[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Feeling slightly foolish about having posted a link to the Discotek lineup in the general news thread, as I didn't realise this one existed.

At any rate, I'm over the moon that they've picked up Robot Carnival, as I've wanted to own that for years.

Discotek has responded with regards to the Crunchyroll titles:
Right now we are allowed to release DVD only with Japanese language and English subtitles. Someone else MAY do a dub. It might be CR, or it might be another company. Same thing with Blu Ray. Or we may do a dub and a Blu Ray one day. We are just getting this out on the market for people who don't mind DVD and Japanese w/subs now so fans can own if they want. Anything else will be announced in the future.

Judging by this response, Discotek wants to get the shows out there for those who only want the Japanese language and don't mind DVDs first. I understand this and I don't mind their decision, however I feel they should at least make a deal with a dubbing studio (heck, at least use the same company who's working on Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone if it goes well) and/or get some support from other distributors (like Anime Limited) to help out.

If Crunchyroll offered a similar deal to Anime Limited for the UK and be able to co-operate with Discotek to help make the Blu-ray, English dub and packaging/on-disc content for each other then that would be awesome. Especially if CR are the ones who actually have the home rights to titles like Hunter x Hunter, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, My Little Monster and Parasyte (just a guess by the way, who knows if CR actually have the home rights to these titles).

Licensing direct from CR is a very interesting concept, but it feels shortsighted - I kean, if CR are already offering subbed HD streams, what more does a DVD clone offer? For me, BR and an English dub is where the long term value is for a show - opening it up to a wider audience.

NormanicGrav said:
Judging by this response, Discotek wants to get the shows out there for those who only want the Japanese language and don't mind DVDs first. I understand this and I don't mind their decision, however I feel they should at least make a deal with a dubbing studio (heck, at least use the same company who's working on Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone if it goes well) and/or get some support from other distributors (like Anime Limited) to help out.

Yeah - being a fan of dubs, I'd like to see this happen. Get Bang Zoom! back in the biz! I want more Mary McGlynn and Steve Blum in my anime, dammit!

I didn't even watch Free! but bloomin' heck, that's one muddled up U.S. release. I wonder why talks with FUNimation didn't go through though? Could it have been Crunchyroll's unwillingness to deal with them, FUNimation demanding terms that Crunchyroll didn't like, or an unfortunate victim in a deal with Discotek that had to be completed within a deadline?

Considering Discotek's statement though, I wonder if it's still possible for FUNimation to pick up the rights to do a blu-ray only, dubbed release? (Although would that then have to be dub-only?).

I can't believe they also licensed "Recently My Sister Is Unusual". I watched that series out of morbid curiosity and well...it was very odd, to put it lightly.

There's actually a heck of a lot in Discotek's recent release announcements that makes me scratch my head. I mean, that's an INSANE number of acquisitions... and I'm interested in maybe two or three of them.

But that's cool. Diff'rent strokes for different folks, and all that. I just wonder if there may be a broader strategy in play here. Like, maybe by going for a licenses like these and sales in volume, they might be looking to chase bigger licenses down the line. I'm not at a sure how that side of the anime / DVD marketing biz works, though, so I may be blowing smoke here.

Joshawott said:
Considering Discotek's statement though, I wonder if it's still possible for FUNimation to pick up the rights to do a blu-ray only, dubbed release? (Although would that then have to be dub-only?).

I'm not even going to consider this; the very thought of it makes me want to punch something and it's exactly what the bickering children involved in the US licensing process would come up with as a solution xD

R

Another Discotek response:
- I have a question, does this also apply to all of the other Crunchyroll streamed anime titles like Strike the Blood and Galilei Donna? Being only allowed to release the said titles DVD only with Japanese language and English subtitles? Or this is only the special case for Free! only?

- All Crunchyroll titles are like that for now. The titles licensed through Crunchyroll will have their logo on the packaging and also at the intro movie

Viz Media have announced that they have been named the 'Master Merchandise' for North America with regards to the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012+) anime series.

They even unveiled a new logo for the series:

jojosbizarreadventure_anime_logo.jpg

Hmm.. I get this feeling that this is actually one step closer to getting the home video rights to the series.

If this does end up with them releasing the TV series (which I expect they will), I bloody well hope they don't let Subatomic digital anywhere near it.
Sailor Moon looked ****, Gargantia looked awful, Morbito looked awful. They should let Justin handle it. His releases for Viz are great.

I have the Japanese release of the first two arcs but I hope they manage to get a decent release together by the time they get to Stardust Crusaders.

R

I remember last year when CR had 3 episodes of Jojo's dubbed. Did they ever announce who'd produced that if if they'd done the whole series?

Yakumo said:
Please come with English subs...Please come with English subs...Please come with English subs...

The blu-ray release of Evangelion TV series is set for a 26 August 2015 release date.

I just dread the possibility of having to wait an interminable amount of time for an North American, UK, or Australian release, whichever comes first.

Didn't they confirm already that it wouldn't be coming with English subs? Am sure I saw some people on Twitter saying stuff to that effect anyway.

That's pretty hilarious. If there was anyone out there that still defended Viz's ****** handling of Sailor Moon Blurays then this should show them them truly how much of a botch job it was. It's almost like Toei are giving them the middle finger too.
It'll be pretty great if Madman or someone in the UK get access to the new HD masters as well as the new dub and did a proper BD - or even DVD release.

NormanicGrav said:
Here's a comparison - Viz Media's Blu-ray on the left and the re-broadcast master on the right.
And the re-broadcast master looks like it's had a metric whackload of bleach poured all over it, and in my honest opinion everyone is making a mountain out of this image quality molehill since joe average with his budget TV is unlikely to ever notice a majority of the issues when in playback (heck, in my opinion there's worse picture quality on most freeview channels and I can notice that where most of the issues are unnoticeable with the exception of some shadowing issues in the opening titles on the second part and a bit of graining as well).

Looks like One Piece Season 7 (Summit War: Sabaody arc most likely) has been picked up by Funimation as one of the characters voiced in that arc has been cast.

10959702_783226661758896_7584309284798806812_n.jpg

Sentai Filmworks have announced the English dub cast for The World God Only Knows III: Goddesses.

Strangely enough (or, in fact in an unsurprising move) Sentai have once again changed the dub cast for some characters. Seriously stop.

Director
Chris Ayres

English Voice Cast
Keima Katsuragi - Chris Patton
Elsie - Luci Christian
Haqua - Jessica Calvello
Tenri Ayukawa / Diana - Juliet Simmons
Kanon Nakagawa / Apollo - Brittney Karbowski
Tsukiyo Kujo / Vulcanus - Caitlynn French
Yui Goido / Mars - Krystal LaPorte
Shiori Shiomiya / Minerva - Hilary Haag
Ayumi Takahara / Mercury - Elizabeth Bunch