Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I think people's opinion on FMP! drastically change when they see TSR. As Arby explained it gets much darker, much juicier, bit better animated and more fun overall.

Berserk 10/10

I can't rate this any lower, nor can i explain how much i adored all of the cast. All of them where so colourful, strong characters, powerful relationships, love, sadness, jealousy, hatred, all so evident, yet all have such a strong impact on the characters. You can see this even outside the main three of Casca, Guts and Griffith. The trust and bond between Guts and his mean, Jedeau, Pippin, Corkas, its brilliant. Not only that, its such a strong story, and even if i do(for obvious reasons) detest how it ends, its just powerful in how it does it. Yes, this is dated now, but its got everything, amazing characters, brilliant music, from the genius of Hirasawa to the engrish opening and endings, powerful story and great action, i really can't recommend this enough.

Wait... are you only just finishing Berserk now or is it a re-watch? If it's a first time viewing I'm kind of surprised. Also, catch up on the manga!

I just finished the first watch, i had up to 21 watched till today, and because of money problems, i had no way of picking up the last volume, so did so when i finally got my loan through. I'm up to volume 31 at the moment manga wise, and i think 32 is out next month.

Mazinkaiser the complete collection
8.5/10
Probably one of ADVs most over-looked animes. The action and animation was great, However i coudent help but feel you need atleast some knowledge of Mazinger Z to understand the show fully.

But for £20 Its definately a good buy

RUST HURRICANE!!

Shigurui Death Frenzy 8/10
I've heard a lot of bad things about this anime, admittedly, the violence might be seen as a little shocking but it's nothing to get over-sensitive about. Besides, although the hyper-violent side of the series is what seems to get the most feedback, the story itself outweighs the brutal aspects of the series to a point where the violence really didn't interest me. I thoroughly enjoyed this short little series and didn't expect to after the first episode. But, from then on, the story slowly weaved it's way in and had me hooked. I'm a fan of a proper, serious samurai movie and this was done as a samurai series should be. It reminded me of a Kurosawa samurai movie. Very slow-paced and I think it worked well that way. Very strange at times but also thought provoking if you're into the psyche of a samurai. Much like Texhnolyze, the characters are cold, at times, probably quite dull to your average anime fan. You never really know who to sympathise with, if any. If Lone wolf and cub had ever had an anime series made, it would have been great if it was made in this style. My main gripe with the series is the hugely disappointing ending but I guess that's what you get when the manga is still going. It's a shame, one more episode probably would have done it but I'm hopeful that a second series will get made someday.

Aishiteruze Baby - 8/10

When reading about the desciption on other websites about Aishiteruze Baby I was willing to give it a shot and i'm really glad that I enjoyed all of it, I don't normally watch 4 episodes a day.

I liked it how it centres on family more than anything else, most situations concerning loss of a family member in the past or Stress of looking after a child and developing a rage, these affect the characters though out the episodes, I was really drawn into it.

All characters were likeable: Kippei starts off a ladies man but as the anime progresses he becomes more responsible and Yuzuyu who struggles without her mother but she is happy that Kippei is taking care of her.

Aishiteruze Baby suffers from a bit of fillers now and again and I found that sometimes you get scenes where 2 characters look at each other back and forth which I found a bit pointless however its a great shojo anime thoughout the 26 episodes.

Paradise Kiss - 9/10

The first thing that struck me upon watching the first episode (apart from the trippy pre-opening sequence in which strange animated creatures are wandering around photographic backdrops) was the cool as hell OP. Both the moody electro-pop song and accompanying visuals exude an irresistible sense of style. Nobuteru Yuki is one of my favourite character designers and in Paradise Kiss his designs are typically elegant and detailed. I became a fan of Osamu Kobayashi while watching Beck and his style, too, is very much evident here, especially with regards to scene composition and the gorgeous, detailed backgrounds. And the elaborate costume designs are dazzling. All this detail means that animation (that is, movement) is rather limited, but it looks so good that it doesn't matter. The whole thing is effortlessly cool.

I was drawn in by the story as well. At the outset, main character Yukari seems to live for little more than the approval of her mother, studying hard for college entrance exams because that's what's expected of her--regardless of what she wants for herself. But even she doesn't realize what that is until a chance encounter with the members of Paradise Kiss, a local after-school fashion club. They see in her an extraordinary beauty and want her to model for them. Over the course of the series Yukari changes into someone who can think for herself, though she makes plenty of mistakes and rash decisions along the way. Add one of the most realistic and non-idealized romances I've seen in anime and you have an incredibly enjoyable show all the way through to its bittersweet ending.

My only issue is with the final episode, which seemed to rush through events a little too quickly. The manga's only five volumes but I imagine it must have been a tight squeeze to fit everything into a half-season anime. Perhaps it could have done with another episode or two.

Jayme said:
I think people's opinion on FMP! drastically change when they see TSR. As Arby explained it gets much darker, much juicier, bit better animated and more fun overall.

Personally, I greatly preferred FMP/F before TSR, not so keen on the enevitable character direction TSR took.

Anyhoo...

Magikano
9/10

This show took me a bit by suprise, I was expecting the usual harem 'a'ight but not great' 13-odd ep series, I was mistaken. As with DearS, I was taken aback by this one. Tis extremely funny. Very, very funny. Thanks I am sure to some script changes and an all-star female dub voice cast.

One a side note, I LITERALLY imagined a show using an ending such as the one used here about two weeks before watching it. I am just that damn amazing.

Puni Puni Poemy
7/10

Urr...yeh... Excel Saga innit... Pretty much sums it up. I did not really enjoy the first episode, but the second I found to be quite amusing, strangely. This leads me to two possible conclusions: a) The second epsiode was better or b) You need to be in whatever state of mind I was in for the second episode over that of which I was in whilst watching the first. Note: There are only 2 episodes in this OVA, I watched them over two days.

Gravion
7/10

OMG POWER RANGERS! But...without the rangers bit...kinda. Basically Power Rangers but with the primary focus being on the Megazord (or 'Gravion') fights. To be honest, I would have given this show a 5 or maybe 6 due to its absolute crappy-ness, predictability and rather poor animation. BUT, it did have some rather nice artwork, some funny moments, me managing to take it as being so bad that its rather amusing, an ultimate dose of PR nostalgia and its major saving grace.... POWER music by JAM project (which includes Hironobu Kageyama (The guy that does loads of japanese DBZ music) as one fo its main vocalists).

So it's like Power Rangers without the martial arts bit and WITH japanese DBZ intro music... Thats a saving grace if I ever saw one right there...

The G-SIGNAL..........OMG-SHI!!!!

Now, if you will excuse me, i'm gonna go watch me some Power Rangers.

Ah! My Goddess: The Movie - 5/10

Almost intolerably sappy romance between two of the most intolerably bland characters in anime. So cheesy I expected to see "Sponsered by Edam" ads flashing up on screen at any moment. I can't believe I actually loved the Ah! My Goddess OVAs at one point, and don't dare to rewatch them lest I discover that nostalgia has betrayed me. Again.

What else do we have? A bad guy who wants to destroy the world because it's rotten (so he's not really bad), random dream sequences, and lots of magical technobabble. The usual anime fantasy bollocks, then. The soundtrack opts for overblown Disney-esque bombast over the more subtle, understated approach of the OVA score, and the animation is good if rarely spectacular. Urd and Skuld once again prove to be far more entertaining than the main couple, and they're the only reason I'm not rating this film lower.

megagold5 said:
Personally, I greatly preferred FMP/F before TSR, not so keen on the enevitable character direction TSR took.
There's always one, isn't there? Cuh!

For anyone now having second thoughts about watching TSR, bear in mind that megagold is not only someone who would watch Magikano in the first place, but someone who actually likes it. Be smart, kiddies.

:p

fabricatedlunatic said:
megagold5 said:
There's always one, isn't there? Cuh!

For anyone now having second thoughts about watching TSR, bear in mind that megagold is not only someone who would watch Magikano in the first place, but someone who actually likes it. Be smart, kiddies.

:p

Thems sounds like fightin' words! :twisted:

Also, TSR was very good, it's just character development like that always pisses me off. I was quite happy with them just continuing as they were. I own all three and TSR was the first show that I bought without seeing it first as FMP/F were so good. I am not against my purchase. :)

You should watch the the first TV series before watching its spin-off movie. That's just logical, innit? To watch the AMG movie first is like watching a Bleach/Naruto movie without watching either series beforehand. Fan service movies are fan service.

The first AMG TV series is very good. It follows the events of the OVA, was vastly superior art to the manga/OVA, some nice animation (for a rom-com) and full of life colours. The pacing is also far less rushed, and doesn't feature an 'anime only' ending.

Like I told you before - watch the TV series. It's too bad you never listen to me, and, as ever, opted out of the eBay link I sent you eons ago.

And like I told you before, I've read several volumes of the manga. And I've seen the OVA. I know the characters (what little there is to know about them), I know the setup, and the movie is the last of it I will ever watch. It's too light and fluffy.

The OVA will always be special to me. Even if I don't like it as much as I did when I first watched it, when it was the first pure romance to be released here and I was 14, it'll always have a place in my collection. The rest of it, however, can fark right orf!

I don't listen to what you tell me because you don't listen to what I tell you, Saya no Uta aside.

Meh, whatever. Do what you must. I didn't like the OVA very much and came close to rating the first TV series 9/10. I also only rated the movie 7/10 'cuz I like the TV series. But, in any event, you'd probably just rate it 6/10 if you did watch, so it's pointless expressing myself. -___-

No, going on your rating for the movie and your love of 6/10, you'd rate it 6/10. I looked at the stars.

You'll probably find some illogical way to rate Junkers Come Here 6/10, too, despite you having rated Whispers of the Heart 10/10. If my way is 'the way of the ****', your way is 'the pissing Aion off with my ratings on purpose' way.

I'm going to read Mars, or something. Bai.

First off yes everything I'm rating has a high score. That's because I happen to mostly only buy what I know I'll like at the moment but here goes my ratings on the most recent anime I've bought.

Berserk - 9/10
Loved it. At first I thought it was going to be bad as it starts with the demons then just stops and I wanted it to be like the manga but it has it's own fiction and for it's age it's a great anime.

Gurren Lagaan - 9.5/10
Not a fan of mecha usually as I only really like Eureka seven and GL but this made it fun to watch mecha! (not insulting mecha but it's not my taste). Loved the show and found it a mix of funny and cool and while I admit it has some slight flaws it tends to polish them off by catching you in the moment.

Death note 10/10
Became my favourite anime very quick. It has a very cool and dark mood but doesn't do it depressingly or over dramatically. The characters are great though and the whole story is very well done.

Afro samurai 8/10
Afro samurai resurrection 7.5/10
Good set of movies if you like over the top samurai fights within a world bent around warriors fighting to become the top dog (but in a strangely well done way).

Some may not consider it an anime but it was anime enough for me. It felt just like one, looked like one and had the charm of one with an interesting fantasy world.

Claymore 8/10
Claymore has a pretty cool fiction and cool combat. The focus on female characters is a nice change for the norm where women take a back seat in shonen. I feel it was a good series and only really dipped in the last volume (which was still good to say they had to end it so suddenly) but with 2 volumes per disc it's great value and one of my favourite anime this year. I am hooked with the Claymore manga which if you want the series to end quicker you should get the anime but if not get the manga.

Kekko Kamen - 8.5/10 :D

Insane. Brilliant. A satirical deconstruction of mainstream Hentai, or a naked woman beating people up in an amusing manner. Feel free to make your own judgement on that one. I did love how it was the lecherous men who were powerless against a naked woman for a change though. Well timed, occasional breaking of the fourth wall never fails to elicit a laugh from me as well. It never really gave any clues or speculated on Kekko's identity either. It just didn't matter.

Loved the little shot of Mazinger Z / Great Mazinger at the end as well. As Kekko Kamen leaves. In a hot air balloon which has just randomly appeared. While the narrator asks "Will she return? If the sales of this video are high enough, perhaps!"

This deserved so much more than four episodes.

Back