Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Freezing - 7/10

I think just in terms of sheer, dumb but fun levels, this is probably the best 'battle girls' show I've watched. It certainly lacks some of the charm and humour that makes the likes of Sekirei and Ikki Tousen good, but if all you want is a veritable feast of boobs n' blood, it's Freezing all the way. It actually shocked me just how open this show was in terms of cramming as many nipples, panty shots etc. into every episode - because, of course, when a girl gets the crap beaten out of her, the first thing that'll rip is her shirt, in precisely the right place to expose both her breasts - and only her breasts.

Also, what kind of name is 'Satellizer el Briget' ??? Where do they come up with this stuff?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Since Monogatari Second Season is made of several clearly defined arcs, I feel like I should rate each one on their own

Nekomonogatari: Shiro-8.5/10

Man am I conflicted on this one. I'll say this is probably my least favourite Monogatari arc. Not to say I didn't like it, it's still really good, but in comparison to the others, it felt a little lacking. First of all, I'll get some personal bias out of the way. I don't really find Hanekawa that interesting. Sure she isn't completely boring and she is well developed but out of the 5 or 6 main girls in Monogatari I think she is the second least interesting, next to Sengoku. So, as you can probably guess, an arc where she is the central character wasn't boding well for me anyway. On top of that, this is the third Hanekawa focused arc and the second consecutively so I'm kind of burnt out on that character, which I don't find interesting to being with. I also felt this arc was really hurt by the lack of Araragi. He was a really relatable protagonist and, in my opinion, really grounded the show as well as bringing a lot of the humour to the show, which this arc also lacked, which was another thing I was disappointed by. I also thought the first two episodes of the 5 episode arc were too slow, even by Monogatari standards. I think this arc really would have benefited being 4 episodes rather than 5. All that aside, the art and animation is as good as it's ever been, if not better, the writing is still as good as previous arcs and the other three episodes gave some good development to Hanekawa, the last episode in particular being incredible and made me like Hanekawa a whole lot more. As I said, this was still really good and really enjoyable but just not as much as previous arcs.
One interesting thing was karen and tsukihi's lines about araragai not taking notice of their boy friends.

Mars day brake

I can see why people think it's a bad anime...the plot holes......for one.

But on the other hand it's just a good crap series...It's bad but enjoyable at the same time

6/10

Kabukimonogatari-9/10

After a slightly shaky start with Neko Shiro, Kabuki brings Monogatari Second Season back up to the standards of the previous arcs IMO. This arc might have become one of my favourites of the entire franchise, mainly because of it's story. It's very different from any other arc in the fact that it's more story focused than character focused and I like that, it's a good change of pace and the story is excellent, although I love a good time travel story so maybe I'm a little bias. This story restores the humour that Neko Shiro lacked so much and I'm very glad about it. It didn't go overboard with it and it still had it's serious moments but the humour sprinkled in was definitely appreciated. It kind of goes without saying at this point but the art and animation in this was superb and I especially liked the use of colour in this arc. The only thing I thought it lacked was the Hachikuji. Considering her name is in the title of the episodes and the story revolves around her in this arc, she really didn't get much screen time. This goes double for Adult Hachikuji who despite being on the box only gets one short scene. But that aside, I really loved this arc.

Galerians rion

Have you ever saw a anime so bad that it was good ....well this is it.

This movie felt like it was ment to be a ps1 game which it really should of been because the graphics are of that of a old game......but it's like it was cancelled and they didn't know what to do with the scene footage so they made this movie.

I like this even tho it's bad.

7.5/10

Neo Tokyo

This OVA felt like someone woke up from a nightmare and decided to make it in to a anime..

.the first one first like it was the nightmare of a child

The second one felt like the nightmare of a car racer

And the 3rd felt like it was the nightmare of business man trying to stop a construction that couldn't be stopped

It was trippy but not much of a story...but trippy.

7/10

IncendiaryLemon said:
Kabukimonogatari-9/10

After a slightly shaky start with Neko Shiro, Kabuki brings Monogatari Second Season back up to the standards of the previous arcs IMO. This arc might have become one of my favourites of the entire franchise, mainly because of it's story. It's very different from any other arc in the fact that it's more story focused than character focused and I like that, it's a good change of pace and the story is excellent, although I love a good time travel story so maybe I'm a little bias. This story restores the humour that Neko Shiro lacked so much and I'm very glad about it. It didn't go overboard with it and it still had it's serious moments but the humour sprinkled in was definitely appreciated. It kind of goes without saying at this point but the art and animation in this was superb and I especially liked the use of colour in this arc. The only thing I thought it lacked was the Hachikuji. Considering her name is in the title of the episodes and the story revolves around her in this arc, she really didn't get much screen time. This goes double for Adult Hachikuji who despite being on the box only gets one short scene. But that aside, I really loved this arc.
Wasn't she shown in the present at the start of the episode?

Otorimonogatari-9/10

I really enjoyed this arc. Whilst I wasn't keen on the entire focus being on Hanekawa during her arc, I didn't mind the focus on Sengoku here. We didn't learn much about her character in her Bake arc, so this was very welcome. This arc gave the character a ton of development that she lacked before and I really enjoyed this arc almost solely for that fact. As with the other arcs, the art and animation looks amazing and the writing is still great and there was some good humour sprinkled in, although not as much as previous arcs. The only thing I didn't like was the kind of abrupt ending but after enquiring in the Monogatari community, I learned that it is wrapped up in the final arc, so I can't really hold it against it however having the conclusion to your arc happen 4+ episodes later is kind of odd. Yet another great arc, definitely up there with the previous arc. Monogatari Second Season is turning out to be amazing.

black1blade said:

Very briefly. I'm pretty sure it was just a flashforward to the scene I mentioned.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Otorimonogatari-9/10

I really enjoyed this arc. Whilst I wasn't keen on the entire focus being on Hanekawa during her arc, I didn't mind the focus on Sengoku here. We didn't learn much about her character in her Bake arc, so this was very welcome. This arc gave the character a ton of development that she lacked before and I really enjoyed this arc almost solely for that fact. As with the other arcs, the art and animation looks amazing and the writing is still great and there was some good humour sprinkled in, although not as much as previous arcs. The only thing I didn't like was the kind of abrupt ending but after enquiring the Monogatari community, I learned that it is wrapped up in the final arc, so I can't really hold it against it however having the conclusion to your arc happen 4+ episodes later is kind of odd. Yet another great arc, definitely up there with the previous arc. Monogatari Second Season is turning out to be amazing.

black1blade said:

Very briefly. I'm pretty sure it was just a flashforward to the scene I mentioned.
I swear he was in his school uniform though...

I did really like nadeko's arc. The stuff about it not being possible for her to have a story was interesting because it was true because she was a really boring character before.

black1blade said:
I did really like nadeko's arc. The stuff about it not being possible for her to have a story was interesting because it was true because she was a really boring character before.

Yeah, this arc really gave her the depth she needed.

Your under arrest mini series

Ah the good old 90s anime....just awesome.

I haven't seen the series to this but I have seen the movie and other OVA and to be honest it's really fun to watch.....usually I like a anime for its story but once in a while I like something like this for a laugh.

It's just shorts about 8 mins long showing the hilarious adventures about the police women of this series and it is fun to watch.

8/10

IncendiaryLemon said:
black1blade said:

Yeah, this arc really gave her the depth she needed.

It definitely gave her extra depth (and extra cuteness?!)

But yeah, I'd love to have seen more of adult Hachikuji - the first couple of arcs of the second season really thrive in being able to act as stand alone stories, easily some of the best visuals of the series as a whole too.

Infinite Stratos - 6.5-7/10

Another one of the generic harem shows but doesn't have a plot that makes it nothing more than just a fun show to watch but with a bit of mecha action and nothing more than that. Hopefully the tiny bit of plot this season had of unmanned IS flight suits will develop more in Season 2.

If you enjoy most harem shows you'll enjoy this but don't go into it expecting a good plot or a mecha heavy show. I usually watch these generic harem shows as a break from some of the quite dark shows, in this case i had just finished Paranoia Agent and just wanted to watch a fun show after it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jirachi - Wishmaker - 5.5 / 10

Haven't watched any of the Pokemon films in a while, but this one was pretty poor compared to some of the better examples I've seen (the Kyurem and Genesect ones are pretty decent)

It starts off really slow, and while it improves in the second half, the pacing is just so shot to pieces it's too difficult to care by that point. There's some darker overtones in places, and the animation quality if pretty good considering it's fairly old now, but yeah - even for a bit of mindless fun, it kind of bored me.

Gundam Reconguista in G 5/10

Interesting to see Tomino's recent comments on this reflecting most people's opinion in that it was generally a mess. There were too many characters and too many plot threads that were never fully explained or closed out and the ending was weak. Having said that it had that familiar 80's Tomino feel to it which I really enjoyed and there elements of the story that I really liked but was just frustrated that they weren't fully developed.

Onimonogatari-9/10

Monogatari season 2 continues it's trend of putting out series best arcs. First of all, I want to say that I think that the staff really messed up when it came to the naming of the arcs. This was more of a Hachikuji arc than the actual Hachikuji arc this season, yet this was supposed to be a Shinobu arc despite her not being the focus at all yet played a key part in the Hachikuji arc. Kind of weird. Anyway, what I really enjoyed about this arc was the slower pace compared to the last 2 arcs. Both of those arcs have been quite hectic and fast paced and this provides a nice breather between the previous arc and what I am sure will be a very fast paced 6 part finale. It took it slow without ever becoming boring. The dialogue is as on point as always and the show still looks gorgeous. However, the best part, by far, was the ending. Well the last episode as a whole really. It's hard to describe without spoiling so I'll have to go into spoilers for a while. Personally, I thought that the Hachikuji send off was pretty much perfectly done. It's been something I felt has been looming ever since her first arc back in Bake, as if I recall she says she will only be around for "a little while longer" and I've been expecting it since, although I was certain it was going to happen back in her arc in the season, not Shinobu's. In her last scene, you can genuinely feel how much that Araragi cares for Hachikuji and I thought it was really well done. Not sure if I can completely get behind the kiss, but still I thought it was a franchise highlight. It's also very different to see Araragi actually loose something. As brought up in the episode, he hasn't lost before, he always finds a way, but here, for the first time, we see him completely helpless, and you really sympathise with him. The end really got to me. I've never cried at a piece of media before, and I doubt I will but I've come close on some occasions. While this wasn't as on the brink as the finale to K-On, I'd be lying if I didn't say I had a small lump in my throat. My only real complaint about this arc was the absolute exposition dump that was episode 2. Whilst it was interesting learning about Shinobu's past, I don't think it needed to take up the whole 20 minutes. Other than that, this arc was great.

Final Season 2 arc next, I'm almost fully caught up. Only 3 more arcs to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Macross: Do You Remember Love? Review (1984 Movie)

Macross: Do You Remember Love?
RyGT6Fdl.jpg
Do You Remember Love is a movie adaptation of the phenomenal 1982 Super Dimension Fortress Macross series, with the movie being released back in summer of 1984 to a huge marketing campaign. The film is without a doubt a defining pillar of anime, one that set the stage for things to come with its foundations still being used today. From the phenomenal soundtrack to the awe-inspiring visuals, Do You Remember Love is without a doubt an all-time classic and a must watch for anyone who has a love for animation and all things anime.
To know more about the film, you have to go all the way back to October 3rd 1982 with the release of the original series itself. The original Macross series is without a doubt one of my all-time favorites. It’s a show filled with an amazing, engrossing cast, a captivating soundtrack and a beautiful story. The series was notable for its combination of action, Sci-Fi and romance, all held together with its core theme of music, a combination it pioneered and a combination that is still used today in the world of anime. Epic fights in space with a Japanese pop song playing in the background, all choreographed with finesse…what’s not to love? The music in Macross is truly a defining element of the series, and was embraced by fans all around the world, with its popularity transitioning Mari Iijima, the voice actress for one of the main characters into a mega hit sensation overnight.
Originally inspired by the hit series Mobile Suit Gundam, which had released a few years prior and was already setting the world on fire, it’s fair to say that Macross had a troubled start. Originally conceived as a 48 episode series, the original sponsor’s ideas of a comedy focused series clashed with Studio Nue’s ambition to create an epic space opera. With the original sponsor soon out of business, Macross was left without a sponsor, until an advertising agency named Big West approached the studio with the intention to branch out and agreed to sponsor Macross. With reservations in regards to how popular Macross may end up being, the episode run was cut down to 27 and the budget reduced. With the debut out of the way however, it was clear that Macross was a huge success and Big West was finally convinced to give the thumbs up to extend the series to 36 episodes, which would allow the studio to end where they had originally intended. This of course is without going into the whole ordeal that is Harmony Gold and their stranglehold on the series outside of Japan, but that’s another story. I want to keep this positive.
So with that out of the way, let’s get to the main event, Do You Remember Love? We’ll call it DYRL from here on out since it shorter. DYRL is as mentioned above a film adaptation of the classic series, and without a doubt the best way in which I’ve seen this concept handled. Unlike say the Gurren Lagann movies which splices a little bit of new footage with the show, in an attempt to recreate and stick to the fidelity of the original series, staying true to the original script, or the Gunbuster/Diebuster movies that just cut content from the original OVA’s, thus removing key plot points and characterization in order to fit into a smaller run time, DYRL is lovingly reanimated from the ground up and takes liberties with the story while still treading familiar ground. This accumulates to what I can only describe as the best looking animated anime film I have ever seen. In case anyone is wondering, I watched this on the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Box, and boy does this film look and sound stunning.
Taking a near 16 hour series and condensing it into an hour and 55 minute film is no easy task and less so when a template for doing so hasn’t been invented yet, so the task is doubly daunting. Taking this all into consideration, I am more than pleased with the way in which they tackled the task; in fact I am enthralled by the resulting film. People often ask “Which one did it better?” and “What should I start with first?” Well in my opinion, the answer is pretty obvious. If you want to get into Macross, (which if you haven’t already you really should!) the original 36 episode series is the definitive way to go about it. It is the quintessential Macross series, and DYRL is heightened by its viewing as it is the animated embodiment of the term nostalgia. Looking back at the world and characters that you know and love in a new light is enthralling and fun, and quite honestly you’d be hard pressed to see me without an ear to ear grin on my face while watching this and it would be just as hard to see my eyes dry while doing so. Never have I been so pleased with an animated film, and never has an animated film looked and sounded this good. Everything is familiar if you’ve seen Macross, and yet everything has more life to it and more energy. Details everywhere, Macross has never looked this good, and it never will. From a visual standpoint, you’ll be hard pressed to beat the fidelity here. Everything and everyone has been recreated with love and care.
Does DYRL hold up on its own two feet? Yes, but it’s very clear that DYRL is a love letter in and of itself, to the fans, to the world of Macross. For a film that released over 30 years ago, it holds up effortlessly, stomping on the face of newer films. The world of Macross has been given a new lick of paint, and it’s hard to ask for anything more than that. To have something you care for reconstructed with such delicacy is something any fan of a series should hope for if this is the result.
The audio is an important pillar that makes up the entirety of Macross, and I’m extremely pleased to say that it’s all in tact here. Presented in a DTS-HD HR 5.1 track, each of Minmay’s songs sound delightful. Most of the background audio are new renditions of tracks from the show itself, however many new tracks from the late composer Kentaro Haneda make their way onto DYRL and each and every one of these background tracks hit the right spot, and it feels oh so good to hear one of these tracks as Hikaru pilots his VF-1A Valkyrie through a barrage of missiles, dodging and weaving. Nothing beats this sensation, and if anyone knows Macross, you’d know that Macross loves to dish out those missiles. The soundtrack ranges from soft and sombre to sweeping and powerful with your healthy dose of Lynn Minmay classics thrown in for good measure. From 0-G Love to Sunset Beach. All of it comes together to make a film that will have you shuffling from side to side one moment, shedding tears the next, and laughing all the way as the visual onslaught blows your mind away.
The story does little to introduce you to the world of the Super Dimension Fortress itself and its crew and instead throws you straight into the skirmish. I loved that about this film if I’m honest, it goes in with the intention that the people watching are acquainted with the series, and that’s great. Get in there and give me a spectacle! That’s not to say that no exposition is at play here, because there’s certain scenes that exist just to explain what’s going on, but thankfully these scenes are either touched up and play out a bit differently to the equivalent scenes in the TV series, or are totally new scenes altogether so you’ve always got something to keep you on your toes plot wise.
The characters are a strong point of Macross, with an amazing female cast. It is dated, and simplistic at times, but earnestly so. Its heart is in the right place, and that’s what I love about Macross and DYRL. It’s punchy, overly confident and yet sincere. It’s a story about an alien race going in an all-out war with Humans and the inhabitants of the Super Dimension Fortress itself, with the power of love, music and culture being the ultimate deciding weapon in this war. It’s overly optimistic on paper, but the series delves into themes that include the effects of war on soldiers, dealing with lost and found love, all wrapped up in a complicated love triangle that inevitably leaves someone with the cold shoulder. The comedy hits the right notes, and knows when to stay away, and the serious moments have you fully invested as you care for its strong cast. The cast in the film is very week development wise compared to the stellar series, as everyone’s development on screen is compromised in order to strengthen the protagonists own development in the short period of time. Again, it worked for me since I was already acquainted with the amazing cast, but without seeing the series’ first you’d be hard pressed to know that certain characters are a couple at all!
I think it was the correct choice overall as you spend a vast majority of the time with a small subset of characters in DYRL anyways, which is a shame since I love everyone in Macross, with the TV series even managing to get me to care for characters that I hated which goes to show just how great the characters are in Macross and just how great the voice actors play their roles with mastery. I’ve never really fallen in love with a character in an anime before, as I detest most females in anime, but man I was head over heels for Hayase, and I still am, and unlike the TV series, I actually cared a lot for Minmay herself, unnaturally so. Her eyes and her dancing man…infectious.
In terms of the actual Blu-ray itself and its transfer, let me say that screenshots don’t do it justice at all. The movie looks absolutely stunning in motion thanks to the juxtaposition of the dark, deep space and the bright explosions and neon lights that give each scene a sense of vibrancy and life. Colors pop and standout amidst the starry night sky. It’s true; the Blu-ray is faced with a myriad of issues. Its super grainy, and both dirt, tears and scratches are visible, with many scenes looking really blurry at times, and the ending credits (a scene from Macross Flashback 2012) looking like it was pulled from a VHS, and yet I still fell head over heels for this because at times the visuals do truly shine as you see each and every star in the sky sparkling and shimmering to the sound of Minmay. I think the DVD is a fine way to watch this, but man in motion I really loved how it looked on Blu-ray, and the sound quality was to die for, with the sounds of missiles ricocheting from to channel to channel. The previous voice actors reprise their roles here, but with the added bonus that both the Zentradi and Meltrandi, whom are the aliens in the film and series, have their own language in this film, which sounded pretty awesome! Yak Deculture!
So, in the end it’s plain as day that I’m head over heels for DYRL. Macross is without a doubt one of my favourite TV series of all time, and DYRL is a love letter to that series. Many things are skipped and changed but that’s fine because the changes they made were the right ones for the format. Instead of cramming everything into barley 2 hour film down from a 16 hour series, the story has been reconstructed in a way that makes sense for the time that they have. The reoccurring music is a delight to hear with the new visuals, and the new music being some of my favourites in the series. Like the TV series itself, DYRL is a happy, sad, emotional roller-coaster, one that I’m happy to ride on again and again and again. DYRL to put it simply is a 2 hour Macross Music video, beautifully choreographed and lovingly put together, a ride though memory lane. In the end, I remembered the love that I had for Macross, and got to experience it all over again.
10/10

Back