Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Welcome to the NHK.

I thought this was pretty funny, barring a couple of really tense episodes, I liked the feel of this anime. However, I lost interest with 3 eps to go, basically once the dude with the glasses left (I am.not good with Japanese names lol) And I read those episode summaries on Wikipedia lol, by the sounds of things, I glad I did.

7.5/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jormungand: This is a very good series and is very similar to a show called Black Lagoon. So if your a fan of Black Lagoon I would recommend checking it out. The animation, story and characters are all solid throughout the series. The episodes I enjoyed most where the side characters getting their own plot spanning over one or two episodes. Also if you have access to the cast commentaries definitely give them a watch as they're funny an somewhat interesting.

9/10

Psycho-Pass

Good but not quite great. The first half of the show was excellent in my opinion, with some good cases and storyline, but the second half couldn't match this. The penultimate scene though with Makashima running through the wheat and then falling to his knees acceptant of what was to happen, and then watching Kogami holding the gun before shooting him was extremely well done.

While watching I never felt like I got to know the characters well enough outside of the main antagonist Makishima (who admittedly I thought was a good character). I also extremely liked the hard boiled character, Masoaka. Probably my favourite character in the show.

SHowed glimpses of being a great show, but never quite reached the level of something like Stand Alone COmplex. I am greatly looking forward to the second season though.

7/10

Fate/Stay Night: This anime was a lot better than I expected it to be. The fights in this anime are quality with the animation an just the overall style of the fights. This anime also has a very good soundtrack and the characters are a lot better than your average anime especially Saber. Going to watch Fate/Zero next to see how it compares to this and also before the new FSN: UBW anime comes out.

8/10

Witch Craft Works

Having been persuaded to give it a shot by an interesting writeup on Ogiue Maniax, I ended up enjoying this one more than I expected to. It's pretty standard magical-adventure fare, but the central gimmick of placing the male protagonist as damsel in distress for the tough heroine to rescue was actually quite amusing. It can be quite expository and the author's apparent drive to keep it light do hold it back, but it's oddly charming and I thought the flying sequences were nicely done.

Elfen Lied - 8/10

I had heard this show was bloody, but by God, did I not expect quite *how* bloody it gets. The opening 10 minutes are possibly some of the most shocking stuff I've ever seen in an anime, and there's a few scenes later in the show that stick in my head even now.

It all just comes back to the sheer oddity of the violence mixed with the super-moe art style. The English dub is properly 'moe' too - I swear these voice actors try to sound younger and more 'innocent' with every passing moment.

Kind of glad it was just 13 eps too as I don't think the premise could have sustained it much longer. This is a properly soul destroying show - and the OP music is creepy (yet stunning) in its own right. All in all, the show is far from perfect - but it shocks you in all the right places, and that's often what I like best about anime.

Just finished Psycho-Pass, I rate it an 8. Very interesting storyline as well as intriguing concepts. Revelations very nicely laid out to keep interest up. The bonus interviews from Sakura-Con were great, and I'm very much looking forward to the second season.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind

A fantastic watch. Revered movie and rightly so. Good message, fantastic animation and all around great in all departments.

9/10

Patlabor Movie 1

Enjoyable. Likeable cast of characters, intruguing plot and great animation.

8/10

Lutga said:
Elfen Lied - 8/10

I had heard this show was bloody, but by God, did I not expect quite *how* bloody it gets. The opening 10 minutes are possibly some of the most shocking stuff I've ever seen in an anime, and there's a few scenes later in the show that stick in my head even now.

It all just comes back to the sheer oddity of the violence mixed with the super-moe art style. The English dub is properly 'moe' too - I swear these voice actors try to sound younger and more 'innocent' with every passing moment.

Kind of glad it was just 13 eps too as I don't think the premise could have sustained it much longer. This is a properly soul destroying show - and the OP music is creepy (yet stunning) in its own right. All in all, the show is far from perfect - but it shocks you in all the right places, and that's often what I like best about anime.

*soul destroying show* is exactly what it is......but by God it's a good classic.

Saber marrenet j franchise

This is a romantic but mostly comedy anime.

It's about a kid who wakes up 3 robots with souls and he raises them and they go on adventures to ether save the world or finding out what they are and such.....not a ground braking show but it had its some what fun light moments........the R series was darker and shorter which didn't have no connection to the main series but the names.

The character designs look terrible tho....there heads look like some one squished a tomato.

It's a oldie you can tell but the animation from season 1 to 4

It hasn't got a good story but it's mostly a comedy.

7/10

Fate/Zero: Most overrated anime I've ever seen. The only thing that wasn't overrated was the animation as that was done brilliantly. People go on about the music to me it was just an opera song thrown into a fight scene to try and make it sound 'epic'. Also the fight scenes do look amazing but there was a lack of fights there was like a 4-5 episode break before a fight even happened and of what I had heard this series was all about the fights. I only liked three of the characters (two of those being in FSN: Saber & Gilgamesh) all the rest were just mediocre at best. The final few episodes were good as it was setting up for FSN but apart from that everything was just average.

6.5/10

Kurz Weber said:
Fate/Zero: Most overrated anime I've ever seen. The only thing that wasn't overrated was the animation as that was done brilliantly. People go on about the music to me it was just an opera song thrown into a fight scene to try and make it sound 'epic'. Also the fight scenes do look amazing but there was a lack of fights there was like a 4-5 episode break before a fight even happened and of what I had heard this series was all about the fights. I only liked three of the characters (two of those being in FSN: Saber & Gilgamesh) all the rest was just mediocre at best. The final few episodes where good as it was setting up for FSN but apart from that everything was just average.

6.5/10

I agree that the show is probably over-rated (people seem to absolutely revere it) - but I found it fairly enjoyable. Yes, it can be very slow in places, and a lot of it requires you to have prior knowledge/love of the franchise, but when it does things right, it *really* gets it right.

When I finished it, it left me with a few things:

a) It feels like a very 'adult' show - when so many anime shows are teen centric, super fast, hectic - Fate Zero feels very measured and not afraid to do 'complicated'. These characters are all varying shades of grey, and it shows.

b) Berserker - clearly in here as a 'comedy' character, but he ends up becoming a real lynchpin and unifier in the series. He makes you care for what could be a real gimmick of a character, and probably ends up as the only real 'good guy' of the show.

c) Irisvyiel - for me, the greatest thing about the show. Her relationship with Kiritsugu in the show is so screwed up, as is her whole purpose as a person, yet she keeps soldiering on. Following her character with the hindsight of what happens with her daughter in FSN is absolutely heartbreaking.

@Lutga and Kurz Weber

http://youtu.be/XvqZwAR6Uio

You can't be serious.....right??!!

I thought it was one of the greatest series iv ever seen.

Animation beautifully brilliant
Charecters...outstanding and great development
Music.....gorgeous
Story great
Mature

I just feel in love with it.

How dare you give it a below a 7.

But everyone has different tastes and...views

I just didn't enjoy it as much as other shows. Yes, I can appreciate it has value on an art/complexity sense, but when I'm rating a show, a good deal of it will ultimately come down to sheer enjoyment. F/Z is a strong show, there's no doubt about it - but it's by no means perfect.

I think the new version of Fate will be very interesting to follow as I think the story arcs from the original VN are better than Zero - and with the updated art style, it'll be interesting to see just how good it can get if it plays its cards rights.

Kurz Weber said:
People go on about the music to me it was just an opera song thrown into a fight scene to try and make it sound 'epic'.

Yuki Kajiura...umm ahhh :cry:

Nah, it's alright haha! I can see why you feel let down with the hype and all. I was like that with Madoka Magica. Not insulting it, just the hype really made me expect something I didn't get. Still enjoyed it though.

Lutga said:
I just didn't enjoy it as much as other shows. Yes, I can appreciate it has value on an art/complexity sense, but when I'm rating a show, a good deal of it will ultimately come down to sheer enjoyment. F/Z is a strong show, there's no doubt about it - but it's by no means perfect.

I think the new version of Fate will be very interesting to follow as I think the story arcs from the original VN are better than Zero - and with the updated art style, it'll be interesting to see just how good it can get if it plays its cards rights.

In my opinion I thought out was better then stay night.....at least it didn't have that idiot With the Orange hair.

Zero was more about the battle of ideals

I understand the animation is brilliant, all the characters get screen time and loads of development but it was honestly just boring at times. Fate Stay Night had the comedy and the relationships between Shiro, Saber & Tosaka which I found much more entertaining and also the fights in FSN was just as good as Fate/Zeros. Might just be down to my taste but I just didn't find in that good in any way. I usually end up liking hyped up shows for example: Death Note, Code Geass, SAO, etc. but this was just a huge let down.

Kurz Weber said:
I understand the animation is brilliant, all the characters get screen time and loads of development but it was honestly just boring at times. Fate Stay Night had the comedy and the relationships between Shiro, Saber & Tosaka which I found much more entertaining and also the fights in FSN was just as good as Fate/Zeros. Might just be down to my taste but I just didn't find in that good in any way. I usually end up liking hyped up shows for example: Death Note, Code Geass, SAO, etc. but this was just a huge let down.

But please tell me you liked rider.

to all those who have seen fate zero have a look at this

giggiuk does a much better job at telling how awesome the series is

http://youtu.be/M8I7a2RRrTE

in my opinion re guarding those 3

I thought code gaess wasn't that good cause it had a protagonist that made me want to straggle him for all the bad stuff he did.......and unlike death note which was its own thing and was original , code gaess had loads of clichés and stuff you could find in other anime

protagonist finds something or someone that gives him superpowers......which is a giant massive coincidence finding a girl who is related to his fathers plans and he gets the power to control people.

giant mechs that you can find in the gundam series and other series

it takes place in school

I just couldn't bring my self to like code geass until ep 19 r2 kicked in and we see that bastard be betrayed.

death note was pretty damn good but after ep 25 it went down hill......I hate that bastard fail clone near.

SAO was good but the second half sorta a drag

Attack On Titan: My second 'Hyped up' show in a row however this one did live up to that hype. Fast paced, gore, action and just quality action/fight scenes. I thought it would just be titans invading the place but this show is a lot more than that. All the characters have their own background and what their goals are. The openings and the soundtrack in this series are also amazing and just add to this already great show. This isn't just your average shonen were the main character pulls off a new move to get him out of trouble, instead it uses strategic planning to help them through certain situations. This also feels like a brand new element to the shonen genre which is also why I've recently got into Magi you have everyting in the shonen category now, pirates, ninjas, soul reapers, wizards, genies and now titans.

When I found out Eren could turn into a titan this just made the show ten times better. When he clashes with the female titan as well it just blows everything away.

I'd give this anime a 10/10 but because its incomplete story as the manga is on going I won't. Also definitely will be picking up the Attack On Titan manga to see what happens next.

9.5/10

Dance in The Vampire Bund

Rather enjoyed this. The plot has intriguied me enough that I might dip in to the Manga to see what the hell is up with the true-blood lineage stuff. Good action, decent music. Fun.

7/10

Berserk - Movie 1

Finally got round to watching these, seeing how the third one is out soon. I'm not sure quite what I was expecting/wanting from the film - an anime version of Game of Thrones, perhaps, as the box puts it. And it's definitely not that.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed - maybe it's the short-ish running time, maybe it's the always slightly uneasy blend between hand drawn and CGI animation or the fact that a lot of the running time is just fight sequences. But it never quite pushed my buttons like I wanted it to.

Nor, was it as bloody as I wanted, either. I thought this was going to be up there with Elfen Lied/Urotsukidoji levels of sordid-ness.

That said, I still enjoyed it - and perhaps this is where the running time helps, it doesn't outstay its welcome and clearly sets up for movie 2. The characterisation is nicely done to - this film is essentially the relationship between Guts and Griffith, the latter of which is fascinating. You're never quite sure whether you admire or hate him - which is probably help by the androgynous character design.

7.5 / 10

Back