Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

One Piece collection 8
7/10

The first half of the collection is the remainder of the Skypeia arc. Overall it was a good arc, it had some excellent fight scenes, but it dragged on a bit too much and Luffys final fight with Eneru was really anti-climactic and wasn't nearly as memorable as his fight with Crocodile IMO. The Alabasta arc was much better to me. Although I did very much enjoy the episodes with Montblanc Noland and Calagara as they were very heart warming episodes.

The rest of the episodes are the G-8 arc. For filler, I found it very enjoyable and preferred it more than the first half of the DVD. definately one of the better filler arcs in One Piece

Overall, i found One Piece collection 8 to be pretty decent. I look forward to collection 9 :)

Kiniro Mosaic-9/10

I am an absolute sucker for cute girls doing cute things shows such as K-On and the like and man, this one takes the cake. First of all, the shows art and character design are absolutely great. I really love the look of the show, it isn't anything outstanding, but for the kind of show it is, it looks great. A lot of soft pastel colours are used and it's just really nice to look at. The character designs are all really cute, especially Alice, who is pretty much moe personified. The actual characters themselves are also a joy to watch. They bounce off of each other so well and the show can be legitimately laugh out loud funny at times, which I really wasn't expecting. The music in the show is also very cutesy and fits the show well. There's no real plot to talk about but I really liked the second half of the last episode where the characters were put into a fantasy setting. It was something different and quite enjoyable, especially pirate Karen. Overall, as far as cute girls going cute things goes, you'll struggle to find cuter girls doing cuter things than Kiniro Mosaic.

School Days

This can be considered the anti-high-school-romance. It's built on a similar boy-meets-girl premise, and a number of the usual tropes are present as well, chief of which is how the male lead's stock price suddenly skyrockets when word gets out about him being attached. Usually said plot device would be used to affirm a couple's devotion to one another, but here it allows leading male Makoto to follow the path of least resistance, which inevitably leads to the ending of most shock. I have to respect the producers for going that way. They are drawing from a visual novel and have decided not to go with any of the safe or obvious (read: happy) endings.

But is it any good? Not in terms of animation. Talking heads and still backgrounds are the order of the day here. But this is hardly a dealbreaker. As always it's all about the writing, and here School Days impresses. Things only really get going from episode 4 onwards, at which point you'd be forgiven for thinking that this is just another romantic drama. As the story gathers momentum, characters become more unsympathetic as their selfish, wanton actions cause nothing but grief and confusion for those around them. And that's the appeal of School Days: instead of character development you are the witness to mass character regression.

In the end, I liked it, especially its surprise ending. [8.5/10]

Yugioh battle city

To be honest it's great to relive this season of the series... I remember thinking I want those gods in my deck thinking I would be unbeatable if I had them... to me at the time I thought they was epic and AWESOME and I thought the battles was great...... but now I saw the series again I can see alot of cuts in this series..... which really annoys me alot.. it messes up the series abit.

And today for me to still be playing the game..... the gods arent that impressive anymore.... maybe because there real counterparts aren't as powerful then in the anime.

I kept watching and playing the game while watching this series... And it was fun and I'm glad I got to see it ep to ep unlike the days where I would miss a ep every two nights and wouldn't know what's going on.

Again this series is for fans to know what's going on but if you want to know what this series is all about then start watching the series from the beginning...

To me 8/10

To new comers 6/10..... but that's up to you if you get in to it or not

Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

The last time I watched this film was when it was broadcast on TV in the late 90's, so it's been a while. The animation is still great and it has some interesting commentary on rich vs poor, peace vs war, space vs society. One drawback is the slow pace and so it takes a while to kick in. There is one part in particular that I feel is really unnecessary (for those of you who've watched this will probably know which bit I'm talking about).

Spoilers:The attempted rape scene. Poorly implemented and the aftermath is like afterthought - even if it is implied that Riquinni was prostituting herself, it still does not excuse Shiro's actions. Ruins the message of the film in my opinion.

Perhaps not as good as I remembered it to be but still worth a watch.

6/10

Last edited by a moderator:
neptune2venus said:

The last time I watched this film was when it was broadcast on TV in the late 90's, so it's been a while. There is one part in particular that I feel is really unnecessary (for those of you who've watched this will probably know which bit I'm talking about).

While I remember it being on, I never saw the tv broadcast, but chances are that it was Manga Video's release, which had that scene edited out.

Professor Irony said:
neptune2venus said:

The last time I watched this film was when it was broadcast on TV in the late 90's, so it's been a while. There is one part in particular that I feel is really unnecessary (for those of you who've watched this will probably know which bit I'm talking about).

While I remember it being on, I never saw the tv broadcast, but chances are that it was Manga Video's release, which had that scene edited out.

Yes I think you're right as I do not remember seeing the scene in the broadcast version. However, my memory is probably not the best source to rely on anyway. :D

Tsukihime - 6/10

Finally got round to watching all of this after dipping into it before. And it still hits a bum note. I'm reading the visual novel at the moment too, as everyone says this is much better - and the difference in quality is black and white. Whereas the VN gives so, so much more in terms of tone/characterisation, the anime just goes through the motions - you don't care about any of the characters and don't get any sense of why they do anything. It's like the team making it wanted to turn it into a bad arc from Bleach or something. The animation quality is horrid in places too. The only thing that redeems it is the soundtrack. I'd give anything for Ufotable to do a proper re-make of this, in the style of Garden of Sinners.

Canaan - 7.5/10

Nearly an 8 - but let down by a plot that's utterly impossible to follow. I don't think I've ever come out of an anime and been pretty much unable to say what the story was actually supposed to be. BUT... this show is completely redeemed by some incredible use of tension - if you like your girls with guns stuff, then this is spot on, and nearly as good as Black Lagoon and Jor,ungand - following the same world-trotting, arms-dealery, modern world stuff. It's incredibly animated by PA Works, has some fantastic character designs and properly messed up moral aspects. Everything is on the knife edge constantly, and by the end you're literally on the edge of your seat over whether any of them will survive or not. The English dub is well done too.

Oda nobuna

Ok this series reminds me of battle girls but it's a hearm moe show about history in the battle states..... which I'm very confused with by the way....

This is a Guilty pleasure for me cause I usually hate these sort of shows but at the same time I like it for some reason.

7.5/10

neptune2venus said:
Professor Irony said:
neptune2venus said:

Yes I think you're right as I do not remember seeing the scene in the broadcast version. However, my memory is probably not the best source to rely on anyway. :D

When Manga Entertainment released it in the 90s editing out that scene meant it could be released as a PG rather than a 15, giving it much greater commercial scope.

Neo Magazine reviewing the release of the unedited version just out suggested that scene, whilst unpleasant, is not just gratuitous, but instead adds to the character development of the main protagonist. He is depicted as someone who despite his many short comings can still achieve greatness, and that scene certainly adds to seeing him in a negative light from which he could achieve some level of redemption.

I've not seen the film for many years so it will be interesting to see how the scene changes the film.

Tsuritama

This was an enjoyable series to watch..... a kid moves to a new town and he has a hard time fitting in and a alien comes along and changes his life...... And it's all about fishing..... yeah fishing....

The characters are very likable
The story is fun
And it has a Indian guy for one of the main characters..... you don't usually see that.
The animation looks really nice

I like this series it's just one of those you have to see once....

8.5/10

Ghost in the shell 2.0

I love ghost in the shell I truly do love it... It's a classic and its the anime the changed everything in anime... so when I was about to watch this I didn't know what to expect and when I finished it......

-_- man what a disappointment..... don't get me wrong I love this movie but just not 2.0

2.0 had cgi in one scene
And a few things was missing and replaced which annoyed me

I thought seeing the technology in cgi would be amazing but it was underwhelming.

The original doesn't need any changes just leave it as it is.....

I love ghost in the shell 11/10
2.0...... 7/10

Sakura Trick-7/10

I'm not sure if I wasn't really into this show because it wasn't great or if because my expectations were too high or just down right incorrect. I was expecting a romance anime only with Yuri but instead what I got was a Slice of Life show with added Yuri. Not that I don't like Slice of Life, quite the opposite, I love a good Slice of Life when it's done well which, unfortunately, this isn't. Right off the bat, in the first two episodes, the show did something that was massively jarring, which is what tipped me off that maybe the show isn't so great.In the first episode the main 2 Girls Haruka and Yuu get together and kiss. There is little build up to the moment as it happens in the first 10 minutes of the first episode and we don't know the characters that well at all so it has little impact. After this their relationship just kind of coasts for the rest of the show, up until the last 2 episodes when the status quo is rocked very briefly before being corrected again by the end. This made the relationship kind of boring to watch and in a show where that's half the reason you're watching, it's not great. The second thing I didn't like in the first two episodes were how fast the other characters became friends. It's established that they have just started High School and they don't really know each other very well but by episode 2 it's like everyone has been friends for months. As I said, it's really quite jarring. The characters themselves are also quite stock and don't really develop at all throughout the show. There is a secondary relationship going on between two characters but it gets so little screen time they might as well not have bothered despite the fact I thought it was more interesting than the relationship between the main characters. I also took issue with most of the premises for the episodes in the show, as most of the time it felt incredibly formulaic, as if the writers were just coming up with excuses for the main two girls to kiss. In the second half this problem is lessened but it's still there for about half the show and it's rather distracting.

While there is a lot wrong with the show, it's not all bad. The art and character designs are nice and the animation is very smooth and fluid. My only issue with the art is they feel the need to put this random polka dot overlay on the screen sometimes and it's just incredibly distracting whilst serving no purpose. The show can also be quite funny sometimes although it can be a little hit and miss in the comedy department. However, what I enjoyed the most about the show is why anyone is really watching it in the first place. The Yuri scenes. I like Yuri and if you watched this show because of another reason other than the Yuri I'd probably say you're lying. As it's the shows main draw, it's hardly surprising that they are done well and they are easily the highlight of the show if you're into that kind of thing. The show also has other bits of fan service sprinkled through out but it can't even compare really.

Overall, I'd say it's an enjoyable if not heavily flawed show. What it really did is make me realize how much I want a really well done Yuri romance show.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Sakura Trick-7/10

Overall, I'd say it's an enjoyable if not heavily flawed show. What it really did is make me realize how much I want a really well done Yuri romance show.

Watch Aoi Hana if you haven't already then.

Samurai Bride - 8/10

That score is relative to the type of show it is, but I really enjoyed this.

The show succeeds in what it tries to be: it's a light hearted, comedy, fanservice, action show with lovely artwork and likeable characters. Yes, it's somewhat light on plot, but each episode manages to be quite focussed since the show has a relatively small, tight knit cast. Because of that, I'd rate it above shows like the later Ikki Tousen series; while they probably have more action scenes and perhaps more plot, at times they can feel as if they have a cast of 57 million and lose focus because of that.

For fans of boobs, swords, and shows that don't take themselves at all seriously, I'd recommend this (you'd probably want to watch Samurai Girls first though).

Hanamonogatari-8.5/10

Didn't really like this one as much as any of the arcs in Second Season, Neko Shiro not withstanding. It's another case of it needing to trim the fat. This could have easily been 4 episodes as the second episode was mostly inconsequential. A large chunk of this arc is exposition about the past so it has an issue of not a lot actually happening and while it was interesting, it didn't really do much for me. Kanbaru didn't get much development here either, which kind of bummed me out a little. I wanted this to be for Kanbaru what Sengoku's arc from Secon Season was for her. It's fairly disappointing considering how great the last 4 arcs preceding this were. Second Season really set the bar for the show as a whole and this one struggled to meet match it. Saying that, even though I say it's worse than it's predecessor, that still isn't bad. I still love the dialogue and the art, animation and music are still some of the best I've seen, it's just not quite as good.

Back