Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Warmaster said:
teonzo said:
Origin: Spirits of the Past

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

Agreed. Origin was one of the most disappointing Anime I have bought. Had so much promise but ended up to be a third rate Nausicaa/Mononoke attempt which incidentally happened to look great.

Amen, pretty but hollow, shame as it could have been much better!

Ergo Proxy - */10
I find it really hard to rate Ergo Proxy; one on hand it was a very different and interesting look at a post apocalyptic world, with a touch of dystopian society thrown in for fun, but it was also a series that felt like it occasionally meandered, or lost focus somewhat, with some of the episodes dropping into absolute whimsicle farcism.

Honestly, I probably would have prefered the series if it had more of a coherant focus at times, and if less of it had been spent travelling, and more time in Romdo/Romdeau (hooray for official subs that don't match the official spelling). Honestly, the more populated (and not the strange pseudo-realities) sections of the show where the ones that were more interesting, at least to me.

I think Ergo Proxy is a series that will either gel well, or introduce a sense of disconnection in the viewer, dependant on how well they connect with the way the series presents itself, and how it progresses.

To me it falls into the block of series I'm kinda glad I've seen once, but I don't know if I see myself ever watching it again.

Rewatched Tokyo godfathers

I like it everytime I watch it it gives me giggles it's a funny movie with a good christmas story, a man a girl and a gay guy comes a cross a baby that was abandondand they decide to find the perants and give it back to then.

It's a shame this movie didn't get a English dub cause I think it would of been a even bigger hit with fans cause I found the storey nice I loved the humor * very funny* but everytime I had to stop the DVD and read the subs which was distracting but other then that it was a good movie

9/10

alexrose1uk said:
Ergo Proxy - */10
I find it really hard to rate Ergo Proxy; one on hand it was a very different and interesting look at a post apocalyptic world, with a touch of dystopian society thrown in for fun, but it was also a series that felt like it occasionally meandered, or lost focus somewhat, with some of the episodes dropping into absolute whimsicle farcism.

Agreed on all counts.
This series had a lot of potential at the beginning, but after the first episodes I always got the suspicion that the authors did not know how to continue and how to end the story. The series as a whole is too much disjointed, they started in way, took a totally different direction, and so on another couple of times. Some of the middle random episodes were really good (I loved the quiz show episode), but the overall sensation was of a sum of incomplete ideas. I would say that Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze have a lot of analogies.

Teo

teonzo said:
alexrose1uk said:
Ergo Proxy - */10

Agreed on all counts.
This series had a lot of potential at the beginning, but after the first episodes I always got the suspicion that the authors did not know how to continue and how to end the story. The series as a whole is too much disjointed, they started in way, took a totally different direction, and so on another couple of times. Some of the middle random episodes were really good (I loved the quiz show episode), but the overall sensation was of a sum of incomplete ideas. I would say that Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze have a lot of analogies.

Teo

i thought Ergo Proxy was a ok series...................... sure it got silly at times like on that one episode with the new year episode but that was funny, i wouldn't mind giving it another watch

teonzo said:
alexrose1uk said:
Ergo Proxy - */10

Agreed on all counts.

Teo

I preferred Tehxnolyze. Whilst a very strange watch, it felt more coherant. It is quite similar in theme/feel though.

Princess Tutu

I have to admit I was skeptical before watching this show since I'm not a big fan of girlish stuff, but I've been positevely surprised. The story hooked me since the first episode, on the other hand it took a couple of episodes before I could appreciate the character design. After getting accustomed to the visuals I'd say that the first half of the series was almost perfect: great writing, great timings, perfect match between feelings, musics and images. I don't know if it was supposed to be 13 episodes and then it got prolongued or if it was planned from the beginning to have 2 seasons, but it's one of the few cases where the ending of the first season could be a perfect finale for the series. The second part was really good, but not at the same levels of the first part: I did not like how they handled the Rue character for some periods, plus a couple of episodes were "only" good.
The best thing about this show is how it manages to keep its qualities on all the different levels. The creators did a great job to write a show that stands up from almost every angle you watch it. I really liked all the mirrorings, recursiveness and so on between all the stories inside the story and outside the story, but, as I said, there is a bit of a letdown on the second half.
The voice acting of the 2 female lead characters was simply great. Plus this series has probably the best soundtrack in anime ever.
So I would say that first season would be a 9 or a 9.5, the second one a 8.

Score: 8.5 / 10

Are there other "girlish" shows of this quality?

Teo

ilmaestro said:
Full Moon wo Sagashite? Utena? BeruBara?

True, I watched all BeruBara and some episodes of Utena, I forgot about them and luckily there are the Italian boxsets.
I just gave a look about Full Moon, it seems really interesting, but I've found some DVDs only on amazon.com (no sign on the other online vendors I checked), they do not seem to cover the whole series, plus nr 7 is pretty expensive. Is there a legit boxset?

Teo

teonzo said:
Are there other "girlish" shows of this quality?

Teo

CCS
Fullmoon wo Sagashite (was dropped by English publisher (Viz) along with Monster, has USA only streaming)
Heartcatch Precure
Kare Kano
Marimite
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Antique Bakery

Honestly speaking I was hoping in more pastry and less romance. The first episodes were too focused on romance between characters, romantic comedy has never been my genre, so I was tempted to drop the series. I persevered and luckily the episodes on the 2nd and 3rd DVDs were more suitable for my tastes: almost no romance, more pastry, more showing the characters trying to reach their goals. I liked the light-hearted and positive flow of the second half of the series, especially the ending.
About the pastry side, they put a lot of care on depicting almost all the things in the correct way. There are a couple of errors here and there, but they are pretty forgivable, it's hard to find something more refined (only example coming to mind is Ratatouille). But I have to admit it's hard to please a professional, we are always looking for every little defects.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

one piece episodes 1 to 130

when i first saw this anime on tv i thought it was silly and wacky and i thought i wouldn't like it............................

OMG was i ever wrong.

i swear one piece has nothing on naruto shippuden, and im a fan of naruto shippuden

it was wacky but it had loads of emotions too it had its sad moments, funny moments, kick ass action moments, its silly moments, and to be honest i never thought there'd be sad moments in this series * cause of its wacky appearance *

it has loads of lovable characters luffy like naruto in many way but more likeable
nami is well.............* blushes * lovable
tony tony chopper is lovable
theres lloads of characters in this series thats likeable

the adventurers and the storys and backstorys are awesome.

i really wish i watched this back when it was on tv it is awesome ^_^

adventurer 10/10
characters 10/10
animation 11/10
storys 10/10
music 9/10 * if you was to put the theme song hes a pirate it would be perfect*

10/10

i know what your thinking its too high a score to put on this series, but i think it deserves it. its not rushed and plays out great.

HACK//quantum

3 episodes and like the other hack series it leaves a gap in it * maybe it gose on to the games to fill in the details i dont know i haven't played the hack// games*

it was short and not a lot of story but the visuals and animation was nice

6.5/10

infinite stratos

its a hearm, fan service, colour coded mechs, all girls like one guy scenario basically.
the storys basic each girl comes in and all of them fall for the same guy.................... but with mechs
animations nice and each of the girls are from a different country japan, france, england, china, german * the french one my favourite*

animation 8.5/10
story 6/10
characters 7/10
fan service 8/10

7/10

Lupin The Third: Secret of Mamo
8/10
Bought this from HMV just because it was £3 and i have to say, That was totally worth the £3!
I watched Castle of Cagliostro a couple of months back and tbh, i preferd Secret of Mamo. It alot more funnier and action orientated that Cagliostro. The animation was Great considering it was made in the 70s, and i thought the music was great! Definitely fit the mood of the film. Lupin is probably one of the most funniest anime characters I've seen.

I wasn't very clear on what the villains goal was. It was a lil overly complex then it needed to be.

Overall a great film and (IMO) alot better than Cagliostro!

animations nice and each of the girls are from a different country japan, france, england, china, german * the french one my favourite*

Charles/Charlotte made the harem part of Infinite Stratos, a bit more bearable and I'm not surprised by your statement.

It's just a shame that Houki is the main love interest, although she was a bit more likeable in the OVA, doesn't change the fact that I hated her throughout the series.

Back