UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Denny Fisher

Stand User
So I had a quick look and here are some titles that mvm released on dvd. Maybe the UK will get an upgrade on blu ray as the states have

Aquarion
Arakawa under the bridge
Basilisk
Battle girls
Burst angel
Canaan
Dream eater merry
Elemental gelade
Gravitation
Gungrave
Hakuoki
Heavens memo pad
Infinite stratos
Is this a zombie
Kamisama dolls
Majikoi oh samurai girls
Mayo chiki
Moribito
Needless
Night raid 1931
Nightwalker
Ninja scroll
Oreimo
Rosario and vampire
Samurai 7
Shakugan No Shana
Slayers
So I can't play H

farzam1999

Magical Girl
Is this a zombie would be great, especially as the Funimation Blu-ray is missing one OVA (that was included with all DVD releases)
Isn't the Complete Collection (S1+S2) blu-ray release from Funimation with all OVAs? - As far as I can tell S1 is 12 episodes, then 2 OVAs, then S2 with 10 episodes, then the sequel OVA. A total of 25 episodes, and the runtime listed everywhere for the set is 625 minutes. Just wondering, since I was going to get that release.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Isn't the Complete Collection (S1+S2) blu-ray release from Funimation with all OVAs? - As far as I can tell S1 is 12 episodes, then 2 OVAs, then S2 with 10 episodes, then the sequel OVA. A total of 25 episodes, and the runtime listed everywhere for the set is 625 minutes. Just wondering, since I was going to get that release.
Season 1's OVA doesn't have a Blu-ray master last I checked so it was DVD only in the US release. Funimation's Seasons 1 & 2 collection re-uses the previous discs and thus omits the episode.

farzam1999

Magical Girl
Season 1's OVA doesn't have a Blu-ray master last I checked so it was DVD only in the US release. Funimation's Seasons 1 & 2 collection re-uses the previous discs and thus omits the episode.
Then I don't understand what the 25 episodes on the S1+S2 collection are 🤔

Vincentdante

Thousand Master
Interesting. The show that asks a question in it's title is another big one I haven't seen but people seemingly like so I might check it out in this deal.

Of course the answer to said question is no :p.

Vincentdante

Thousand Master
Ah, then in that case it was basically a restriction done by Kadokawa at the time because Funimation pissed them off.
Now I want to know what happened. But honestly from what I have been seeing Anime studios are pretty petty with western distributors that such a thing doesn't seem hard.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Now I want to know what happened. But honestly from what I have been seeing Anime studios are pretty petty with western distributors that such a thing doesn't seem hard.
Over half a decade ago when Funimation started to release titles on Blu-ray, they scheduled titles so fast that both Kadokawa and Universal told them 'no' unless it was DVD only. This is why titles like Magical Index, Scientific Railgun, Future Diary, Is This A Zombie, Heaven's Lost Property Forte, Deadman Wonderland and various others had to wait years for a Blu-ray release. TBS were a similar case with Sentai Filmworks.

Vincentdante

Thousand Master
Over half a decade ago when Funimation started to release titles on Blu-ray, they scheduled titles so fast that both Kadokawa and Universal told them 'no' unless it was DVD only. This is why titles like Magical Index, Scientific Railgun, Future Diary, Is This A Zombie, Heaven's Lost Property Forte, Deadman Wonderland and various others had to wait years for a Blu-ray release. TBS were a similar case with Sentai Filmworks.
Wait I don't understand this, why was scheduling blu-rays such an issue that the studios were witholding titles?

thedoctor2016

Symphogear
Region A. America is region A as is Japan but DVD they are Reg 2 (hence why Gundam would have been forced to have PAL speed up here) as they don’t want to damage JP sales.
It is still a deal most of time which is why bar AoA (and most discotek titles bar the new Fuji TV ones) subs are locked