Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

get backers

* spoilers ahead *
ummmm where do i start

the first-time you watch get backers its loads of fun, its one wild raid after another and most of the characters are lovable and/or likeable and the anime is funny genji is so cute and funny and the stories are in 1 to 8 or more episodes.

altho i like it there are a few things that are unexplained or dont makes sense e.g.

they dont tell us how most of the character get there powers from.
or that dont make sense

Gen says he found makubex as a baby but it turns out that he is data that doesn't make sense.

but in any case i like the series its a lot of fun to watch.

9.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
@animefreak17

I think some spoiler marks are needed for your post, as I have seen Get Backers and some of that, mainly the one but last line, is quite deep into the story, and I'm sure you don't want to ruin it for someone. =)

JamesX said:
@animefreak17

I think some spoiler marks are needed for your post, as I have seen Get Backers and some of that, mainly the one but last line, is quite deep into the story, and I'm sure you don't want to ruin it for someone. =)
done

animefreak17 said:
JamesX said:
@animefreak17

done

no, AF he means use spoiler TAGS i.e. [spoiler ] spoiler text [ /spoiler] only without the spaces in the square brackets

I have done it, you can see how it looks if you edit your post now, AF17. I still haven't watched my Getbackers >_>;

R

animefreak17 said:
get backers

* spoilers ahead *
ummmm where do i start

the first-time you watch get backers its loads of fun, its one wild raid after another and most of the characters are lovable and/or likeable and the anime is funny genji is so cute and funny and the stories are in 1 to 8 or more episodes.

altho i like it there are a few things that are unexplained or dont makes sense e.g.

they dont tell us how most of the character get there powers from.
or that dont make sense

Gen says he found makubex as a baby but it turns out that he is data that doesn't make sense.

but in any case i like the series its a lot of fun to watch.

9.5/10

totally agree. It was a great anime series but left alot unexplaind! Akabane was probably my favourite.

Gurren Lagann I thought it was a terrific show it always had me wanting to watch more and never had a dull moment so I'll give it a solid 9/10 would have been 10 if kamina hadn't died so early in the show I know it resulted in character development for simon but I thought he was hilarious and badass, so I wanted to see more of him. Hope I've done the spoilers right.

sean morrison said:
Gurren Lagann I thought it was a terrific show it always had me wanting to watch more and never had a dull moment so I'll give it a solid 9/10 would have been 10 if kamina hadn't died so early in the show I know it resulted in character development for simon but I thought he was hilarious and badass, so I wanted to see more of him. Hope I've done the spoilers right.

Yes you've done them right. I know it is shame that Kamina was killed so early on, but it was one of the most moving moments in the show and it did increase the development of the other characters. Mind you it would have been nice to see how Kamina and Nia would have got on.

Kino's Journey

This series is about (generic spoiler) a girl travelling with her motorbike through various countries and experiencing different cultures. The overall feel is surreal with sad tones and it's a show of its own, quite different from any anime series I've seen until now. With these premises I thought I was going to enjoy it a lot, since I love surreal and personal shows, but to be honest nothing really grabbed me. I appreciate and understand the objective qualities of this series, but on the subjective side I've never felt captured by the story, maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this. So overall a good show, but lacking the kick to be with the greats.
And I still wonder which kind of sick effects Japanese people get while visiting Venice, I can't count in how many different ways they distorted it only in anime.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

teonzo said:
Kino's Journey

This series is about (generic spoiler) a girl travelling with her motorbike through various countries and experiencing different cultures. The overall feel is surreal with sad tones and it's a show of its own, quite different from any anime series I've seen until now. With these premises I thought I was going to enjoy it a lot, since I love surreal and personal shows, but to be honest nothing really grabbed me. I appreciate and understand the objective qualities of this series, but on the subjective side I've never felt captured by the story, maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this. So overall a good show, but lacking the kick to be with the greats.
And I still wonder which kind of sick effects Japanese people get while visiting Venice, I can't count in how many different ways they distorted it only in anime.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

That's a girl!? Jaysus I though I'd been in anime enough to know the difference by now but it keeps throwing me curve balls...

Sparrowsabre7 said:
That's a girl!? Jaysus I though I'd been in anime enough to know the difference by now but it keeps throwing me curve balls...

Yeah, that's why I wrote it under a spoiler (and I suggest you to edit your post too).
(as_generic_as_I_could_do spoiler) I thought it was a boy as well, but after some episodes it came out it's a girl. As far as I understood (I watched it with English subtitles, nobody ever referred to her with female pronouns for some episodes, if I recall right, but maybe it happened in the original Japanese, which I don't understand) it was an intended effect for the progression of the show, and for an episode in particular, which would loose some pathos if the watcher already knew that the traveller was a girl.

Teo

teonzo said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Yeah, that's why I wrote it under a spoiler (and I suggest you to edit your post too).
(as_generic_as_I_could_do spoiler) I thought it was a boy as well, but after some episodes it came out it's a girl. As far as I understood (I watched it with English subtitles, nobody ever referred to her with female pronouns for some episodes, if I recall right, but maybe it happened in the original Japanese, which I don't understand) it was an intended effect for the progression of the show, and for an episode in particular, which would loose some pathos if the watcher already knew that the traveller was a girl.

Teo
She speaks male (i.e. male personal pronoun), and has a male name (it being an assumed one).

Reaper gI said:
teonzo said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Teo
She speaks male (i.e. male personal pronoun), and has a male name (it being an assumed one).

If you watch the series, episode 4 (Land of Adults -Natural Right) explains Kino's past.

The episode 4 description from Wikipedia says this,
Kino was not always a traveler, nor was she always named Kino. As a child, she grew up in the Land of Adults, a place where adulthood and responsibility are attained by means of a single operation carried out on every child's twelfth birthday. As an eleven year old girl, Kino fully expected to undergo the operation and become an adult, until a mysterious traveller visited her country and opened her eyes to other possibilities...

There have been a couple of good discussion threads about Kino's Journey in the past if you want to search and add your thoughts to them. I don't really think that's much of a spoiler (I knew from the beginning) but if it made a difference to you then I'll presume it may to others as well. "Land of Adults" happens fairly early on and is an excellent episode, but I don't think Kino being of any particular gender makes it any more or less involving. Isn't gender pretty irrelevant, and isn't Kino's appearance proof positive of that fact? Also I'll just leave this here (again):

a777217473551c2dc077fcbb83dda3c5.jpg

The last few posts here are the kind that can only ever be about anime. But I said it before Sparrow and I'll say it again- never let your guard down!! Also never let your guard down when dealing with Japanese rock groups- that hot little shawty with the slightly excessive makeup your eyeing...may just be a hot little BLOKE! Then all that's left to do is doubt your sexuality....

misaki chronicles

i believe its a little better then the first series in the first series i couldn't understand anything that was going on * but the fan service made up for that *

the storys ok but its sometimes hard to understand it and make heads or tails of things.

the CGIs ok as well as the animation.

7.5/10

ayase said:
There have been a couple of good discussion threads about Kino's Journey in the past if you want to search and add your thoughts to them.

Thanks, I'll give a look.

ayase said:
I don't really think that's much of a spoiler (I knew from the beginning) but if it made a difference to you then I'll presume it may to others as well. "Land of Adults" happens fairly early on and is an excellent episode, but I don't think Kino being of any particular gender makes it any more or less involving.

Yes, it doesn't change much for the overall series, but I think that knowing it from the beginning then while watching "Land of Adults" I would have guessed the ending about at half the episode, while I guessed it only in the final minutes.
By the way, I'm still wondering why I didn't like so much this show. It's quite strange, since it touches similar chords to Haibane Renmei and Mushishi, and I loved those 2 shows. If I try to look at this series rationally, then I can't find any flaws, it simply did not catch me. I'll try to rewatch it in the next months, maybe it was just a matter of personal mood.

Reaper gI said:

Thanks, this is a precious detail!

vashdaman said:
The last few posts here are the kind that can only ever be about anime. But I said it before Sparrow and I'll say it again- never let your guard down!! Also never let your guard down when dealing with Japanese rock groups- that hot little shawty with the slightly excessive makeup your eyeing...may just be a hot little BLOKE! Then all that's left to do is doubt your sexuality....

This sounds much like "I'm a manly fan of Versailles". Didn't expect this coming from you, Vash.

Teo

On Kino No Tabi, I assumed from the outset that it was possible she was a (boyish) girl. Perhaps because I am one as well? :)

She's certainly not very feminine, but I think her androgynous demeanour plays to the viewer's personal prejudices a little too.

(As an anecdote, I often incorrectly assume weird characters are girls, because traditionally non-harem series tend to have very few girls and that always feels wrong to me. When I first saw posters of One Piece many, many years ago, I thought Usopp might be female ;_; )

R

Back