Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Professor Irony

Cursed Image
neptune2venus said:
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

The last time I watched this film was when it was broadcast on TV in the late 90's, so it's been a while. There is one part in particular that I feel is really unnecessary (for those of you who've watched this will probably know which bit I'm talking about).
While I remember it being on, I never saw the tv broadcast, but chances are that it was Manga Video's release, which had that scene edited out.

Professor Irony said:
neptune2venus said:

The last time I watched this film was when it was broadcast on TV in the late 90's, so it's been a while. There is one part in particular that I feel is really unnecessary (for those of you who've watched this will probably know which bit I'm talking about).
While I remember it being on, I never saw the tv broadcast, but chances are that it was Manga Video's release, which had that scene edited out.
Yes I think you're right as I do not remember seeing the scene in the broadcast version. However, my memory is probably not the best source to rely on anyway. :D

Lutga

Mad Scientist
Tsukihime - 6/10

Finally got round to watching all of this after dipping into it before. And it still hits a bum note. I'm reading the visual novel at the moment too, as everyone says this is much better - and the difference in quality is black and white. Whereas the VN gives so, so much more in terms of tone/characterisation, the anime just goes through the motions - you don't care about any of the characters and don't get any sense of why they do anything. It's like the team making it wanted to turn it into a bad arc from Bleach or something. The animation quality is horrid in places too. The only thing that redeems it is the soundtrack. I'd give anything for Ufotable to do a proper re-make of this, in the style of Garden of Sinners.

Canaan - 7.5/10

Nearly an 8 - but let down by a plot that's utterly impossible to follow. I don't think I've ever come out of an anime and been pretty much unable to say what the story was actually supposed to be. BUT... this show is completely redeemed by some incredible use of tension - if you like your girls with guns stuff, then this is spot on, and nearly as good as Black Lagoon and Jor,ungand - following the same world-trotting, arms-dealery, modern world stuff. It's incredibly animated by PA Works, has some fantastic character designs and properly messed up moral aspects. Everything is on the knife edge constantly, and by the end you're literally on the edge of your seat over whether any of them will survive or not. The English dub is well done too.

Animefreak17

Godhand
Oda nobuna

Ok this series reminds me of battle girls but it's a hearm moe show about history in the battle states..... which I'm very confused with by the way....

This is a Guilty pleasure for me cause I usually hate these sort of shows but at the same time I like it for some reason.

7.5/10

ChrisT

Hikikomori
neptune2venus said:
Professor Irony said:
neptune2venus said:

Yes I think you're right as I do not remember seeing the scene in the broadcast version. However, my memory is probably not the best source to rely on anyway. :D
When Manga Entertainment released it in the 90s editing out that scene meant it could be released as a PG rather than a 15, giving it much greater commercial scope.

Neo Magazine reviewing the release of the unedited version just out suggested that scene, whilst unpleasant, is not just gratuitous, but instead adds to the character development of the main protagonist. He is depicted as someone who despite his many short comings can still achieve greatness, and that scene certainly adds to seeing him in a negative light from which he could achieve some level of redemption.

I've not seen the film for many years so it will be interesting to see how the scene changes the film.

Animefreak17

Godhand
Tsuritama

This was an enjoyable series to watch..... a kid moves to a new town and he has a hard time fitting in and a alien comes along and changes his life...... And it's all about fishing..... yeah fishing....

The characters are very likable
The story is fun
And it has a Indian guy for one of the main characters..... you don't usually see that.
The animation looks really nice

I like this series it's just one of those you have to see once....

8.5/10

Animefreak17

Godhand
Ghost in the shell 2.0

I love ghost in the shell I truly do love it... It's a classic and its the anime the changed everything in anime... so when I was about to watch this I didn't know what to expect and when I finished it......

-_- man what a disappointment..... don't get me wrong I love this movie but just not 2.0

2.0 had cgi in one scene
And a few things was missing and replaced which annoyed me

I thought seeing the technology in cgi would be amazing but it was underwhelming.

The original doesn't need any changes just leave it as it is.....

I love ghost in the shell 11/10
2.0...... 7/10

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Sakura Trick-7/10

I'm not sure if I wasn't really into this show because it wasn't great or if because my expectations were too high or just down right incorrect. I was expecting a romance anime only with Yuri but instead what I got was a Slice of Life show with added Yuri. Not that I don't like Slice of Life, quite the opposite, I love a good Slice of Life when it's done well which, unfortunately, this isn't. Right off the bat, in the first two episodes, the show did something that was massively jarring, which is what tipped me off that maybe the show isn't so great.In the first episode the main 2 Girls Haruka and Yuu get together and kiss. There is little build up to the moment as it happens in the first 10 minutes of the first episode and we don't know the characters that well at all so it has little impact. After this their relationship just kind of coasts for the rest of the show, up until the last 2 episodes when the status quo is rocked very briefly before being corrected again by the end. This made the relationship kind of boring to watch and in a show where that's half the reason you're watching, it's not great. The second thing I didn't like in the first two episodes were how fast the other characters became friends. It's established that they have just started High School and they don't really know each other very well but by episode 2 it's like everyone has been friends for months. As I said, it's really quite jarring. The characters themselves are also quite stock and don't really develop at all throughout the show. There is a secondary relationship going on between two characters but it gets so little screen time they might as well not have bothered despite the fact I thought it was more interesting than the relationship between the main characters. I also took issue with most of the premises for the episodes in the show, as most of the time it felt incredibly formulaic, as if the writers were just coming up with excuses for the main two girls to kiss. In the second half this problem is lessened but it's still there for about half the show and it's rather distracting.

While there is a lot wrong with the show, it's not all bad. The art and character designs are nice and the animation is very smooth and fluid. My only issue with the art is they feel the need to put this random polka dot overlay on the screen sometimes and it's just incredibly distracting whilst serving no purpose. The show can also be quite funny sometimes although it can be a little hit and miss in the comedy department. However, what I enjoyed the most about the show is why anyone is really watching it in the first place. The Yuri scenes. I like Yuri and if you watched this show because of another reason other than the Yuri I'd probably say you're lying. As it's the shows main draw, it's hardly surprising that they are done well and they are easily the highlight of the show if you're into that kind of thing. The show also has other bits of fan service sprinkled through out but it can't even compare really.

Overall, I'd say it's an enjoyable if not heavily flawed show. What it really did is make me realize how much I want a really well done Yuri romance show.

st_owly (witch)

Time-Traveller
IncendiaryLemon said:
Sakura Trick-7/10

Overall, I'd say it's an enjoyable if not heavily flawed show. What it really did is make me realize how much I want a really well done Yuri romance show.
Watch Aoi Hana if you haven't already then.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
st_owly said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Sakura Trick-7/10

Watch Aoi Hana if you haven't already then.
I haven't, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Silanda

Completely Average High School Student
Samurai Bride - 8/10

That score is relative to the type of show it is, but I really enjoyed this.

The show succeeds in what it tries to be: it's a light hearted, comedy, fanservice, action show with lovely artwork and likeable characters. Yes, it's somewhat light on plot, but each episode manages to be quite focussed since the show has a relatively small, tight knit cast. Because of that, I'd rate it above shows like the later Ikki Tousen series; while they probably have more action scenes and perhaps more plot, at times they can feel as if they have a cast of 57 million and lose focus because of that.

For fans of boobs, swords, and shows that don't take themselves at all seriously, I'd recommend this (you'd probably want to watch Samurai Girls first though).

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Hanamonogatari-8.5/10

Didn't really like this one as much as any of the arcs in Second Season, Neko Shiro not withstanding. It's another case of it needing to trim the fat. This could have easily been 4 episodes as the second episode was mostly inconsequential. A large chunk of this arc is exposition about the past so it has an issue of not a lot actually happening and while it was interesting, it didn't really do much for me. Kanbaru didn't get much development here either, which kind of bummed me out a little. I wanted this to be for Kanbaru what Sengoku's arc from Secon Season was for her. It's fairly disappointing considering how great the last 4 arcs preceding this were. Second Season really set the bar for the show as a whole and this one struggled to meet match it. Saying that, even though I say it's worse than it's predecessor, that still isn't bad. I still love the dialogue and the art, animation and music are still some of the best I've seen, it's just not quite as good.

NoSurprises

Straw Hat Pirate
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episodes 1-26

I'm not a big fan of rating things, but I needed to gush about it somewhere. In short, if you enjoy space operas, you should watch the hell out of it if you can.

I'm a sucker for stuff set in space, and I've been looking for something as enjoyable as Gunbuster for a while now, I feel this comes pretty close. It's a remake of the 70s show of (almost) the same name (I've not watched the original, so can't tell you how close it is, though there are some new characters apparently) updated to look all flashy.

For me, it won on all fronts. The characters were all well defined; there was not a single point where I begrudged any of the cast getting screen time. It was very pretty to look at; most of the space battles are done in CG and stand as a good example of how to do CG right (there are a couple of dodgy instances of people/bugs in CG, but this only happens during one episode). The score was amazing too; I'm assuming they took inspiration from the original series again as most of the tracks sounded to be from around that era, and the singing, oh god the singing.

If I had to level any objective criticism it'd be that the show is full of deus ex machina moments, and that it throws T&A around a couple of times for seemingly no reason. Like any good space opera really then...

It also has one of the best OP ever. Remember to salute as you watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Animefreak17

Godhand
Dirty pair..........

I love this series...... I love it. Charlie's angels eat your heart out.

This series really is Charlies angles but with two women.

But they seem to do more damage then good.

The series has aged but I like old anime anyways

The characters... kie and yuri kick ass

It's more like a mission of the week sort of anime

The other ovas and such are good too.

8/10

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Tsukimonogatari-9/10

I really liked this one, although not quite as much as those seen in Second Season, there wasn't much in it. First off, yet again, I feel like naming this episode after Ononoki isn't very apt, this is very much Araragi's story. Kyomi Vampire probably would have been better (Although I'm pretty sure that's the name of the upcoming film) but I digress. Right off the bat, this arc really amazed me with the art and animation. I probably sound like a broken record by now with my Monogatari mini reviews but it really is among some of the nicest and visually interesting shows around. This arc really set a new bar in terms of art and animation for the show. Very colourful and well animated. The larger and larger budgets really do show through. The new title cards were also a welcome addition, they're quite dynamic and are more visually interesting, although they're harder to read quickly as they come in from different angles, although they aren't necessary really. The development Araragi saw in this wasn't huge but was still very enjoyable to watch. I really like the idea that him being dependent on his Vampire powers and his recklessness is costing him his humanity and weather or not he is willing to sacrifice his humanity to save people and it really adds to his character. This puts both Araragi and Shinobu in a very interesting position for the rest of the series. Unfortunately, I didn't think Ononoki got the development I was looking for. She still doesn't really have much of a character, although she is quite funny and likeable. The humour was here quite a bit actually in contrast to some of the more recent arcs which I appreciated. There was also ample amounts of fan service that didn't get in the way that much and was enjoyable. Overall, I really liked this arc, quite a bit more than Hanamonogatari anyway, even if it isn't up to some of the arcs in Second Season.

And with that, I have caught up with Monogatari. It took me 3 months on and off and it's been a hell of a ride. Now I just have to sit and wait patiently for the movie and the next series. I did peek at what the next book was called was for a taster of what's coming and it looks like my many many questions about Ougi might be answered

Last edited by a moderator:

qaiz

Pokémon Master
City Hunter 1 Review (TV Series, 51 Episodes, 1987)
City Hunter is a fantastic, hilarious, heartfelt show that not only hits all of the right notes; but it does so with flying colors and keeps its audience fully entertained from start to end as it twists and turns through some of the most hilarious and yet emotional scenarios in a show of this fashion to ever grace the medium. From the absolutely fantastic character designs by the man, the myth and the legend Tsukasa Hojo, to the gorgeous Soundtrack, City Hunter does everything within its power to make each and every episode memorable and each and every character lovable. You’ll laugh and you’ll most definitely shed some tears as you follow these characters throughout 51 impeccable episodes.

Animated by Studio Sunrise, released all the way back in April 1987 and directed by Kenji Kodama, director of Detective Conan Case Closed, each episode follows an episodic format with each of these episodes trailing a very similar story beat. The main character, the lovable Ryou Saeba is what’s known as a sweeper (the type without a broom), a private eye and a man who knows his way around a gun, namely his trusty Colt Python, a .357 Magnum revolver. When people have a problem; they come to this guy in order to get them sorted out. From people who want to get rid of old habits to people whom have old habits chasing them as their pasts catch up to them (from the Yakuza and all sorts of other nasty people), anything is game for the impressionable Ryou…as long as that person happens to be a beautiful lady! Exceptions are made, and he’ll certainly help out a man in need, but a pretty girl has to be in the equation somewhere down the line in order to gain his attention and his heart. Ryou may come across as pervy, often being called a sexual manic, and these scenes are certainly hilarious, but without a doubt his heart is in the right place and this is one of the key elements in making City Hunter above and beyond any other show that’s cut from the same cloth. The show not only has tact, it has heart.

Hey Mr. Private Eye
Oh help me with my private life
Where oh where can he be
Find that man for me

Oh hey Mr. Private Eye
I keep rememberin' our private nights
You gotta bring back my love to me
The lyrics above from one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack (Mr Private Eye) really drive home the relationship between Ryou and his clients. He’s a man who helps people find their lost love, a person who helps people love themselves again, mends their hearts and helps them to move on, forward to the next day, selflessly as he teaches them to love again. Ryou is a person who throws himself in the line of fire in order to help others, people who he often doesn’t even know. It’s a job to him, and it pays well, but it’s clear that the sentiment is what drives Saeba, the smiles on the faces of his clients is what pushes him forward and makes each and every day worth it to him. This along with many other personality traits are what make Ryou a character whom you root for, who you want to see succeed and one day find his own true [STRIKE]mokkori[/STRIKE] love. He’s handsome (thanks to the amazing designs by Tsukasa Hojo) and that adds to the charm and endearment you share towards him as he goofs around like the lovable oaf that he is. Make no mistake, like another one of my favorite characters in anime, Gotou from Patlabor, his goofiness is often a front to hide his more serious side, a pissed off Ryou is somebody you don’t want to be in the crosshairs of. Saeba is sharp as a pin and skilled in all walks of life, well outside of getting in bed with a girl I guess! The best marksman in the world, shooting off the belt buckle of a man a kilometer away is just another day on the job for Ryou, so you know when somebody walks from a fire fight against him alive that he let them live. This actually adds a lot to his character, as you see him first hand giving people chances to redeem themselves. In fact, just the mere utterance of his name sends shivers down the spines of criminals, people who generally have heard of the name City Hunter but have no idea what he looks like, like the urban legend that he is. Looks can be deceiving, and the silly Ryou is not what he often seems to be and that definitely adds to the charm of it all.

This adds a lot to the comedy of City Hunter, as Ryou taunts his foes before embarrassing them as they trip and stumble over themselves. Clients generally don’t take him seriously at first, with girls mistaking him for a pervert, neglecting his help, but as he gets to know them and they get to know him a beautiful bond is often formed between his clients and himself. These are the moments where City Hunter shines, and where City Hunter becomes a truly heartfelt show, a show in which you love each and every character dearly. An episode in particular for example revolved around a girl who was once saved by a man when she was a child, and ever since that day she’s kept away from men, hoping to find that man again. It happens that the man in question looks a lot like Ryou, so he’s hired in order to reinvigorate her love and open her heart up again, so she can finally love again…but was that man all those years ago actually Ryou? These are the types of scenarios you find in City Hunter, and it’s absolutely brilliant.

The art for City Hunter is truly something that I appreciate, with the character designs being iconic and attractive, which is a word I’d also use to describe the females of this show. Make no mistake, the girls of City Hunter are truly formidable allies and enemies of his, with many of them being Ryou’s equal, or damn close and sometimes even his superior, forever keeping him in his toes. But he wouldn’t have it any other way, because he’s Ryou. From follow private eyes, to scientist, princesses, police officers, a gifted croupier, a revolutionary girl, singers and actresses, the females are all talented, diverse and important people in this story, and what makes them more fun to see is how their looks can often be deceiving as they punch well above their own weight and beyond, often protecting themselves without the need for Ryou at all. Sometimes all they need is a face that believes in them, that makes them at ease before they tackle their issues head on and Ryou is often that face that calms the wavering heart. Ryou often plays the part of the stabilizers on a bike, hold them up until they learn to ride by themselves, as the wind blows in their hair and they learn to be young at heart again, free from their troubles

It’s clear that the defining element to City Hunter and its mastery is its characters, and the voice acting has a huge play in that. The Japanese voice cast for this show is sublime, and what I’d describe as utter perfection. Ryou goes from ditzy and silly to slick and serious at the drop of a hat, and this coupled with his mannerisms and character design works in order to create a dynamic and fun character that’s both lovable and desirable. His partner in crime, Kaori is also a favorite of mine and for good reason. A lady who works close with Ryou, living under the same roof, they often exhibit a sense of resentment for each other in an endearing way which brings to mind the image of a married couple, bickering and shouting at each other, but in the end are just two people who truly trust each other as they entrust their lives in the arms of one another. The partnership and bond of these two is very fun to witness grow as you see them in hilarious situations but also emotional ones. These are two people who deep down care for each other, and it’s a beautiful thing to see bloom.

The music for City Hunter is easily a highlight, embracing its 80’s life; it’s jazzy, cheesy and full of emotion with each song doing a stand-up job of signalling what type of scene is coming next. You know something heartfelt is coming your way when you hear The Shining of Cat's Eye play, and you know Saeba is going to do something badass when you hear Want Your Love. The music is energetic, dynamic and punchy, unashamed to tap into its cheesy 80’s action heritage. I will say that the verity of music is a bit lacking, with the same select pieces being used at the appropriate times time and time again, with even the opening music being used within the show in the background many times, but in the end I personally didn’t mind this at all as what’s there is top notch and straight up my alley. The opening and closing themes are also fantastic, with one of the greatest fade-ins in any anime, period. Easily a top 10 soundtrack for me when it’s all said and done and easily a top 10 show to boot. Funny how that works.

Even though I previously mentioned how each episode is episodic in nature, with the beats often being the same from episode to episode, yet each episode still feels truly fresh and interesting, which again is thanks to the great cast that appear in each and every one of those 51 episodes. A girl grieving about a lost lover wanting to be able to move on, a girl who has to play a game of pool in order to keep her families bar, a father who wants to see his little girl again after being framed for a hit and run, a princess who wants just a few days of freedom, to live a normal life even if just for a few days, each scenario is emotional, funny and engrossing and satisfying to watch. You care about the outcomes and the relationships feel truly genuine. It’s a show that’s not a downer, and is made to make its audience happy, so it’s no mystery why I had a massive smile plastered across my face during each episode, as I giggled and laughed to no end with each passing minute.

City Hunter is without a doubt a show that everybody should see, it’s on the longer side (51 Episodes) with 4 seasons in total bringing it to a total of 140+ episodes, and a few spin offs and films in the mix, so it’s a long trek, and one that even I feel that I’ve only just begun. The story goes on, and with it I too go on, eagerly awaiting the next episode, wanting to know what happens next, where the characters go and where they find themselves next has become a part of my daily routine. Whatever the case, City Hunter is one of the greatest shows I’ve had the pleasure of watching. It’s funny, genuinely so with an amazing cast of characters that you care for, with each episode reeling in a new story for you to enjoy, all wrapped up with a soundtrack that gets your blood flowing, and the smiles long, a show that’s pure, and upfront about its intentions. A show that’s aged with grace, with comedy as sharp and funny as ever, with each and every gag hitting all the right spots, you’ll find yourself entertained during the 21 hours of animation goodness. Drama, comedy, action, M&M’s and beautiful girls, it’s all here, in the city that never sleeps, with its watchful protector looking over as long as one beautiful girl still exists, ready to strike. At the end of it all, through thick and thin, with chance and luck, all I can truly say is, Mokkori!
10/10

A must watch, the pinnacle of shounen, and the prototype for shows like GTO and even Bebop. Great music, sublime art with some of the best character designs to grace anime, with humor that hits all of the right notes. A must watch, and a show I won't soon be forgetting, Mr. Private Eye. Now if you don’t mind I’m going to get some M&M’s…

GET SOME NUTS! Wait, wrong snack.

Animefreak17

Godhand
Ben-to

I don't know if this series is generic freaking good cause I have seen loads of anime with simple settings that are AMAZING... like death note with a kid with a book that kills people.....

This is about a kid who fights for half priced lunch boxses at the shops because he has a low allowance.....

To be honest... It's a fun series to watch.. I mean really fun.

The comedy is funny
The characters at times are stereotypes but likeable
The story....... very simple

It's not a masterpiece but it just feels diffrent some how from the other series I have seen.... I would say that shows like this are generic but it has a uniqueness to it.

8.5/10

Professor Irony

Cursed Image
qaiz said:
City Hunter 1 Review
Pretty much anything I could have added has already been covered (er, a girl doing aerobics in one episode randomly has the Reanimator logo on her shirt? That was kind of cool. Also a goon helicopter pilot in one of the others is clearly Jigen from Lupin III), but I would just like to express my suport for this post and its contents.

Smeelia

Thousand Master
Sounds like I should watch City Hunter but is it available legally at the moment (preferably affordably too)? Otherwise I might just have to wait until Right Stuf or whoever re-releases it (if ever).