Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I've been threatening this one for a long while now, but it's finally done.

Golgo 13: Queen Bee

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AB9dVGnShr0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AB9dVGnShr0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Uh, I spotted a cheesy triple take of one of Dezaki's cheesy dramatic freeze-frame paintings. It's like all my nightmares became real at once.

And yet, I still have a faint desire to watch the film, mainly owing to your most enjoyable video review.

Yeah, after I started editing the review together, I did rather wonder if I ought to re-write my comment about the postcard memories being less intrusive...

I still reckon they aren't quite as bad as they were in The Professional though. There's a scene in that, where the daughter-in-law walks away from Dawson and his cronies, which is replayed from three different angles in quick succession. In each one, the shot fades into a freeze frame at the end. Even I would say that was a bit much.

And thank you :)

I actually meant to write "ugh" instead of "uh", which makes it sound as though I was questioning your wisdom. I would do nothing of the sort. And I remember that scene from The Professional =D

Think I might pick me up a copy from Anime-On-Line for a fiver.

Professor Irony said:
I did rather like the increasingly ridiculous 'next episode' taglines in the dub though. Hearing the announcer spout things like, "Rise from the fires of hell, Gundam!", was quite amusing.

That's like, the best part of any Gundam show, like, EVER!

I have a friend who's also into Gundam, and we keep coming out with our own variants on that motif. Oh, the fun and japes we enjoy!

hopeful_monster said:
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083
You say all this, and yet you conveniently overlook the character of Monsha.

1276671949774.jpg

He's the series' saving grace!

1276672006207.png

HdE said:
Professor Irony said:
I did rather like the increasingly ridiculous 'next episode' taglines in the dub though. Hearing the announcer spout things like, "Rise from the fires of hell, Gundam!", was quite amusing.

That's like, the best part of any Gundam show, like, EVER!

I have a friend who's also into Gundam, and we keep coming out with our own variants on that motif. Oh, the fun and japes we enjoy!

*murders*

Turn A Gundam is easily one of the best gundam's ever produced, and compared to tomino's last gundam offering (V Gundam) its vastly different and i found it to be more somber, shame its only in japan though. I would jump on a Beez sub only set in a heartbeat.

Bleach Season 4 Part 3 (Disc 2) - I watch a disc a day with multi-disc sets.

Personally, I was enjoying the Bount arc during Part 1, but from Part 2 onwards it seemed to slip. It could also be due to me having to wait an extra month for my volume as it got lost in the post, so I had to get a replacement, but I was actually getting pretty bored towards the middle-part of the DVD. I want the Arrancar arc already...

4/10

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam – 8/10

A good solid mecha show with good characters, some fantastic action and a decent well developed plot. It is pure ‘Kill’em All’ Tomino Gundam through and through and true to form dark and brutal with a high, gruesome body count.

It’s been a few years since I last saw Victory and I really enjoyed watching it again and worthy of it’s reputation in mecha folklore but it isn’t quite on the same plane as Zeta or the original movie trilogy that would make it a great series.

Some of the niggles I have of it are that it sort of looses its way in the middle where the story isn’t really being moved on and the repeated use of the ‘introduce a new character with some reason to find peace and then kill them at the end of the episode’ in episode plot device does become very tiresome and unoriginal after the 6th or 7th time. Also whilst I liked the look of the Victory and V2 Gundam’s in their various guises but thought the majority of the Zanscare mobile suits and battleships were terrible, not attractive designs at all.

A very worthy addition to the Universal Century timeline IMHO.

Bleach Season 4 Part 3 - Disc 3

Can the background get any darker? I'm watching this on a 37" TV, so I should be able to pick out the details. The backgrounds are too dark to know what's going on. Uyru is officially a plank.

And although they get funny later on, so far, the Illustrated Guide to Soul Reapers - Golden isn't comedy gold.

4/10

Ponyo Blu-Ray

Just magical. Watched it with my 3 year old niece and she loved it, and asked for more when it finished (I had to tell her it was the only one and we'd watch it again soon lol).

plus it looked amazing on BR to boot.

Evangelion 1:11 your are (not) alone
10/10
I cant believe that i actually liked this. It was great!!
The animation was great, the scenery was beautiful, the action was amazing and it wasnt confusing like the series.....But im sure the next one will most likely be confusing. Oh well.

Finally finished Angel Beats! the other day.

This felt to me like two potential 10/10 series that they tried to force into 13 episodes, the emotionally driven character series was awesome, but the Matrix-esque "mythology" series running at the same time was not quite as well developed, so

9/10

overall.

Gokusen - 6/10

A fiery Yakuza family heiress, Kumiko, wants to be a teacher so that she right the wrongs of the system. She ends up at a school for delinquents, determined to set the students on the right path by showing that someone cares about and respects them. You know how it goes.

Kumiko is easily the best thing about the show, and pretty much the only reason it's worth watching. The funniest moments involve her efforts to hide her Yakuza identity from everyone at school--not easy when the students keep lighting her perilously short fuse. While I obviously miss the nuance of the change in her speech patterns, the subtitles and tone of her voice effectively convey the shift from polite, naive rookie teacher to a tough woman not used to taking **** from anyone.

Otherwise there's not much else of note here. One student aside, the supporting cast is weak--I honestly can't even remember any of their names. This is a problem because the episodic stories tend to revolve around one or more of them getting into some kind of trouble before Kumiko comes to the rescue, and I couldn't find much reason to care. Nor could Madhouse, it seems, judging by their way, way below par effort with the animation. It's an ugly show, partly by design and partly through lack of budget. And I still have no idea what the point of the dog is.

But overall I'd say it was just about worth watching for Kumiko and her Yakuza-related japery.

Back