PlanetAxel Goes Into Bankruptcy

I'm sure I've heard a story on here before of someone ordering from Allyourmusic and getting a massive customs/vat/whatever charge just because it was a short few pence over.

But for cheaper stuff under £15 definitely look out for them sometimes, haven't ever ordered anything more costly from them though!

MrLaserSharkKH said:
I'm sure I've heard a story on here before of someone ordering from Allyourmusic and getting a massive customs/vat/whatever charge just because it was a short few pence over.

But for cheaper stuff under £15 definitely look out for them sometimes, haven't ever ordered anything more costly from them though!

I think that was me (the 'few pence over' bit sounds familiar - I think it was around 65p).

Saying that I have used allyourmusic a few times and that was the only time I was hit with the customs charge.

what was the packaging like from them (allyourmusic) I only want to order the kai bluray season sets I think they come with a slip anyway so they shouldn't really get damaged

does anyone remember woolworths you know when they was closing down and they was getting raid of they stock by putting different thing in bags like a lucky dip and you had to pay a certain amount * i think it was 2-5 pounds per bag* it be awesome if they did that for there regulars

animefreak17 said:
does anyone remember woolworths you know when they was closing down and they was getting raid of they stock by putting different thing in bags like a lucky dip and you had to pay a certain amount * i think it was 2-5 pounds per bag* it be awesome if they did that for there regulars
I highly doubt that. They don't even have a working email address now. I imagine their stock will either be returned to the suppliers, or sold to other places for cheap.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
Except few (if any) other retailers are actually doing what they were doing - offering products from all over the world to anywhere else in the world, priced in local currencies with helpful region code information at reasonable prices and without the hassle of customs...
I agree with what you said there except perhaps the bolded part. I found I could never trust their currency conversion; it was always a little bit "off", making their products seem cheaper than they actually were. My last couple of orders were exactly the same price in the two currencies they accepted, US and Canadian Dollars, despite the Canadian Dollar being a better rate for someone paying with UK currency (but still not as cheap as their GBP prices claimed).
True, but it was still nice to be able to see roughly what a product would cost in your local currency. YesAsia still do that as well, I suppose.

The things I'll miss most though are the good prices and the knowledge that when I placed an order there weren't going to be any import charges. UP1 delivers on the latter, but their prices could be better. Perhaps if they start getting more business in the wake of Axel's demise they'll be able to bring them down a little?

ussjtrunks said:
what was the packaging like from them (allyourmusic) I only want to order the kai bluray season sets I think they come with a slip anyway so they shouldn't really get damaged

It will probably be OK, the packaging is (normally) sort of two large squares of bubble-wrap paper pressed together around the outside and tightly around the shape of the DVD case. This has, occassionaly, caused damage to the box itself, but never the artwork or anything, so the box can easily be replaced if it does happen. I cannot recall ordereing anything larger than about 2 DVD's width from them, so do not know about larger items such as boxsets.

I must say I was lucky to have ordered all Fairy Tail Vol 1 to 4 and Tales of Vesperia on Blu-ray which arrived today (ordered on the 9th and shipped on the 12th of June), because I was thinking of ordering at the end of the month!

I never had any issues with Planet Axel, the prices were decent and with no extra cost on importing they were fantastic to purchase from.

There are some good suggestions in this thread on who to turn too next cheers guys!

Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:
I highly doubt that. They don't even have a working email address now. I imagine their stock will either be returned to the suppliers, or sold to other places for cheap.

Yes i'd expect the trustee in bankruptcy to return any stock that can be returned and then sell on the remaining stock for the best possible price they can get, their aim is to get what money they can out of the bankruptcy for any creditors.

Rui said:
Otaku.co.uk are decent too, though I don't really use them much. They have a much better website design and are also reliable and established, but somehow I just don't find them as easy to deal with. I used to use them a lot back in the old days when I knew the staffmembers' names.
Do you know if Alex Mclaren and Jonathan Weeks are still at Otaku? Alex was always friendly and helpful and I was acquainted with Jonathan before he started at the UK branch. I think I was offered the same job for that matter (but it would have meant moving to London).

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
Otaku.co.uk are decent too, though I don't really use them much. They have a much better website design and are also reliable and established, but somehow I just don't find them as easy to deal with. I used to use them a lot back in the old days when I knew the staffmembers' names.
Do you know if Alex Mclaren and Jonathan Weeks are still at Otaku? Alex was always friendly and helpful and I was acquainted with Jonathan before he started at the UK branch. I think I was offered the same job for that matter (but it would have meant moving to London).

Jonathan Weeks is still there and kicking - Alex I believe is vaguely involved on the Japan-side still too.

Andrew

Rightstuf being the way they are, this news will presumably leave the assorted Amazon Marketplace sellers as the de facto choice for inexpensive imports.

PlanetAxel were similar to other North American retailers, save for the small matter of their ingenious and sorely-missed VAT loophole.

I think my current import plan is to use a combination of amazon.com and UP1.
Depending on which one works out cheaper.

Ive been able to buy Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray from amazon.com for £17.88. £6.62 was for AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping with a expected delivery of the 27th.
Thats a saving of just over a fiver compared to UP1.

The good thing about amazon.com these days is they will take a guess of the custom charge, and if it turns out less refund the difference. So no unexpected extras at least.

Yrag86 said:
I think my current import plan is to use a combination of amazon.com and UP1.
Depending on which one works out cheaper.

I'll be going back to using UP1 & amazon for my imports as well (I used UP1 for most of my purchases before I started using Planetaxel anyway).

Back