MVM finally announce licenses

Maybe MVM could distribute Black Lagoon BD for Kaze instead of Manga, given that they released the DVDs in the first place, and maybe that way they'll get the DVDs back as well.

It'd be nice if the world could be built on wishful thinking...

Excellent to have conformation. I'll be pre-ordering the BD as soon as it goes up at HMV, and would urge anyone who really cares about seeing more domestic Blu-ray anime releases to do the same (unless you've already bought the Sentai release of course). In fact I may even order direct from MVM in this case.

So which MVM catalogue titles have Blu-ray releases out there, and which ones are worth getting over here (ie not s***ty upscales)?

Basilisk
Black Lagoon (Kaze are doing this)
Burst Angel
Chobits
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Moribito
Paranoia Agent
ROD The TV
Samurai Champloo
Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R
Trinity Blood
Witchblade

are the ones I know have had Blu-ray releases of some form. Most of the Funimation titles are of the upscale variety, although quality is debatable, Chobits is supposed to be worse than the DVD, while the second release of Champloo is supposed to be excellent.

ROD The TV was released by Aniplex, Moribito was released by Media Blasters but has issues

and as far as I know, Paranoia Agent and Ergo Proxy are JP releases only at this time. Which would be worth bringing here?

Just Passing Through said:
Almost forgot the original Gunslinger Girl series, which Funimation released on BD, along with Season 2 and the OVA. That's another Licence that needs to be rescued in the UK IMO
I checked out a few reviews of Funi's BD for Gunslinger Girl, as I was considering buying the blu-rays a few weeks ago - a lot of the Amazon.com reviews seem to raise doubts about the picture quality of both releases, IIRC.

ilmaestro said:
I know it's not always going to be within their legal capabilities, but companies really need to start pushing to make these announcements before things are released in the US, even if they can't actually release them at the same time.

Actually, MVM announced this pretty much day and date with Sentai's US release. It came out Tuesday.
I mean more literally before they are released, when people will have already paid for and had preorders shipped, not the official release date which is usually a week or three afterwards.

Moribito
Paranoia Agent
ROD The TV
Samurai Champloo
I would be interested in these, depending obviously on the PQ of the BD version.

My only experience of .hack is with one of the most boring video games I've ever played. As for Mayo Chiki, I read this...

Kinjirō Sakamachi, a 17 year old high school boy who suffers from gynophobia. The gynophobia sickness makes his nose bleed every time he has physical contact with a female.
...then stopped reading.

Joshawott said:
More licenses!: .hack//Quantum and Mayo Chiki!

.hack//Quantam wasn't so bad. Mayo Chiki I'm not buying (looks like crap). It says they have 2 more licenses on the way so maybe those will be better.

Mayo Chiki, one series I have yet to finish. Depending on MVM's release date I guess I might hold off and rewatch come the time.

Also nobody in the US that I can see have announced this yet, so I'm guessing that's the reason of the lack of release dates.

.Hack I have no interest in.

Also with 2 other liceneses yet to be announced, this sounds like a positive year for MVM.

I already have Quantum, but kudos to MVM for announcing Mayo Chiki quickly. If I decide to buy it one day in a fit of weakness, I'll buy theirs.

R

So which MVM catalogue titles have Blu-ray releases out there, and which ones are worth getting over here (ie not s***ty upscales)?

Basilisk
Burst Angel
Chobits
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Moribito
Paranoia Agent
ROD The TV
Samurai Champloo
Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R
Trinity Blood
Witchblade

are the ones I know have had Blu-ray releases of some form. Most of the Funimation titles are of the upscale variety, although quality is debatable, Chobits is supposed to be worse than the DVD, while the second release of Champloo is supposed to be excellent.

ROD The TV was released by Aniplex, Moribito was released by Media Blasters but has issues

and as far as I know, Paranoia Agent and Ergo Proxy are JP releases only at this time. Which would be worth bringing here?
SamCham had two upscales done by FUNimation - the latter with much better results that then former (personally I have seen neither, but the new one was good enough that it was used by Victor in Japan)

Ergo Proxy was broadcast in HD, although it was fairly early in the whole HD anime thing - I watched it recently as it happened and the promo highlighted that it would be broadcast in HiVision (which was Analogue HD). As far as I can tell it hasn't had a Blu-ray release even in Japan yet though.

Chobits is digital SD (I remember screenshots in one of the guidebooks showing the compositing process etc).

Basilisk, Burst Angel, Trinity Blood and Witchblade are all Gonzo stuff; I think they only did a couple of shows in HD and their SD stuff doesn't seem to upscale that well. A quick check seems to indicate that FUNi's discs for these were all upscales regardless. For reference: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101718

They are refining the upscaling process - they released screenshots of some new process they were using for Toradora that looked really impressive.

So there releasing hack are they And Mayo, iv heard about that ages ago il buy it but I think il buy it from a region 1 because knowing our releases they might cut something since it's a ecchi anime
I swear if it's not any good I'm going to gives those hacks a good seein too. Lol get it

animefreak17 said:
So there releasing hack are they And Mayo, iv heard about that ages ago il buy it but I think il buy it from a region 1 because knowing our releases they might cut something since it's a ecchi anime
I swear if it's not any good I'm going to gives those hacks a good seein too. Lol get it
...except they won't because that happened ONE TIME. And it was a bonus feature.

Back