UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

thedoctor2016

Symphogear
Afro Samurai!!! Also how does the Steins Gate anime hold up?

Honestly the VN was terribly dull (sacriledge I know) so I'm thinking I might prefer it as an anime.
The original works better probably as an anime. Zero was ruined though as it does two routes and they try to merge them.
(Also if steins Gate is dull every VN I’ve read is full poor FHA with its silly side stories that mean nothing yet FHA is my fav VN by miles)

Vincentdante

Thousand Master
The original works better probably as an anime. Zero was ruined though as it does two routes and they try to merge them.
(Also if steins Gate is dull every VN I’ve read is full poor FHA with its silly side stories that mean nothing yet FHA is my fav VN by miles)
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what FHA is but on the topic of VN's my favorite is by far Higurashi :)

WMD

Pokémon Master

Honestly the VN was terribly dull (sacriledge I know) so I'm thinking I might prefer it as an anime.
One of my all time favourite animes. And the dub is great too. As a time travel story it's so well constructed and the blend of humour and thriller is really well done.

Azar

Stand User

Out of my 24 mal friends who've watched it (most from here) 12 gave it a 10/10, 9 gave it 9/10 and the remaining 3 8/10! I also rated it a 10 and would say its comfortably one of the best series of the previous decade, just be weary of the slow ish first half.

Vincentdante

Thousand Master
Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia. The “sequel” to Fate/ Stay Night
Ah yes, I haven't played that one yet. I have played Fate Stay/Night which is good.

Out of my 24 mal friends who've watched it (most from here) 12 gave it a 10/10, 9 gave it 9/10 and the remaining 3 8/10! I also rated it a 10 and would say its comfortably one of the best series of the previous decade, just be weary of the slow ish first half.
Hoesntly a slow first half is what I am expecting, I've played the VN now for (checks steam) 15 hours (Jesus Christ) and it never picked up despite many protesting me to keep going lol. I figure an Anime will make that more tolerable.

Afherlan

Brigade Leader
Ah yes, I haven't played that one yet. I have played Fate Stay/Night which is good.
I highly recommend you to pick it up if you can get hold of it. Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia is also my favorite VN, but I know a lot of people find its SoL moments dull and don't like the tone shift from F/SN. Personally I feel like people who thinks that is kinda missing the point though.

On the subject of Steins;Gate, I've never been all that impressed by either the anime or VN. It is one of those I filed under "It's cool that people like it as much as they do, but personally I just don't get it".

Last edited:

Luna

Pokémon Master
I don't think the silly side stories are the big issue of S;G's VN. Most of the drama CDs and also the whole of Phenogramm and Darling VNs were pretty much side stories-only and still interesting enough. And some of the most hilarious of S;G is tucked in the drama CDs.

My better guess is that VNs are just slow by default. For one thing voice acting seems to talk a deal slower, then writing is also a deal more verbose. It's quite noticable that the format doesn't have to to pay so much attention to limited screentime or page count to keep itself that so concise, Also it's usually that one big thing in one piece, so has no need to 3/5 act structures within serial installment segments. (WNs are probably the closest thing to it.)

Violette

Completely Average High School Student
When I tried making an order on the MVM store with the recent 20% discount, and tried again now with the Manga sale, I'm getting charged £3 postage per item, anyone know when they changed this?

My last order with them it was only £3 postage for multiple items, that was a couple months ago.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
When I tried making an order on the MVM store with the recent 20% discount, and tried again now with the Manga sale, I'm getting charged £3 postage per item, anyone know when they changed this?

My last order with them it was only £3 postage for multiple items, that was a couple months ago.
The 20% off sale concluded on 1st June at 9am BST. It was only available for the MATSURI weekend.

thedoctor2016

Symphogear
I mean to be perfectly honest £3 for an international order is very cheap especially as Brexit will happen on the 31st December and we don’t know what our deal will look like.

Violette

Completely Average High School Student
The 20% off sale concluded on 1st June at 9am BST. It was only available for the MATSURI weekend.
Yeah, I know, I meant that both when that code was active, and more recently during the current sale, I was referring to the postage costs, not the 20% off, sorry if my post was ambiguous.
During Easter they charged £3 postage per order - now they charge £3 postage per item :(
Exactly, it was a rather nasty surprise seeing a £15 charge rather than £3, ended up just not following through with the order.
I mean to be perfectly honest £3 for an international order is very cheap especially as Brexit will happen on the 31st December and we don’t know what our deal will look like.
£3 per order is entirely reasonable, I agree, £3 per item not so much, unless they ship each item separately, which they don't.
Even £3 for first item and £1 for each additional would be fine, but the current system just doesn't make much sense.
Their website says it should cost £5 per item for international orders.
It's been saying that for a while, I think it's been the same since they changed it from £2 per item to £5 per order with the site revamp.

It's gone from £2 per item to £5 per order to £3 per order to £3 per item within the space of a few months, with most of us only finding out as we checkout.

It's just getting kinda annoying is all. :p

Relaxo

Great Teacher
Even £3 for first item and £1 for each additional would be fine, but the current system just doesn't make much sense.
The prices shown in store already include free domestic shipping, so if items can be sent combined, the costs involved for additional items shouldn't be higher than the domestic shipping fees already included in price.
But this would require setting up two different options for EU-preorders:
Combined shipping (£3 per order) & Seperate shipping (£3 per item)

Kite

Vampire Ninja
Wasn't Sagrada Reset in one of the mystery boxes from last Christmas 12 days sale? I need to search my backpile to see if it's still there

(My admin is a bit pants)