MVM finally announce licenses

I would support that on principle if they did it, even if I am not that interested in the show. Early announcements to give importers a proper choice, and experimenting with release strategies to adapt rather than moaning at customers on Twitter? Thank you, MVM!

R

?

It would be excellent if MVM could take Beez's place as the UK's Siren Entertainment (i.e. releasing sub-only sets of more niché shows) but I don't see it being too feasible here. Interesting that they're considering Mayo Chiki without a dub though.

I wonder if this would mean UK anime releases before the US & AUS, I would fully support that.

Plus i'm fine with sub releases, I have all the Durarara Beez volumes and the Soredemo US boxset I imported a while ago, which are sub-only.

To be honest, if it means I can get it quicker and/or cheaper I'd take any set sub only. I'm hoping MVM rise again in a big way, the anime market here is in a sorry state :(

The thing I like about them is the impression that their anime has worth. I know it's ironic given that they have the £10 for a series weekly sales, but their series stay alive, stay in the consciousness, because they continue to promote them, even years after the original release.

For the other UK distro, I get the impression that for them, a series stops existing three months after the complete boxset comes out, and they never think of it again.

It's the difference between disposable and precious.

I will happily support a sub-only release if it leads to further sub-only releases in the future and help keeps MVM living.

there are some series that are better left with out dub and some that are good with.
but the down side with subs is your reading the subs while trying to watch the series

Them being "unsure" could just mean they're being cagey since no US-licensee has actually announced it yet (Manga treadeing on FUNi's toes more than once being an object lesson).

I quite happily import sub only releases so i'd definitely buy UK ones.

Sometimes the female voices in dubs are too .... umm.... don't know how to describe it but it hurts my ears.

Cathe said:
Sometimes the female voices in dubs are too .... umm.... don't know how to describe it but it hurts my ears.
Trying too hard to mimic (or perform an almost-parody of) the Japanese girly voices, which means pitch shifting upwards and / or adding a degree of enthusiasm which sounds unrealistic for an English voice... All of which has the unfortunate side effect making it barely distinguishable from really piss-poor voice acting?

English dubs are at their best when they sound like people naturally speaking English (GITS:SAC and Black Lagoon spring immediately to mind) rather than attempting to render Japanese accents into English.

Shiroi Hane said:
Just Passing Through said:
So which MVM catalogue titles have Blu-ray releases out there, and which ones are worth getting over here (ie not s***ty upscales)?

Basilisk
Black Lagoon (Kaze are doing this)
Burst Angel
Chobits
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Moribito
Paranoia Agent
ROD The TV
Samurai Champloo
Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R
Trinity Blood
Witchblade

are the ones I know have had Blu-ray releases of some form. Most of the Funimation titles are of the upscale variety, although quality is debatable, Chobits is supposed to be worse than the DVD, while the second release of Champloo is supposed to be excellent.

ROD The TV was released by Aniplex, Moribito was released by Media Blasters but has issues

and as far as I know, Paranoia Agent and Ergo Proxy are JP releases only at this time. Which would be worth bringing here?
SamCham had two upscales done by FUNimation - the latter with much better results that then former (personally I have seen neither, but the new one was good enough that it was used by Victor in Japan)

Ergo Proxy was broadcast in HD, although it was fairly early in the whole HD anime thing - I watched it recently as it happened and the promo highlighted that it would be broadcast in HiVision (which was Analogue HD). As far as I can tell it hasn't had a Blu-ray release even in Japan yet though.

Chobits is digital SD (I remember screenshots in one of the guidebooks showing the compositing process etc).

Basilisk, Burst Angel, Trinity Blood and Witchblade are all Gonzo stuff; I think they only did a couple of shows in HD and their SD stuff doesn't seem to upscale that well. A quick check seems to indicate that FUNi's discs for these were all upscales regardless. For reference: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101718

They are refining the upscaling process - they released screenshots of some new process they were using for Toradora that looked really impressive.

Bit of thread necromancy...

It turns out that the Ergo Proxy Blu-ray is inevitable...

Japanese release scheduled, with English dub.

Cathe said:
Depending on time constraints, I listen to the main chars voice on both english and japanese and choose from there.
Last one I remember I preferred the english dub, was Spice and Wolf. The more mature voice for Holo was bang on, while the japanese one sounded too childish for the Wise Wolf.

Back