[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

black1blade said:
So that screws non americans over as it only ships to america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's annoying. I don't care if they sell the US versions with domestic shipping only, but reducing the appeal of the Japanese release (and sometimes also blocking the streams) from everywhere but those two regions is a trend I would like to see nipped in the bud. I still haven't been able to 'finish' the KnK movies because my partner needs subtitles to enjoy anime and they stopped supporting foreigners with the standalone release of that last one.

They know a lot of foreigners bought sets like KnK and F/Z from Aniplex USA - I talked to DLK about it. Why don't they want our money any more for F/SN? It's not even as good.

R

Yeah I know. I watched fan sub mirai and it wasn't very good imo though. I know that outside america international market is very small but still I don't think they would mind the extra 100 purchases. If it's going to be a 50% increase through Up1 then I probably wont buy the HF movies as they come out.

black1blade said:
Yeah I know. I watched fan sub mirai and it wasn't very good imo though. I know that outside america international market is very small but still I don't think they would mind the extra 100 purchases. If it's going to be a 50% increase through Up1 then I probably wont buy the HF movies as they come out.

Given how tiny the niche market in the US is (check out the huge numbers of supporters for each of these titles http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/sho ... post284174 ) and indeed, in Japan for non-blockbuster shows, you'd think they'd want every otaku with disposable income on the planet buying their releases, not just those from a couple of select countries.

I will keep filling in the buyer survey cards which come with Japanese releases until I go blue in the face. I hope one day my voice will be loud enough to drown out those who push for these exclusionary policies.

R

So if the market in Japan is 1% of the 1% crazy otaku pop then the amount in the US is probably another 1% so yeah rest of the world is probably another 1% on top of american release. Are you writing the cards in Japanese?

Did any of you guys see the MASSIVE slew of shows Discotek has announced over on their Facebook page?

There's a lot of retro stuff, although truthfully, very little of it appeals to me personally. I have a feeling certain board regulars might have a much more enthusiastic reception, though!

Just for everyone's convenience, here's what's being touted on the company's page:

Ceres, Celestial Legend
Monster Farm
Legendary Armour Samurai Troopers
Chi's Sweet Home
Bokurano
Violence Jack OVA collection
Flame of Recca
Lupin III Napoleon's Dictionary
Love.Com
Jin Roh (blu ray)

AND!

Comic party.

Quite a list, eh? BUT THERE'S MORE! A slightly older set of announcementss included:
Iria The Animation
(Going to be interessting to see how this compares to MVM's edition)
Yowamushi Pedal
Go Nagai World

AND!

Toei's Little Mermaid.

Bokurano's the only one of the bunch that personally made me raise an eyebrow, really, but Discotek's commitment to putting out older material really is refreshing.

I'm wondering if these discs will play without issue on region 2 DVD players. Everything else I've had from Discotek has worked in my trusty (and finnicky) old Panasonic just fine, my most recent Discotek purchase being the Captain Harlock complete collection.

I really love these guys!

I'm very impressed with the way Discotek has been handling their titles, especially with the Lupin series.

In fact I'm quite excited for the Blu-ray release of Clamp's Magic Knight Rayearth scheduled for 2016.

They're definitely a label to watch. I've had my eye on them for a while and their licenses have always seemed pretty savvy. This latest salvo contains a lot of stuff that I'm personally not especially excited by, but it shows they're going for diversity. LOVE that the focus of their stuff has been retro shows and classics.

Really hoping this means they're going to establish themselves as major contenders on the US scene over the years to come.

Discotek has definitely been steadily building up a good reputation. I've been buying most of their releases for a while so I'm just going to continue; the old rescues do nothing for me, but it's downright exciting that they've managed to secure a hot show like Yowamushi Pedal. Hopefully it will sell well and banish the curse of sports shows in R1...

black1blade said:
So if the market in Japan is 1% of the 1% crazy otaku pop then the amount in the US is probably another 1% so yeah rest of the world is probably another 1% on top of american release. Are you writing the cards in Japanese?

Yep, though I think the words of paranoid anti-import UK/US/Australian distributors carries more weight than mine. It looks as though this UBW fiasco might be a false alarm though (whew) - probably Aniplex USA trying to protect their special import price and being dumb.

R

Rui said:
Discotek has definitely been steadily building up a good reputation. I've been buying most of their releases for a while so I'm just going to continue; the old rescues do nothing for me, but it's downright exciting that they've managed to secure a hot show like Yowamushi Pedal. Hopefully it will sell well and banish the curse of sports shows in R1...

I think what's interesting is that they're continuing to ply their trade in (mostly) older shows while pushing product diversity and testing the water with some slightly more contemporary stuff as well. While a lot of what they've just announced doesn't float my boat, you can't accuse the line up of being 'boring'.

They're certainly ticking boxes for me!

Funimation and ANN did a podcast together and WTK of Fandom Post has summed up the important notes mentioned:
Some of the notes:
- Biggest 2014 release: DBZ Battle of Gods (sold better than Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bebop)
- Bayonetta: Bloody Fate sold very well
- Small/mid-range titles: Devil is a Part-Timer!, Deadman Wonderland , PSYCHO-PASS, High School DxD NEW
- Fairy Tail sales still driving

- Underperforming titles: HAL, A Certain Magical Index (high streaming #s), A Certain Scientific Railgun (high streaming #s); did Index S2 on BD based on fan feedback
- The Future Diary DVD didn't do well; Blu-ray coming (possibly late summer)

- Which show gets LE? A: Based on audience and materials (artwork/assets).
- Cowboy Bebop another LE version down the line? A: no reprint of LEs, another version may not be out of the question in future

- things to look forward in 2015: Space Dandy, more updates on FUNimation.com streaming service/apps
- PS4 app: early 2015

- Broadcast dub: chosing Laughing Under the Cloud - different genre & promising
- Broadcast dub (more coming this winter season - still finalizing details) - success (immediate subscription increase after announcement launch)

- Eva 3.33: no official release date but should be later in 2015; reason is still the same: LINK
- Eva TV BD: no comment (Rojas), hoping (Adam)
- Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! rights? A: can only confirm what was announced (streaming); can't confirm what rights PONYCAN USA has
- Cowboy Bebop BD why was frame rate modified? Clarine Harp (passed along to Adam): Encoding efficiency; most titles: interlace to progress
- Download to own: stay tune (may or may not happen; has been discussed)
- Home video release OOP doesn't automatically equate to loss of license
- BEI license rescues: could see some later in 2015
- Tatami Galaxy sub only home video release: no consideration so far
- Fafner Exodus didn't get picked up; original series do well? Adam: did fine enough
- Lain BD banding issues, fixed on future release? A (Clarine Harp, passed along to Adam): JP home video release/material has banding issues, process from FUNi that highlighted this more; no plans for re-release
- Yamato 2199 (meant as Yamato Resurrection): may still have as far as I know, no update
- digital copies on BD/DVD? A: discussed, no answer

Wow, Index underperformed on BD even at that aggressive price point? There was a massive amount of interest in it from online buzz...

Oh wait, maybe that means the DVD underperformed. In which case, good.

Dragon Ball fans are incredible, as always.

R

Rui said:
Wow, Index underperformed on BD even at that aggressive price point? There was a massive amount of interest in it from online buzz...

R

But isn't the Index release a BD/DVD combo? I don't think there's a DVD only or BD only release, is there?

Rui said:

R

They probably forgot to mention which format they were referring to so it would make sense that it would be the DVD only sets given the LEs were still around by the time Index and Railgun Season 1 Combos were released.

Y2Johnny said:
Rui said:

R

But isn't the Index release a BD/DVD combo? I don't think there's a DVD only or BD only release, is there?
Season 1 of index was originally released DVD only in 2 parts at the end of 2012 with the combo version coming out two months ago.

Only season 2 of index was released as a 2 part DVD/BD combo set.

Funimation April line up is revealed, and for the first time an old Anime Classic can get a Blu-ray release!

.hack//Legend of the Twilight - Complete Series (DVD)
Black Butler - Complete Series [Season 1]: Anime Classics (Blu-ray/DVD)
D-Frag! - Complete Series: Standard & Limited Edition (Blu-ray/DVD)
Freezing Vibration - Complete Series [Season 2]: Standard & Limited Edition (Blu-ray/DVD)
Noir - Complete Series: Anime Classics (Blu-ray)
One Piece - Collection 12 (DVD)
One Piece - Thriller Bark Arc Part 4 [Season 6] (DVD)

Noir marks the first Anime Classic title to receive a Blu-ray release. This may mean that other DVD only Anime Classics like Ergo Proxy could get a Blu-ray re-release in the future.

Cover art plus other specs will be up on the Cover Art thread soon.

UPDATE - Aniplex have announced some interesting news:

Durarara!! Season 1 will be getting a Standard Edition Blu-ray arriving April 7th.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion will be receiving a domestic Limited Edition release as a Blu-ray, DVD and Soundtrack CD combo pack in addition to standard Blu-ray and DVD for April 7th also.

The next Monogatari series: Second Season arc, Koimonogatari will be available 24th February.

Nisekoi False Love Season 1 volumes 3 and 4 will be available 31st March and 26th May respectively.

Kill la Kill volume 5 will be available in the usual Blu-ray/DVD (with Bonus DVD) Limited Edition, standard Blu-ray and DVD for 28th April.

Well this weekend has been pretty big thanks to Otakon and a few other stuff. Funimation have announced they have licensed more shows for home video release:

Dragonar Academy [Seikoku no Dragonar] - Blu-ray/DVD combo pack in 2015

Date A Live II - Blu-ray/DVD combo pack in 2015

No-Rin [Nourin] - No details as of yet

So far the following titles have yet to receive home video rights or are in limbo from Funimation:
- 009 Re:Cyborg
- C³ -Cube x Cursed x Curious-
- Kingdom
- Pretear
- Rainbow
- Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection
- The Tatami Galaxy

And these titles (TV/OVAs shows that is, not including rescue titles) have home video rights confirmed but have yet to be released:
- Barakamon
- Black Butler: Book of Circus
- Black Butler: Book of Murder
- BlazBlue: Alter Memory
- Brothers Conflict
- Buddy Complex
- Daimidaler: Prince vs Penguin Empire [Kenzen Robo Daimidaler]
- Danganronpa: The Animation
- Free! Eternal Summer
- Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation
- Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.
- Maken-Ki! Two