Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

teonzo said:
Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen

Wow, simply wow! I liked this OVA even more than Tsuiokuhen. The story and the flashback structure was great. The pace and the character design were functional to convey all the pathos of this show, this was the perfect ending for the Kenshin franchise. I only wish the series was made in the same vein of this OVA. Another blu-ray to hunt and buy.

Score: 9.5 / 10

Teo

Wow, better than Trust and Betrayal?

Its been a long time since I watched Reflections, but I remember feeling that it paled it comparison to Trust and Betrayal. Of course, I didn't actually ever watch TV series or read the manga (which probably explains alot of why it left me so cold), but I was told by the person at the store that it was the direct follow up to Trust & Betrayal and so that's how I treated it.

I was completely baffled by it to be honest, I really disliked it's structure of jumping around various time periods and plot points, and of course I didn't even know who half the characters were. Even if I did know the characters, I felt like it still tried to cover too much over too short a running time, and ended feeling disjointed and rushed. Some details also pissed me off, like how that little kid from Betrayal who he fights is now looking older than Kenshin and if anything Kenshin just looks younger than he did before!

I found it to be a real disappointment.

vashdaman said:
Wow, better than Trust and Betrayal?

Its been a long time since I watched Reflections, but I remember feeling that it paled it comparison to Trust and Betrayal. Of course, I didn't actually ever watch TV series or read the manga (which probably explains alot of why it left me so cold), but I was told by the person at the store that it was the direct follow up to Trust & Betrayal and so that's how I treated it.

I was completely baffled by it to be honest, I really disliked it's structure of jumping around various time periods and plot points, and of course I didn't even know who half the characters were. Even if I did know the characters, I felt like it still tried to cover too much over too short a running time, and ended feeling disjointed and rushed. Some details also pissed me off, like how that little kid from Betrayal who he fights is now looking older than Kenshin and if anything Kenshin just looks younger than he did before!

I found it to be a real disappointment.

I haven't read the manga, so probably I missed some stuff too. But Reflections is heavily based on the series. There are a lot of little cross-references to various episodes, all these details are put at the right place and the right time of the OVA (at least from my point of view). Just for example, the place where Kenshin and Kaoru meet at the end of the OVA is the same place where occurred some major things in the series... this, the fireflies, the "eternal" game of searching finding leaving waiting contribute a lot to depict all the silent emotions on which this show is based.
The various flashbacks help to see what happened to the characters and what they felt. I liked this choice since it's character based, if they followed the timeline then it would have been much more difficult to show how the feelings of all the major characters developed during their fictional time. There is a logical progression on the choice of this structure, it's functional to build the pathos (and its crescendo) of the show.
About the character design, I much prefer this to the one of the series. It's more "serious" and sad, much more suitable to all the events that happened to those characters. Kenshin was still a teenager when he started to slay people, the fact that his appearance remained mostly the one of when he was a teen is significant to show that for him time just stopped after the events in Trust and Betrayal, his eyes (mostly vacating anywhere) are another sign of this, they are sad and empty. His appearance is also coherent to the one of Seijuro Hiko, who looked 20 when 40 and 40 when 60 (the Hiten Mitsurugi style was said to help people look young). The appearance of the boy from Trust and Betrayal is coherent to the rest of the show: he lost what was his life when he was a child, after that he spent all his time looking badly for revenge, his appearance just depicts how all those evil desires consumed his soul.
All these details were chosen wisely to tell a story where someone is always able to find positive values if he wants, no matter how deeply ****** and dark things happened in his past.

Probably my huge appreciation for this show is due to the fact that I was expecting much more from the series and much less from this OVA. This OVA just treats the franchise in the way I would have liked: based much more on emotions and less on spectacular things (long fightings, gags and so on).

Teo

tenchi muyo ryo ohki
6/10

it had less explanations then first squab and new things came out of nowhere shock i have a sister shock i have a feance on top of that it was boring.

maybe if i had the hole series of tenchi muyo maybe il understand more

Princess mononoke

Every time I watch this anime I still get chills and Is still my fav ghibli film, after watching again I realise that it's really dark and a few scary scenes I would of rated this a 12 to be honest but still a fantastic anime the story good the animations great the lesson it's trying to get across is good but I think if they had more budget they could of made it longer I just feel they cOuld of made it longer, there's nothing wrong with the film I think that they could of made it much more longer.

I cried I laughed I had chills it's fantastic movie

9.8/10

Black butler season 1 & ovas & 2

Brilliant simply brilliant

The first season is brilliant the first time I saw it I thought Ou boy this is going to be funny dark and and the ovas was so funny i liked the 3rd ova where there talking about acting in the second season but the others was funny too,

I was worried about the second season I honestly thought we was going to have a bunch of episodes in the middle of the first season but I'm so dame glad that wasn't the case considering what happened at the end of season 1 but it worked out really well.

I like the second season but the first 6 episodes has all of ciles friends from the first season lau, elizbeth, ect ect ect but in the last 6 episodes you don't see them til the last episode and even the last episode is a sad one not cause of any one dying but that ciel leaves everyone with his butler

But still the animations great the characters are great the openings to season 2 is caughty and the second season is darker then the first is really awesome

9/10

If only it was a longer series

Last edited by a moderator:
Eiken

I like ecchi anime but when to much is to much I'm talking about giant boobs, to some it seems like paradise but it's redicules in this anime and silly and it's not intresting atall

6.5/10

teonzo said:
Probably my huge appreciation for this show is due to the fact that I was expecting much more from the series and much less from this OVA. This OVA just treats the franchise in the way I would have liked: based much more on emotions and less on spectacular things (long fightings, gags and so on).
Having recently read a large chunk of the manga, this is an issue that I had at times in that format, so I will definitely have to check out the OVAs.

ayase said:
But that's just the way some people do things, similar to the way some people like to list things they've watched in the viewing journal without any opinions (when MAL, a notepad file on their desktop or their memory would serve exactly the same purpose).
In some form of small defence of this practice (although I too enjoy reading opinions more than just lists), there is a small level of interest in being able to see what "the forum at large" is watching, especially if it is some non-current or otherwise niche show.

Fruits Basket. A comedy show with a reasonable storyline? I didn't think such a thing existed but this proved me wrong. Interesting characters and also funnier than I expected so I think I'll score it 9/10.

teonzo said:
ilmaestro said:
Having recently read a large chunk of the manga, this is an issue that I had at times in that format

Can you give some details, please?
It feels to me like the series was "forced" into a shounen style, the physical comedy and other random gags (whilst, I suppose, being something that you can go back to Tezuka if you were looking for someone to "blame" for the proliferation of this in series that don't necessarily need it) are pretty superfluous, and the fighting does not really benefit from the fantastical extents to which it stretches. Whereas the more reflective moments on the ideals behind the Ishinshishi and the Shinsengumi, as well as Kenshin's attitude towards war and violence, felt like the "real" series that just needed an outlet somewhere. I do love the Shinsengumi, though, which may color my impressions.

I haven't read the manga, so probably I missed some stuff too. But Reflections is heavily based on the series. There are a lot of little cross-references to various episodes, all these details are put at the right place and the right time of the OVA (at least from my point of view). Just for example, the place where Kenshin and Kaoru meet at the end of the OVA is the same place where occurred some major things in the series... this, the fireflies, the "eternal" game of searching finding leaving waiting contribute a lot to depict all the silent emotions on which this show is based.
The various flashbacks help to see what happened to the characters and what they felt. I liked this choice since it's character based, if they followed the timeline then it would have been much more difficult to show how the feelings of all the major characters developed during their fictional time. There is a logical progression on the choice of this structure, it's functional to build the pathos (and its crescendo) of the show.
About the character design, I much prefer this to the one of the series. It's more "serious" and sad, much more suitable to all the events that happened to those characters. Kenshin was still a teenager when he started to slay people, the fact that his appearance remained mostly the one of when he was a teen is significant to show that for him time just stopped after the events in Trust and Betrayal, his eyes (mostly vacating anywhere) are another sign of this, they are sad and empty. His appearance is also coherent to the one of Seijuro Hiko, who looked 20 when 40 and 40 when 60 (the Hiten Mitsurugi style was said to help people look young). The appearance of the boy from Trust and Betrayal is coherent to the rest of the show: he lost what was his life when he was a child, after that he spent all his time looking badly for revenge, his appearance just depicts how all those evil desires consumed his soul.
All these details were chosen wisely to tell a story where someone is always able to find positive values if he wants, no matter how deeply ****** and dark things happened in his past.

Interesting. I guess I should really give them another watch, as it's really been years since I've seen them. However seeing as I still haven't watched the series (which is the chunk in between trust &Betrayal and Reflections, right?) or read the manga, I'm guessing I still probably wouldn't be able to appreciate Reflections. For me Trust and Betrayal was almost too good. I think to come off of those more mature pieces and into the much more shonen-esque series would have been too disappointing for me.

so I will definitely have to check out the OVAs

Wait, you've never watched Trust & Betrayal, ilmae? That's crazy talk, your the guy who has seen everything. How could you have missed these classics?

I know! RuroKen was one of the biggest "holes" in my knowledge for the longest time, and I don't even know why. As I say, I read the manga recently (up until the end of the Shishio arc, as I heard it goes badly downhill from here), but have not got around to any of the anime yet.

Teo - perhaps I was unclear; that is how I felt about the manga.

ilmaestro said:
Teo - perhaps I was unclear; that is how I felt about the manga.

I misunderstood, because your description suited perfectly fot the anime series. So I assume the anime series is a really faithful transposition of the manga. About the series, the Shishio arc is by far the best part. After that there are 2 medium length arcs that are mediocre at best. If you want to watch the anime, I suppose you could just stick to the second season and avoid the rest.

Teo

Highschool of the Dead

I watched the first 3 episodes after coming home late and quite drunk, really liked them. Problem is I watched the remaining episodes while sober. This series can be resumed in this way: BOOBS, zombies being "killed", no story. Honestly I was expecting more gore and more tragedy, something totally over the top about violence. My suggestion is to watch it when you are pretty drunk since this is a brainless series.

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

Madlax

Shame that the whole series wasn't as good as the final few episodes. All that convoluted dialogue and shooting made it a worthwhile watch. However, the twist wasn't surprising and my least favourite character decided to finally gain an increment of personality. People keep comparing Madlax to Noir - but in my view they are completely different in tone and in quality. Noir is the better of the two. Overall, it's decent if you are willing to be dragged at snail's pace through the first 16 episodes.

Overall: 6.5/10

Cat planet cuties

Ummmm question what are people called when they like a girl in cat ears and a tail.

Anyways yeah I like it I love the fact there are bullets that makes non living things disappear ( nudity )^_^ but sadly you only see it 3 times, I love the fan servies it doesnt shuvenit it your face it teases you which I like * I don't have a problem * if it was was longer it would he awesome I'd watch it. The animations nice, the characters are likeable, the story's fun and it's a must for ecchi fans and those who like girls with cat ears and tails.

The charecter i like the most is The captin of the mother ship...........:.........reasons why I'l let you see why

I like it

8/10

i want a gun with those inorganic-matter-dissolving bullets

teonzo said:
About the series, the Shishio arc is by far the best part. After that there are 2 medium length arcs that are mediocre at best. If you want to watch the anime, I suppose you could just stick to the second season and avoid the rest.
I will bear that in mind, thanks.

Mardock Scramble (Director's Cut)

The visuals were amazing (did I expect anything less from a movie on blu-ray?), the story was seriously f---ed up (That guy with a pussy on his hand and the guy with breasts all over him?!) and Balot was easily the most likeable protagonist in recent years. I was hooked from the very beginning and I'm really tempted to watch it again soon (this time with the English dub; although Balot's Japanese "voice" is so cute, yet so emotionless at the same time).

The blu-ray case states that it is one of the best films of the cyberpunk genre. I would agree and would go so far as to say that it's one of the greatest anime movies I've seen. I just wish it didn't end on such a cliffhanger, as KazéUK are waiting for Sentai to dub the second film.

My only real complaint would be long wait for The Second Combustion and especially The Third Exhaust. I would mention that it was short, but I'm glad it didn't try and drag on.

I had to go and buy the original novel (well, novels, but Viz combined them all into one).

9/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back