Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Shirobako-9/10

Really loved this show. Whilst this show probably isn't the first Anime to be about making Anime, it was the first I've seen and not only does the show feature a great cast of characters and good story, it also is great at giving you a look at how Anime is made. It's never something I've ever really considered before and this show really runs you though all of the trials and tribulations of creating Anime.

The best thing about this show is definitely it's characters. Despite having a fairly large cast, most of the characters receive some kind of background or development and they all are given their moment to shine. It does take some time to wrap your head around the amount of characters, especially when most of them are introduced in the first couple of episodes but I felt like by the end you really do feel attached to all of the characters after you see them work so hard to produce work that they love for 24 episodes. Obviously there are some characters who get more time to develop than others seeing as there are so many characters but I feel some characters did get shafted a bit. Misa and Midori could have used some more screen time and out of the 5 main girls I'd say they come off the worst in terms of screen time and development.

Another great aspect to the show that is great is the story and the insight into the creation of Anime it give you. As I mentioned before, the show really goes out of it's way to show all of the different issues that could plague a show during it's production. I hope that the two shows that were being made in Shirobako were extreme examples of what happens when creating Anime because there are a ton of issues that crop up that I wouldn't have ever considered might happen. The story also has a good pace, dividing up almost equal time to character development and to the actual story.

All in all, I'd say this show is a must watch, even for those who aren't necessarily into this kind of show. It really is a great experience to see how much effort, time and passion goes into the creation of Anime, and as much as I'm sure this isn't 100% reflective of what actually goes on during the production of Anime, I do hope it's at least somewhat representative.

Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic-9/10

More of the same really. Not saying that's bad, I loved Season 1 and I loved Season 2. I guess I'll just copy and paste my review from Season 1 since it still applies

IncendiaryLemon said:
I am an absolute sucker for cute girls doing cute things shows such as K-On and the like and man, this one takes the cake. First of all, the shows art and character design are absolutely great. I really love the look of the show, it isn't anything outstanding, but for the kind of show it is, it looks great. A lot of soft pastel colours are used and it's just really nice to look at. The character designs are all really cute, especially Alice, who is pretty much moe personified. The actual characters themselves are also a joy to watch. They bounce off of each other so well and the show can be legitimately laugh out loud funny at times, which I really wasn't expecting. The music in the show is also very cutesy and fits the show well. There's no real plot to talk about but I really liked the second half of the last episode where the characters were put into a fantasy setting. It was something different and quite enjoyable, especially pirate Karen. Overall, as far as cute girls going cute things goes, you'll struggle to find cuter girls doing cuter things than Kiniro Mosaic.

Man, I feel like I'm giving out a lot of 9s recently. I'm not sure if I'm watching a lot of really good shows or I just have low standards.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Man, I feel like I'm giving out a lot of 9s recently. I'm not sure if I'm watching a lot of really good shows or I just have low standards.
If you're familiar with wrestling terminology, I would say you are quite clearly just an honest mark. :p

I'm surprised by one thing in your Shirobako review though - I thought they nailed Diesel-chan perfectly, even if she didn't have as much screen time as some characters.

animefreak17 said:
Index/railgun

Ok quick question.......why the hell hasn't this anime series made a season 3 or onwards because this series has something going for is.
I think there are two main reasons for this. One being that they caught up quite close to the Railgun manga (albeit that was a while ago) - the other being that the next chunk of Index that they would need to animate does not really feature Mikoto, who is by a long distance the most popular character.

ilmaestro said:
If you're familiar with wrestling terminology, I would say you are quite clearly just an honest mark. :p

I'm not :p

ilmaestro said:
I'm surprised by one thing in your Shirobako review though - I thought they nailed Diesel-chan perfectly, even if she didn't have as much screen time as some characters.

I just felt there wasn't much to her in comparison to the others. Most of the others got a lot more in terms of development. Not saying I didn't like her character, I just think she deserved a bit more focus.

I could definitely have gone for more Diesel-chan, I won't disagree there, but I think I had a good feel for her character over the course of the show. The cast was pretty large though, as you mentioned.

ilmaestro said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

animefreak17 said:
Index/railgun

Ok quick question.......why the hell hasn't this anime series made a season 3 or onwards because this series has something going for is.
I think there are two main reasons for this. One being that they caught up quite close to the Railgun manga (albeit that was a while ago) - the other being that the next chunk of Railgun that they would need to animate does not really feature Mikoto, who is by a long distance the most popular character.

Oh come on .... index is more interesting then railgun.......in fact the railgun series only had filler... well a majority of it anyways..... I thought it would be another point of view from mikotos views then index.. the second season does but the first is filler.

Mikoto isn't really that interesting.... in fact her series is like any ....... bunch of friends moe anime but with powers.

Come on you have to admit that index is more interesting then railgun.....

I would of thought that rail gun was supposed to be the science to index which was supposed to be about magic... which it is but it is supposed to be a different point of view from misakas views from what we saw....

I say index is more interesting

Sorry, that was a pretty crucial typo from me there. What I meant to say was:

"the other being that the next chunk of Index that they would need to animate does not really feature Mikoto, who is by a long distance the most popular character."

I personally prefer Index to Railgun by a fair bit, but I do love getting extra Kuroko in the latter.

ilmaestro said:
Sorry, that was a pretty crucial typo from me there. What I meant to say was:

"the other being that the next chunk of Index that they would need to animate does not really feature Mikoto, who is by a long distance the most popular character."

I personally prefer Index to Railgun by a fair bit, but I do love getting extra Kuroko in the latter.

Ok ok just my opinion

Harlock space pirate cgi movie.

WOW just WOW the cgi looks AMAZING and harlock is the coolest captain I have ever seen and his ship.... which looks so cheesy and silly even for a space ship looks so cool.....

The story is decent
The animation amazing
The characters pretty decent

I might just get in to the harlock series.....

9/10

Garden of sinners recalled summer...

This was a side story of the series... you know before the series ended it takes place during the series.... to be honest I think if this was watched along side the main series then I would of enjoyed it more... not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did enjoy it... I'm just saying it would of been great to see a ep or movie of what happens after the series... in which case we sorta do in this movie.

The animation.. just like the movies
The characters... some old ones came along and some new one's
The story.... pretty decent

I wouldn't say this was the stronger of the movies but it's still employable non the less.

If you haven't seen garden of sinners then I think it would be better if you watch this while watching the main movies... I'm not sure how but still.

8/10

I would say to watch it in the downtime between the 5 and 7th movie. Well the first 1 hour then but the last 30 mins should be watched after the main series.

Hunter x Hunter (2011 version) - 10/10

Finally finished the whole thing off earlier this week after a couple of marathon viewing sessions. And wow, all I can say is the show is nothing short of a masterpiece, and blows my standards for other Shonen series completely out of the water. I'd implore anyone who hasn't watched it before to give it a shot - it's only 148 episodes after all, far less than the likes of Naruto etc. I still think the Yorknew City arc is my favourite because of its relative conciseness and the Phantom Troupe as characters, but the Chimera Ant arc really is a tour de force in re-writing the depths a Shonen series can go to. It seems cliche to call a series 'dark', but this arc in particular goes places I never thought any anime would, let alone a Shonen series. The pay off in the final ten or so episodes of the arc is mindblowingly good.

Dirty Pair Flash - 7/10

I'd been meaning to sample some of Dirty Pair for a while, and I'd seen trailers of this on other ADV discs for a while now so nabbed the volumes off Amazon. It's typical of 90s action OVAs in so many ways, slotting right beside Bubblegum Crash etc. with its soft sci-fi themes and girlish hijinks - I like how both Kei and Yuri are suitably salty when it comes to their potty-mouthed language and brash antics though. The standalone episodes work in the show's favour too, so you can pretty much pick it up at any point without worrying about a wider arc. The quality of the episodes is certainly variable, but some of the best ones (the conman episode and the robot Yuri episode) are great.

King of Thorn - 7/10

Picked up the Blu-Ray of this fairly cheap second hand off Amazon. I'd heard pretty iffy things about the film in the past, but I kind of enjoyed it. It's certainly flawed, but as far as a stand alone action flick goes, it certainly does an OK job. In a way, I liked how its sensibilities were quite Western in tone - I could totally have pictured this as a Friday night beer and curry live action Hollywood blockbuster. I wasn't overly keen on the twist at the end, but visually and tonally, this definitely succeeds. The less said about the bizarre accents in the English dub the better, though.

Supersonico

Ummm I don't know if this series is a slice of life or a nonsense series.... cause it has both in one..... it has nothing epic going for it and has the same stereotypes you see in most moe series.....but it did entertain me a bit. Even tho the cgi parts was distracting

8/10

Super Sonico - 7.5 /10

This show had a really interesting run in terms of consistency for me - the first few episodes are bland, fanservicey nothingness, and the later episodes largely fall into this too - but sandwiched in-between are a run of standalone vignettes that arguably not only salvage this show from being forgettable nonsense but go one extra in terms of turning it into one of the best examples of its kind in terms of what you can adapt this kind of series into if you put your mind to it. As a weirdly insightful critique/analysis of what it means to be an idol/model in contemporary Japan, it's fascinating - posing weirdly close to the bone questions like is gravure modelling exploitative if the model is 'having fun' while doing it, or what someone like that really has as their dream in life. Sonico herself is the airhead that somehow has hidden depths to her, and the quite, contemplative episode where she takes a trip into the country to do a spot of soul-searching is excellent. The production values feel high, and Sonico's too chummy bandmates are well characterised too, helped along by a strong English dub all round.

K-On season 2 - 7.5 / 10

I know people adore K-On, but just as with the first series, while I always enjoyed it, I could never 'fully' get into it. There's only so much 'cute girls doing cute things' you can take, after all - and I'd argue shows like Hanayamata or Yuki Yuni is a Hero manage to do it with more depth and heart. For starters, the band's slacker attitude ceases being funny pretty quickly, and you actually start to find them pretty irritating. Yui, for example, despite being the glue at the centre of the show - starts to become this weird void of a persona - almost like a reverse Haruhi Suzumiya, who instead of livening up everyday life, sucks the essence out of it, transforming it into a hazy blur of pointless cake-eating and chibified emotes. You just can't get into any of the girls as personas - they're just weird, sexless puppets that have little bearing on real life (compare to say, the excellent Sound Euphonium). They exist only for the purposes of the show. All that said, I still enjoyed the show - and KyoAni's capacity as animators really makes even the tedious moments sing, but every time I sit down to watch K-On, I feel like it could be so much more.

Golden Time - 8/10

I loved ToraDora, so had high hopes for this - and while many of the emotional ingredients feel the same, it also feels like a completely different beast entirely. For starters, it's so refreshing to see an anime set at University instead of the endless high school re-runs. These are mature young adults, with mature lives, and a far better sense of themselves and all the imperfections we come with as humans. As such, you can buy into these people far more as realistic depictions - the dynamic of characters like Linda and Nana are fantastically done, as young women that don't necessarily feel defined by having to have a man in their lives. And as such, I personally found it really hard to get behind the female lead Koko, as endearing as her airhead persona was at times. But yeah, the blend of comedy and romance here was spot on throughout, and I really hope this does well over here when it gets its physical release.

And yes, I was absolutely gutted that the best girl, Linda, didn't win - but then, it's always the way, isn't it? The childhood friend always loses out in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann – 10/10

I’m going it to get this out there right of the bat; I loved every single minute of Gurren Lagann. There had been lots of hype about Gurren Lagann , which maybe tempered my expectations going into it but I thoroughly enjoyed watching this show and I really am struggling to find any fault in it. Yes, it was very over the top but that actually added to its charm because it was consistently bonkers and over the top from start to finish. I liked the characters, it had a great story which ended properly, it was well paced, it had great action and it looked absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray. I was never bored or un-engaged at any point throughout Gurren Lagann and could happily watch large chunks of episodes at once. For me it really deserves the title of ‘modern classic’.

The familiar of zero 1-3

-_-...... I am so sick of this.

A boy meets a girl and she likes him and he is a perv and she get the wrong Idea and she smacks him about because his oggling other with big breasts... It's like love hina.

And the charecters are cardboard cutouts.

It's just a romance comedy.... but with Harry potter.
We know who is going to together.
We know they like one another.

And the anime leaves so much out from the novel.... I haven't read the novel but if they followed the novel more then maybe this anime could of been more interesting....

It's nothing but the same damn routine we see in other anime.. which is a Shame because I really think they could of done this series so much better.

I know I'm bashing this series a bit and I know that is a 4th reason.

But good God I wish they would be more interesting and had more drama and character development.

And like I said it's like what we see in other anime

Moe
Abit of fan servies
Romance comedy
We know who is going to be with who
The same cardboard cut outs.
Misunderstandings
Ect

I just wished they gave us a bloody story that was interesting
..... not something we have seen before.

6/10

Il.get around to the 4th season soon

Back