Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Tenchi OVA 1 - 7.5-8/10

Entertaining enough fluff. Dealt with all the main character introductions, included most of the laughs and had a good villain. Let down by the silliness of it all and the lack of explanations about the sci-fi/supernatural elements (this is what ruined the series for me - random plot no justu power-ups and the like). The fact the alien + harem thing isn't new to me didn't help Tenchi out a lot.

Tenchi OVA 1+1 (7) - 8/10

Lots of harem comedy, no unexplained sci-fi. Good stuff.

Tenchi OVA 2 - 7-7.5/10

Started out decent, with some down to earth harem comedy (like episode 7) but became boring once the sci-fi stuff came back into the picture. There wasn't any Kagato this time around, and the new 'save the universe' plot seemed to be ditched after the 12th episode. The final episode involved the Jurai royal family randomly coming to earth and it bored me.

Tenchi: Mihoshi Special - 7/10

Meh. A decent watch after I'd just finished the first two OVA series but no more than that. The best part was when the mini-Ryoko's chased after Tenchi...and when Ryoko chained Tenchi to a bed. Everything else will prove to be easy to forget.

I like Tenchi but cba to watch the final OVA series or the TV series. The OVA quality worsened as it went on, and the various TV series will no doubt be full of poor filler that was thrown in to make the series fit into 26 episodes. But I'm glad I picked up the OVA box set - what I've seen was a good watch and I can understand why it's so loved, the art/animation quality and it not being as unoriginal as it is today turning into something of a legend.

How do you feel about Excel Saga?
Because the director Shinichi Watanabe directed Tenchi Muyo GXP (which isn't about Tenchi at all), and it's a zany, far out harem comedy that I really enjoyed.

It's funny you should mention it - I was thinking about selling the series earlier on today.

Excel Saga isn't for me. The 'jokes' seemed to be repeated in every episode I watched (dead Spanish guy), and it wasn't even funny to begin with. Rather than amuse me, it was a struggle to keep watching it, and I eventually dropped it.

Yeah, I guess I ought to rate something. And I just finished a rewatch of Excel Saga myself.

The first time I saw it, I loved it. Thought it was as good as sliced cheese, if not sliced bread. Rated it 9/10.

Rewatch value... Not so good. Even after 18 months, it just wasn't fresh. Last year it was laugh out loud. This year it was chuckle quietly. 7/10

The worrying thing is that Austin Powers was like that for me. First time hilarious, second time amusing, third time smirksome. Now I think it's a pile of crap. I hope that doesn't happen to Excel Saga for me.

I'd give GXP a rent, bugger Region 1. Find a way to watch it once without permanently owning it, because it's great for filling out the future world of Tenchi Muyo outside of the planet Earth, the Galaxy Police, the Jurai and all the stuff that is the backstory of the Tenchi universe.

Been watching the Get Backers series over the past 2 days, just finished season 1 and oh mayn does it suck compared to the manga. Ususally I'm not that bothered when they tone down blood but it has none at all, in some places it makes the scenes fully illogical.

Well, I've started it now so I guess I will watch season 2. I think I'd see it until the end because I do love Get Backers but I doubt it's going to get much better. Fortunately I borrowed the boxsets so no loss there.

5/10, stick to the manga.

Tenchi Movie 1 - 7.5/10

Nice time travel story (the idea, anyway), but no explanations provided for how people could go back in time with ease and unleash plot no justo power-ups when needed. And the ending, which suggested Tenchi's mother died because he was born and she somehow lost her powers by passing them onto him, was confusing when other Jurai women have had brats and not died.

Tenchi doesn't work so well when there's a serious business, 'prevent time from changing' story. On one hand I thought the story was decent but on the other I thought it was ******* retarded how crazy **** kept happening without explanation. The focus being on drama and not comedy hurt the film quite a bit.

Rumbling Hearts - 6/10

By the end of it all, I wish there was better on offer for me to watch at the time, never again.

Black Lagoon - 8/10

No explaination needed.

Lupus said:
Rumbling Hearts - 6/10

By the end of it all, I wish there was better on offer for me to watch at the time, never again.
The setting for this show was flawed from the start. The relations between all three of the characters were too deeply established to be superficially discarded, but inevitably one part of the triangle needed to be broken away. The results left me wanting. To me, 'clean' resolutions to love triangles often devalue the merits of their constituent characters.

Shinkai's works aside, Rumbling Hearts remains my favourite romance anime. It's pure soap opera melodrama, sure, but it worked for me.

Zin5ki said:
The setting for this show was flawed from the start. The relations between all three of the characters were too deeply established to be superficially discarded
I'd argue that it was hardly "superficial". Time passes, (some) people change. And Takayuki & Haruka had only been going out for a few weeks, so their relationship isn't something I would describe as "deeply established".

Last edited by a moderator:
fabricatedlunatic said:
It's pure soap opera melodrama, sure, but it worked for me.

Do you want me to get you a dress, darling?

I also liked RH, but it did seriously drag during the middle. It started emotionally and ended in the same fashion, though.

Tenchi: Movie 2 - 7-7.5/10

Yet more 7-8/10 Tenchi. Same old, same old.

This film had the potential to be 8/10 worthy - on par or even better than the first. It failed to do so for one reason: its length. Rather than a film, it was more like a Christmas special, with under 55 minutes of content. I liked the new member of Tenchi's harem, his 'daughter', but it all fell apart towards the end when the story started rushing, jumping around after it had been going at an average pace. Because of the pacing, the fight at the end was pretty bad, ending as soon as Tenchi powered up.

If you push me, I'd give the first film 8/10. In the case of the second, if pushed I'd score it 7/10. I can only hope the final film, which lasts as long as the first, is executed better than number 2 and is at least 8/10 worthy. I'm too hopeful since movies 2 & 3have the same rating on MAL.

Area 88 - 7.5-8/10

Until the 'ending', I was going to give this a straight up score of 8/10. What changed my mind was how anti-climatic it ended. It seemed to be heading towards an epic conclusion, with Shin deciding to desert to stop the wedding of Ryoko with his rival...but then he stopped, going back to base. The series ended with Shin staying at Area 88 and the photographer informing Ryoko that Shin hadn't died. That was it - no confrontation between Shin and Kanzaki, no reunion between Shin and Ryoko...nothing. It was as if the final episode hadn't been included.

Overall, Area 88 was an enjoyable show to watch. Lots of episodic goodness, nice looking CG snd some likeable characters. But the lack of character development, simplistic 'I set you up to steal your woman, lulz. I am your eternal rival!' story and lack of any real conclusion let it down. I'm glad I watched it but with more depth and a longer run I'm sure it could've been a lot better.

What interests me is the manga spoiler I read on one of the DVDs (great extra, that). In the original manga, Shin had a duel in the sky with Kanzaki at the end. I can only assume that the story was originally a hell of a lot different since Kanzaki in the TV series was just a wannabee airline captain - he'd never even killed anyone before. I'll have to watch the OVA series at some point...

Not having seen them, I couldn't be sure, but I think the OAV version of Area 88 had another ending which was different again from either the manga or the tv series.

I finished the 2004 version quite recently myself and I'm pretty much in agreement. The story isn't hugely original, but the middle-eastern setting is a bit different and the aerial dogfights are nicely done. When you reach the end of the series though, it feels more like the end of a plot-arc than the end of the story altogether. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd been trying to keep it open for another season which never materialised.

Ghost Hunt series 1 part 2 8/10
A enjoyable series from start to finish but especially this second part of the series which is far more creepy and serious in tone than the first part.My only complaint is that there is no second series so far because there are a lot of unanswered questions especially regarding the lead character Shibuya Kazuya who in the novels that the series is based on reveals that is not his real name nor is the man that Mai sees in her dreams Naru .
One can only hope that with the manga ongoing we may someday see another series.Fingers crossed. :D

Princess Mononoke 10/10
This is now the sixth Miyazaki film that I've bought and I can honestly say not a single one has dissappointed me yet.Porco Rosso,Naussica,Kiki's Delivery Service,Totoro,Castle of cagilistro and now Princess Mononoke all superb films for people of all ages .I suppose the one thing that amazes me (I'm taking into consideration that anime is a niche market) is that of all the films this man and his studio have made only one has ever won an Oscar that being Spirited Away which I have yet to see.
When you consider how much crap Hollywood produces these days and that the Oscar's have a seperate foreign film section,one oscar just does'nt seem enough for this man and the body of work he has created.Go figure. :?

Utawarerumono: 8/10 (Version 2)

First of all, let me say that no aspect of this series is outstanding. Rather than being brilliant at one thing, it's more of a good all-round series. It's a solid series; one that fans of war stories set in the ancient past will get into from the get-go. And, despite the main character having his own harem, it's safe to say the series can be enjoyed even by those who dislike harem series.

The story starts with a man getting found injured in the forest near a small farming village. He has a mask, no memories and doesn't have a clue who he is or what he was doing in the forest. He quickly becomes friends with Eluluu, the young healer who found him, and her little sister, Aruruu. He gets given the name Hakuro by the village chief - the name of Eluluu and Aruruu's father.

At first all is well but the situation quickly turns ugly. Hakuro has to come up with a tactic to save the villagers from being eaten alive by the angry 'God' of the forest. He does so, and earns the respect of the entire village. Then the local feudal lord pays a visit to the town in order to collect taxes. One of the guards kills the village chief, resulting in Hakuro being named chief, and he helps the angered villagers lead a rebellion against the feudal lord. Hakuro kills him, which leads to the Emperor getting involved in an attempt to avenge his brother.

From there, the series takes a path fans of the Suikoden video game series will be familiar with: armies fight, new, super strong allies join and, bit by bit, Hakuro's army grows in power. Soon a mere rebellion transforms into a war between nations, with war after war following Hakuro as he rises to power, as if caused by him. As he continues to become more powerful, staining his hands with more and more blood, the questions of who he is and if what he's doing is right become increasingly troubling.

Where the story falls short, after an involving opening and enjoyable middle, is the ending. Prior to the last section of the story, it had been fast-paced bows and arrows warfare. Aside from a few winged magic users, there'd been nothing to suggest the ending would be quite so ridiculous. All of a sudden robots come into the picture, with one nation destroying all others with these machines, and Hakuro's true identity is revealed during the mecha action. In an attempt not to spoil the story, I'll just say that Gods, evolution, space stations, hi-tech science labs, blob monsters, reincarnation, a Godzilla style final battle and all of the usual anime ending stuff you can think of comes into play. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, actually... It's best just to say it ends in a horrible manner and leave it at that. It's a shame because if the series had ended like it started, without all of the seemingly random rubbish, it could've been a top anime.

The ending aside, my other story issue lies with the battle tactics. Hakuro's tactics usually come down to him telling people to go left or right and him letting his elite soldiers slaughter the enemy soldiers. With the main character playing the role of tactician and the story being about him quickly rising to power, I expected in-depth, jaw dropping battle strategies. Maybe I was expecting too much? I don't know, but it's fair to say the battles could've been more complex.

While on the subject of battles, if you've played any of the Dynasty Warrior games you'll have a good idea how the combat goes in Utaware. The generals are all powerful, killing the grunts with one blow, and the proper, more intense combat involves one on one battles between opposing generals. But the combat isn't very exciting, with some animation recycling occurring and the important fights just simply failing to get my blood pumping. It's a shame because some dodgy, out of place CG aside, Utaware is lovely to look at. The art is appealing, the colours vibrant and, as far as I'm aware, the backgrounds were all drawn by hand, giving them extra charm.

To end my story comments on a positive note, I'll end by saying that, if nothing else, the Utaware story is an entertaining one to sit through. The story is always on the move, with there rarely being episodes not focused on the on-going struggles of Hakuro, and it flows excellently from episode to episode. Another story positive is lack of perverted content. I may be little off when I say this but I think the game the anime was based on was an erotic one, involving Hakuro picking one of the female characters to be his girl. While there are elements of this in the plot, in the anime it comes across more like a straight-forward romance that develops in a logical way as the series progresses. The only scene that comes close to crossing the line is one where Karula - a warrior with a HUGE sword and big boobs - offers herself to Hakuro in exchange for his help and almost gets accepted. Overall, the series was highly enjoyable and surprisingly tasteful.

In terms of the huge cast of characters, Utaware is a little hit and miss. The cast are more likeable than well developed. The main cast members all stand-out, with most of their names and personalities sticking in my mind straight away, but not many get fleshed out. You learn their quirks and that's it for the most part. Hakuro gets the most time, as you'd expect with him being the main character, but you never see a lot of his past, and what's shown isn't very clear. Eluluu, the female lead, is cute and likeable enough and her interaction with Hakuro and her little sister, Aruruu, adds depth to her character but she very rarely came across like a real person. Aside from those two, only Oboro and Karula get decent development. Oboro fights whilst constantly worrying about his blind and bedridden little sister (some early episodes focus on this subplot) and Karula has her own little story relating to her past. In short, the cast have a lot of likeability but fairly limited development, with a lot of the blame for this laying with the series length.

As for the music, Utaware has a solid soundtrack. There are some memorable tracks and lots of fitting music that, while unlikely to be listened to outside of the anime, improves the viewing experience. The opening and ending themes are very good, the opening in partcular sticking in my mind.

All in all, Utaware surpassed my expectations but still ended up disappointing me because of how it ended. Until the final volume I was prepared to score it in the 9-10/10 tier, but it'll have to make do with a solid 8/10 instead. I respect the series for not being perverted despite it being based on an erotic game and having a large cast of attractive females. At worst, you could say it panders to the moe market a little, but there's nothing included that made me think the series was aimed more at perverts than people looking for a good story. I recommend anyone looking for some primitive, bows and arrows war look the series up.

-----------

There's one last, non-vital thing I'd like to touch upon: the DVD extras.

Included on the Utaware DVDs is a four part omake series. These short episodes focus on light-hearted fun - very different from the usually serious main story, and I rated the omake series 9/10; one point higher than the main series. Why the rating, you ask? Because the omakes are hilarious. I'm not the sort of guy who roles around laughing, but even I laughed during the third episode when, after Oboro had broke her doll, Touka went batshit insane, beating the crap out of Oboro and making some of the most weird and amusing screams I've ever heard. I loved how Hakuro left the room after seeing Touka's bloody hand and crazy expression, leaving Oboro to his fate (once again!).

Do yourself a favour and watch the Utaware extras. You won't regret it.

Tenchi 3: Tenchi Forever - 9/10

Before the third and final Tenchi movie, Tenchi as a whole had been hit and miss for me, ranging from 7/10 to 8/10 in terms of ratings. I enjoyed the first two OVA series but quickly grew tired of all the silliness and the lack of explanations with regards to various plot elements. It started to get stale after the harem cast had been assembled. My thoughts about the first two movies are very similar to my thoughts about the OVA. So, I didn't go into what's most likely going to be the last Tenchi anime I watch expecting anything other than the usual harem fluff, with a random, one dimensional villain thrown in so that there would be a fight to end it with a sense of purpose.

It ended up surpassing my expectations by some distance. I found it to be emotionally moving and involving - I couldn't help but care about the characters. However, it isn't something for Tenchi fans; it's for fans of well written and executed films. It has a low MAL rating - on par with the Christmas special of a second film - and I understand why without even asking anyone: because it lacks the feel of the other Tenchi anime in existence. If what came before is classed as Tenchi for the younger generation, then this is most certainly Tenchi for adults.

To start with, the art differs from the art of the previous films, both of which looking like the OVA series. I wouldn't say the previous art looks cartoony but it doesn't exactly look realistic either. The intention was clearly to make this installment more realistic to go with the story, and they started by altering the art. The faces look more realistic, the size/proportions of the characters look more realistic... everything apart from the ears and eyes looks realistic. This is a weird complaint to have but the ears bothered me, Ryoko's bothering me the most. Instead of having ears, it looks like a number of characters have rectangles stuck to the sides of their heads. I'm not sure if Ryoko always had rectangled for ears and the different art style simply made me notice, but whoever designed the ears deserves to be shot. Repeatedly.

The music also differs considerably from what's gone before, changing to fit with the new direction. In the past fitting but uninspiring and unmemorable efforts good for comedy were used, but in this there are drama orientated instrumental pieces. Even 'Étude No.3' - the famous piano piece - plays towards the end.

...Anyway, getting back on track. The story starts in normal Tenchi style; with Ayeka and Ryoko fighting like cat and dog and Tenchi getting involved. But within minutes (literally), Tenchi randomly stumbles upon a tree and, enchanted by its beauty, walks toward it. He then gets taken somewhere by a mysterious woman who appears before him.

The plot than fast-forwards six months. Tenchi has been missing and his harem have split up to search for him. Ayeka and Ryoko, who have teamed up, have managed to find out the city he's living in thanks to Washu and they work as waitresses while living there to pay the bills. Ryoko has a watch that alerts her to Tenchi's presence but hasn't had any luck finding him.

It's soon revealed that an older looking Tenchi, complete with long hair, has been living with the woman who appeared before him at the start. The woman is called Haruna and Tenchi has lost all of his memories. And when I say living together, I mean they live together as a couple, doing what couples do when alone. It's normal for anything sexual in a harem to be used only for comical purposes, without any actual sexual intercourse taking place, but there's nothing comical about Tenchi and Haruna's relationship. They're shown together in bed, naked, with Haruna on top of Tenchi early on and later Haruna moves herself slowly up Tenchi whilst he lies down, grinding her body against his.

I'm mentioning this and going into detail because it highlights the different audience the film is aimed at. Sex goes from being childish to being handled in a far more mature fashion. That's quite a jump for what was, before this attempt, a simple and straight-forward harem story involving alien ladies.

Once it's clear how Tenchi's living, the plot starts moving slower. The first twenty minutes flew by - I was surprised by the pacing - but then everything slowed down for character development. Ayeka and Ryoko become more and more depressed with every glimpse of Tenchi happy; oblivious to their existence. Despite them being rivals for Tenchi's affection when down in the dumps, rather than fight over Tenchi, they support each other. Ryoko pushes Ayeka's buttons when she's on the verge giving up and Ayeka tries to do the same for Ryoko. It's fair to say their friendship and not the rivalry they're known for shines through in the film.

All of the other development is, as you'd expected, Tenchi and Haruna development, mixed in with some Yosho (Tenchi's grandfather) development because of his connection to Haruna. The other cast members basically just make cameo appearances. Tenchi comes across differently than the plain harem lead type from before; he's far more troubled and always deep in thought, drawing in an attempt to express himself and the memories that lurk in the back of his mind. Haruna, who is the villain of the story, tries to keep Tenchi ignorant in an attempt to keep him close to her and ease her lonliness. Rather than being yet another one dimensional Tenchi baddie, she's well developed and by the end you can't help but feel sorry for her.

The important characters all receive lots of development, and the story even fills in some small Yosho related holes. The only serous flaw is that, as I mentioned before, it doesn't have the same vibe as the other Tenchi anime. It's very serious, focusing almost fully on drama. There are very few comedy scenes and the cast only gets together at the end. If I was someone who loved Tenchi for being light-hearted fun, I wouldn't be best pleased, so I can understand the problem people have with it... but I'm not one of those people and I respect those in charge for trying something different.

Overall, watching the film was an excellent way to end my Tenchi love affair. I was expecting to end it with yet another 7/10 rating, but I ended up awarding it 9/10 and actually thinking highly of a Tenchi offering. To anyone other than diehard Tenchi fans who can't accept change, I strongly recommend it.

Ah My Goddess season 2 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this second season ,a few new characters come in (Urd's mother Hild & Peorth a Goddess from a rival agency in Heaven) and basically follows Keiichi and Belldandy's very slowly developing relationship with help or hindrance from Urd and Skuld respectively.B asically if you've seen season one then season two will hold no suprises for you .
But for me that's not a bad thing as I've seen all of Kosuke Fujishima's work in anime ,including all the You're under Arrest movie,Oav's and all three tv series and likewise with the Oh my goddess Oav's and the Ah my goddess movie and series.I suppose if I could give one reason why I like this series so much is because unlike a lot of the other anime I watch I love it's plain old fashioned feel-good look and content of the stories.
Maybe I'am getting softer but the show makes me happy after watching an episode and in this day and age feeling happy even for a little while after watching an anime is no bad thing. :D

Aion said:
A long arsed review of Utawarerumono: 8/10

And I totally agree (the end of the world must be coming). People really must give this show more of a chance. The problem is people hear it is based on like a H-game and that's where they switch off. Not even bothering to look into the story. The animation is nice, but the story does move a bit too fast at the beginning to get Hakuro into a position of power.

Double whammy for me. I agree with Aion's Tenchi post as well.

I should've mentioned that, actually. I did in the 'What have you viewed?' thread. The pacing seemed off at the start, with events occurring but not a lot of character development. I would've liked to have seen an episode dedicated to Hakuro setlling in the village.

The drama involving the village far later in the story also wasn't executed very well. It could've been tragic but nothing was shown and it all happened far too quickly for my liking. That's another point I should've touched upon.

I haven't had fun with the Utaware review. My edit count shows that much. I thought too little whilst typing, posted it too fast and it's given me serious headaches. But it pleases me that someone in existence read the reviews and agress with them.

Back