of the nicest and visually interesting shows around. This arc really set a new bar in terms of art and animation for the show. Very colourful and well animated. The larger and larger budgets really do show through. The new title cards were also a welcome addition, they're quite dynamic and are more visually interesting, although they're harder to read quickly as they come in from different angles, although they aren't necessary really. The development Araragi saw in this wasn't huge but was still very enjoyable to watch. I really like the idea that him being dependent on his Vampire powers and his recklessness is costing him his humanity and weather or not he is willing to sacrifice his humanity to save people and it really adds to his character. This puts both Araragi and Shinobu in a very interesting position for the rest of the series. Unfortunately, I didn't think Ononoki got the development I was looking for. She still doesn't really have much of a character, although she is quite funny and likeable. The humour was here quite a bit actually in contrast to some of the more recent arcs which I appreciated. There was also ample amounts of fan service that didn't get in the way that much and was enjoyable. Overall, I really liked this arc, quite a bit more than Hanamonogatari anyway, even if it isn't up to some of the arcs in Second Season.

And with that, I have caught up with Monogatari. It took me 3 months on and off and it's been a hell of a ride. Now I just have to sit and wait patiently for the movie and the next series. I did peek at what the next book was called was for a taster of what's coming and it looks like my many many questions about Ougi might be answered

City Hunter 1 Review (TV Series, 51 Episodes, 1987)
bo41jrum.jpg
City Hunter is a fantastic, hilarious, heartfelt show that not only hits all of the right notes; but it does so with flying colors and keeps its audience fully entertained from start to end as it twists and turns through some of the most hilarious and yet emotional scenarios in a show of this fashion to ever grace the medium. From the absolutely fantastic character designs by the man, the myth and the legend Tsukasa Hojo, to the gorgeous Soundtrack, City Hunter does everything within its power to make each and every episode memorable and each and every character lovable. You’ll laugh and you’ll most definitely shed some tears as you follow these characters throughout 51 impeccable episodes.

Animated by Studio Sunrise, released all the way back in April 1987 and directed by Kenji Kodama, director of Detective Conan Case Closed, each episode follows an episodic format with each of these episodes trailing a very similar story beat. The main character, the lovable Ryou Saeba is what’s known as a sweeper (the type without a broom), a private eye and a man who knows his way around a gun, namely his trusty Colt Python, a .357 Magnum revolver. When people have a problem; they come to this guy in order to get them sorted out. From people who want to get rid of old habits to people whom have old habits chasing them as their pasts catch up to them (from the Yakuza and all sorts of other nasty people), anything is game for the impressionable Ryou…as long as that person happens to be a beautiful lady! Exceptions are made, and he’ll certainly help out a man in need, but a pretty girl has to be in the equation somewhere down the line in order to gain his attention and his heart. Ryou may come across as pervy, often being called a sexual manic, and these scenes are certainly hilarious, but without a doubt his heart is in the right place and this is one of the key elements in making City Hunter above and beyond any other show that’s cut from the same cloth. The show not only has tact, it has heart.

Hey Mr. Private Eye
Oh help me with my private life
Where oh where can he be
Find that man for me

Oh hey Mr. Private Eye
I keep rememberin' our private nights
You gotta bring back my love to me

The lyrics above from one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack (Mr Private Eye) really drive home the relationship between Ryou and his clients. He’s a man who helps people find their lost love, a person who helps people love themselves again, mends their hearts and helps them to move on, forward to the next day, selflessly as he teaches them to love again. Ryou is a person who throws himself in the line of fire in order to help others, people who he often doesn’t even know. It’s a job to him, and it pays well, but it’s clear that the sentiment is what drives Saeba, the smiles on the faces of his clients is what pushes him forward and makes each and every day worth it to him. This along with many other personality traits are what make Ryou a character whom you root for, who you want to see succeed and one day find his own true [STRIKE]mokkori[/STRIKE] love. He’s handsome (thanks to the amazing designs by Tsukasa Hojo) and that adds to the charm and endearment you share towards him as he goofs around like the lovable oaf that he is. Make no mistake, like another one of my favorite characters in anime, Gotou from Patlabor, his goofiness is often a front to hide his more serious side, a pissed off Ryou is somebody you don’t want to be in the crosshairs of. Saeba is sharp as a pin and skilled in all walks of life, well outside of getting in bed with a girl I guess! The best marksman in the world, shooting off the belt buckle of a man a kilometer away is just another day on the job for Ryou, so you know when somebody walks from a fire fight against him alive that he let them live. This actually adds a lot to his character, as you see him first hand giving people chances to redeem themselves. In fact, just the mere utterance of his name sends shivers down the spines of criminals, people who generally have heard of the name City Hunter but have no idea what he looks like, like the urban legend that he is. Looks can be deceiving, and the silly Ryou is not what he often seems to be and that definitely adds to the charm of it all.

This adds a lot to the comedy of City Hunter, as Ryou taunts his foes before embarrassing them as they trip and stumble over themselves. Clients generally don’t take him seriously at first, with girls mistaking him for a pervert, neglecting his help, but as he gets to know them and they get to know him a beautiful bond is often formed between his clients and himself. These are the moments where City Hunter shines, and where City Hunter becomes a truly heartfelt show, a show in which you love each and every character dearly. An episode in particular for example revolved around a girl who was once saved by a man when she was a child, and ever since that day she’s kept away from men, hoping to find that man again. It happens that the man in question looks a lot like Ryou, so he’s hired in order to reinvigorate her love and open her heart up again, so she can finally love again…but was that man all those years ago actually Ryou? These are the types of scenarios you find in City Hunter, and it’s absolutely brilliant.

The art for City Hunter is truly something that I appreciate, with the character designs being iconic and attractive, which is a word I’d also use to describe the females of this show. Make no mistake, the girls of City Hunter are truly formidable allies and enemies of his, with many of them being Ryou’s equal, or damn close and sometimes even his superior, forever keeping him in his toes. But he wouldn’t have it any other way, because he’s Ryou. From follow private eyes, to scientist, princesses, police officers, a gifted croupier, a revolutionary girl, singers and actresses, the females are all talented, diverse and important people in this story, and what makes them more fun to see is how their looks can often be deceiving as they punch well above their own weight and beyond, often protecting themselves without the need for Ryou at all. Sometimes all they need is a face that believes in them, that makes them at ease before they tackle their issues head on and Ryou is often that face that calms the wavering heart. Ryou often plays the part of the stabilizers on a bike, hold them up until they learn to ride by themselves, as the wind blows in their hair and they learn to be young at heart again, free from their troubles

It’s clear that the defining element to City Hunter and its mastery is its characters, and the voice acting has a huge play in that. The Japanese voice cast for this show is sublime, and what I’d describe as utter perfection. Ryou goes from ditzy and silly to slick and serious at the drop of a hat, and this coupled with his mannerisms and character design works in order to create a dynamic and fun character that’s both lovable and desirable. His partner in crime, Kaori is also a favorite of mine and for good reason. A lady who works close with Ryou, living under the same roof, they often exhibit a sense of resentment for each other in an endearing way which brings to mind the image of a married couple, bickering and shouting at each other, but in the end are just two people who truly trust each other as they entrust their lives in the arms of one another. The partnership and bond of these two is very fun to witness grow as you see them in hilarious situations but also emotional ones. These are two people who deep down care for each other, and it’s a beautiful thing to see bloom.

The music for City Hunter is easily a highlight, embracing its 80’s life; it’s jazzy, cheesy and full of emotion with each song doing a stand-up job of signalling what type of scene is coming next. You know something heartfelt is coming your way when you hear The Shining of Cat's Eye play, and you know Saeba is going to do something badass when you hear Want Your Love. The music is energetic, dynamic and punchy, unashamed to tap into its cheesy 80’s action heritage. I will say that the verity of music is a bit lacking, with the same select pieces being used at the appropriate times time and time again, with even the opening music being used within the show in the background many times, but in the end I personally didn’t mind this at all as what’s there is top notch and straight up my alley. The opening and closing themes are also fantastic, with one of the greatest fade-ins in any anime, period. Easily a top 10 soundtrack for me when it’s all said and done and easily a top 10 show to boot. Funny how that works.

Even though I previously mentioned how each episode is episodic in nature, with the beats often being the same from episode to episode, yet each episode still feels truly fresh and interesting, which again is thanks to the great cast that appear in each and every one of those 51 episodes. A girl grieving about a lost lover wanting to be able to move on, a girl who has to play a game of pool in order to keep her families bar, a father who wants to see his little girl again after being framed for a hit and run, a princess who wants just a few days of freedom, to live a normal life even if just for a few days, each scenario is emotional, funny and engrossing and satisfying to watch. You care about the outcomes and the relationships feel truly genuine. It’s a show that’s not a downer, and is made to make its audience happy, so it’s no mystery why I had a massive smile plastered across my face during each episode, as I giggled and laughed to no end with each passing minute.

City Hunter is without a doubt a show that everybody should see, it’s on the longer side (51 Episodes) with 4 seasons in total bringing it to a total of 140+ episodes, and a few spin offs and films in the mix, so it’s a long trek, and one that even I feel that I’ve only just begun. The story goes on, and with it I too go on, eagerly awaiting the next episode, wanting to know what happens next, where the characters go and where they find themselves next has become a part of my daily routine. Whatever the case, City Hunter is one of the greatest shows I’ve had the pleasure of watching. It’s funny, genuinely so with an amazing cast of characters that you care for, with each episode reeling in a new story for you to enjoy, all wrapped up with a soundtrack that gets your blood flowing, and the smiles long, a show that’s pure, and upfront about its intentions. A show that’s aged with grace, with comedy as sharp and funny as ever, with each and every gag hitting all the right spots, you’ll find yourself entertained during the 21 hours of animation goodness. Drama, comedy, action, M&M’s and beautiful girls, it’s all here, in the city that never sleeps, with its watchful protector looking over as long as one beautiful girl still exists, ready to strike. At the end of it all, through thick and thin, with chance and luck, all I can truly say is, Mokkori!
10/10

A must watch, the pinnacle of shounen, and the prototype for shows like GTO and even Bebop. Great music, sublime art with some of the best character designs to grace anime, with humor that hits all of the right notes. A must watch, and a show I won't soon be forgetting, Mr. Private Eye. Now if you don’t mind I’m going to get some M&M’s…

oX504mcm.jpg

tToTwmMm.jpg

1Mcfc0Am.jpg

GET SOME NUTS! Wait, wrong snack.

Ben-to

I don't know if this series is generic freaking good cause I have seen loads of anime with simple settings that are AMAZING... like death note with a kid with a book that kills people.....

This is about a kid who fights for half priced lunch boxses at the shops because he has a low allowance.....

To be honest... It's a fun series to watch.. I mean really fun.

The comedy is funny
The characters at times are stereotypes but likeable
The story....... very simple

It's not a masterpiece but it just feels diffrent some how from the other series I have seen.... I would say that shows like this are generic but it has a uniqueness to it.

8.5/10

qaiz said:
City Hunter 1 Review

Pretty much anything I could have added has already been covered (er, a girl doing aerobics in one episode randomly has the Reanimator logo on her shirt? That was kind of cool. Also a goon helicopter pilot in one of the others is clearly Jigen from Lupin III), but I would just like to express my suport for this post and its contents.

Sounds like I should watch City Hunter but is it available legally at the moment (preferably affordably too)? Otherwise I might just have to wait until Right Stuf or whoever re-releases it (if ever).

Gunsmith Cats: Review (1995, OVA)

Gunsmith Cats: Review (1995, OVA)

Gunsmith Cats is a slick, cool and stylish OVA from the year 1995 and directed by Takeshi Mori (Otaku no Video). Its only 3 episodes so not much really happens on the outside, but truth be told there’s a lot of depth here in terms of attention to detail that both fans of cars, guns and comedy will thoroughly enjoy as you follow these two hilarious characters on their day to day lives as Gunsmiths.

Set in the city of Chicago, bounty hunters Rally Vincent, a sharpshooter with unmatched skill and an expert driver, and her partner, the cute Minnie-May, an explosives expert work in their shop when one day they’re approached for a very specific job. Together they make up the Gunsmith Cats. The set up itself, as well as the plot is very simple and nothing too out of the ordinary, however what makes Gunsmith Cats enjoyable from start to finish is the fun and energetic cast that make up the heart of this OVA. Usually I watch things with subtitles but I went for a dub in this instance for whatever reason and I have to say that I’m glad that I did so as the voice acting was a huge positive to this show.

Minnie-May who makes up the first half the gunsmith duo was voiced by Kimberly Yates, and she delivers a super cute and hilarious performance that has this character an instant favorite of mine already. Her partner, Irene Vincent, better known as Rally is voiced by Amanda Winn Lee, known for her performance as Rei in the Evangelion series, and again a top notch performance, one which truly convinced me that both her and May are nothing but the best of buddies on and off screen as they bounce of each other effortlessly. The conversations and banter truly feel genuine and that goes a mighty long way in a show like this, one which has you spending a vast majority of the time with these two girls who not only work together, but live together. Rally is a lot more raspy, but tends to show off her more feminine side here and there, both hardworking and fanatical while also being sexy and alluring, while May is a lot more childlike and silly, being a 17 year old girl, that makes sense. She’s a young girl in a grown up world, but she sure knows how to look after herself, as she tosses grenades and explosives out like confetti. It gives her a rush she says, with a huge grin on her adorable face. She’s one tough character. I really love these character designs an they're easily some of my favorites in recent memory. I will say that it was hard not to hear Asuka whenever Tiffany Grant spoke or Misato whenever Allison Keith spoke, with Gunsmith being her first role if I’m correct. It was kind of funny to be honest but enjoyable, like the show itself.

The 3 episodes all follow a single narrative arc, but each one focuses on a different motif, from the first episode which has heavy focus on gun action to the second episode which focuses on the cars and the high speed chases while the last episode caps everything off with a one on one dual. This allows for the animators to make the guns and cars characters themselves as they are brought into each episode in a meaningful way which helps pave a general aesthetic to each episode. Everything feels balanced as not one thing has precedence over the other but everything still flows together to create a single, cohesive show. The Gun episode isn’t just the gun episode and the car episode isn’t just the car episode, each one mixes all the elements together to allow for all of the set pieces to fall into place naturally.

Art director Kazuo Nagai does a wonderful job of making the city of Chicago come to life, as the city doesn’t feel like the make shift parody city you usually find when anime series try and recreate foreign places. It’s almost like you can feel the wind hitting your face as you take a stroll across the windy city. This of course goes a long way in achieving the realism they pursued when making this series. Creator, Kenichi Sonoda has a huge fascination with both cars and guns, namely the Shelby GT 500 and the CZ 75 respectively. From the facial expressions of the characters to the proportions of their bodies and the clothes that they wear, a fine level of detail can be seen, with an emphasis on making everything look as real as possible. Professional fashion designers were brought into the studio during character designs in order to help make these characters that are as realistic and natural as possible, and it shows. Sure being a show from 1995 means that the fashion is a little dated, but nevertheless they still happen to look really cool and the attention to detail still shines through. In November 1994, the principle cast and staff went over to Chicago in order to get a feel for the city, taking pictures of anything and everything, including visiting a gun shop, getting their hands on the guns and using them within the shooting range. The staff also visited an actual police academy in order to understand more in regards to the handling of the guns and various weapons in order to add an added layer of realism to the series.

A Shelby GT 500 is the choice of transport for Rally, and its inclusion was in part due to Sonoda’s fascination with films like the 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds, Vanishing Point and Bullitt, and just the general specs and design. The crew actually recorded the car itself including its sounds that they then used in the show itself while in Chicago, since getting a hold of such a car in Japan was pretty hard, with Sonoda comparing his fascination to the car with allure a Nissan Skyline GT-R has for westerners. The gun she uses is the Czech 9mm CZ 75 Full Automatic Pistol, also a favorite of Sonoda’s due to the specifications which impressed him. He thought that a gun fanatic like Rally would use such a gun. The gun is super detailed in the show due to Sonoda’s fascination with it. From the short recoil to the slick and slender profile, it’s an attractive looking bit of equipment in the hands of Rally.
A lot of effort has gone into depicting the weaponry within this 3 episode OVA, with over 100 variants of guns from handguns and machine guns to bazookas being visible. From the way the characters hold and fire their guns to the way in which the cars move and sound, a lot of effort has gone into making everything feel true to life, even if the average person would be none the wiser.
With music inspired by the Lupin III series, it feels like a precursor for shows like Cowboy Bebop, the fantastic opening also giving me the very same vibes. The show is very jazzy, with the OVA feeling like an American crime drama, both gritty and raw. The soundtrack does a stand-up job of articulating this feeling, although on their own, only the opening and closing themes are truly something I’d listen to on my music player outside of the show. The music works well within the confinements of the series, and that’s what matters.
In the end, Gunsmith Cats is a highly enjoyable OVA, which is both short and straight to the point. Don’t come here expecting loads of depth and character development, but watch the show for the level of detail and silky smooth animation and attractive character designs. Even so, don’t let the details get to you too much, this is a show that you can and should relax while watching, soaking in all of the environments. Gunsmith Cats is a very fun series that entertains and leaves a smile on your face unlike many shows of recent memory.
10/10, 100% recommended.

Ya got taste qaiz, you remind me of me back when I had more enthusiasm for writing reviews.

Sonoda is up there in my pantheon between Shirow and Tsukasa Dokite by the right hand of Oshii so obviously I enjoyed Gunsmith Cats quite a lot (I still say the manga is better though, I'll fight you Fabio). In story and character terms I do think it works much better as a companion piece to the manga than as a stand alone series (plus with the manga you get best girl fun) but you're not wrong about its technical accomplishments - It is a beautifully realised piece of work.

Also if anyone wants a copy of Gunsmith Cats I have four DVDs of it which I bought when I saw them for only £1.50 each with the thought that they might appreciate in value. I don't think they did.

Persona 4 - 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this - and this is coming from someone who's never even played the game (I suppose that makes it a slightly weird way to first experience the franchise). The earlier episodes are much stronger, where it takes each character episode by episode and builds up their backstory/troubles before solving them. I love the colour/coding and visual style across the series too - it feels really distinct and fresh, and that's without even touching on the incredible soundtrack. Narukami is a great lead too - minimalist without being bland like so many 'harem' leads are, with just the right amount of snark, in a similar vein to Haruhi's Kyon. The final third didn't resonate as much with me, but the last episode is certainly a visual spectacle. Chie for best girl, right?

Dangaioh - 5.5

Oh man, this has to be the 'best' worst classic Manga UK dub from back in the day after Violence Jack. So many hilarious swears - I hadn't laughed so much in a long time. The plot is pretty second rate, but there's some suitably dated hot mecha action, and I liked the ridiculous sense of bombast to it. It reminded me a bit of Gurren Lagan in a way in terms of how theatrical it gets at times - the villains are suitably nasty, and come out with some absolutely corking lines.

Madox 01 - 5

Another pretty disposable entry from the Manga collection - more enjoyable than some of worst ones (Dark Myth, anyone?) but hardly one of the better ones. The dub here isn't even funny, just awful - some of the lines from the love interest couldn't have been more phoned in if she'd tried. Anyway, typical mech-gone-wild antics; at least it didn't outstay its welcome, clocking in at well under an hour.

Dante's Inferno - 4.5

I had this sitting on my shelf from about two years back when I brought it in an HMV clearance sale and figured I should finally bite the bullet and watch it. And yeah, it's awful, absolutely awful - typical 'western' take on what anime should apparently be. Only the segments done by Manglobe and Production IG look any good, and the others from Korean studios are absolutely dog ugly - like the cheapest animation ever. A rubbish dub and second rate video-game plot don't exactly help either. The only merits was seeing how they actually tackled the original source material (I read Dante's Inferno at Uni).

ayase said:
I enjoyed Gunsmith Cats quite a lot (I still say the manga is better though, I'll fight you Fabio)

Much as I enjoyed the oav, I'd be inclined to agree. For an anime original storyline, they did a good job with it, but it felt like it had all been dialled down a bit from the manga. Can't say I missed the cringeworthy trouser-bailout scene though.

Mobile Suit Z Gundam - 10

Tomino's finest hour IMHO; Z Gundam does so many things right, it builds on the universe so expertly developed in the original TV series, a great cast, an awesome collection of mobile suit designs, spectacular action sequences, cool music and a gripping and dramatic story that stays gripping and dramatic throughout its 50 episodes.

I've seen it many times in the last 12 years and it stands up on every rewatch. This is from the golden era of Sunrise mecha shows and to be honest it saddens me a bit that long epics like this aren't really made anymore.

It still remains my favourite anime TV series.

Lutga said:
Dante's Inferno - 4.5

I had this sitting on my shelf from about two years back when I brought it in an HMV clearance sale and figured I should finally bite the bullet and watch it. And yeah, it's awful, absolutely awful - typical 'western' take on what anime should apparently be. Only the segments done by Manglobe and Production IG look any good, and the others from Korean studios are absolutely dog ugly - like the cheapest animation ever. A rubbish dub and second rate video-game plot don't exactly help either. The only merits was seeing how they actually tackled the original source material (I read Dante's Inferno at Uni).

I agree as well, such a bad film. Only a couple of the segments were decent at the best, the others were just horrible. I think my rating of 6 was a bit to generous looking back on it now, your rating is right on the mark. The video game i found to be a pretty enjoyable hack and slash game, quite similar to God of War. I've heard the Bayonetta anime film (which is based on the game of the same name) is just as bad, looks like anime is another place that can't get video game adaptations right.

Shiki/Shiki Specials (Dub)-8/10

I thought this was a pretty good show. First off, the art and animation wasn't the best I've seen nor the worst, but it was serviceable and it looked nice enough. I quite liked the character designs as they were fairly unique and had a lot of variety even if this did result in some of the characters looking a little out of place. The music was also serviceable, not memorable but it always fit nicely into the show. The main pull of this show is it's story which I quite enjoyed. The main aspect of the show that I enjoyed story wise was the duality shown in the later part of the series between the humans and the Shiki. Whilst the Shiki are the ones demonised early in the show, later you start to sympathise quite a bit with the Shiki. You realize that the Shiki and the Humans are two sides of the same coin, both wanting to survive but they can only survive by killing each other. I'm not sure if this is unique to this show, I haven't seen much in terms of Vampire fiction, but it certainly made it stand out from the few other vampires I've seen in other shows and films. The pacing could have been improved a bit in my opinion. The first 6 or so episodes really get caught in a cycle of scenes and they become redundant fast. New information is revealed in these episodes, but it's so little and it makes the pace seem glacial at times. Luckily, the pace does pick up from Episode 7 onwards, so it's not a massive issue. The show also features a large cast of characters, almost too many. It can be a little overwhelming trying to remember who they all are, seeing as only a few of them are really important but the others reoccur enough to the point where you can't just forget about them. There are three main characters and, in my opinion, the best is easily Ozaki. Throughout the show you see him go through a metal decline and it's done quite well. It's very gradual and you hardly notice it but before you know it he's experimenting on his wife's reanimated corpse without even flinching. The other two main characters I'm a little mixed on. Yuuki is decent. He isn't really all that likeable at first, he can be pretty cold and distant, but he improves as the series continues. He is probably the most active protagonist in the first half and he is the one who pushes the story along the most. However, he vanishes for a good chunk of the second half of the show, only to come back in the last episode to die, which was kind of a weak way to go with one of the main characters. The third and final main character is Muroi. He is easily the weakest out of the three and it goes far enough to where I can say I wasn't sure of the justifications of his actions. For a good 3/4 of the show, he just kind of does nothing but act as a voice for the side of not murdering the Shiki. However, after that, he then completely sides with the Shiki, actively shunning the humans and risking his own life in order to protect them, even going so far as murdering another human to protect the Shiki. I can understand him not wanting to kill the Shiki, after all, they retain the personalities of people they were before they turned, but killing a human to save a Shiki seems hypocritical and it doesn't make much sense. You could say it was because he started caring for Sunako, but they only shared a handful of scenes together, not really enough to justify murder. Also he is a Monk for Christ's sake. The ending was also quite abrupt. It wasn't like Berserk abrupt, but I would have liked an epilogue or something. The best you get is the survivors getting on a bus at the end but that really isn't enough. One last thing I'll add before I conclude is the show has some pretty good action in the last 4 or so episodes, and it really delivers on what you want out of a show about Vampires vs Humans by delivering an all out war towards the end.

Overall, Shiki is a pretty good mystery show with some good action, a good story and some good characters. It's pretty good :p

animefreak17 said:
Which side you on

That's a hard question. I'd be tempted to say humans since they didn't start the fight. However the Shiki also need to survive, and they can only do so by killing humans. To quote Sunako "We didn't choose to be monsters". The fact it's such a hard question to answer, and ultimately doesn't have an answer that make the story pretty brilliant.

IncendiaryLemon said:
animefreak17 said:
Which side you on

That's a hard question. I'd be tempted to say humans since they didn't start the fight. However the Shiki also need to survive, and they can only do so by killing humans. To quote Sunako "We didn't choose to be monsters". The fact it's such a hard question to answer, and ultimately doesn't have an answer that make the story pretty brilliant.

Well that's not really true
in the series it's said that the shiki can drink blood from the same person 4 times then they ether turn or die...........

So really if the shiki drank blood from the same person 3 times and then after that they move on to the next person so that person can recover and the cycle continues.... so really they don't need to kill..... hell it was established that this can happen but the reason they did it was so they could make a home for them selfs not out of malice intent......

I hate the humans... especially the doctor and the bearded bastard.

I felt sorry for migumi and even cried when she was killed....... hell her death in the manga was kinder to her

The monk is my favourite... you say his a hypocrite for saying he killed that bearded guy right.... well in the manga the bearded guy leads the way to the temple and he kills the temple .... Also if he didn't kill him in the burning church then he would of told the other villagers that the monk and sunako was still alive and they would of went after them...... hell the bearded guy was a complete monster in the manga...... He enjoyed him self killing shiki and humans.... hell his scene in the burning church in the manga is worse BECAUSE he doesn't give a long hypocritical speech .. but instead torments sunako and enjoys every moment of it .... And his death by the hands of the monk was funny.

I side with the shiki because I understand why the did what they did........ the series shows us that humans can be more monster then the actual monsters

IncendiaryLemon said:
I tend to go with: If you can't survive without killing others then you should choose not to survive. Maybe you didn't choose to become/be born as a monster but you can choose to not live as one. Sorry carnivores.

Not giving in to nature/circumstance and struggling to overcome our limitations is one of the best things about humanity I'd say (not that we're necessarily great at it or always going about things the right way).

Maybe I should actually watch the show though.

Oh, also, one of your spoilers is broken in the review post (about Yuuki, around "however" maybe?).

animefreak17 said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
animefreak17 said:
Which side you on

Well that's not really true
in the series it's said that the shiki can drink blood from the same person 4 times then they ether turn or die...........

So really if the shiki drank blood from the same person 3 times and then after that they move on to the next person so that person can recover and the cycle continues.... so really they don't need to kill..... hell it was established that this can happen but the reason they did it was so they could make a home for them selfs not out of malice intent......

I hate the humans... especially the doctor and the bearded bastard.

I felt sorry for migumi and even cried when she was killed....... hell her death in the manga was kinder to her

The monk is my favourite... you say his a hypocrite for saying he killed that bearded guy right.... well in the manga the bearded guy leads the way to the temple and he kills the temple .... Also if he didn't kill him in the burning church then he would of told the other villagers that the monk and sunako was still alive and they would of went after them...... hell the bearded guy was a complete monster in the manga...... He enjoyed him self killing shiki and humans.... hell his scene in the burning church in the manga is worse BECAUSE he doesn't give a long hypocritical speech .. but instead torments sunako and enjoys every moment of it .... And his death by the hands of the monk was funny.

I side with the shiki because I understand why the did what they did........ the series shows us that humans can be more monster then the actual monsters
I guess that is one way of looking at it. Although you say they don't need to kill, and that is true now that you mention it, they don't ever try to find a diplomatic solution. They just move in and start killing immediately. I also felt really bad for Migumi. I really liked her and I felt really bad for her. A lot of the Shiki got it bad, but she got it the worst I think. Also, I can't exactly comment on the Manga, I've only got the show to go off of.

Also, the spoiler should be fixed now, thanks for the heads up.

Back