MVM finally announce licenses

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Yo!
I was just on Facebook and I noticed a post from MVM, detailing the first of two announcements that they had previously teased would be unveiled in the New Year, but later said were pushed back to accommodate a later release.

The first of their two licenses is Broken Blade; a series of six 50 minute movies about a young man called Rygart Arrow, an "un-sorcerer" born into a world where people can use "magic" (the ability to control and empower quartz)...however, Rygart can't do that. In his youth, Rygart comes to know Hodr and Sigyn, the future King and Queen of the Krisna Kingdom, as well as Zess, the younger brother of the Athen Commonwealth's Secretary of War. Years later, Rygart would become involved in a war between Krisna and the Athens Commonwealth.

Sentai Filmworks licensed the movies in North America and released them in a single collection yesterday.

Swear someone guessed that at some point...

Broken Blade would be a great choice for MVM's first anime Blu-ray, being well-budgeted theatrical movies and all, but I'm not hopeful. If it is DVD-only then regrettably I'll be getting Sentai's BD instead.

Hmm, interesting. I wasn't planning to buy Broken Blade straight away so I'm happy to wait and see how this pans out. I'd much rather a) have a region B disc so that I don't have to play it on my laptop, and b) support MVM's first foray into Blu waters (assuming that is the case).

I concur. If this is indeed coming to the UK on BD then I will definitely be buying it from MVM. If on the other hand it's going to be another DVD only release for the UK when US BDs have already been released, then the UK anime industry might as well just head to Dignitas now and save itself the suffering of continued existence.

But I'm hoping for the former, of course.

I know it's not always going to be within their legal capabilities, but companies really need to start pushing to make these announcements before things are released in the US, even if they can't actually release them at the same time.

ilmaestro said:
I know it's not always going to be within their legal capabilities, but companies really need to start pushing to make these announcements before things are released in the US, even if they can't actually release them at the same time.

Actually, MVM announced this pretty much day and date with Sentai's US release. It came out Tuesday.

As for the good news...

MVM confirm that it's coming on Blu-ray and...

they say that if it sells well, they'll look over their existing titles to see if some of them are fit for Blu-ray re-release.

That Samurai Champloo Blu-ray would be nice here, even if it is an upscale.

Unfortunately I received Sentai's version several weeks ago (and it plays on all my region A hardware, making it a good lazy option) ^^;

Good for MVM though, it's a good choice for something to try and a much more realistic plan than a certain other company who have built up a reputation for letting fans down. I'll definitely be recommending their version to my friends if I enjoy the series, and I see no reason why I won't.

R

MVM experimenting with blu-ray has made me happy. Especially as they commented that if it works, they might try some of their older titles on BD as well.

Back