Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Also, I think the English release of Summer Wars should have included a hanafuda rule book, because I was left quite confused during the climax. I just sat through it by thinking of Koi carps.

Rosario and Vampire season 1 (Rewatch) - 7/10

Well rewatched this a little earlier with one of my brothers. It's an enjoyable if lightweight watch, that unfortunately falls distinctly in the shadow of its much more heavyweight manga forebear.

Unfortunately, Rosario and Vampire suffered the same fate as many of Gonzo's later animes in that they toned the fanservice factor (although admittedly, especially in the earlier volumes there is a level of this in the manga), and skipped/jiggled around with the plot a lot.

The first season is tolerable in this regards, by and large, with a few edits and chronology changes, it does resemble the source material, unfortunately some of the best bits from the manga just don't transpire in the anime, and also the change in the ending distinctly weakened the follow on S2 which is largely fanservice/almost entirely non-canon.

Rosario and Vampire I feel can largely be recommended for its high class of incumbant seiyuu, Rie Kugiyama, Mizuki Nana and a few others, and because it makes a good stepping point to transist over to the far superior manga.
It is not an offensive series, unless you take dislike to the high fanservice levels, and treat it as what it is, which is a light supernatural harem show. The dissapointment being that it just doesn't really do the source material justice, but like many Gonzo anime's towards its final days suffered the same fate, so Rosario is not alone here.

Amongst the fanbase there is a hope that one day it'll get picked up for a Brotherhood style remake, the manga itself is still a strong seller and licensed in the west; and if you enjoy the series, I heartily recommend you check it out.
By and large, it is also more or less ignoring the S2 of the anime, or at least treating it as an alternate universe, and reviewing the first 3 volumes of the manga that comprise series 1 to take note of the changes in the material, and then enjoy the current ~17 additional volumes worth of material currently released for the series, as the first series of the anime really doesnt dig too deep into the material, covering a maximum of about 10 chapters of the current 90+

gantz live movies 1 and 2

first off i haven't read the manga i only watched the anime and the movies, i know they tried to stay true to the anime with the first movie but im not sure about the second one if it did stay true to the manga * I haven't read iy* but i know that the ending of gantz live movie 2 isn't suppose to end like it did. but the first movie was 80% close to the anime with a few changes-

1 the dog isn't in it
2 less service
3 the weapon that transports the aliens isn't in it
4 the tanaka alien or the rock lee alien likes boom boxes and there isn't a big bird boss
5 the dont leave though the door that the gantz is in
6 the 5 bikers isn't in it
7 kota has a new back story/ same with girl kei
8 the fight with the two oni is reduced to one oni and the thousand armed budda comes first before the big budda and the thousand armed has only swords
9 the swords are introduced to the movies and it kicks ass

the first movies is 80% close to the anime.

but the second one is more bad ass its like mib meets the matrix .................... in japan

i think fans of the show will like thesebut the ending to the second one.

i really need to read the manga

8/10

vashdaman said:
Completely agree with what you've written on Summer Wars.
As do I. But I would add the saccharine and under-developed romantic sub-plot as another mark against the film.

Princess Jellyfish - 7/10

Being a nerd and not so good with people, I can understand where lead character Tsukimi and all of the other female otaku in this show are coming from. Not being a woman, I don't feel quite I quite understand the extent of their insecurities, but I do try. This show is funny and warm romantic comedy, maturely written and tinged with a little bit of melancholy. My only issue is that its 11 episodes don't accomplish quite enough, leaving things a little more open-ended than I'd like, something that may be remedied should a second series be made.

tekken blood vengeance

i dont know what to make of this movie cause i dont know any of the characters from the games or what there backgrounds are, the first-time i heard tekken blood vengeance i thought * oh wait i remember that from tekken 3 from years ago when i had my ps1 * i didn't remember what the characters was all about but i knew it was about fighting and im stuck for words cause i didn't know what was going on and it had cheesy moments, but it did have good fights in it and the CGI was great but im not a fan and didn't know what was going on.

6.5/10

I guess if your a fan of the series you'd know what there talking about

Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below-This is one of the finest animated movies i have ever seen and Shinkai Makoto has truly outdone himself with this masterpiece,yeah his love for Ghbili is more obvious than ever before to the point you feel although you are watching a Studio Ghibli film which is no bad thing in my book,the look,feel,pace and enchanting story to the music are all perfect,even though the theme of the movie is about loneliness,separation,life and death it is dealt in such a charming and enchanting way that by the end of the movie you,ll feel all warm and fuzzy inside,visually the movie is one of the most beautiful animated movies ever,some scenes and truly jaw dropping to say the least and the music is just magical.A true modern day masterpiece from one of japans finest directors.9/10.

Doraemon666 said:
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below-This is one of the finest animated movies i have ever seen and Shinkai Makoto has truly outdone himself with this masterpiece,yeah his love for Ghbili is more obvious than ever before to the point you feel although you are watching a Studio Ghibli film which is no bad thing in my book,the look,feel,pace and enchanting story to the music are all perfect,even though the theme of the movie is about loneliness,separation,life and death it is dealt in such a charming and enchanting way that by the end of the movie you,ll feel all warm and fuzzy inside,visually the movie is one of the most beautiful animated movies ever,some scenes and truly jaw dropping to say the least and the music is just magical.A true modern day masterpiece from one of japans finest directors.9/10.
It's probably not love for Ghibli per se it's love for World Masterpiece Theatre, which happens to be where lots of Ghibli's key staff (e.g. Miyazaki) came from.
Shinkai would have watched them as a kid, whereas Miyazaki was working on them.

WMP has almost as much influence as Tezuka over the industry, this isn't unusual.

Reaper gI said:
Doraemon666 said:
It's probably not love for Ghibli per se it's love for World Masterpiece Theatre, which happens to be where lots of Ghibli's key staff (e.g. Miyazaki) came from.
Shinkai would have watched them as a kid, whereas Miyazaki was working on them.

WMP has almost as much influence as Tezuka over the industry, this sin't unusual.
Yeah there is no doubt about the impact and influence that the World Masterpiece Theatre had and still does on the anime industry it was a hodbed of talent that went on to become future masters of there craft and i personally rank some of the World Masterpiece Theatre series as all time classics and some of the finest anime series ever made,and it is good to see younger directors like Shinkai proudly wear there influences on there sleeves.

Mushi-shi

I like this series its doesn't have a bad vs good formula but instead has a combo of kinos journey and ghost hunt, more journey then fight. Anyway I find this series soothing and beautiful, the arts beautiful and the story is like kinos journey so I think fans of kinos journey will like this alot. I say give this series a look it's worth it if your in to culture and a fan of kinos journey.

This series was the first series I watched for a 2 and a half months ( iv been watching dragonball series) and it was a nice start to watch my backlogs again

9/10

Redline
That was, something. Get that on BBC 2 one night and you'd have a second renascence right there and then.

Pleasantly surprised on how the Story worked in it's presentation,

Tweeny witches

Ok there are 3-5 things wrong with this series

1 the editing is horrible it sometime cures to something else while someone else is talk ( I know some series do that but this series dose it really bad)

2 there are scenes that don't make sense or you can't make them out whats going on

3 everything's rushed it rushes from one scene to another at times

4 the art style * the animation it self is ok but I feel that it changes from time to time it's like some people was taking turns drawing this series.

5 the main character is SOOO cheesy e.g. Magic is suppose to help people, I love magic ect

On to the good stuff
The story it's selfs ok,* I liked it*
At times it was annoying but I stuck with it,
It felt like a wizard of oz series in a way

Yes this series has a few problems but if they bothered to look at it be before showing it and did a few check up I'm sure I would of enjoyed it more

7/10

Origin: Spirits of the Past

This movie disappointed me, the storytelling is too simplistic, weak and cold. The best example is the dialogue when Agito goes inside the forest: "Do you want to be enhanced?" - "Yes" - "Ok, here you go", this would compete as one of the biggest lacks of pathos ever. Besides how the storytelling was managed, neither the original story was that great, quite simple (again) and predictable. The lack of emotion is due also to a weak voice acting, when Agito screams for Too-la he sounds more like he is doing some solfège exercises than actually desperately calling for a person. There are various incongruences as well, the biggest one is this: Shunack was the head of the Moon experiment, so it's supposed he was there while the experiment was running... how did he manage to survive to that "little" explosion?
The visuals are really stunning, I'm not an expert on animation techniques and so on, but I really loved the visuals in this movie, this is probably the best Gonzo anime I've seen as far as visuals go. The result is that this movie seems more like an excuse to show some crazy, almost roaller-coaster scenes, I got more a sense like "story in function of visuals" than the opposite.
There are some nice touches by the director, for example how gradually the passage from the city to Agino's house is showed. But they are just touches.
So overall: 5 for the story, 9 for the visuals.

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
teonzo said:
Origin: Spirits of the Past

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

Agreed. Origin was one of the most disappointing Anime I have bought. Had so much promise but ended up to be a third rate Nausicaa/Mononoke attempt which incidentally happened to look great.

welcome to the N.H.K

OMG i loved this series i really really do love it.

i heard fans saying hey its so good and stuff, and when i watched it from start to finish i was amazed, i like the messages it gave to the viewers.

this is one of them

1 if your a shut in and when you need food, clothing shelter and no one around is going to give it to you YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND DO SOMETHING. being a shut in isn't a condition its a comfortable luxury life style that you happy but sad at the same time

this series really spoke out to me it really really did speak out to me.

theres a suicide element in this series and it gives about message about that to.

the comedys funny and the drama really pulls you in, it just makes you want more

the main character satos at times can be a idiot you just want to hit him and knock some sense in to him hes the one with the social disorder.

if your a unsociable shut in then this series is for you and i 120% recommend this series even if your not unsociable i really recommend this series to everyone * thats over 15 lol*

sometimes the english dubs can be too farfetched there are some lines in the series i would expect to hear in anime, watch the series with the sub and you'll knock what im talking about.

the sound mixing at times i just cant hear what there saying, the music at time will be to loud to hear what there saying or the voices will be to quiet to hear but again bad english mixing

but besides the mixing and some dub issues on the hole this series has made it in my favourite list it was awesome

10/10

Baki the Grappler Season 2
8/10
Awesome series. I've never seen such an action packed series like this. If you want to see a PROPER action/fighting packed series, watch this! Watch the first series first though obviously lol. The only bad things with the series is that there was no story what so ever. Also it would of been good if to expand on the relationship between Baki and his girlfriend. Overall a good series.

Baki the Grappler (as a whole)
10/10
I haven't seen such an action packed and engaging series like this in a while. I loved all the characters, i loved the music, i loved the animation, i loved the fight scenes I LOVED EVERYTHING!!!! Seeing Baki develop from a ginger haired trouble maker into a strong wise fighter was one hell of a trip. It also has a good representation on friendship and how it can be your greatest strength. I wont see an anime like this in a long time

One last final time BAKI THE GRAPPLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back