Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Nice review, Aion, I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

Would you not agree you could see the final episode as a massive punchline to the second half of the series? So, the whole series is actually a light-hearted jokey series like the first few episodes set it up to be, it's just that the second half of the series only has one joke.

Hey, cheers for the comment, person I attacked the other week when in PMS mode. I'm glad I enjoyed it, too, considering I collected the series on DVD, filling up my paper-thin 'art box', mainly via SS orders. I enjoyed it, along with Midori Days, very much. It's nice; watching silly anime every now and then.

From my perspective, the first half was only the set-up for the far darker, more serious last stretch. It did its job - selling it to those not looking to be depressed and making the viewers (or me, at least) care. I didn't view the series in a deadly serious manner - if I did, I'd go on a Code Geass R2 style rant - but I still didn't end the series thinking its early light-hearted nature excused what happened at the end.

The most cowardly excuse for story-telling is when an author kills off characters and later revives them, not wanting to piss off the fanbase, not explaining exactly how it happened. It's acceptable in the likes of Bleach and Naruto, but not in a character drama like My-HiME. Because of the tone of the last section of the story, the ending is comparable to Battle Royale ending and the main characters then being told everyone got a med evac. Even Nao's eye was magically healed.

...But, like I said, I don't dislike My-HiME. I just started Please Teacher! and, compared to My-HiME, its blank characters and hentai premise make it look awful in comparison. It's one of the better anime I've seen, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aion said:
I didn't view the series in a deadly serious manner - if I did, I'd go on a Code Geass R2 style rant -
Hah, that's fair enough. :D

I think I was thinking along the same lines at first, that it was a bit of a "disingenuous" ending, but I have come to appreciate more as time has gone on.

I'm not convinced you'd enjoy Mai-Otome as much, but I would say you should still give it a go.

Gurren Lagann vol. 2
10/10
This anime NEVER bores me
Cannot wait for volume 3

'Im not my bro. I'm ME!! Simon THE DIGGER!!! Finishing move! GIGA DRILL BREAK!

Shigurui: Death Frenzy - 8/10

In the first episode we see two swordsmen facing off. One is blind; the other has only one arm. The subsequent 11 episodes tell the story of how the two men reached that point. They're supposed to, anyway, but the show ends rather abruptly and unless the viewer reads the manga, they have to fill in some gaps for themselves.

This is one of the most violent shows I've ever seen, with every act of brutality lovingly captured and dwelled upon for what seems like an eternity. The cinematography is amazing and that, more than anything else, is what kept me watching this thoroughly grim story. There really is nothing quite like it (the closest is probably Texhnolyze, which shares the same director).

Angel's Egg - 2/10 it's boring, makes no sense, it made me sleep. It only gets a 2, because it looks so pretty...

Summer wars - 10/10 - Amazing animation, good leads, but amazing support characters. It's OTT when it needs to be, it's serious if the situation require. The music fits right into it.
The plot, while not necessarily the most original work around, is surprisingly gripping. This is a classic and I like this even more than I liked TGWLTT. A must-see.

The tower of Druaga - Sword of Uruk - 7/10. Good fantasy series, great animation as one would expect from Gonzo, but the characters were too generic to get me ivolved with them. There was a little development, but besides King Gilgamesh and Kaaya, the other characters were over-simplistic. The first series is more enjoyable, I think .

Shadow Star - 8/10 - Dark and depressing anime. It's animation show signs of age, but still looks pretty good. Characters change a lot as the series go by and some of the themes involves lesbian rape and incestual abuse. The music is also amazing, but the opening theme is too "happy" for this anime.
The first few eps are terribly misleading.

Chrono Crusade/Specials
7/10, 5/10

About what I expected really. It did get a little convoluted towards the end, but was mostly quite predictable I though. The actual final section though sucked major ****, it reminded me alot of the ending to Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS team (although that was kinda happier...). So yeh... rather churchy, odd and...ummm...oh yeah... Quickest main villain death EVAR, I blinked and nearly missed it...(that whole section made NO sense). The Azmaria's Lessons specials were pretty crud to be honest, far too much information coming at me in such a short space of time, my inferior mind could not handle it.

Dead Leaves
7/10

That was some craaaaazy shizzle right there... The most western-looking, yet abstract-japanese looking anime I think I have seen to date. It was quite funny throughout, with some rather good dub voice acting. My only gripes are some of the animation got rather nasty-ish and the ending was really rather odd. I kinda felt that they made the bulk of the show and then added in the looming story elements afterwards.

Ranma ½
7/10

I never knew so many episodes could be milked out of a show that really didn't ever get anywhere...ever (Then again, same author as Inuyasha I believe ¬.¬). I have watched this show series by series over the past year and a bit, which I feel was definitely the best choice otherwise I might have even given up on it. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked the show, but the sheer amount of episodes that were basically devoted to one of 5 or 6 storylines played out in slightly different ways brought it down a bit for me. Another problem was the use of characters. Particularly the blatently obvious fact that some characters are never gonna get what they are portrayed to desire. Also, I did not like how Shampoo was often used over Ukyo (whom sometimes didn't even make it into the intro video for the series). Imo, Ukyo is the best choice there. :p

Now, good points were the other episodes. More often towards the latter series, episodes that had creative and original stories did creep in here and there. These ranged from pretty meh, to normally being really very good. It was these episodes that kept the show alive for me. Some of them being quite funny indeed.

I have also seen two of the films, one of which 'Nihao my Concubine' I rated with a 9, although it was a good few months ago that I saw it now, so I shant go into it.

I intend to watch the various OVAs and the such like soon, with the hopes of at least SOME main story development, although I have my doubts.... :/

Full Metal Panic 6/10
So I decided to give FMP a proper watch after pretty much giving up on in the first time and rating it my worst anime. Actually, after sitting down and watching it properly, with an open mind, I quite enjoyed it this time. It's certainly not the worst but no where near the best. It's a fairly entertaining show but I'd say it's certainly aimed more at the younger anime audience. At times it's just that little bit too ditzy for me & the action scenes just lack something. It's a mecha anime but the parts I enjoyed, didn't involve mecha whatsoever. The non-action, light hearted side of the story is the high point of the series. One thing's for sure, it's left me unsure as to whether I should carry on with the other two series.

Yuvie said:
Full Metal Panic 6/10
So I decided to give FMP a proper watch after pretty much giving up on in the first time and rating it my worst anime. Actually, after sitting down and watching it properly, with an open mind, I quite enjoyed it this time. It's certainly not the worst but no where near the best. It's a fairly entertaining show but I'd say it's certainly aimed more at the younger anime audience. At times it's just that little bit too ditzy for me & the action scenes just lack something. It's a mecha anime but the parts I enjoyed, didn't involve mecha whatsoever. The non-action, light hearted side of the story is the high point of the series. One thing's for sure, it's left me unsure as to whether I should carry on with the other two series.

I think from the sounds of it you would like Fumoffu a lot, as that's soley the high school comedy with no mech action what so ever

The Second Raid however is heavily focused on mecha with only a smiden of comedy breaking it up

Yeah, you should definitely watch Fumoffu. And though I don't really like the first series, I love The Second Raid. It's a much darker and more adult show, and the characters get some excellent development.

If anything, do as both the other said, watch FUMOFFU. In terms of what to expect, its basically only the comedy side of the story, and it only covers a minority of the side-story material available. As for TSR, i recommend watching that regardless of how you viewed the first season, in terms of quality, everything is far far better, from character development, to action. I only have one real problem with the season, but thats only because i read the novels.

The girl who leapt though time:
*That bit in every Mamrou Hosuda film where chracter's look uncomfortable and thier eyes shift a lot*

So, yeah, I enjoyed it.

Sword of the stranger
6/10
Boring as a motha f****r. You have to wait for the end for the action to happen and theres hardly any action at the end anyway. A huge dissapointment!

Nyani said:
Yuvie said:
It's a fairly entertaining show but I'd say it's certainly aimed more at the younger anime audience.

Or maybe at females. :p As I'm 26 and I enjoy all the FMP stuff. :p

The anime dims it down a fair bit. for those that saw TSR The assassins(who KyoAni made female, when they are actually men) die a tad differently. The older of the twins gets blown to pieces, and only his head is shown to the other twin, not the full body. Also in terms of the storyline, it only gets darker as it progresses past that of TSR. A Dancing Very Merry Christmas is probably the last light hearted main novel before it goes full out serious. So, anime? perhaps a little, but for the entirety of it all, its aimed at older teen.

sanji no 1 said:
Sword of the stranger
6/10
Boring as a motha f****r. You have to wait for the end for the action to happen and theres hardly any action at the end anyway. A huge dissapointment!
Yeah, but the fight at the end solos like half of the fight scenes I've seen in other samurai/ninja movies, prove me wrong.

Judging from most comments regarding Full Metal Panic, I'll probably give the other two series a go. It's interesting that FUMOFFU focuses only on the light hearted side.

The first series could have done with some darker elements especially during the action scenes, so I'll probably also check out the Second Raid too.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Yuvie said:
Judging from most comments regarding Full Metal Panic, I'll probably give the other two series a go. It's interesting that FUMOFFU focuses only on the light hearted side.

The first series could have done with some darker elements especially during the action scenes, so I'll probably also check out the Second Raid too.

Thanks for the feedback all!

I dunno, I thought the whole thing with the boy and that organization was a bit dark. (I'm trying to be vague to not spoiler :p).

Heh, I guess some would see it as dark.

When I think dark, I'm thinking more along the lines of Texhnolyze or something similar to that.

It sounds like a great idea, splitting FUMOFFU & Second Raid up like they have. I'll be checking them out for sure.

Back