[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

The way you seem to be against everything AL say or do, I'm not sure you can get away with saying 'Haha, it was only a joke', and by how defensive you are about it, you clearly aren't joking that much. People like AL's releases, I'm not sure why you take such an issue with that fact.
Im negative to the attitude this let them off attitude and the arrogance people have and they borderline insult me for complaining how I choose to spend my money. Wanting to own a show but not a CE what fangled idea is this I dont know....

You know Fireworks has a SE so I am happy I aint "Forced" into a CE for it
But **** it im never happy ofc I aint

I mean, you did just complain about the release date of the film being 6 days behind America, so I'm not sure you can get away with saying that.

Im negative to the attitude this let them off attitude and the arrogance people have and they borderline insult me for complaining how I choose to spend my money. Wanting to own a show but not a CE what fangled idea is this I dont know....

I'm not sure people let them off with everything, if they do it's because there's either a good reason behind it they can't do anything about, such as Re:Zero's discs, or because they'll try in good faith to put it right, be it a replacement scheme, or vouchers and what not. None of the other anime distributors come close to being able to match AL in either customer service or scope of releases. Also, Standard Editions do come out eventually, so no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Pretty sure we've been through this before.

I mean, you did just complain about the release date of the film being 6 days behind America, so I'm not sure you can get away with saying that.
I was more pointing it out as its overseas news
If it was a dig I would put in ALs thread and tag Andrew and moan but I didnt so...
All was Yay in a sarcastic manner and stuff happened

I'm not sure people let them off with everything, if they do it's because there's either a good reason behind it they can't do anything about, such as Re:Zero's discs, or because they'll try in good faith to put it right, be it a replacement scheme, or vouchers and what not. None of the other anime distributors come close to being able to match AL in either customer service or scope of releases. Also, Standard Editions do come out eventually, so no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Pretty sure we've been through this before.
I get told delays is "Be Patient" Or AL got better
So why when the first release ive ordered in 6 months gets delayed by 2 weeks its like AL has never changed.
Re0 I have seen people defend likewise Your Name. And secretly putting a replacement scheme on a forum and making people send back their set is very "helpful" especially for their biggest release ever.
"Eventually" so why can sentai, FUNi AL with films in cinemas do SE and CEs so same days not force customers to suffer cos they liked a show but not £40 much. And EBs if you miss them you dont want to pay full price so can be helpful and not at the same. And we've repeated this arguments because NOTHING HAS CHANGED. They havent improved they've got worse with E7 Hi Evo and now no DVD "SEs" for sound, Amanchu,Kiznaiver I can go on. So literally its CE or wait a unknown amount of time I would love if AL made a rule 6 months for a SE or something that would make me happy. Lucky Star has been OOP 6 months and now getting a SE. Gundam Rec in G likewise except no SE yet. Its not like giving a SE timeframe would hurt AL.

So why when the first release ive ordered in 6 months gets delayed by 2 weeks its like AL has never changed.
I mean, you can't act like AL are the only company that do delays. MVM recently pushed back almost their entire August slate, and Manga have had copious push backs in the past, with the likes of Kinmoza and such. It's just part of the business, you make plans, they sometimes go awry. AL probably have the most justifiable delays out of all the anime companies in the UK, as at least they're making unique CEs, not just cloning. No it's not ideal, but it's one of those things that can't really be helped.

Re0 I have seen people defend likewise Your Name. And secretly putting a replacement scheme on a forum and making people send back their set is very "helpful" especially for their biggest release ever.
Reason for this one is because most mainstream audiences probably didn't notice or care about the quality. Your Name was their biggest release because it was their most commercial and accessible, only videophile weebs are the ones who are going to really give a crap.

"Eventually" so why can sentai, FUNi AL with films in cinemas do SE and CEs so same days not force customers to suffer cos they liked a show but not £40 much.
This is simply down to supply and demand. The US is a much bigger market, and will have to cater to more types of customers. Anime in the UK doesn't sell half as much, so if a company doesn't see an appetite for a CE, then they're probably not going to bother with an SE, and the CE price will go down, and anyone who was waiting for a SE that isn't coming can then happily buy it at a lower price. The UK market seems to gobble up CEs anyway, and the hardcore fans are clearly the ones being catered to. If they were gating something like Naruto behind expensive CEs, you may have more of a point, but I don't see much potential for something such as Sound! needing a SE right out the gate.

And EBs if you miss them you dont want to pay full price so can be helpful and not at the same. And we've repeated this arguments because NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
You're right, nothing has changed, but I'm not sure that much really has to.

They havent improved they've got worse with E7 Hi Evo and now no DVD "SEs" for sound, Amanchu,Kiznaiver I can go on. So literally its CE or wait a unknown amount of time I would love if AL made a rule 6 months for a SE or something that would make me happy. Lucky Star has been OOP 6 months and now getting a SE. Gundam Rec in G likewise except no SE yet. Its not like giving a SE timeframe would hurt AL.

Much like @Jaysgba said, you complain that they announce dates too far ahead and can't meet them, but at the same time argue they don't give dates far enough in advance. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
I imagine the simple answer is soon after the LE goes OOP in most cases. You can assume they'll get one out the door in half a year, it won't be that hard.
So why does Black Butler have one or Prison school. And why does a few OOP titles have none listed and taken months. There is no reasoning atm which I why I wanted one

Lucky Star is also Funi, so that doesn't wash, unless AL licensed it direct from Japan. I also abhor the SE time frames but for different reasons, mostly it does seem to be a random dart in a calender when things get released but as everybody has stated, the same is true of all UK companies but is it, MVM you can usually expect 2 month gap between a CE and SE release, not sure Manga actually release anything you'd call CE, so that is a little meaningless.

Hes saying FUNi as in being distriubted on behalf of FUNi as part of their FUNiUK brand, and not licensing it themselves for their own personal release under the AL brand,

If we're talking about Eureka Seven - it's bad luck of the draw there I'm afraid. Sorry you have been caught in that as we obviously hate delays too.

That being said, this kind of delay is now an irregularity nowadays for us to do it and it's always for a reason be it in or out of our control. Even with a hiccup like this, I would go as far as saying we have gotten better in the last year.

Mind you, like any company in a product creation capacity - whatever we do will always have room to improve in any number of people's eyes (often including our own) at anytime and perfection is highly unlikely. All we can do is try to minimise the number of people that is the case for at anytime :).

"Eventually" so why can sentai, FUNi AL with films in cinemas do SE and CEs so same days not force customers to suffer cos they liked a show but not £40 much.

Happy to clarify this as it's a question further than the last time I covered the issue of how we handle titles not released on wide theatrical. Basically in the USA you have a larger population size willing to buy anime legally (which makes sense as dubs need to be recouped there) so three editions makes sense as even without film screenings there is a high chance the three versions (LE, BD and DVD) will sell pretty well between (DVD lagging behind nowadays to the point of slowly being phased out though).

In the UK you're looking at often a fraction of that size (often 10% is a good indicator) - where adding a third SKU of a standard BD immediately for a title aimed squarely at anime fans doesn't really divide and often leaves the standard BD sitting in bulk for a time. This is where the 6 month policy came from to begin with there for us and so far there's no real proof that a change is needed there. Rest assured though that we do remain vigilant so if the trend shifts we will react.

And EBs if you miss them you dont want to pay full price so can be helpful and not at the same. And we've repeated this arguments because NOTHING HAS CHANGED. They havent improved they've got worse with E7 Hi Evo and now no DVD "SEs" for sound, Amanchu, Kiznaiver I can go on.

For Kiznaiver - actually there should be a DVD edition, it just hasn't been listed of yet due to waiting on packaging approval - so that hopefully moves that one out of the way of any concern :)!

For E7 Hi Evo / films - I've directly replied to points before from you here but these hasn't gotten worse - as standard we don't do a regular BD on Day 1 for films we don't run theatrically (Sword of the Stranger, Expelled from Paradise, Psychic School Wars, FUSE etc as examples). We've been very lucky in the UK that widened theatrical has been possible over the last year so the majority of our films do fit the theatrical release model and even borderline titles based on performance receive a standard there as fair is fair.

I totally see where the perception comes from though given the amount we released theatrically as that turns the tables on how it is viewed. Looking at the system discussed before for film, things have changed for the better for you as we do now release regular BDs for everything we do on mainstream theatrical release.

For Amanchu - I think we can all agree that this is a title aimed squarely at anime fans as opposed to the wider market. Basically in this scenario you need to pay for DVD authoring, a share of the BBFC and replication - not to mention staff time for QCing the discs. Meaning you need to sell circa 150 units of 1,000 all in to just break even on the financial costs.

As a small thought experiment - can you locate 150 people in the UK who are so incensed by a lack of DVD that they will not buy Amanchu on BD be it today, tomorrow or 6 months later when a standard version comes up?

In short - DVD costs money and while for a lot of titles it still makes sense, for titles that are anime-fan specific to that degree it's a really difficult situation as you can see from the USA slowly phasing DVDs out (Sentai first but it won't be a long time before others follow suit I imagine). That doesn't mean there are not fans impacted by phasing DVD out though and it kills me to see it - but the uncomfortable truth is that for titles like Amanchu it's a genuine risk if you'd sell enough.

So literally its CE or wait a unknown amount of time I would love if AL made a rule 6 months for a SE or something that would make me happy. Lucky Star has been OOP 6 months and now getting a SE. Gundam Rec in G likewise except no SE yet. Its not like giving a SE timeframe would hurt AL.

Sadly some older titles fell through the gaps for standard editions before we'd solidified workflows to manage this. Really appreciate when people flag missing ones and we are on those two now! Otherwise we strive to maintain the pattern of 6 months down the line on all new titles unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Hope this helps clarify :),

Andrew

Last edited:
I mean I would like a rec in G SE. As it is the Gundam I never got round to due to it mixed reponse as Z and ZZ I liked so wanted to buy more so hope that changes soon and yeah Amanchu admittedly I think may not even sell well due to its mixed s2 it’s put me off buying for example.

Back