[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

AL has also stated that Your Name was seperated to not cross retailers. And that's not even having that much of a price discrepancy.
(Which I thoughg was a pity, I'd love to have had the French dub, too. But with packaging being completely identical buying it twice becomes odd.)

If the release gets a similar price in different countries, that may work.
But several publishers had bad experiences with customers reverse-importing their discs.
Black Lagoon? Combo-disc for UK+FR+ES+IT+DE. But the publisher (Kazé) charges german customers 2-3x more than italian customers (and that is still cheap by german standards...)

And as customers realised this, publishers avoid multi-lingual combo-discs at least for popular series. Sometimes they even create a new master for reprints to prevent reverse-importing - like the spanish re-release of Black Lagoon or the french re-release of Elfen Lied.

Kazé left the italian market because of Black Lagoon, it sold horribly, not only because the italian didn't like the show but rather because the dub was butchered. To sum it up, some of the italian dub was done in a french studio, with french actors. I'll say no more.
People need to understand that there's more than just the cardboard but the content of the discs too. The price difference between each country can fluctuate for many reason other than having to be on par with each country standard. I mean, the italian customer is not supposed to pay for the good german dub (and dubs are expensive in germany). The french one isn't paying for the italian or german dub either, etc.

German dubs aren't that expensive - the real difference is: 98% of Anime released in Germany on DVD/BD gets a dub. This also includes shows where low sales can be expected. If you expect to sell e.g. only 2000 units, the dubbing has a significant impact on the pricings...
US- or French publishers would just pass on the dub in this case ;) And in Italy they would just pass on the release at all (or share the costs with a tv-channel)

And btw: Kazé is back in Italy with Nisekoi (DVD-only, sub-only)

Doesn't back up what I've found regarding dub pricing. Also a show selling 2000 units? That will totally get a dub in France. 2000 is considered a poor seller in Germany.
If Kazé is back in Italy (not really) it's just because they have that Nisekoi license for the whole Europe and they didn't manage to sublicense it to Dynit or Yamato Video. Missing a market completly might not be worthwile so they made a bare bone, DVD only, sub-only release. Just see how desperate it is.

s99klDC.jpg

CITY HUNTER Blu-ray Disc BOX
List Price
: ¥ 54,000 (£380)
Release Date: 30/01/2019
Number of discs: 7
Episodes: 51

Oh sweet it's finally coming to Blu-ray. I know City Hunter is a cult classic among the anime community so I hope it gets picked up. The only issue is who exactly has the rights; Aniplex or Sunrise.

TV series of City hunter was never dubbed, old ADV license which lasted what seems like 5 mins, it was picked up the same time as Macross, which also didn't hang around long, They only had a short term deal for the TV series of CH, the movies and TV specials were dubbed though, always living in hope somebody in the English speaking parts of the world would license Angel Heart but alas so far nope.

I am complaining because everyone acts like AL is the be all and end all when it comes to films. I also know AL will have stock at MCM so we will get it eariler anyway

That doesn't even make sense. Literally *no one* said that. At this point, you are literally making up arguments to fight against *nobody*.
Well learn to listen to subtext Its quite clear what people think of AL. And im the anthesis of it, as im a AL "hater"
And it wasn't a "Complaint" It was a observation and put in a jokey manner.

Well learn to listen to subtext Its quite clear what people think of AL. And im the anthesis of it, as im a AL "hater"
And it wasn't a "Complaint" It was a observation and put in a jokey manner.

The way you seem to be against everything AL say or do, I'm not sure you can get away with saying 'Haha, it was only a joke', and by how defensive you are about it, you clearly aren't joking that much. People like AL's releases, I'm not sure why you take such an issue with that fact.

Back