Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

lol, my plan exactly. ^^; I only double dip for fetish DVD covers these days!

But yeah, I thought the scene with Rin being stuck with nails whist bondage tied to the chair was a bit more out there than anything in Kiss x Sis, but I take your point about the setting and art having an effect.

Mnemosyne have made more of the yuri undertones between the lead girls to make up for it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Eyeshield 21 - 8.5/10

This was a pretty awesome series, it actually made me like American Football slightly (just slightly) even though real AF will never be this awesome lol. The main character Sena is a pretty typical character (the one who has no self-confidence) but quite likeable, however its all about Hiruma the quarterback, I friggen love his character and if you watch you'll know why.

Le Chevalier d'Eon - 8.8/10

I didn't know what to make of this at first, but it quickly became top-notch historical fiction. Cross dressing spy Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée d'Éon de Beaumont? Possesed by the soul of his fictitious dead sister out for revenge. French revolutionary Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre? (You can tell I love these ridiculous French names) Powerful occultist and magician locked in a proxy battle with King Louis XV for the future of France.

Beautiful animation (and brilliantly choreographed sword fights) from Production I.G, and a plot with sufficient political and personal intrigue to keep anyone with a moderate attention span hooked. On the downside, it is a little dialogue heavy at times, there's less character development than you would expect for the time spent on exposition and the fast-paced first episode is misleading in terms of the series overall. Still, stick with it and it's like slowly polishing a precious stone; It just gets better and better.

I used to do a very irregular youtube review series on anime-related games for part of a mate's website and he was always suggesting I ought to try reviewing a complete series, so I've finally had a stab at it. Be prepared: Glaswegian drawl ahead.

Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V95Kg0SofQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V95Kg0SofQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Just finished watching Midnight Eye Gokuu II (I yesterday) OVA. It was made in 89 so its proper old skool but the animation is very good. It's about a detective (Gokuu) who loses his left eye and then has it replaced by someone we don't know, however this new eye is like a mini computer which can access all the computers (and machines I believe) of the world, so he can even access nuclear warheads and blow up the earth in like seconds if he wanted to, seriously...

The first one was pretty good quite abit of action and contains alot of the things I love about old skool anime, so does the second although past the second half the story gets alittle dumb for me. Both of the OVA's plots are nothing you haven't seen before, but I believe its worth watching.

6.5/10

P.S. Gokuu dresses like an 80's chippendale.

Spice and Wolf - 8/10

On paper this sounds like the most boring waste of time ever, but two strong dramatic arcs and some wonderful characterization make it far more compelling than it has any right to be.

Star of the show is Horo, a wolf diety several hundred years old, though she has taken the form of a teenage girl, with only her animal ears and tail serving as a reminder of what she really is. Though it's easy to dismiss her based on appearance, she's a multifaceted character: haughty yet playful, intelligent yet easily jealous, a tease yet desperately lonely. Her interaction with Lawrence, the trader who finds her sleeping in his cart and who promises to accompany her back home, is so entertaining that I didn't mind not understanding much of the medieval economics that drives the plot.

I've not come across anything quite like this in all my years of watching anime, and that alone makes it worthy of attention.

Well said Fabric. I can't wait for the next season. XD

Top wo Nerae! 2 7/10
Aim for the Top! 2 or Diebuster is the sequal to the far superior 1st series aired in 1988. You can't really say much without spoiling the the first series so I'll just say this. It's about earths occupance defending the planet from space alien/insect things using giant mentally powered robots (Buster Machines). I thought the story was lacking and thrown together to be honest. The animation and fight scenes were the main hook for me. It was very entertaining to watch. If the story had been better, and the characters had been better developed, it would have been great. Alas, it was not to be. I must have been in a good mood when I rated it coz it could just as easily have been a 6.

Zero no Tsukaima 8/10
Ecchi come fantasy comedy. Very familiar stroy line to many anime's I've seen in the past. When you stand back from it, there's nothing that really makes the series stand out. However, I couldn't help but enjoy it. The characters are very likeable and villains are dislikable. Had me laughing out loud on a number of occasions and kept me jogging threw the episodes. It's usually a good sign when I finish a series in a short space of time. Good one to watch if you want something entertaining and light hearted. More precise score would be around the 7.5-8 mark.

Nyan Koi! 7/10
Harem time! Boy damages cat spirit statue, gets cursed, can hear what cats are saying and has to do their bidding, funny situautions develop (nutshell). Aired last year and seemed to have quite a following. I found the characters very entertaining. The story line wasn't genius but it had me laughing more than alot of anime's I've seen recently. It only took me three sittings to watch so that's says alot about how easy it is to watch. A solid 7 in my books.

This is my first post!

Just finished the following:

Yomigaeru Sora 1-13. Definitely a 9 or even 10, can't recommend it enough. Great story & the animation is some of the best I have seen. This easily rivals any live action rescue drama I may have seen.

Boogiepop Phantom 1-12. Confusing as hell but loved the dark imagery and animation. Think it deserves a second viewing at some point to fully understand the main story. Give this a 8.5

Time of Eve 1-6. Such a great idea this. It looked fantastic and the story was very intelligent. Definitely worthy of the all hype, it will be nice to see this get a full DVD release once the movie has been out. I could only download 2 eps and watched the rest via streaming, so not the best quality. The animation deserves to be seen on nice widescreen LCD tv. This gets a 9 or 10 aswell.

Well for the first time ever i watched Ghost in the shell.

And..IMO it was average. I didnt like the whole Puppet master thing. The action could of been better however i do admit the animation was pretty good.

But like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion and Rahxephon, Its over-hyped by people who are even amazed when they look in the mirror.

Stuntman Rob: I'd recommend the two novels, Boogiepop at dawn & Boogiepop & others if you enjoyed the anime. If you can't do that then just find out what happens in them on wikipedia or somewhere like that, I guess you could call them the prequels to the series. Anyway, it makes it a lot less confusing.

Sanji no 1: The first GITS movie has aged especially when compared to the two SAC series. I loved it when I was about 15 but it does feel quite average now.

Cheers Yuvie, think Wikipedia's a good shout, will take a look. Sure I will watch the series again some time, sure reading the background will help!

So Ra No Wo To - Episodes 1 & 2

I'm not sure what to make of this - is it a gentle and brilliant evocation of the wonders of music during a time of war or the nadir of current anime trends - young girls in Prussian/WWI German uniforms guarding a fort in what looks like Alsace-Lorraine. There's an ancient super-tank and a bunch of misfits who hug and squeal and shout at each other. Episode 1 has a girl in the bath Episode 2 gives us the revelation that they all bathe together.

For me there were echoes of Orguss 2 with the setting and uniforms.

I miss the excitement I felt with Darker than Black and Le Chevalier D'Eon.

Genkina Hito said:
So Ra No Wo To - Episodes 1 & 2

I'm not sure what to make of this - is it a gentle and brilliant evocation of the wonders of music during a time of war or the nadir of current anime trends - young girls in Prussian/WWI German uniforms guarding a fort in what looks like Alsace-Lorraine. There's an ancient super-tank and a bunch of misfits who hug and squeal and shout at each other. Episode 1 has a girl in the bath Episode 2 gives us the revelation that they all bathe together.

For me there were echoes of Orguss 2 with the setting and uniforms.

I miss the excitement I felt with Darker than Black and Le Chevalier D'Eon.

Episode 3 has a German staff car from WWII. This show is free, which is probably why I'm watching it.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 6/10
I was one of those overly excited fans when hearing about a release of the second series of Haruhi. I have never read the manga so I had no idea what was coming next. I waited till the full series was available so I could watch it back to back but with not watching as it was aired, I was hearing a few disturbing this about things anime I'd been so keen to watch.

I feel sorry for the people who watched the second season on a week by week basis. It must have been so painfull to watch. I'd heard rumours about the Endless Eight Arc, and never thought it would be as bad as people made it out. It was a good idea but it just went on for far too long. If it wasn't for the other episodes I think I would have given a lower score. After rating the first season so highly I was not expecting to give a score of 6 to the second. Shocking. =(

Love Hina 4/10
Probably spoilers ahead for anyone who cares. Maybe I'm being a little harsh. Well, the series probably wasn't aimed at my kind of audience. My partner bought the series so I thought I might as well be an anime purist and give it a go. I had the same experience with Fruits basket but I actually enjoyed that a lot. This series started well, I thought. Then it became kind of tedious during the middle, what with Keitaro accidently walking into bath area with bunch of girls, then getting hit every episode for being 'perverted'. Then, every other scene, Keitaro gets punched into the sky by Naru and these two are meant to be in love. I don't know, maybe there's a deeper meaning in there that I'm not getting because I'm about as dumb as Keitaro. I've gotta say by the end of the series, I absolutely detested Naru. I've seen plenty of anime but that's the first time a character really pissed me off. The mid-to-end episodes started well but then the last bunch of episodes were a letdown. ****, you both love eachother, you dumb emotionally retarded schmucks, you could have ended this happily ever after 15 f'n episodes ago. Those two bastards deserved eachother in the end but I gotta say I was rootin for the 'other' girl. However, on a slightly positive note, I'm sure the girls will love it. Anyway, I'm just gonna go back to reading Berserk, oh and asking my partner if she could hit me with her best left hook, staight right combo because we're a couple of sadists like that.

Oh and one more before I go.

His and her circumstances 2/10
Dull, dull, long drawn out, um'in & ah'in love story. Silly at times. Great for insomniacs and girls. Terrible ending.

You know who's ruling the tv time in this household atm.

Yuvie said:
Love Hina 4/10
Probably spoilers ahead for anyone who cares. Maybe I'm being a little harsh.
No, no, that's a perfectly fair assessment. The Love Hina anime is a piece of ****. Not that the manga's a masterpiece or anything, though it is vaguely tolerable for maybe six or seven volumes of Naru being a bitch and Keitaro being a spineless personality void. And don't worry, "Naru punches Keitaro into orbit" is not what I would consider a spoiler. A most amusing read, sir.

You are perhaps a tad harsh on His and Her Circumstances, which has a fine opening six episodes before shifting the focus onto irritating side characters. Then Hideaki Anno walked out. Then the budget ran out. Oops.

Back