Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Lutga said:
To be honest, I was a little disappointed - maybe it's the short-ish running time, maybe it's the always slightly uneasy blend between hand drawn and CGI animation or the fact that a lot of the running time is just fight sequences. But it never quite pushed my buttons like I wanted it to.

Nor, was it as bloody as I wanted, either. I thought this was going to be up there with Elfen Lied/Urotsukidoji levels of sordid-ness.
The CGi was one of my major complaints about the first two movies. It really takes you out of it when that awful choppy PS2 era CGi sticks out as much as it does.
From what I remember it's still present in the third, but nowhere near as bad. Speaking of the third movie, if it's a blood and gore fest you're wanting then that's the film for you.

Mangaranga said:
Lutga said:
To be honest, I was a little disappointed - maybe it's the short-ish running time, maybe it's the always slightly uneasy blend between hand drawn and CGI animation or the fact that a lot of the running time is just fight sequences. But it never quite pushed my buttons like I wanted it to.

Nor, was it as bloody as I wanted, either. I thought this was going to be up there with Elfen Lied/Urotsukidoji levels of sordid-ness.
The CGi was one of my major complaints about the first two movies. It really takes you out of it when that awful choppy PS2 era CGi sticks out as much as it does.
From what I remember it's still present in the third, but nowhere near as bad. Speaking of the third movie, if it's a blood and gore fest you're wanting then that's the film for you.

Nice, I'll look forward to the third one then. Yeah, if anything, it was the choppyness that annoyed me more than the art style itself (which actually looks quite elegant at times) - it was like I was watching a laggy game or something!

Glasslip

Never in all my life have I seen a show that was more of a bag of nothingness. What was the point :lol:

This wasn't the worst show ever made. But it's not better than or as good as any other show ever made, for sure.

nothing/10

One Piece Movie Collection Two:

One Piece The Adventure of Dead End: This is the best out of the three by miles the animation is a lot better than the previous collection of films. The story is fairly good too and maybe could of even been made into a short filler arc, it was that good. Also anything to do with Shanks in any way shape or form I am a sucker for as he is my favorite anime character of all time. 8/10

One Piece The Cursed Holy Sword: This also has fairy good animation but it's just a typical story line as I am sure every anime fan has heard of a 'Holy Sword' or 'Sacred Sword' in one way or another. However it is still worth a watch as it gives you some character development on Zoro even though it's only filler. 7/10

One Piece Baron Matsuri And The Secret Island: This was done by the creator of TGWLTT I believe so the art style was way off and also the story was completely different to anything in One Piece. Some people may like this as it's something new but I just didn't care for anything in this movie one bit. 5/10

One Piece Take Aim! The Pirate Baseball King: This is a 5 minute short extra in this collection and it's definitely worth a watch as it is just comedy gold. 10/10

I await the next movie collection as it has remakes of two very good arcs in One Piece so I am curious to see how they did on the remakes.

Professor Irony said:
I recall seeing one guy gushing over the animation in that, but eh, who knows. They lost me at the synopsis, personally.

The animation is dece and the artwork is fairly pretty, even if typical, but the show really is a giant bag of nothingness. It goes nowhere at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Murakami-esque openness and unexplainedness as much as the next person, but Glasslip really is curious in how little satisfaction, sense and resolution it provides. In a way it really is trying to provide a more real take on a long and ever so slightly supernatural anime summer, offering nothing more than a snapshot into these character's lives who live in a world where not everything is explainable and neat. But mixes in a chunk of typical anime cheese to make it palatable to the Japanese anime watching audience.

This almost sounds like I'm positive about the show, but I don't think I really feel positive about it. It just felt like a bit of a waste of time, and nothing but pointless babble. To me the show is best captured by this quote, which some may consider a spoiler, barley:

"They weren't the future. But those visions I saw are sure to happen. Oh wait, isn't that the same thing? Hmm, I don't know"

That is the show in a nutshell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished Zankyou No Terror / Terror In Resonance and I really liked it a lot... well, until it suddenly ended at 11 episodes and I was thinking "Was this it?"
Rating: While watching 8/10, after watching 5/10.

(and I really wanted the english title to be some reference to old british comedies, like "Thank you, no terror please, we're British")

RE-REVIEW: Glasslip

10/10

This is true beauty. Please disregard my foolish typings of last night. Glasslip is everything anime has the potential to be but almost never is. Glasslip despite first appearances is a true avant-garde piece, but cunningly wrapped up and disguised in the camouflage of traditional anime trappings. This is anything but ordinary though. Glasslip is exceedingly well written, in fact, you may be thrown off by how well written it is, and mistake it for being crap, because you're not taking it for the serious work it is. It is honestly poetic, and honestly boundary pushing, in more ways than one. This is the kind of anime that shouldn't have been green-lit by the nerds who run the anime industry, but has! I shall give nothing more away though, as you have to to just let it all wash over you fresh and discover it for yourself.

I now I sound sarcastic considering how negative I was about this yesterday, but I'm really being honest, it's great. Curious to hear what others made of it?

I like that they weren't overplayed and over-dramatized, which could be why they didn't grip you. MAJOR SPOILERS AHOY I never felt like I was being manipulated to feel sympathetic for "the tragic glasses girl" due to her hospitalization/illness, nor is a massive deal ever made of it, nor is it ever used as an excuse when she acts like a dick. Likewise her bisexual revelation and feelings toward Touko never leads to some melodramatic climax of romantic angst, as it would do in 99% other anime. It just is what it is, the character's involved just accept they have to live with this less than idealistic circumstance and move on, just as you feel most reasonable people would do in real life too. The runner guy never declares his love for his step sister or whatever nor are we given any explicit evidence of romantic intention towards her from him, we just get subtle hints that he may be appreciating her more, even if he doesn't quite seem over Touko. There's never any grand and neat resolution there, it's just kind of awkward between him and Touko for ages, and then they just realize they have to accept it for what it is. And Touko and guy in the blue t shirt guy's relationship is just an ambiguous, if not more so, as everything else. Not to mention how ambiguous the "visions" are, and the multitude of ways they can be read.

In short: This is an anime that I found to be simultaneously touching, and as real as real life. If real life were set in an idyllic Japanese anime town exclusively populated with beautiful (both inside and out) people. But they are flawed, uncertain, and very human people.

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
Never in all my life have I seen a show that was more of a bag of nothingness. What was the point :lol:
vashdaman said:
RE-REVIEW: Glasslip

10/10
This is true beauty.
Most dramatic 180 in the history of anything, ever :D

Glasslip's in my Crunchy queue but I haven't watched it yet. All I know is that it has an average rating of under 6 on MAL, which basically means it's either a) terrible, or b) sorely misunderstood. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to find out for myself.

haha, yeah I have to admit that was pretty extreme. I was pretty groggy when I watched the last ep, and not really in the right frame of mind to digest it all, and just kind of took my anger out on poor, totally undeserving of my ire, Glasslip. It just kind of all totally clicked a while after though, and I was blown away.

I was scrolling through the comments under the last ep on CR last night, and unsurprisingly, the majority seem to agree with you Voxphantom :( Though there were a few that got it. I've seen a lot of Slice of Life anime over the past couple years, but none as delicate, thoughtful and brave as Glasslip. You're average Slice of Life (I hate this genre label) fan just isn't ready for it. One person on CR said something like "who in their right mind would commission and green light this show!" and he's totally correct; Glasslip is something that shouldn't have been green-lit by an anime producer seeking profit, but it has, and I'm grateful for that.

After doing some research (looking on wiki) I found out it's directed by one Junji Nishimura, a 59 year old anime vet, who until now, appears to only have had a string of "mehs" on his CV. My guess is that at this late-ish stage in his career, he grabbed with both hands his chance to really make something of meaning and value, and to try to revolutionize the Slice of Life genre in the process.

I'd be interested to know how this fared in Japan. My guess is poorly (like my other anime darling, My Little Monster), but here's hoping.

Well if it takes two viewings to go from being a worthless show to a 10/10 it's going to struggle to gain popularity :(

I have to admit that I dropped Glasslip after the first episode as it annoyed me.

R

1/10 - Amon Saga

I've been slowly working my way through all the old 'Manga Collection' DVDs that I picked up cheaply off of Amazon, and have actually been sort of enjoying the majority of them through a combination of laughably horrendous dubs (hello Shadow Skill!) and hammy action sequences (Vampire Wars). But Christ was this one dull as hell. The plot was difficult to follow and the animation really hasn't dated well. Also, the transfer is probably one of the worst from the collection - every single frame is blurred/pixelated. Not fun at all.

Space Dandy S2: Better than the first season as all the characters get a lot more development, the comedy was just as good as the previous season and I thought the ending was good as it is just how I imagined it to be. Weird, Wacky & Wonderful. 9/10

Zankyou no Terror: Just go watch it right now. 10/10

Back