Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I'm still wondering why I didn't like so much this show. It's quite strange, since it touches similar chords to Haibane Renmei and Mushishi, and I loved those 2 shows. If I try to look at this series rationally, then I can't find any flaws, it simply did not catch me. I'll try to rewatch it in the next months, maybe it was just a matter of personal mood.
I'll let you dig that older thread out to save repeating myself, but I think Kino is a very interesting show from the point of view of taking a step back and examining the way the world works; a lot of the episodes being allegorical in nature and Kino's passive observer stance for much of the time. I'd say that if you liked those two shows, it's well worth a re-watch if you find yourself in a philosophical mood (finding reverse traps hot probably helps too).

Rui said:
On Kino No Tabi, I assumed from the outset that it was possible she was a (boyish) girl. Perhaps because I am one as well?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: All the good women are taken or gay.

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
I'll let you dig that older thread out to save repeating myself, but I think Kino is a very interesting show from the point of view of taking a step back and examining the way the world works

I've read it, but before writing any more comments I think it's better to rewatch the show. I'll try again the next year.

Teo

Now and Then, Here and There

I have mixed feelings about this show.
I found the main story quite boring and predictable, it's full of situations already seen elsewhere and made ten times better:
- a good boy helping a not ordinary girl, check;
- boy gets captured by the evil bastard and gets beaten, check;
- boy escapes with the girl through the desert and faces troubles, check;
- boy and girl find good people living the rural way, check;
- village gets attacked by the evil bastard, check;
- boy gets angry and annihilates the evil bastard and his evil machine, check.

On the other side, there are a lot of powerful and touching scenes, especially the ones involving Sara, better keep away children from these cruel views. Another good point of the show is the character design of the evil bastard, at the first moment you see him you want to smash his idiotic face with some Hokuto moves, so they reached their goal.
Overall, many great scenes tied together by a weak story.
Besides the show, I must complain with the quality of the DVDs. I bought the region 1 edition by ADV, and it simply sucks. There are 3 DVDs, but they included all the 13 episodes in the first 2 DVDs. So it's like watching a videogame from the 80's or playing with Lego, the video quality is terrible. I can understand that adding some extras is always welcome, but it has no sense to use 1 DVD for the extras and only 2 DVDs for the episodes, I prefer to have good quality episodes and no extra than having crap quality episodes and a lot of extras. Meh.

Score: 7 / 10

Teo

vashdaman wrote:
The last few posts here are the kind that can only ever be about anime. But I said it before Sparrow and I'll say it again- never let your guard down!! Also never let your guard down when dealing with Japanese rock groups- that hot little shawty with the slightly excessive makeup your eyeing...may just be a hot little BLOKE! Then all that's left to do is doubt your sexuality....

This sounds much like "I'm a manly fan of Versailles". Didn't expect this coming from you, Vash.

Really? Did you expect me to say I'm a effeminate fan of Versailles :p ?

You can be manly and still like Versailles.......you just have to reinforce your manly ego with a manly activity after listening/watching them. For example, going straight down to your local newsagent and buying the new edition of both Nuts and Zoo or scratching your groin in public with a look of pride and satisfaction on your face

The confusion at the start of Kino's Journey regarding the issue is definitely intended, so I would agree with the "slight spoiler" opinion.

vashdaman said:
The last few posts here are the kind that can only ever be about anime.
Yes, questions of gender are only ever broached in the form of Japanese cartoons.

red garden

awesome thriller drama anime its really unique
the storys great the plots good and the characters are good in there own way.
its about 4 girls who gets killed and are resurrected to fight people who gets turned in to monsters, while dealing with there own troubled lives

i found it thrilling to watch all 22 episode but the OVA was a lil silly

but overall

story 9.5/10
animation 9.5/10
characters 8.5/10

its really good its has a charm to it its drama with out anything over the top ( excluding the OVA )

9.5/10

Whisper of the Heart

This anime proofs that you should not judge a DVD by it's cover. When I first looked at it I thought it would be very similar to The Cat Returns (indeed, it is considered the unofficial sequel as it features some of the same characters such as the Baron). However, I prefer The Cat Returns to this. This film felt a bit long for what it was, which was basically a story about a young schoolgirl finding love. However, I did enjoy the fantasy and musical scenes.

Score: 6 / 10

Ian Wolf said:
Whisper of the Heart

This anime proofs that you should not judge a DVD by it's cover. When I first looked at it I thought it would be very similar to The Cat Returns (indeed, it is considered the unofficial sequel as it features some of the same characters such as the Baron). However, I prefer The Cat Returns to this. This film felt a bit long for what it was, which was basically a story about a young schoolgirl finding love. However, I did enjoy the fantasy and musical scenes.

Score: 6 / 10
It was the popularity said fantasy scenes that led to The Cat Returns xD

Personally, I loved the film. It was a heart warming, down to earth love story. Sure, it isn't the best Ghibli film out there, but I personally rate it as one of the better ones (The Cat Returns is still the best though!).

Joshawott said:
Sure, it isn't the best Ghibli film out there, but I personally rate it as one of the better ones (The Cat Returns is still the best though!).

The best of the two or best of all the Ghibli films?

My opinion, I'd say best of the two though I also still like whisper very much.

Last anime I watched, Gantz, and I really wish I hadn't, it was overlong and contrived and there were far too many moments where I was screaming at the screen in frustration as the characters failed to comprehend the objective at hand (kill the monsters with the guns provided,) which isn't quite so acceptable on their second or third bounty. I know FPS games aren't popular in japan, but even I can't imagine a server of japanese CoD players all running around refusing to shoot each other.

zetsubou.jpg

I'm in despair! People preferring The Cat Returns to Whisper of the Heart has left me in despair!

ayase said:
zetsubou.jpg

I'm in despair! People preferring The Cat Returns to Whisper of the Heart has left me in despair!

Well if it makes you feel any better, The Cat Returns I taped off telly, Whisper of the Heart I have on DVD, and I'm looking to get on Blu as well.

Which is where my preference lies...

I really loved Whisper of the Heart, I just found the tale and execution charming, and extremely sweet.
Still amazed Disney cut a certain something from the end in the US release. I haven't seen Cat yet, but based on Whisper being probably my favourite Ghibli so far, I find it hard pushed to think it'll win.

My other favourite so far would probably be Arriety, simply because I thought the soundtrack was sublime.

I'm looking forward to the Ghibli season on Film 4 starting this weekend :)

While it's not my fav (that's probably Porco Rosso), I do rate Whisper Of The Heart as one of the better Ghibli films and it's certainly better than The cat Returns.

Whisper of the Heart is my favourite Ghibli movie, narrowly edging out Kiki's Delivery Service and Totoro. Personally I think Ghibli are at their best when making gentle, down-to-earth films with just a touch of whimsy. Whisper also has the best dub ever.

Seems I've caused something of a faux-pas with regards to Whipser/Cat Returns. Maybe I was wrong in my judgement. Probably need to re-watch the two together to get a better comparison.

Ian Wolf said:
Seems I've caused something of a faux-pas with regards to Whipser/Cat Returns. Maybe I was wrong in my judgement. Probably need to re-watch the two together to get a better comparison.

Why? Because you expressed an opinion? If everyone on the forum listed all the Ghibli films in order from best to worst there would be plenty of different lists.

mangaman74 said:
Ian Wolf said:

Why? Because you expressed an opinion? If everyone on the forum listed all the Ghibli films in order from best to worst there would be plenty of different lists.

True. Just seems to have sparked something of a debate. Mind you that's what forums are for I suppose.

Ian Wolf said:
mangaman74 said:
Ian Wolf said:
True. Just seems to have sparked something of a debate. Mind you that's what forums are for I suppose.
Debate? This is barely even a discussion. You expressed your opinion (which you're absolutely entitled to and not wrong - that's your preference) and I expressed mine to the contrary. If it were a debate believe me, you'd know about it... Whisper is probably my favourite Ghibli film and I didn't think The Cat Returns was all that great at all, so that's why I felt the need for the Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei image. But that being a comedy show and all, I didn't mean for it to be taken too seriously.

Back