Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I've read some of the manga of Black Jack but I've never been sure which anime version to watch. I've seen the Black Jack movie which is worth watching, if you haven't seen it already since the team who made the OAV also made the movie.

I think there's about 3 series of Black Jack. The OAv, a series that lasted around 60+ episodes & Black Jack 21. I've heard that Black Jack 21 is meant to be the best of the bunch and that lasted about 17 episodes & also had a continuing storyline

It's a shame that none of the Black Jack series have had a decent dvd release.

For a long time, I assumed Black Jack was about cards or... well, a black guy called Jack. The title doesn't exactly tell you much about the story.

The manga art doesn't look very pleasing; it's too childish. I don't want to read the manga because I'm guessing the story will also have far more humour injected into it. A MAL reviewer described the difference between the OVA and original story as similar to the difference between the original Batman and Batman Begins. And if that's the case, I'm sticking with Batman Begins.

I've got both BJ movies downloaded and ready to go. I'll watch the one done by the same team as the OVA first, and then I'll give the newer flick a go. I don't know if I'll bother with the 61 episode series - like with the manga, I don't want to see a more childish take on what I rated 9/10.

The OVA was released in the US, with two box sets having been released, though they're now OOP.

Next up, I think I'll give Please Save My Earth a go.

I've seen the Black Jack movies at last year Tezuka's festival at the Barbican.
The best thing about them was how they kept "fresh", even though they had a decade or more to them. Surely the audio and video show its age, but still the quality of the material showed very soon and all the small things I was noticing about its age simply disapeared.

Can I suggest you to read Adolph? Possibly the most mature of the Tezuka's works and one of the most realistic as well.

^ I'll probably look into reading it at some point. Right now I'm not in manga mode; I haven't touched any for awhile.

Tales of Phantasia: 6/10

Not having played the game, I felt no connection to a clearly rushed version of a seemingly simplistic story, full of plot holes.

If it's that easy to jump through time, why not do a Terminator and try to erase the point of origin? That'd be what a smart person would do. On the other hand, jumping to the future to fight the same person isn't what a smart person would do.

The hero is your standard white knight, the 'girlfriend' is a plain as can be white mage who can talk to trees and there's little to no character development. There's just nothing beyond the nice visuals and fast pacing to make anyone not in love with the game care.

Golden Boy: 8/10

As perverse and silly as Golden Boy is, it's also excellent entertainment. Boobs and laughs - what more does a guy need to be happy? This OVA is close to being the ultimate anime for men looking for a fun ride. Time flew by as I watched the lead try to get close to different (and often very attractive) ladies, with humourous results. Being the perv I am, my favourite episode has to be the second; the one where the school girl teases the 'poor' lead.

I'm kind of glad it ended where it did, though. From what I've seen, the manga turns into a full-on hentai, with sex and all after the opening volume. And, from what I've read, it becomes disgusting, with bondage and piss drinking replacing the early comedy.

Hitsuji no Uta: 4-4.5/10

I'm rather fond of Lament of the Lamb; the original manga. Though the art is sketchy, it managed to convey the beauty of Chizuna, and it looked very nice. And, despite the sloooow pacing, I found the first four or five volumes to be absorbing; pulling me into its depressing world and making me see the world from the viewpoint of its hopeless characters. Before the final few volumes, I actually rated it 9/10, and I managed to read the first four or so volumes in one sitting; staying up to like 6 AM.

If only the OVA had been anywhere near as good...

The first thing wrong with this OVA is that it had no budget. It has to the cheapest anime production I've seen yet. Often, there wasn't even any animation for mouth movement, let alone anything else, and scenes just shown were often re-used straight away after. Not even the art looked nice, it having lost all the beauty of the manga, and Yageshi(sp?) appeared to have a head bigger than her other body parts, as if she was deformed.

I'm not joking when I say there are around two music tracks included, one sounding more like a combination of sound effects. It was made THAT cheaply.

To top it off, some of my favourite lines from the manga got cut. Kazuna never had a conversation about why he dreamed about biting the neck of his friend and how lust/love and violence are connected, and he never called Chizuna a "twisted woman" like in the manga. Also, the argument with his aunt was simplified.

So, in the end, even though it only lasted four episodes, it looked far worse than 100+ shounen titles. And, even though the needless content included in the manga got cut, too much of the good earlier dialogue got cut along with it. A very, very poor effort - so poor I'm unsure why it was even made.

Kikoushi Enma: 7/10

Lots of death, lots of blood (including demons 'exiting' from down there), some fan service, high production values and enough comedy to stop it ever being truly depressing. There's undeniably a lot of good contained within this fairly recent OVA offering.

The problem? There's little to no plot. Demons exploit the weakness of the human heart, using their dark side to possess them... which isn't very original. And, similar to in Kara no Kyoukai, there's a group of supernatural hunters that hunt the demons... That's pretty much all the story you're going to get, and there's no character development for Enma, none for Yuki and very little for the kappa.

But I was ok with that. The first two episodes had entertaining and twisted standalone stories, involving a father craving the body of his daughter and a 'doll' carrying out the dark desires of a depressed woman. I was really into it at that point....

...however, then came the final episodes. Random people, with no connection to each other, got trapped in a building with no exits, and one by one they were killed until only one remained. If that description sounds familar, it's because episodes three and four are a lot like Saw 2. There's some rather average CG used for zooming around corridors and supernatural goings on, but it's hard not to think of Saw 2 whilst watching. The main negative of these episodes are that they're slow and not as enjoyable as the first two. And, disappointingly, there's no real ending, with the ending to the final story not even making any sense.

It was fun to watch but it's difficult to recommend to anyone looking for depth.

Black Jack: The Movie - 5-5.5/10

I think the low-star Amazon ratings sum up my feelings for this film, so I'm not going to go on.

In short, the movie is like watching the worst of the OVA stretched to 90 minutes. It's incredibly dull, with no characters to relate to and only a silly story about super humans there to keep people interested. It even looks and sounds like the OVA; not movie quality at all.

I recommend people avoid this and watch the OVA instead.

Porco Rosso: 7-7.5/10

A movie about a flying pig, with a very simple and straight-forward story about bounty hunting and piracy. It's a trademark Miyazaki film, where pirates actually listen to attractive ladies when they have them surrounded on deserted islands; not thinking about anything naughty.

The film was ok. Not amazing, not bad and not quite average. 7.5/10 pretty much sums it up. There wasn't much in the way of plot, or character development (why did the lead turn into a pig!?), but the interactions between the characters, namely the pig and his younger sidekick, kept it interesting. The last setion was fun to watch, with a plane duel and a mini-boxing match.

Pom Poko: 6-6.5/10

Pom Poko is a film with a strong message and a hell of a lot of worthless content. The ending, where time was re-winded to show how the newly developed city looked before it'd been built, was powerful... but what came before wasn't.

For one thing, it was hard to take it seriously when raccoons were shown wearing clothes, using magic and attacking humans by blowing up their testicles and bombing them. Add onto that lack of realism a huge amount of buffer, which was required to extend the film to a needlessly lengthy two hours, and you have something of a failure. Worsening the problem, the story wasn't told from the viewpoint of any one character, making it hard to care about anything.

+1 for the message, -1 for the actual film

La Maison en Petits Cubes: 7.5-8/10

A 12 minute film, with no voice acting and unique art. It was a surprisingly enjoyable watch.

As you'd expect, nothing about the water-world setting was explained, but that didn't really damage it. As the old man went lower and lower, going down through the building he'd kept building on top of to survive, reliving old memories as he progressed further, it moved me. No words were said; all the director needed was pictures to tell his story, and he managed to express himself well.

...Still, the scenes from the old man's memory were hardly original, and there's only so much a 12 minute story can offer. I don't see what's so stunning about it, but I did like it.

How can guilt turn a man into an animal? That makes no sense whatsoever. Just like it made no sense how women wanted him; a pig.

How can Peter Mandelson keep gaining in political power? Same answer to both. We live in one ****ed up world!

Ghibli, fantasy, metaphor, raccoon dogs with inflatable testicles. It's a thing, just go with it. Maybe he turned into a pig cause the movie's named Porco Rosso. If it had been Vaca Blanco, he would have turned into a cow.

Just Passing Through said:
How can Peter Mandelson keep gaining in political power? Same answer to both. We live in one ****ed up world!

Ghibli, fantasy, metaphor, raccoon dogs with inflatable testicles. It's a thing, just go with it. Maybe he turned into a pig cause the movie's named Porco Rosso. If it had been Vaca Blanco, he would have turned into a cow.

I have no problem with part of a story being silly in terms of the real world, as long as it's explained. Like in Beauty and the Beast, where it's explained that a selfish prince was turned into a beast to reflect his cold personality by a witch after she tested him - I accepted it.

The way you answered my message, it read like you were saying "It was clearly highlighted in the film that, after a near death experience where the lead alone survived, he turned into a pig. He did nothing wrong, yet he turned into a random animal. How clear do you want it to be!? The exact same thing could happen to anyone."

The pig telling a story, where he was lucky to survive being killed and came across some weird plane 'road to heaven', didn't give any reason for him to turn into a pig. Again, he did nothing worthy of punishment by the Gods, and humans can't turn themselves into ******* farm animals.

If him transforming into a pig was supposed to symbolize something, I certainly didn't get it. I don't really care, either, because it wasn't an amazing film; it was a watch and forget type of movie that's enjoyable to watch once. It wasn't the type to have any deep meanings.

When Miyazaki's directing his films aimed at five year olds, the stories rarely make sense, or have substance. Ponyo, his latest film, had so many plot holes it's a wonder it didn't leak.

I had no problem with it being a metaphor for survivor's guilt and the self loathing that comes with it. It wasn't punishment by the Gods, it was punishment by himself. The implication at the end of the film is that he gets over it. I guess this must be one of those YMMV things, for me it was clearly highlighted. Maybe you didn't see it, maybe I'm reading something into it that isn't really there. Who cares. Whatever works yeah?

Well, I wasn't really paying a lot of attention, honestly. While not as kiddy as some of Miyazaki's other films, it had a definite kiddy vibe about it, so I wasn't focused. I just viewed it as decent entertainment, and that's all it was, really.

I did realize his story connected to his pig form, his story being in response to a direct question about his looks, and the way he kept expressing his desire to stand alone did tie-in to that. It's just, I didn't judge him to have done anything worthy of looking like and being called a pig, and I associate loniness/walking alone with wolves, if any animal, because of the whole 'lone wolf' thing and the myth that they prefer to die alone, being proud animals. If he looked like a wolf, it would've clicked. (And he would've looked a hell of a lot cooler!)

I only have a few more Ghibli films to go: Cat Returns (kiddy 'Whisper of the Heart' spin-off), The Yamadas (the most weird looking Ghibli title)... and that's it, apart from shorts.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - 8/10

Note: There are some spoilers included since I express my feelings about certain parts of the plot. Ye be warned!

During the first half, I had a smile on my face whilst watching this film. I didn't get the terms thrown around by the Zentradi at first, but that didn't matter; the interactions between the characters made me smile too much for me to care. When Hikaru was trapped with Minmay for three days, I found it very cute how, after being questioned about her actions during a love scene in a movie of hers, she acted the scene out just for Hikaru, kissing him. I also found the scenes that followed shortly after, with the two hanging around the 'town' and playing with a costume machine to be excellent. I cared for them, and their relationship.

What also amused me in the early part of the film were the aliens reactions to hugging and kissing. There was plenty of humour to be had, such as when Hikaru forcefully kissed Hayase to stun a group of Zentradi and buy time. I laughed when she slapped him afterwards.

...Sadly, the second half started rushing things. Hikaru and Hayase - the third part of the love triangle - were supposed to have spent a month getting to know each other on earth. Before that, their relationship had been a stiff, superior>subordinate relationship, with Hayase being a bit of bitch towards Hikaru. But, following around 10-20 minutes movie time, they were close. This might've worked out well in the longer TV series, but it didn't in the movie.

The end really let the movie down for me. Hikaru showed himself to be a dick with poor taste, fickle enough to change his feelings with little time, and the cheesiness of the final battle came close to ruining what had been a great film. I mean, really, a love song only a teenage girl could love ending a war; uniting everyone with ease? How the hell could they even hear the song in space, with a huge three-way battle going on? :|

(On a semi-related note, whether because of the art or otherwise, Hayase looked too old for Hikaru. She also acted like I'd expect a late 20's woman to. Am I imaging things or is she an older woman?)

In short, it seemed too rushed in places, I didn't understand why the Zentradi/Meltradi(w/e) were even fighting the humans when involved in a war between themselves and the singing cheesiness at the end let the film down. If it had ended better, and Hikaru hadn't acted like (as Americans would put it) a douche, blowing hot and cold, then I'd have given it 9/10.

As it stands....

Macross Zero > Macross Plus > Macross: Do You Remember Love?

I'm thinking of giving the original Macross another go after this, now that I care about the characters and can look beyond the awful looking art. Would it be worth the effort, or should I just stick with the movie version?

Aion said:
Macross: Do You Remember Love? - 8/10

Note: There are some spoilers included since I express my feelings about certain parts of the plot. Ye be warned!

.... < Loads of text I've skipped for the spoilers then: >

Actually this sentence is all I need to know. At some point I might give it a try, considering how loved it is, I believe it's at least worth a watch.

School Rumble Ni Gakki (2nd Term) Complete
Yet another awesome series. Crazier than the first Term and the humour was potent throughout. Flew threw the series in no time. Question on my mind now is "How will it all end". I'll have to wait for the final OVA to find out. I gave the series an 8 because I thought the story was entetaining, and the humour was genius in places. It sadly far too rare to find myself laughing so hard at a comedy. Rib shattering.
If I had to put some form of disaproval in this rating it would have to be Tenma. Damn she is so stupid that it pissed me off at times. DX But that's my only critic. ^^
8/10

Spice & Wolf (Series 1,2 & OVA) Complete
I feel almost blessed to have been one of the lucky ones to have seen this series so far. I found the anime very relaxing and entertaining at the same time. I never once got bored. It had a very Ghibli feel about it. I'm a pritty big Ghibli fan so this really ticked the boxes for me. Any other fans out there should watch this also. Same goes for fans of Mushishi, I think I got the same relaxed feeling whilest watching that.
Anyway, yeah. Awesome series, pritty straight fwd story line, blossoming romance with girl with Wolf ears and a tail. I don't think there's anything to complain about. I'm just fustrated now that there isn't more to watch. XD I've given this an 8 but it was close to a 9. I enjoyed it that much.
8/10

Outlaw Star 7/10

I though it was a good show with a wide varity of characters however it just dosen't stand up against Cowboy Bebop in my opinion of course.

Eureka 7

Just recently completed this series. Got the full set of dvds at the expo and watched the first 2 volumes a few days after. It took me awhile to get to watching it again but then i decided a few days ago that i would watch a little bit more starting from episode 11.

What can i say about episode 11? It was certainly the turning point for me as it grabbed my attention out of nowhere. The first 10 episodes were slow and not so exciting (and those 3 kids just annoy the hell out of me lol) but after watching the 11th episode it all turned on its head. From then on i spent the last few days going through the volumes and finally completed it tonight!

I can see why alot of people who have watched Eureka 7 have rated it so highly. The animation was great aswell as fluid, the OST was also very good (cant say much about the last 3 OPs though!), but the story was certainly the main selling point of the series. Whilst in a way it was romance/mecha series, what made it more special than alot of the anime out there was how real the relationship between Eureka and Renton was. They may have been young kids at first, but i don't recall many series reflecting a growth like what theirs was right up to the last episode.

They had their difficult and good moments, but it was interesting to see that they grew stronger through it because of the those moments. It was interesting to see how Eureka starts to learn how "human emotions" really are and how Renton finally makes a leap from a whiny little kid to a respectable adult. That was the main plus point of the story so far.

All the other characters like Tolho, Holland and the Gekkostate crew also were developed really well. But it was also good to see how they developed both Anemone and Dominic to the end.

All in all, this is a series i would highly recommend to those who havent watched it or were planning to watch. 50 episodes might sound steep but i do reckon that it was long enough to develop the story along a good nice pace.

I can only really rate this a series a 10 out of 10 at the end.

Aion said:

I'm thinking of giving the original Macross another go after this, now that I care about the characters and can look beyond the awful looking art. Would it be worth the effort, or should I just stick with the movie version?

Actually Aion i wouldn't bother too much, sure the Misa x Hikaru is fleshed out a lot more but he flips between her and Minmay more or less every episode towards the finale. Although to be fair i think that was a consquence of the series having extra eps added at the end to lengthen it.

Plus i read somewhere that Misa was only supposed to be about 22 (ironically enough they made minmay older in the movie version as she's only near enough 16 when the series starts)

hmmm since you rate Macross Zero above Plus i may have to check that out

chaos said:
Actually this sentence is all I need to know. At some point I might give it a try, considering how loved it is, I believe it's at least worth a watch.

Always a pleasure to help a jed...

Err, I'm glad I helped. It's worth watching, yeah - it's one of the better movies I've watched, for sure. If you can ignore some rushing and a silly ending, then you'll more than likely score it higher than me. I think 8-8.5/10 is fair, though.

Black said:
Actually Aion i wouldn't bother too much, sure the Misa x Hikaru is fleshed out a lot more but he flips between her and Minmay more or less every episode towards the finale. Although to be fair i think that was a consquence of the series having extra eps added at the end to lengthen it.

Plus i read somewhere that Misa was only supposed to be about 22 (ironically enough they made minmay older in the movie version as she's only near enough 16 when the series starts)

hmmm since you rate Macross Zero above Plus i may have to check that out

Well, there goes my motivation. :p I'd want to beat Hikaru with a dildo if he messed Minmay around for longer, still ending up still making the wrong choice to top it off. I doubt it'd be worth enduring the art for an ending like that...

I think I'm an exception when it comes to Zero. Most seem to like Plus more. I think part of it's down to nostalgia, a lot of people having seen Plus when they were younger. Kanno's music helps the love fest, too.

For me, Plus was a little too slow to get top marks, and the A.I. aspect wasn't explained. The irony is I watched the movie version and thought it was too short, rating it 7/10!

Zero's a must watch in HD, btw. I think the fact the greens and blues looked lovely, the detail and the amazing CG aerial duels are a big part of why I rated it 10/10, moving it into my top five. If you care, I have a short (for me) review out there, somewhere.

----

Not watched much since my last post - I've been lazy.

I'll keep this short:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 9/10. One of the best action movies I've seen, up there with the Cowboy Bebop flick and Sword of the Stranger. It looked great, it flowed well, it had a decent story for one involving vampires, has an excellent dub and can be picked up new for a fiver. Go get it.

Code Geass box 1
9/10
Didnt think i would like this series.
It has everything!
It has likeable characters, plot twists, mecha battles and a girl who plays with herself on a table!

My-HiME: 8/10

My-HiME fits the description of 'beautiful trainwreck' better than any other anime I've watched. It starts out as a high school slice-of-life series, with a lot of ecchi humour, even the 'monster of the week' battles providing far more in the way of amusement (a panty/bra stealing creature, for example) than danger. Then, in the last twelve episodes or so, the drama side gets going, which results in it turning into a less gruesome version of Battle Royale, with robots added on top. The two differing sections of the story do end up blending well together - the first part providing time for viewers to become attached to the characters - but it was certainly strange to see a light-hearted anime take such a dark turn...

If nothing else, you have to praise the visual and audio aspects of the series. It has lovely art and very good animation, the character designs (the faces, short skirts, big breasts and super model female cast) and bright colours unsurprisingly reminding me of Code Geass. The soundtrack is mostly stellar, too, with the music Goddess known as Yuki Kajiura pulling out one of her overall weaker (compared to her best work) but by no means poor collections of music. Even the English voice acting impressed me, Mai's voice fitting her fiery yet loveable and cute personality like a glove... However, where My-HiME falls short, and what makes me class it as a trainwreck, is its story.

Put simply, the story is about a group of twelve girls and their loved ones. Each of the twelve girls (referred to as 'HiME') has a different power, some being elemental and others being the ability to use weapons, and each can summon a mecha/monster (referred to as a 'Child' if it obeys a human and an 'Orphan' if it doesn't) to fight with them. Mai, the female lead, moves to the prestigious Fuka Academy (which accommodates elementary-high school ages, and has dormitories for both genders), along with her younger brother at the start, and there she meets and interacts with the other girls with powers and her new classmates.

Sadly, there isn't much actual plot covered in the 26 episodes. The first half focuses heavily on characterization, fan service and comical goings on. The second half focuses on characterization and battles, each battle resulting in a new death. In between all of this, not a lot beyond the basic premise of the story gets a look in. This resulted in very little of the plot making sense, and the final episode was a failure (partly) because of this.

Why were the 'Child' and 'Orphan' creatures in existence? How could they be summoned by certain people? What was the character reminiscent of Kaoru from Evangelion (Naji)? Why did the HiME ritual occur every 300 years?

None of the above questions, or numerous others I have, receive answers within the series. When the final episode rolled around and the world was saved from destruction in predictable fashion, I was left with a blank expression on my face, left reflecting on the many questions without answers, left only with disappointment in the place of the answers I desired.

Apart from its production values, what saved My-HiME, for me at least, was the quality of its characterization. Over the course of the series, you learn all about Mai. Her relationship with her brother is explored and plays a major role, and as a result of an involving love quadruple I came to care about her as a person, as well as her likeable main love interest. And, though the other cast members didn't get anywhere near as much time because of the amount of them - the number reminding me of Negima's never-ending character list to begin with - enough of the personalities and back-stories of those that mattered got covered for me to become emotionally involved with many of them. The characters laughed and cried, and I was able to feel their emotions; never feeling disconnected.

But, switching back to the story, the final episode almost ruined the good that came before. If you're the sort of person that cringes when you see deus ex machina, your face won't be a pretty sight after finishing the anime because it's practically non-stop deus ex machina in the last episode. Without wanting to spoil too much, what happened at the end of My-HiME is equivalent to every emotional, heart-wrenching moment of a story being made worthless, destroying any attachment one has to the many moving scenes included. Even though I enjoyed what came before immensely, I felt like time slowed down at the end - it was a sad way to end such an absorbing title.

To sum it up, Sunrise know how to please anime fans; men/otaku in particular. They keep the skirts high, the chests large, the comedy amusing and are masters at pulling away at the heart strings of viewers with dramatic action, or just plain old fashioned drama. They know how to make up for what would normally by anime ruining flaws. If not for the poor excuse of a story and even worse attempt at an ending, if only for enjoyment alone, I'd be rating it higher, but it wasn't to be. Instead, I'll give it a solid 8/10, thinking of it as something of a guilty pleasure.

Back