Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Reevothemusefan said:
animations nice and each of the girls are from a different country japan, france, england, china, german * the french one my favourite*

Charles/Charlotte made the harem part of Infinite Stratos, a bit more bearable and I'm not surprised by your statement.

It's just a shame that Houki is the main love interest, although she was a bit more likeable in the OVA, doesn't change the fact that I hated her throughout the series.

i think i know what you mean

you have a guy and then a girl comes along * obviously the girl who's going to end up with the guy* and rest rest of the girls follow.............. i mean its bloody predictable the first girl always ends up with the main guy or is closer to the main guy. i just see no point to hearms unless they cause unless each of the girls all get a equal amount of time with the main guy and shows him that they support him equally so that way we the the viewers will start to think ok * shes* my choice for him
and the reason why i like charles/charlotte is not only does make up the hearm but it not every series you hear a french accent in a anime that a girl is doing

Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven – 10/10

I had high expectations for Eureka Seven before I started watching it, everyone I know who’s seen it raves about how good it is, but I was genuinely taken aback at just how good it turned out to be. Mature, touching, adult, funny, dramatic - Eureka Seven is an incredibly well executed TV series. What was most impressive was how consistent it was throughout its 50 episodes, there was no mid series dip or meandering plot and all the elements were handled with a deft touch, the character development in general but especially Renton’s maturity and his blossoming relationship with Eureka and Holland’s complexities with himself and those around him plus some fantastic action sequences set against a brilliant bit of world building and perfect pacing that moved the main story and it’s sub plots along at just the right time so that the show never became dull or repetitive. Plus I what I really liked was that the writer allowed the ending to develop over 3 episodes so it never felt rushed and it properly concluded without leaving any unanswered questions either.

To top it all off it looked great as well, with nice detailed animation and good looking mecha and vehicles, Bones really know how to do gorgeous mecha series.

I really enjoyed Eureka Seven and it is a series that I really can’t criticise for anything and the fact that I could watch lots of episodes at once without tiring of it and was always looking forward to the next episode means that I’m going to award it a very rare 10.

Robot Carnival – 9/10

Japan’s Fantasia, full of what they loved most in the 80’s – robots! Made at the height of the 80’s bubble economy Robot Carnival is an indulgent masterpiece with some of the best hand crafted animation that you’ll ever see, some of the segments are jaw droppingly stunning to watch. Yes, some of the stories are rather nonsensical but that goes beyond the point of that Robot Carnival stands for, creating something spectacular just for the sake of doing it. Each of the segments are excellent in their own right and quite unique from each other which is why the film is so enjoyable to watch, seeing these different perspectives of a common theme. A piece of anime history that everyone should see at least once.

On a roll...

The Tokyo Project – 7/10

A very typical one shot 80’s mecha OVA with plenty of tense action, a decent plot for its short running time despite the usual gaping holes in it and Masami Obari’s obvious touch to the nice looking animation. I found it an enjoyable watch but then I love this sort of thing, and I think it will only appeal to those brought up on older anime or serious mecha fans.

Souten no Ko Tenguri – 7/10

What is essentially a 22 minute advert for a dairy company by some of Japan’s top animators past and present actually turns out to be a pretty accomplished short film. Tenguri has a more complete plot and set of characters than a lot of longer films and OVA’s have. The story is a simplistic, extolling the virtues of cheese, which is why I haven’t scored it higher and the animation has that very 70’s anime look to it but it is of a very high quality given its age. Not an essential watch but very interesting nonetheless.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories – 8/10

An excellent expansion to the original UC plot line, with the first Neo-Zeon war bringing about the rise of the Titans and filling in the key gap between First and Zeta. The first half is good but it stumbles along in places and Monsha is a bit of a ridiculous character, but the series really gets going once the action moves into space and the second half is fantastic with a continuous flow of intense battle sequences coupled with some very haunting music that adds an edgy feel to everything.

I love seeing the remnants of the OYW in space with battle debris floating around and the whole UC Gundam rhetoric in general. The animation is of a very high standard and it looks really nice as do the mecha designs, and I like the bulky and oversized looks of the GP02, Neue Ziel and especially the Dendrobium.

What stops 0083 getting a 9 in my view are parts of the first half and some glaring inconsistencies in the plot throughout, but this is still a very good Gundam show.

gun sword

ok in this series i see
cowboy bepbop
trigun
burst angel * the robot parts*
and Evangelion
if these series didn't exist gun sword wouldn't have existed its the truth. the main hero has the face of spike from cowboy bepbop and he raids a giant robot called a armour.

this series is a cowboy themed series but van instead carrys a sword instead of a gun and he acts like a laxy cowboy
the story is the combination of trigun and cowboy bepbop on a journey with his companion wendy thats trying to find her brother that was kidnapped by a person call the claw that did something to van and van is trying to find him.

story 7/10
characters 7/10
animation 7/10
i was a ok series to watch but if it wasn't for all the robots all the time it would of been better
there was two things that got on my nerves
1 was the trying to listen to the conversations while they was in there robots, i couldn't hear what they was saying so i had to put on the subs which didn't help
2 josh- this kid is a idiot and a spaz............... if you watch this you'll know what i mean
7.5/10

trigun

no matter how many times i watch this series i never get bored with it its a classic its funny vash is a fun character * some say hes a idiot for not killing in self defence but i think thats awesome if he can live and saves people without killing others* its aged but in a classic way

i said this before but i would really like to see the manga version in anime from beginning to end but theres nothing wrong with the anime its a good series .

9/10

Ponyo

5/10

I'll say this right now: Ghibli is clearly not for me. I have only really been able to get into Totoro, the rest I have found pretty dull. I don't for a second deny that they are all well made, but none of them have really grabbed me. I felt like nothing of importance actually happened in Ponyo.

Basically there's all this drama in which nothing is really at stake. Her dad says "The World is going to end!" and yet we never really see any consequence of that. There's the big storm and that is literally it. Not to mention the ending really annoyed me. They big up this whole "Will Sousuke really fall in love with Ponyo?" and he essentially just says "yes" and that's it. I feel like all the build up of that was pointless...

I understand that in many ways Totoro was pointless too (and in the grand scheme of things, pretty much all movies), in that not much really happens, but it was pointless in an engaging way. I never felt engaged by Ponyo, so I think I should just not watch anymore Ghibli. I've given it a fair shot, seen about... maybe 10 or so films, most of the popular ones, and none have grabbed me. I think it's fair to say anymore time I personally spend watching Ghibli is time wasted, which is a shame.

Ponyo was far from great. I actually found myself enjoying the slice of life family segments of the film (such as when the mother and kids take shelter from the storm) much more than the fantastic elements, which just seemed too much a jumble of ideas not particularly well stitched into the overall storyline.

Miyazaki always strikes me as someone who has very specific visual ideas he wants to realise (sometimes barely even connected to the story he's telling) and when incorporated into the story in such a way that you don't actually notice that fact while watching (definitely the case with Totoro and arguably Spirited Away - though some would no doubt dispute the latter) it works brilliantly. In Ponyo however I felt as though you could almost have slid in silent era title cards as we begin each set-piece.

Out of interest, which Ghibli films have you seen Sparrow?

ayase said:
Ponyo was far from great. I actually found myself enjoying the slice of life family segments of the film (such as when the mother and kids take shelter from the storm) much more than the fantastic elements, which just seemed too much a jumble of ideas not particularly well stitched into the overall storyline.

Miyazaki always strikes me as someone who has very specific visual ideas he wants to realise (sometimes barely even connected to the story he's telling) and when incorporated into the story in such a way that you don't actually notice that fact while watching (definitely the case with Totoro and arguably Spirited Away - though some would no doubt dispute the latter) it works brilliantly. In Ponyo however I felt as though you could almost have slid in silent era title cards as we begin each set-piece.

Out of interest, which Ghibli films have you seen Sparrow?

I'll check my MAL. I've starred the ones I really liked, plused the ones I enjoyed somewhat and minused the absolute dross.

Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle*
Ponyo
The Castle of Cagliostro (does that count?)
The Cat Returns+
Porco Rosso+
My Neighbour Totoro*
Princess Mononoke
Only Yesterday
Tales of Earthsea-
Grave of the Fireflies

I have Little Norse Prince recorded, but I feel I've sampled enough Ghlibli to state that I've given it a fair run and that any more that I watched would merely be to say I've seen more Ghibli.

I think it'd be a little harsh to write off all the rest of the Ghibli films just like that. Nausicaa (though not technically a Ghibli production) is a fantastic watch in my opinion. Then again, I'm of the opinion that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest films ever, whilst according to your scale, you don't really have an opinion one way or the other towards it.

Each to their own, after all! :p

Edit: I have a feeling that I may be the only person in the world with any kind of positive feelings towards Tales from Earthsea. :lol:

You've seen a pretty varied cross section then, but to stop now and miss out on Nausicaä, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart? Madness. That's some of Ghibli's best work right there. If you liked Howl I can't see you disliking Laputa; it's somewhat hard to judge what you'd think of the others.

Cagliostro is definitely more Miyazaki than it is Lupin, but it's still an excellent film... surely it deserves at least a plus sign?

I would agree that the more quiet moments of interaction between Ponyo, Soseki and his mother are certainly the best moments in the movie (though, how anyone can even slightly begrudge the fantastical scenes when they're delivered in such visual magnificence, I don't know), but then, that trait is pretty consistent among nearly all of Miyazaki's movies I've seen (at least the ones starring child protagonists).

I can't say that Ponyo was perfectly put together, and that there weren't certain elements that could have been fleshed out a bit more. But that didn't matter to me as I felt that Miyazaki achieved the most important feat: delivering the watcher (at least me) back to their childhood (or indeed the childhood of children you may have known), and to a state of unbridled wonder and awe, while never devolving to the overt cheese fests that oh so many Disney films do. It's a ode to the best aspects of childhood, as far as I am concerned.

Also, it's still a fair bit better put together than he previous film Howls was, which (from what I can remember of it, I should probably rewatch) was a bit messy.

Dirty Pair - Affair of Nolandia - 3/10

My feature collection DVD set arrived, so I thought I'd start with the worst of the three. Nolandia is a bad film (or, more precisely, 55 minute OVA). Kei and Yuri spend much of the first half traversing a verdant planet in search of a young girl while having bizarre hallucinations and frolicking about. An infodump later in the film reveals, far too late for me to care, what exactly is going on - and it wasn't worth the wait. At least there's some decent action in the last 15 minutes, as The Terminator shows up and things start exploding. I can't believe Kazunori Ito wrote this guff; there's no sense of fun here at all, and the weak plot doesn't compensate for it.

The film's darker nature is presumably the reason why the lovely soft, cute character designs of the TV series were fashioned into something much less appealing. See below for comparison to Project Eden, which was released the following year. And while some of the animation is okay, visually the OVA has aged badly.

Kei & Yuri in Nolandia
Kei & Yuri in Project Eden

Ah well, the set would be worth buying for the classic Project Eden alone. That one's up next.

Sekirei seasons 1 and 2

To start the series was very fun to watch as well enjoying the fan service ( boobs, ass, curves) ^_^ The storys simple but enjoyable and is my kind of anime and the end of season 2 there was a to be continued sign so with any luck there'll be season 3
The animations nice and almost all the characters are likeable. I think this is ip on my tOp 10 herams * sorry spelling* and ku is soooo cute its just getting better and better ( hail ecchi) ^_^

8.5/10

vashdaman said:
I would agree that the more quiet moments of interaction between Ponyo, Soseki and his mother are certainly the best moments in the movie (though, how anyone can even slightly begrudge the fantastical scenes when they're delivered in such visual magnificence, I don't know), but then, that trait is pretty consistent among nearly all of Miyazaki's movies I've seen (at least the ones starring child protagonists).

I can't say that Ponyo was perfectly put together, and that there weren't certain elements that could have been fleshed out a bit more. But that didn't matter to me as I felt that Miyazaki achieved the most important feat: delivering the watcher (at least me) back to their childhood (or indeed the childhood of children you may have known), and to a state of unbridled wonder and awe, while never devolving to the overt cheese fests that oh so many Disney films do. It's a ode to the best aspects of childhood, as far as I am concerned.

I certainly don't deny there was visual spectacle, but it was, to me, self-indulgent and without purpose. All the stuff with Ponyo's escape and all the fish pouring out of the sea, but there was no real point to it. I find the movies that irk me most are the ones which have no point. I don't mean that philosophically and I don't mean that nothing happened in them. Avengers was certainly not making any kind of point but the film HAD a point (I use this as it is a recent example, I'm well aware Avengers does not represent the pinnacle of cinema, but I'm trying to explain my point about points :p): it was about disparate people coming together to face a greater threat. THere is struggle and tension and emotional involvement.

Ponyo was about a girl who escaped her father and ends up becoming human. We dont' really see her learn anything, we don't feel that she grows as a character. SHe nearly dies a couple of times but neither are particularly tense moments. THe greatest moment of tension is during the big storm, but the film seems to go out of its way to show how perfectly ok everything is. The father says the world will basically end if Ponyo doesn't become human, or stay pure fish (which is really poorly explained as to why this will happen), but there is absolutely zero tension. The whole situation gets defused with a short exchange of a matter of sentences.

Again, I appreciate the strangeness of this given Totoro is kind of pointless too, but at least in that there was the tension at the end with the ill sister (am I remembering that right? Was she ill or lost?)

I'm probably being overly harsh, especially on a children's film, but movie that make me feel like I wasted my time frustrate me. Green Lantern (sorry to beat the hero horse again, it just happens to be the last mediocre movie I watched) was by many accounts a really sub-par film, but I still came away from that feeling it had a point.

VoxPhantom said:
I think it'd be a little harsh to write off all the rest of the Ghibli films just like that. Nausicaa (though not technically a Ghibli production) is a fantastic watch in my opinion. Then again, I'm of the opinion that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest films ever, whilst according to your scale, you don't really have an opinion one way or the other towards it.

Each to their own, after all! :p

Edit: I have a feeling that I may be the only person in the world with any kind of positive feelings towards Tales from Earthsea. :lol:

Mmm... I may dip into the final "big" ones, but honestly? I just feel like "I've spent nearly 22 hours of my life watching these movies, of which the overall summary is about 11 hours enjoyment. I think it's fair to say I've given Miyazaki enough of my time." =P THere are other series more suited to my tastes that I've yet to see. I still need to finish Rainbow and Planetes and GITSSAC and I want to give Aoi Bungaku a go. Ghibli is just in my way at this point.

ayase said:
You've seen a pretty varied cross section then, but to stop now and miss out on Nausicaä, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart? Madness. That's some of Ghibli's best work right there. If you liked Howl I can't see you disliking Laputa; it's somewhat hard to judge what you'd think of the others.

Cagliostro is definitely more Miyazaki than it is Lupin, but it's still an excellent film... surely it deserves at least a plus sign?

Hnngh... I just think it's basically Miyazaki's style which I dislike and the Ghibli style in general. It's not to my tastes. If I watched more it would be to say I had seen them, not from any desire to and I think at that point is when you need to step back and say "My time is better spent doing something I enjoy, not something I SHOULD enjoy".

Hopefully I have answered everyone satisfactorally :p

Trigun badlands rumble

I think it stays true to the original animation style and some new visuals have been put in as well. The story is just one big episode it dosnt effect the main series it's a basic story and it didn't surprise me I could see what was going to happen in the end.
It was fun to watch and has a backstory but like I said it was a hour and a half ep but it was good.

7.5/10

Back