[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Funimation will hold the rights to their stupid yak tracks (I really hate them), and it’s up to Aniplex whether to buy them or not, if they’re even up for sale. It’s like the current Eureka Ent Jackie Chan releases, they’ve pretty much got all of the extras from the HKL and Cine Asia DVDs, but they haven’t got anything with Bey Logan on, commentaries or featurettes.

Most likely because they don’t want Logan’s name associated with the release, given recent revelations

Buying even worse products from a worst company than AoA, but calling peoples who buy AoA products Idiots.

I'm not sure who is the biggest idiot here.

I can see who's off my Christmas card list this year...!* For what it's worth I'd always say that every company is different, not really better or worse generally - that is really on a person-to-person level and mileage varies.

I do believe they are after G due to staff members liking it but we don’t know yet

It's true that Keith will literally kill me if we skip G Gundam. So in interests of self-preservation I've an investment in making it happen for him as well as everyone else...!

AP

* I joke, I don't have time to do cards at most times of the year!

I though It was obvious that I was refering to PonycanUSA, since Jaysgba was talking about buying PonycanUSA Eupho s2 from them but "Mocking" peoples buying AoA product.
Of course AL is not a worse company than Ponycan or AoA. :D

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DISCOTEK NEWS:

Announcement #1 //////// Area 88
Includes OVA and Theatrical Cut versions of the episodes on DVD.
English & Japanese audio with English subtitles.
OVA Episode 1 also includes a bonus English dub from Central Park Media.
Brand new, extensive liner notes by Mike Toole.

Announcement #2 //////// Space Wolf Juspion
All 46 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
Live-action series. Tokusatsu metal hero.

Announcement #3 //////// Message from Space: Galactic Wars
All 27 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
Live-action series. Features Hiroyuki Sanada (The Wolverine, Avengers 4)

Announcement #4 //////// God Mars
All 64 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Also includes the movie version and OVA sequel God Mars: Untold Legend.
Discotek notes this was the very first SD on Blu-ray release in Japan.

Announcement #4.5 //////// Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier
An update on their upcoming release.
All 51 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
The biggest production ever done for Discotek.
"We had to file a materials request with Sony in order to get the master tapes. Over 1,000 tapes. We used US, AU, and JP DVD footage for reference, because a lot of the tapes were damaged. But it's coming, promise!"
DkaRUeeUcAAlJk4.jpg

Announcement #5 //////// VOLTES V
All 40 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.

Announcement #6 //////// Galaxy Express 999 (TV + Movies)
All 113 episodes across 3 collection sets on Blu-ray.
Collection 1 features episodes 1-38 as well as TV specials Can You Live Like a Warrior? and Can You Love Like a Mother?
Recap episode, commercials, Textless songs, Episode 1 preview
The TV collections are an upscale but not from the Japanese source.
The Movies will also be re-released on Blu-ray at a later point.

Announcement #7 //////// Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
All 76 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
English & Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Discotek says their release is a better version than the SD BD release in Japan.

Announcement #8 //////// Psycho Armor Govarian
All 26 episodes on Standard Definition on Blu-ray.
"It’s from Knack Productions… the Chargeman Ken people! Which means you're in for a great time! This series is one of two super robot TV series that Go Nagai created after leaving Toei."

Announcement #8.33 //////// Lupin the Third Part IV (Japanese Version)
All 26 episodes on on Blu-ray.
No exact timeframe outside of Winter 2019 season.

Announcement #8.66 //////// Lupin the Third Part II
An update on their upcoming releases.
Collections 3 & 4 will be Japanese audio with English subtitles on DVD. Too expensive to dub.
Re-edited and improved English subtitles with better timing.
Collection 3 in December, Collection 4 in 2019.

Announcement #9 //////// Lupin the Third: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid
Coming to Blu-ray in both English & Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Dub cast features Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Lex Lang, Michelle Ruff, and Doug Erholtz!
The 23rd Lupin the Third Special and the first in Native HD apparently.

Announcement #9.5 //////// Hells
The film is coming to Blu-ray with an English dub from Sound Cadence Studios with the script done from the folks at Team Four Star.
Discotek just got the last of the materials finished this week. Not a parody dub.
Outtakes, behind-the-scenes footage of the dub as well as an audio commentary by the dub folks.

Announcement #10 //////// Space Warrior Baldios: The TV Series
All 34 episodes in one collection coming on Blu-ray.
This series is notorious for being cancelled before the show could end, hence why there's a film.

Announcement #11 //////// Kimagure Orange Road
THE WHOLE THING ("except that one weird new movie!") is coming to Blu-ray.
The franchise will be spread across two Blu-ray collections.
That's the TV series, the OVAs and the first movie.
4:3 format and proper 1080p remaster.
Extras include textless songs, commercials and trailers.

Announcement #12 //////// Giant Robo
All 7 episodes coming to Blu-ray.
Both English dubs will be included alongside the original Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Also includes the Ginrei OVAs in standard definition.
Extras not final.

Bonus //////// Why use SD on Blu-ray?
  • AVC Video Compression is superior to DVD's MPEG-2
  • More episodes on fewer discs
  • Compact packaging
  • Prettier subtitles
  • Lower price to pay than DVDs
  • Blu-rays don't get scratched as easy as DVDs
  • Sometimes Blu-ray masters tend to be worse than the DVD masters (such as edited video or a terrible upscale)

(* more to be updated* )

Last edited:
I believe Iluvatar was referring to Ponycan as being the worse company than AoA, and not AL... so I don't think you really need to rescind his Christmas card for that. Just don't put any money in it this year, lol... ;)

I though It was obvious that I was refering to PonycanUSA, since Jaysgba was talking about buying PonycanUSA Eupho s2 from them but "Mocking" peoples buying AoA product.
Of course AL is not a worse company than Ponycan or AoA. :D

Christmas card crisis averted, clearly me being daft on a Sunday and not reading - sorry! You can tell I forgot Pony Canyon was still active in the US market there since their last wave of releases...

AP

Christmas card crisis averted, clearly me being daft on a Sunday and not reading - sorry! You can tell I forgot Pony Canyon was still active in the US market there since their last wave of releases...

AP
Well it seems they revived as they plan to put Liz in Cinemas and released a complete Yuki Yuna and yes Sound S2 part 1

Lets see if any other company wants Oriemo to have a BD release? I doubt it
Really confused by this comment because unless I'm massively mistaken

When Oreimo was released by MVM in the UK, the only AOA sets that had been released were DVD ( 850527003196 and 850527003653). While there was a Bluray set available, this was not by AOA, this was an AOJ release with an English sleeve, kinda like the early Madoka Movies

While I do agree that AoA are now releasing bluray sets (816546021344 and 850527003653), MVM wouldn't have had this material to work with and the only option they had would be DVD-Only (Same as Madman)

I don't think this is a case of MVM not wanting or caring about a Bluray release for Oreimo, its a case of not having the materials to work with.

Again, unless I'm mistaken and Tony has told people he doesn't care about the show... Something I find highly unlikely

Really confused by this comment because unless I'm massively mistaken

When Oreimo was released by MVM in the UK, the only AOA sets that had been released were DVD ( 850527003196 and 850527003653). While there was a Bluray set available, this was not by AOA, this was an AOJ release with an English sleeve, kinda like the early Madoka Movies

While I do agree that AoA are now releasing bluray sets (816546021344 and 850527003653), MVM wouldn't have had this material to work with and the only option they had would be DVD-Only (Same as Madman)

I don't think this is a case of MVM not wanting or caring about a Bluray release for Oreimo, its a case of not having the materials to work with.

Again, unless I'm mistaken and Tony has told people he doesn't care about the show... Something I find highly unlikely
I was joking because Eromanga was released in the US after Oriemo 1 BD release yet has no Madman planned blu ray.
Who Is the AUS distributor and who MVM would use to release it odds probably.
And i do despise that show so personally I would rather it never got a BD release.

I was joking because Eromanga was released in the US after Oriemo 1 BD release yet has no Madman planned blu ray.
Who Is the AUS distributor and who MVM would use to release it odds probably.
And i do despise that show so personally I would rather it never got a BD release.
But Eromanga has a planned bluray by Madman:

Eromanga Sensei Vol. 1 (Eps 1-6) (Subtitled Edition) (Blu-Ray) - Blu-ray

Unless you're saying Oreimo hasn't.. Then that could simply be because Madman doesn't want to re-release, don't want to buy more masters from AoA or they're contracted for DVD-Only?

IDK if thats a thing or not... Andrew might know more about those types of agreement. I don't care as I've already got the AOJ release of Oreimo from... Japan

I don't think that because AoA release a serie on DVD only prevent others distributors in others countrys to release that serie on Blu-Ray, We've seen that Kazé released Zvesda on Blu-ray while AoA only released-it on DVD, same goes for Magi, AoA re-edited that serie on Blu-ray only recently while Kazé released-it on Blu-ray way before.
Also, AL is planing to release Silver Spoon on Blu-ray while AoA did not, only on DVD.

I do wonder why they never dubbed Silver Spoon

Because Japanese anime should always be watched in Japanese? :eek:

I'm not much of a fan of vintage anime, but from those Discotek releases, I may be interested in

Galaxy Express 999
Cyborg 009
Lupin
Kimagure Orange Road (if I can handle the comedy)

I already own the original ADV Box set of Area 88, guess I should check and make sure all the discs are still good on those.

How do people remember these ancient shows discotek pick up. Half of members on this forum probably weren't born when they came out. Some are so insure it begs the question if they are even worth bothering with.

Out of all of those, I'm most interested in Juspion and Message from Space.

I'm actually surprised that it's Discotek that's doing the Metal Hero Series rather than Shout Factory, considering that Shout is doing the Super Sentai series and the fact that Saban adapted Shaider, Spielban and Metalder as VR Troopers and Juukou B-Fighter and B-Fighter Kabuto as Big Bad Beetleborgs and Beetleborgs Metallix respectively.

Then again, Kamen Rider V3 was released by Generation Kikaida and Kamen Rider: The First was released by Media Blasters (now out of print), and Saban adapted Kamen Rider Black RX as Masked Rider (Kamen Rider Ryuki was adapted as Kamen Rider Dragon Knight by Adness Entertainment).

I don't think that because AoA release a serie on DVD only prevent others distributors in others countrys to release that serie on Blu-Ray, We've seen that Kazé released Zvesda on Blu-ray while AoA only released-it on DVD, same goes for Magi, AoA re-edited that serie on Blu-ray only recently while Kazé released-it on Blu-ray way before.
Also, AL is planing to release Silver Spoon on Blu-ray while AoA did not, only on DVD.
If Kaze (Or is it VIZ Europe, I dont know anymore) got Europe rights then it could be a case of them simply having a different agreement, allowing them to make their own disks rather than sharing with AoA? They just needed to get the English Dubtrack and (lol its Kaze so likely not) the subtrack, Blurays masters from Japan and they're sorted. Its a lot cheaper having 1 disk that has multiple languages rather than disks for each region... I don't own any of those releases so I'm not able to check if this is the case.

I would imagine this is the case as Madman only released Magi on DVD, the same as AoA, so I'd imagined they shared material. I haven't checked the other title you mentioned.

I didn't say it prevented other distributors from releasing on another format, I'm just saying that Madman would have likely used whatever material they were given to save costs.

Anime Limited kinda interest me as they do do a lot of in-house stuff but they seem to be moving over to sharing now so releases get out sooner (see Re:Zero lol). Has it actually been confirmed AoA are not doing a Bluray release for Silver Spoon? as if not, I wouldn't be surprised if both US and UK get a similar release date.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why Plastic Memories has been delayed so long is AL are waiting for the thumbs up to release the series as 1 set rather than half sets... or why High School Fleet hasn't had a release at all is because AL are still waiting for AoA to actually release the damn thing

---------

All my posts are speculation, and frankly all of what I don't really care about... All I was saying is I dont agree with the comment "Lets see if any other company wants Oriemo to have a BD release? I doubt it". I just felt as though there are reasons why this hasn't been released in AU/UK on BR what may be out of the hands of MVM/Madman, rather than them simply not caring

---------

I don't think this is the place to be talking about this, so any replies I would prefer via PM or in the general chat... just quote my message and I'll try n get back to you

Its a lot cheaper having 1 disk that has multiple languages rather than disks for each region... I don't own any of those releases so I'm not able to check if this is the case.
If the release gets a similar price in different countries, that may work.
But several publishers had bad experiences with customers reverse-importing their discs.
Black Lagoon? Combo-disc for UK+FR+ES+IT+DE. But the publisher (Kazé) charges german customers 2-3x more than italian customers (and that is still cheap by german standards...)

And as customers realised this, publishers avoid multi-lingual combo-discs at least for popular series. Sometimes they even create a new master for reprints to prevent reverse-importing - like the spanish re-release of Black Lagoon or the french re-release of Elfen Lied.

Back