[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

They should really include English subs, English dub but lossless, not lossy and the signs/song track to go with the English audio. I reckon they would make so much more money from it if they did, given how big of a fan base Evangelion has.

I think this is where the Japanese missed a trick with the two GITS Blu-ray boxsets.

black1blade said:
Yeah isn't everyone buying the hong kong or korean GITS blu rays?
It's the Korean Blurays. The JP BDs only have the English dub.
The Kr sets are just the Japanese BD Boxes with Korean translated menus and English/Korean subtitles added. The audio options are still the same (JP TrueHD 5.1/PCM 2.0 & Eng DD 5.1)

The S.A.C Korean set is limited to 300, correct? They had an initial run of 700 and that's the number of S.A.C 2nd GIG is getting if I'm correct so I assume they'll do another 300 print run for that too once they sell out of the initial print, with the only difference being the holographic card stating so. Wonder why they haven't sold out of 1st GIG yet, 300 isn't a lot...
As for Eva...

h4P13Qm.png
I normally would order the normal edition, as that seems to always be the pure edition, they way it was intended package wise, but I'm guessing like the Amazon.co.jp Bebop Set, it'll be limited so I might as well go for it and if I prefer the normal set I'll just go for that as pics and more info come out. Limited sets rarely go down in price where I can see the normal set getting cheaper by release.

Media Blasters are indeed going to release the controversial Yosuga no Sora anime series (entitled Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude Where We Are Least Alone) on DVD subtitle only in North America. The show will be $29.98 SRP and scheduled for 26th May.

ALqVvx2.png

Those fonts could have done with some work.

(I googled the show and the first things that come up are 'twins' 'incest' 'ecchi' - gosh.

NormanicGrav said:
Media Blasters are indeed going to release the controversial Yosuga no Sora anime series (entitled Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude Where We Are Least Alone) on DVD subtitle only in North America. The show will be $29.98 SRP and scheduled for 26th May.

ALqVvx2.png

I wish I could see the faces of the innocents who blind buy the show. Poor sods.

Awful cover (despite the nice picture). I'd still buy it except that Media Blasters are little more than thieves at this point, starting disc replacement campaigns for crippled releases and never providing new discs (or returning the original ones) even after half a year.

R

I do wonder if there's scope for a company like that or Diskotek here in the UK - essentially someone who picks up all the OOP titles that aren't popular enough for Anime Ltd/Manga/MVM to run with - but I suppose the sales would be so minimal in the UK, it wouldn't make financial sense for them. So many of ADV/Revelation/MVM's older stuff is still out of print, it's frustrating to think some of these shows will likely never be available again domestically.

Yet MORE new licenses announced by Discotek onn their Facebook page!

The big one is Robot Carnival, but others are:

Earl And Fairy
Shining Tears X Wind
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (This is the one on my shopping list)
Galilei Donna
Seha Girls
Strike The Blood
Recently My Sister Is Unusual

and:

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Have to say, while I love the volume of new stuff they've announced so far this year, there's not much that actually grabs my interest. Obviously, your mileage may vary considerably.

Note that chances of dubs on these releases, unless one previously existed, are zero.

I'm happy for Discotek's new lineup but sad about Free! - the dub isn't a problem but I'm going to struggle to justify picking up season one on DVD then the sequel on BD. Might just skip it entirely until the companies involved stop being silly and give it a proper release.

R

HdE said:

Earl And Fairy
Shining Tears X Wind
Galilei Donna
Seha Girls
Strike The Blood

and:

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Have to say, while I love the volume of new stuff they've announced so far this year, there's not much that actually grabs my interest. Obviously, your mileage may vary considerably.

Note that chances of dubs on these releases, unless one previously existed, are zero.

As much as I like Discotek for their selected titles, they really need to get the Crunchyroll titles out on Blu-ray and with an English dub because they're going to lose sales (a lot). Imagine if Discotek managed to get Hunter x Hunter 2011 and released it sub-only on DVD, yeah that won't sell well.

On the positive note, Discotek do tend to get nice on-disc content and they're slowly going into Blu-ray (Unico, Jin-Roh and Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie now out on Blu-ray while Cagliostro, Gravestone, Magic Girl Rayearth planned) now that Street Fighter II, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Night of the Galactic Road are also planned.

NormanicGrav said:
HdE said:

Earl And Fairy
Shining Tears X Wind
Galilei Donna
Seha Girls
Strike The Blood

and:

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

As much as I like Discotek for their selected titles, they really need to get the Crunchyroll titles out on Blu-ray and with an English dub because they're going to lose sales (a lot). Imagine if Discotek managed to get Hunter x Hunter 2011 and released it sub-only on DVD, yeah that won't sell well.

On the positive note, Discotek do tend to get nice on-disc content and they're slowly going into Blu-ray (Unico, Jin-Roh and Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie now out on Blu-ray while Cagliostro, Gravestone, Magic Girl Rayearth planned) now that Street Fighter II, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Night of the Galactic Road are also planned.

I wonder if their StreetFighter II will have the butchered dub that Kaze released or the Un edited version. I'd love VHD Bloodlust on Blu-ray.

My take on Discotek's current slate of releases is that they're continuing to do what they've been doing so well for a while now.

I'd prefer to see less of the obscure stuff, just because I wonder how profitable a lot of it is going to be for them. About 70% of these announcements are for shows I've never heard of - but then, what do I know? The stuff I DO recognise in their announcements is certainly choice. I have a feeling Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust should do good business for them.

I'm personally quite happy if they and other Stateside distributors DON'T dive into blu ray releases in a big way, though - but only because DVDs are much easier for me to import and deal with. I've no way of playing Region A BDs.

I'm the opposite. DVD-only is fine if it's a show where they're bringing something out we wouldn't otherwise have - like all their retro stuff. There's no BD in Japan anyway for a lot of it and no other company in their right mind would be producing a BD in the US, so I'm happy to buy it all on DVD.

With something like Free!, this is a major step backwards and a case of holding fans to ransom. A company which would have released it on BD (and with a dub, not that I personally care) wanted those rights and couldn't get them because Crunchyroll had them. Crunchyroll refused to work with that company - or any other company which handles BD as standard - and went with Discotek in what looks like some kind of exclusive distribution arrangement. This is great for the weaker Crunchyroll-owned titles which would have had no chance for release otherwise, but it has royally screwed over the Free! fans who want to watch the show in the same quality as the stream (or the same quality as its own second season). They have a choice of either watching a (frankly speaking) awful version of the first season then a bilingual HD version of the sequel, skipping the first season entirely, or running the risk of being forced to double dip - there's no opportunity to simply own the show in a consistent format. It sucks, and it's all down to corporate politics between Crunchyroll and FUNimation. I won't be supporting Discotek's mediocre Free! release and I hope it will do horribly and force all of the companies involved to reconsider their approach.

(I also won't be buying FUNimation's release of the second season as it makes no sense to own it without the first, and I'm sick of the companies acting like children.)

R

Hey Andrew/Animatsu, if either of you could pick up both seasons of Free and release them in a consistent manner (I don't care if S1 doesn't have a dub as I don't watch dubs), you'll get a lot of business.

Rui said:
I'm the opposite. DVD-only is fine if it's a show where they're bringing something out we wouldn't otherwise have - like all their retro stuff.

Yeah - there was some stuff about this kind of thing on Discotek's Facebook page. It seems they're considering going down a crowd-funding route as a means of getting some shows that might otherwise prove financially unsound out there.

Not an approach I'm keen on, to be honest. I don't like any strategy that seems to channel anime toward the elite few who can support such a venture. It' low risk, sure, but the way they seem to be interested in pursuing also seems like it could be low return.

On the BD / DVD thing... I'm kind of conflicted. Having had a few things on BD, I must say I do appreciate the hike in picture quality. But it's not by any means a deal breaker if I can't get a show I want on blu ray. I kind of get the impression that DVD and blu ray releases are going to exist side by side for a long time, anyway.

Back