UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I think there are a few reasons why DVD never died. First, they're cheaper, and that's all some people care about. The visible difference between a good quality DVD and a blu-ray depends on a combination of screen size and viewing distance. For people watching on a not-massive TV at living room distances, the flaws in DVDs can be well hidden (aside from PAL speedup, but I only started being bothered by that once I acclimatised to 24p). This is even more the case for people with poor eyesight who don't bother wearing glasses (which makes no sense to me, but they exist in droves).

Then there's the audio situation. I know people with blu-ray players who have gone back to only buying DVDs because they hate having to constantly adjust the volume in movies, or having to turn subtitles on to hear what people are saying in Christopher Nolan movies. I get around these issues by having a soundbar with a dynamic compression option, but Joe Consumer doesn't know that technology exists. This would have been less of an issue if Dolby TrueHD had become the standard audio format, since that supports automated compression, but the prevalence of DTS HD Master Audio killed off that possibility. Even then, it would have relied on Joe Consumer knowing that option was buried somewhere in their player's settings menu.

The broad dynamics on blu-rays used to drive me up the wall before I bought that soundbar. I still think it's dumb that only a handful of discs have optional audio tracks with compressed dynamics.
Nicely put, better than I did.
The only thing I'd add is when Blu-ray was introduced, the extra space on the disc was talked about. Lots of content.
Obviously, the extra's didn't exist.
Or Hollywood wanted to sell us a more expensive disc with the same content.

Hang on??!

I sometimes watch DVD's when the Blu-ray has locked subs; for example, I watched Attack on Titan on DVD as I read that the Blu-ray's subs were locked and I would rather watch a show in standard definition than be unable to watch it dubbed with English subs, not to mention the fact that some DVD's still look pretty good anyway and tend to be cheaper.

Whaaa seriously? It had kanon?
Yeah it had some quite new titles in the dvd mystery box and I think it may have been better then the blu ray one - I was surprised to see Kanon as it was pretty new release - Kanon and air are the only ones I’m gonna keep I think the rest will go to CeX

This is even more the case for people with poor eyesight who don't bother wearing glasses (which makes no sense to me, but they exist in droves).

My eyesight isn't the best anymore but I don't wear my glasses very often cuz they strain my eyes a bit and I don't want my eyes to adjust too much in case that affects my without-glasses vision worse in the long term. Plus there are ways to address some vision issues with dietary changes and stuff like that which is something I plan to look into (I need to eat less sugar - stupid diabetes! - but also there are other things. None of this is meant in any kind of health-shaming way) :)

DVD had: Kanon, air, fate stay night movie 3, the skull man , venus versus viru

Blu ray had battle girl high school, psycho electric girl, love and lies, devils line, the girl in the twilight
That seems like a pretty decent selection to me in the DVD pack (excepting having the third movie in a sequence on a DVD?)
Now I’m torn; I quite fancy the titles, but that’s £6 per DVD set. Or £7.50 if I ignore the movie.

I mean... 1 is worth £30 alone😉... Which i nearly paid last week for
I’m just one of the Blu-Ray snobs inferred earlier. And an ‘Edition’ snob to go with that.
In other words; I’d think it ‘worth’ £30 if it were a BR and/or some form of set with a bit of background material (the artbooks or cast/crew analysis or CDs), but a DVD just means I’m going to double-dip to upgrade in some future way.

However; I’ve (as noted in the Xmas thread) just ordered it anyway. :-D

I’m just one of the Blu-Ray snobs inferred earlier. And an ‘Edition’ snob to go with that.
In other words; I’d think it ‘worth’ £30 if it were a BR and/or some form of set with a bit of background material (the artbooks or cast/crew analysis or CDs), but a DVD just means I’m going to double-dip to upgrade in some future way.

However; I’ve (as noted in the Xmas thread) just ordered it anyway. :-D
Yeh... Theres deffo 2 i want from the box... Not sure about the others... But the 2 i want... I doubt will get a blu ray release as it as only a dvd release abroad... Hence why mvm only did dvd only and k***n is one of my all time faves... As weird as it is lol

Honestly:
Kanon doesn't have a Blu-ray anywere in the west - so unless you are going to import some japanese BD which sell for $150 used, there is no alternative right now
The Japanese Blu-ray of Air are cursed - it's one of the worst anime Blu-rays ever. Afaik even the DVD looks way better.
I would have bought the mystery bundle, if I wouldn't own the US-DVDs already...

Both other series don't have Blu-ray versions anywere in the world, so you most likely won't get ever the possibility to upgrade.

I went for the DVD mystery box, solely to upgrade from some older region 1 copies I've got. Pretty sure Air was one of the first titles I've purchased back in the mists of time, paying something like £15 a volume which had 3/4 episodes on.

the skull man & venus versus viru will go onto my massive too-watch pile, and I will probably sell on the movie. Shame CEX no longer take in DVDs online.

I went for the DVD mystery box, solely to upgrade from some older region 1 copies I've got. Pretty sure Air was one of the first titles I've purchased back in the mists of time, paying something like £15 a volume which had 3/4 episodes on.

the skull man & venus versus viru will go onto my massive too-watch pile, and I will probably sell on the movie. Shame CEX no longer take in DVDs online.
wouldn't going from R1 dvds to R2 dvds be a bit of a downgrade because of PAL speedup?

I guess the recent MVM DVDs are NTSC anyway? Well aside from the movie maybe.

Regarding Air keep in mind that episode 13, which was a recap anyway, was exclusive to the US DVD singles.

Has anyone here ordered Violet Evergarden The Movie CE from AOL and recieved their copy yet? I haven't even seen any shipping notice from AOL yet. Was their shipment of product from the manufacturer delayed from the strikes? If I'd have randomly ordered a VEM set from All the Anime on the first day of their Holiday sale, rather than pre-ordering it 6 months in advance from AOL, I would have received it by now - and gotten it for quite a lot less money with all the Sale discounts. :(

I'm only concerned for this specific title because Violet Evergarden is my #1 GOAT anime by far, and I want to get the series complete already! 😢

Last edited:
Has anyone here ordered Violet Evergarden The Movie CE from AOL and recieved their copy yet? I haven't even seen any shipping notice from AOL yet. Was their shipment of product from the manufacturer delayed from the strikes? If I'd have randomly ordered a VEM set from All the Anime on the first day of their Holiday sale, rather than pre-ordering it 6 months in advance from AOL, I would have received it by now - and gotten it for quite a lot less money with all the Sale discounts. :(

I'm only concerned for this specific title because Violet Evergarden is my #1 GOAT anime by far, and I want to get the series complete already! 😢
Stock arrived and orders were shipped last week. It's possible the email went into spam? Or if you have other items on pre-order, it won't have been marked as shipped. Send an email to [email protected] so I can confirm if it has shipped.

Yep, I submitted a Contact Us form just before I posed here. Thanks! I do have Future Boy Conan 4K Part 2 left yet in that partial order too; some of the items in that order had shipped previously. I thought maybe you were waiting to ship VE and Conan together, which would be OK too if Conan is coming very soon. I checked the actual order and did not see a second shipping/tracking listed at the bottom, so I assumed it didn't ship yet. If it has, It should be here later this week, then. Thanks very much for getting back to me here!

Just wanted to stop in and log a bit of feedback for the guys at MVM.

I tried to make a purchase from the website earlier this evening and gave up on it. It's a bit too difficult to make a purchase via PayPal for my liking. Having been hit by card fraud some years back, I'm wary of any checkout process that requires me to input personal details ahead of checking out via PayPal.

I figure you might want to look into that.

Just wanted to stop in and log a bit of feedback for the guys at MVM.

I tried to make a purchase from the website earlier this evening and gave up on it. It's a bit too difficult to make a purchase via PayPal for my liking. Having been hit by card fraud some years back, I'm wary of any checkout process that requires me to input personal details ahead of checking out via PayPal.

I figure you might want to look into that.
Sorry to hear that, but since making Paypal the only option it's gone as simple as it can go. The option to pay by card is still there, but it still goes through Paypal. That's the only we can provide sorry, unless you want to go old fashioned and send a cheque, or make a telephone order.

Back