Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

ayase said:
Kekko Kamen - 8.5/10 :D

Insane. Brilliant. A satirical deconstruction of mainstream Hentai, or a naked woman beating people up in an amusing manner. Feel free to make your own judgement on that one. I did love how it was the lecherous men who were powerless against a naked woman for a change though. Well timed, occasional breaking of the fourth wall never fails to elicit a laugh from me as well. It never really gave any clues or speculated on Kekko's identity either. It just didn't matter.

Loved the little shot of Mazinger Z / Great Mazinger at the end as well. As Kekko Kamen leaves. In a hot air balloon which has just randomly appeared. While the narrator asks "Will she return? If the sales of this video are high enough, perhaps!"

This deserved so much more than four episodes.

Damn straight!

Dragonball z season 4
8/10

Dragonball z season 5
8.5/10

Dragonball z season 6
9/10

Well thats the Cell saga finished. The Cell saga was better than expected, But it is still my least favourite saga of DBZ.

Next up: THE BUU SAGA!!!!!!!!

sanji no 1 said:
Dragonball z season 4
8/10

Dragonball z season 5
8.5/10

Dragonball z season 6
9/10

Well thats the Cell saga finished. The Cell saga was better than expected, But it is still my least favourite saga of DBZ.

Next up: THE BUU SAGA!!!!!!!!

First ya got the best bit, Gt.Saiyaman!

Claymore vol. 5 & 6
8.5/10
Was very good just didnt like the ending much.

Well I finished Claymore. I thought i woudent like it but i was very surprised. It was actually pretty damn good!

Good things
Its an action heavy anime with a good story.
All the claymores had there own abilities and personalitys.

bad things
Some fights did slighty drag on a bit.
Claire didnt kill presilla. Which kinda sucked!

All in all it was a great watch. Definately one of the best anime i've seen this year.

sanji no 1 said:
Claymore vol. 5 & 6
8.5/10
Was very good just didnt like the ending much.

Well I finished Claymore. I thought i woudent like it but i was very surprised. It was actually pretty damn good!

Good things
Its an action heavy anime with a good story.
All the claymores had there own abilities and personalitys.

bad things
Some fights did slighty drag on a bit.
Claire didnt kill presilla. Which kinda sucked!

All in all it was a great watch. Definately one of the best anime i've seen this year.

Sounds like someone needs to read the manga. :D

Volume 6 is where the manga and anime go their seperate ways. I'll say no more on it though.

Kurau: Phantom Memory - 8/10

I posted some thoughts on this series in the "watching" thread, so I won't repeat myself. Kurau is a remarkably consistent series from start to finish, both in terms on Bones' usual high quality visuals, and the theme of relationships, which remains strong all the way through to the somewhat bittersweet ending. But unlike some melodramatic anime (something I usually run a mile from), the emotional scenes in Kurau never feel forced; the writing makes me care about the characters and their interactions always come across as natural. Yet the show never really blew me away at any point and the story took an eye-rolling turn towards the end, then kind of fizzled out. Nevertheless, I think Kurau is pretty damn great.

Once more unto the breach!

Samurai 7 - 7/10

After one aborted effort I finally sat down and watched this very Gonzo-esque adaptation of Kurasawa's famous film (which I've yet to see). And once I'd slogged my way through those early episodes, I found this to be a remarkably easy watch. The story is a straightforward as it gets: a village sends a small convoy (including a cute water priestess and her bratty sister; this being anime, I wouldn't be surprised if these characters didn't exist in the original) to hire samurai to defend the village from bandits. They hire seven of them. And that's about it. There's a few twists and turns, but everything plays out as you'd expect it to.

But though I enjoyed Samurai 7, the whole thing was faintly ridiculous. Here is a show in which samurai cut giant robots into pieces with swords. Then there's the standard anime humour and stock characters and you have something far less inspiring than the same studio's Gankustuou.

Three in a row!

Darker Than Black + OVA 8/10

Because I enjoyed this show so much I considered rating it 9, but owing to a couple of relatively weaker stories and an ending that leaves much unexplained, I thought 8 was fair.

Darker Than Black has an adult tone, interesting characters (particularly the chameleon-like Hei), entertaining stories, and a good sense of humour. Somehow it doesn't quite reach its potential, but it's certainly a lot better than most recent anime and something I can see myself rewatching.

Utawarerumono 7/10
Overall, this was a pretty solid show. I think I enjoyed the non-action parts of the show a lot more as the action scenes just got a little bit repetitive at times. But, if war animes is your thing then this is probably one for you, though it doesn't feel like a very adult show. For me, the later part of the series was a little bit underwhelming. A fairly solid ending but nothing special. It did, at least, bring a proper closure to the series.

Claymore 8/10
Yep, another one of those animes that make you wanna continue reading the manga, though after the end of the series, I really wanted it to carry on. Sanji no 1 pretty much sums it up as far as short reviews are concerned. Good action, a decent storyline and a series that remained enjoyable to watch throughout, without having to use your noddle too much.

Rahxephon 8/10
Another enjoyable series. Obviously this series always gets compared to Neon Genesis, personally, I prefer Rahxephon. It's not as action packed but the story kinda weaves it's way in and although the early episodes may seem boring to some, if you stick to it, it's quite rewarding in the end.

Rahxephon: The motion picture 6/10
It's not a bad movie but when compared to the series, it was obviously always gonna be inferior. Maybe it's one for people who just don't like putting their time into series.

Yuvie said:
But, if war animes

THERE IS NO 'S'!!!!

With anime, it's always anime, whether you're referring to one or 100 anime.

I've lost my respect for you.

For me, the later part of the series was a little bit underwhelming.

Correct. You get the usual anime 'If we don't know what to write, go weird/****** up - that'll please otaku!' ****. It went from a decent Suikoden-esque war story to Godzilla.

Yep, another one of those animes

STOP ADDING ******* 'S' TO THE END, YOU BLEACH FILLER BASTARD!!!

that make you wanna continue reading the manga

It does, yes, but know this: the manga turns into a straight-up, 'fight-fight-fight' shounen after the events of episode 24. Clare power-ups up after a timeskip, somehow being able to hold her own against the elite of Claymore... just because she trained like she did before the story got going. It gets old.

Rahxephon 8/10
obviously this series always gets compared to Neon Genesis, personally, I prefer Rahxephon.

In b4 Geek... oh, wait, he hasn't watched Rah!

When I first watched this, I on-holded it and, years later, could remember **** all. When I later finished it, I didn't understand the ending (iirc) but liked the idea of... love defeating the passing of time? I don't know. But now that it's been awhile, I can't remember much about Rah, again. I hate my brain.

Rahxephon: The motion picture 6/10.

The only good thing about this was the few shots of the main two when they were at school. Now that I think about it, I can't remember too much about their circumstances... I think time stopped for the male lead but didn't for the female? It's been awhile.

IKE, I have committed the ultimate anime sin, it would seem. My ignorant act is unforgivable, especially to such a hardcore fan as yourself. I have truly had a dull moment.

It is only right that my punishment is severe, and it is only fitting that someone would lose their respect for me. Respect is hard to gain but easier to lose, that will be my punishment.

Consider me educated. I can only use an excuse that I heard earlier in the day from someone. I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Onto the series you commented on, Utawarerumono did become a little silly and over the top, even in the realms of anime. It just didn't feel right. I was expecting something completely different to that but ah well.

I can't keep adding another manga to my list, I get the impression that Claymore will probably become a fight, fight, fight manga and that's really just a waste of money. The series does make me want to see where the characters go from there but I guess I won't be rushing out to get the manga, from what I've heard as well from others.

That's the brain for you, I have a hard job remembering something I watched from last month sometimes. Rah probably wasn't that important to you. It's a very solid series but for me, it might best be one to forget about and watch again years later.

Time didn't exactly stop, from my understanding, they eventually lived in what could best be described as different time zones so the female lead was much older even though to start with they were of the same age. You don't see that often in an anime, a romantic connection between a younger male lead and an older female. This was also apparent in the series, not just the motion picture.

As I said, the motion picture is probably fine for those who haven't seen the series or don't want to sit through the series but that's about it. If you watch the series, then the movie. Then it feels pretty poor. Obviously because they miss out so many 'important' plotlines.

Great Teacher Onizuka: 8/10

When the source material is as high quality as the GTO manga, not a lot needs to be done to transform it into a 10/10 anime: just add motion, colour and sound - without doing a poor job - and you can't go wrong. But, in the world of anime, there exists Studio Pierrot, and if there's one thing they're good at it's lowering the score (compared to the original manga) by a point or two by using as little money as possible and adding horrible filler.

True to form, what bothered me most about GTO was the awful cosplay filler inserted in the early episodes (Onizuka dressing in a monkey costume during a serious part of the manga) to make a few episodes last long enough and, later on, some pure filler episodes/new stories added to meet the required episode count. In fairness, the full-on filler episodes were few and far between - even most during the 21-27 'filler zone' covering some manga content - but those episodes still made me lower the rating of the adaptation of my only 10/10 manga to 7/10 at one stage.

Thankfully, the filler section passed and once the anime reached the lead-up to the school trip arc - the 1st/2nd best part of GTO - there was no looking back. Pierrot remained faithful to the source material, and that was enough to make a huge GTO fan like me happy. I got to see one of the best bits of GTO with *some* animation and very fitting/excellent voice acting - how could it not please me?

The ending was as poor as expected, 'finishing' the GTO story in two rushed 'original story' episodes. Onizuka ended up teaching in America; leaving everyone behind. It was even more disappointing than the open-ended ending of the manga. But I didn't really care; I'd already got what I wanted with the manga content that was covered, and I now have the perfect voices for Onizuka and Urumi stored in my head for when I re-read the manga.

If the anime had been made when 25 instead of 13 volumes had been released, it would've got a 9-10/10 score from me - Pierrot or not. However, as it stands, with the best arc left out and character development left unfinished, I can only award the decent adaptation I just finished watching, which often had poor art (during the filler episodes in particular) 8/10.

Edit: Also, Urumi <3...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlf-ZAQv3io&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlf-ZAQv3io&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

No love for the music? I always thought the soundtrack for GTO was particularly strong. It's one of the few series where I actually wanted to listen to the incidental music again as opposed to just the theme tunes.

GTO had something in the range of seven tracks repeated throughout, with some edited/rearranged versions. I didn't mind the music - it fitted well enough - but it didn't do a lot for the anime. In terms of SP titles, Bleach, Get Backers and Naruto all have stronger soundtracks.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne - 6/10

I'm not sure whether Mnemosyne wants to be the kind of violent, sleazy OVA series that were common in the 1980s and early 90s, or an intelligent and sophisticated thriller. In the end it does neither convincingly, and feels a bit half-baked. Some mild spoilers ahead.

Mnemosyne is the story of two immortal women--the elegant Rin and the loli Mimi--who run some kind of private dectective agency. In each of the first five episodes they become embroiled in a dangerous case, all of which have some connection to the overall plot. That comes to a rather hasty conclusion in the sixth and final episode, leaving me confused with a convoluted infodump in the last ten minutes. The series main twist, and it's an interesting one, is that it takes place over a long period of time, so we see the characters' world visibly change, while supporting characters age, bear children, and pass away.

Aside from the ending, I quite enjoyed the show, although some of the plots were needlessly complicated and I found the much-vaunted sexual content to be rather tame. Most of it seemed to be there for the sake of it, and it was never depicted frankly; it was all abstract angles, pulled punches. There's quite a lot of violence and some torture (if you've seen 3x3 Eyes, you'll have a good idea of how the show's writers treat their immortals) but, again, it hardly ever felt shocking to me--clearly I've been desensitized by the likes of Violence Jack and Urotsukidoji.

A bit of a missed opportunity, then.

Hah, you, who was surprised at me saying that Kiss x Sis needed to be raunchier, is now telling me that Mnemosyne doesn't take things far enough! :p

What does the DVD cover feel like, btw?

You know, maybe it's because of the cute character designs or something, but I actually think that Kiss x Sis is raunchier than Mnemosyne. There was certainly nothing that gave me a O_O expression like the karaoke booth scene.

The cover has this smooth, soft texture and I can't really think of anything to compare it with. You'll just have to buy a copy and fondle it yourself =D

Back