I wouldn't be surprised to see A Silent Voice by the end of 2017 really. It depends what it gets caught up with in Japan but I thought it came out in like September so being the one that released earliest it likely has the best chances.

Sword Art Online is a bit of a different deal considering it will only have opened in Japan in Feb, so I'm surprised we're even getting screenings so soon after the Japanese release!

I wouldn't be surprised to see A Silent Voice by the end of 2017 really. It depends what it gets caught up with in Japan but I thought it came out in like September so being the one that released earliest it likely has the best chances.

Sword Art Online is a bit of a different deal considering it will only have opened in Japan in Feb, so I'm surprised we're even getting screenings so soon after the Japanese release!

Aniplex seem to be really pushing the global angle for Ordinal Scale. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a simultaneous/close home video release with America, but maybe it will be too expensive, who knows?

Aniplex seem to be really pushing the global angle for Ordinal Scale. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a simultaneous/close home video release with America, but maybe it will be too expensive, who knows?

With Sword Art Online I was just thinking that the bigger issue would be having the dub for it (I'm assuming a dub won't be ready for a March screening unless it's late March), so that would have to be done. I imagine home video also depends on how long it runs in cinemas in Japan etc as well. I could see us being simultaneous with America, but even then it could be early 2018 instead of the end of 2017.

With a series as big as this I don't think Aniplex will be worrying about the cost. :p

With Sword Art Online I was just thinking that the bigger issue would be having the dub for it (I'm assuming a dub won't be ready for a March screening unless it's late March), so that would have to be done. I imagine home video also depends on how long it runs in cinemas in Japan etc as well. I could see us being simultaneous with America, but even then it could be early 2018 instead of the end of 2017.

With a series as big as this I don't think Aniplex will be worrying about the cost. :p
It sounds like they may have factored foreign dubbing into the release schedule, but maybe I'm wrong.

I meant the SRP of a UK home video release might be too expensive, if it were simultaneous with America. :D

Will definitely buy:
  • Assassination Classroom Season 2
  • Free!
  • Silver Spoon
  • SAO: Ordinal Scale
  • A Silent Voice
  • Kinmoza seasons 1 & 2
  • Beyond the Boundary Movies
  • Index II and Railgun S
  • Girls und Panzer der Film
  • Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Will probably buy:
  • March comes in like a lion
  • Mob psycho 100
  • Rokka
  • Joker Game
  • Flying Witch
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
  • Evangelion 1.11 (Depends on what the packaging and extras are like more than anything)
The rest i'm not entirely sure about at the moment either because I haven't seen them or I just don't know if I want to own them.

As a reviewer for the site, I might as well list the titles I'm most interested in as I don't know which ones I'll need to buy and which ones I'll get for free.

* Free! (Blu-Ray - only got R1 DVD currently)
* Mob Psycho 100
* Assassination Classroom Season 2
* Kiss Him, Not Me!
* A Silent Voice
* Evangelion 1.11
* SAO: Ordinal Scale
* Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimension
* GITS: Stand Alone Complex OVA
* Beyond the Boundary Movies
* A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun
* Girls und Panzer der Film

Review discs aren't free. You have to watch them, 5 or 10 hours per series, and write about them, another couple of hours, and you have to put up with shows that you wouldn't under any other circumstances choose to watch. Kaze's Bakuman for example. Free would be a fine thing.

Review discs aren't free. You have to watch them, 5 or 10 hours per series, and write about them, another couple of hours, and you have to put up with shows that you wouldn't under any other circumstances choose to watch. Kaze's Bakuman for example. Free would be a fine thing.

Are you saying that time really is money? If you are, and if that is proof that AUKN should start paying me to review stuff, I fully support you.

I'm surprised that quite a few people haven't heard of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. I understand that it's not exactly a standard mainstream title, but there was still a fair bit of discussion on it while it was being simulcast.

It'd be interesting if it is getting a dub, assuming it was a Funimation one under their deal with Crunchyroll I do wonder if they'd play up the subtext aspect (which was somewhat divisive).

It seems there are quite a few things I'd like to pick up, so it's been a pretty good set of announcements for me. There are still quite a few older shows that I'd like to see announced but at least there were some really good recent shows.

Same - with the new CR / Funi deal I had wondered if this would be up for grabs in terms of a dub as it was extremely well recieved critically - but equally, it's so rooted in Japanese culture (specifically focusing on spoken word too) that a dub would be a tricky one to say the least (although I'd love to see them try!)

As a pretty niche / highbrow show though - I do worry that the lack of a dub would potentially make it even more niche though, and potentially lose it sales.

Just Passing Through said:
MVM have something in the works for November 4th at 4pm according to their social media
Let us ratiocinate.

November the fourth is one day prior to November the fifth, which, as we know, is a day of explosive celebration.

From this, it can be construed that MVM wish to foretell that they have something slightly less exciting to announce than anything worthy of fuses and firewood. A spluttering second-place sparkler, a runner-up to a roasting rollick. But what could it be?

I don't think a lack of dub for that Rakugo show would be a major issue, people who are likely to buy it will probably have already watched the subtitled version and be happy with that. Still, I do think it'd be an interesting challenge for someone to try and dub it and if it gets more people to try the show then that'd be a good thing. There are reasons for having a dub that don't necessarily come down to preference too and it'd be nice to have the show being accessible to more people.

I suspect there could be entertainment value in watching the show in Japanese without subtitles when you don't understand Japanese. One of the strong points of the show is the way the animation captures many little movements and expressions that can tell a lot of story and the voice performances put a lot of detail into the way things are said that probably tells at least as much as the words themselves.

Great show on many levels.

Team MVM love a good old Friday Announcement!

If the firework angle actually means something, I recall a certain series from MVM had at least a couple of Fireworks scenes scattered throughout it's run, and let's just say if they're willing to put Girls und Panzer Der Film which by their own admission is a series which has done decently for them, well...Fireworks will certainly be lit... Ok I'm over thinking that one, there are many a series with fireworks in it, kind of a common thing in Anime...Oh, there was that other thing I recall last year where another series had it's own set of fireworks you could buy...

(...Ok I'll stop now before I get my fingers burnt!)

Back