Manga Entertainment need to take a chill pill

Rui said:
I'm going to end up importing HOTD just out of annoyance now, even though I don't really want it that much anyway. Why can't they stop putting their feet in their collective mouth and instead put that energy into figuring out how to make products importers actually want, to convert us?

R
I belive the honest problem is that they can't. They sublicense off the USA, and companies won't let them release a better product than them.
They certainly can't release first, which is what they need to do to stop import.

Reaper gI said:
I belive the honest problem is that they can't. They sublicense off the USA, and companies won't let them release a better product than them.
They certainly can't release first, which is what they need to do to stop import.

I don't even have HOTD. I'd be fine buying Manga's version if they didn't keep going out of their way to remind me how much better than me they are ^^;

Though I do see region-locked PAL conversions as inferior to the imports as well which doesn't help.

R

Rui said:
Reaper gI said:

I don't even have HOTD. I'd be fine buying Manga's version if they didn't keep going out of their way to remind me how much better than me they are ^^;

Though I do see region-locked PAL conversions as inferior to the imports as well which doesn't help.

R
PAL?

=/

Paradox295 said:

I was under the impression that our Manga UK DVDs are always done as PAL, and that some non-main-feature content on blu-rays was still distributed in this manner. I assume there would be more options for shared masters than Madman otherwise..?

But yeah, region locked is the sticking point for blu-rays, PAL conversions are just an additional undesirable side issue when it comes to local DVDs. I buy DVDs still and some of the UK ones can look a bit wobbly ^^;

R

Rui said:
Paradox295 said:

I was under the impression that our Manga UK DVDs are always done as PAL, and that some non-main-feature content on blu-rays was still distributed in this manner. I assume there would be more options for shared masters than Madman otherwise..?

But yeah, region locked is the sticking point for blu-rays, PAL conversions are just an additional undesirable side issue when it comes to local DVDs. I buy DVDs still and some of the UK ones can look a bit wobbly ^^;

R
Oh, for DVD's yeah.

Not sure about Bonus features on BD's. Since if they're SD, they're listed as 480p.

A lot of the more recent Madman releases are native PAL conversions (with 4% speedup), so not only are the usual NTSC > PAL issues eliminated but the resolution is higher than NTSC R1 discs. I'm fairly sure Beez are mainly doing native PAL as well, since there are no blended frames on Code Geass or Durarara.

Region locking continues to be the bane of UK anime fans' existence, but sadly I don't think Manga have a choice in the matter. Licensing stipulations and all that =(

fabricatedlunatic said:
Region locking continues to be the bane of UK anime fans' existence, but sadly I don't think Manga have a choice in the matter. Licensing stipulations and all that =(
Never been mine, (pats his mult-region player on the top) :wink:
What's been a bain to my importing is the hefty VAT spanking I sometimes got with the added insult of a P.O. admin fee for the privilege.

Reaper gI said:
Rui said:
I'm going to end up importing HOTD just out of annoyance now, even though I don't really want it that much anyway. Why can't they stop putting their feet in their collective mouth and instead put that energy into figuring out how to make products importers actually want, to convert us?

R
And the problem there is, as it was recently said at Ayacon (I believe), that the rights for English-speaking territories are all sold together for some shows (mainly, the ones that would probably make the most money). However, what's the situation with Redline, as we're getting that before the folks across the pond?

I wonder if Jerome has thought of trying to negotiate the rights to shows that no American company currently have the rights for. Because if anything, it's the sublicensing that causes the majority of the problems.

Joshawott said:
And the problem there is, as it was recently said at Ayacon (I believe), that the rights for English-speaking territories are all sold together for some shows (mainly, the ones that would probably make the most money). However, what's the situation with Redline, as we're getting that before the folks across the pond?

I wonder if Jerome has thought of trying to negotiate the rights to shows that no American company currently have the rights for. Because if anything, it's the sublicensing that causes the majority of the problems.
They want new, dubbed shows.
Unlicensed in the USA = old, or there's probably no dub (excepting the Animax Asia dubs)

If by big shows you mean Kodomo shows, then yes. Pokemon, yu gi oh! etc. are held by US companies here.

If you mean big as in K-on!, FMA:B, Madoka Magica etc. Those licenses are USA/canada only, and seperate for us over here.
i.e all Kadokawa, Aniplex and TBS shows (almost anything that sells BDs not by Sunrise or Ghibli) are split between multiple licensors over English teritories. No idea about Geneon yet.

There's nothing stopping Manga going after shows S23 or NISA have got and releasing before them. Except that they'd have to be sub-only.

Reaper gI said:
Joshawott said:

Unlicensed in the USA = old, or there's probably no dub (excepting the Animax Asia dubs)

If by big shows you mean Kodomo shows, then yes. Pokemon, yu gi oh! etc. are held by US companies here.

If you mean big as in K-on!, FMA:B, Madoka Magica etc. Those licenses are USA/canada only, and seperate for us over here.
i.e all Kadokawa, Aniplex and TBS shows (almost anything that sells BDs not by Sunrise or Ghibli) are split between multiple licensors over English teritories. No idea about Geneon yet.

There's nothing stopping Manga going after shows S23 or NISA have got and releasing before them. Except that they'd have to be sub-only.
And considering how they bitched to that guy about Redline...seems like unlike Beez, Manga UK haven't realised that sub-only releases might be something to experiment with. Which is a shame, because usually, Manga UK releases end up being more value for money than Beez.

fabricatedlunatic said:
A lot of the more recent Madman releases are native PAL conversions (with 4% speedup), so not only are the usual NTSC > PAL issues eliminated but the resolution is higher than NTSC R1 discs. I'm fairly sure Beez are mainly doing native PAL as well, since there are no blended frames on Code Geass or Durarara.
Durarara is definitely native PAL - the speedup is noticeable.

Reaper gI said:
Joshawott said:

They are trying new things - they licensed and dubbed Musashi before the US, since by it's nature it was cheap and easy to dub. Welcome to the Space Show is another, and in that case they are commissioning a dub in the US and have made some sort of deal whereby the Japanese licensor will market this dub in other territories like the US.

Aniplex was specifically mentioned at Ayacon with regards to them holding the UK rights to Madoka. Due to the fact that the shows licensed by KadoUSA have never been released here (and Andrew has said in the past that after KadoUSA shut down FUNi took over the FMP:TSR license including the UK rights), and Geneon USA also seemed to do handle UK rights (the original Chobits release specifically says it was distributed by MVM, and after FUNimation rescued it in the UK they had to go cup in hand to FUNimation to get it back for the UK), it seems to be the case that American branches of Japanese companies handle the licenses for all English territories.
The only US-based company that currently actively pursues English rights outside their own territory is FUNimation (who go for UK, Australia/NZ and South Africa). ADV was the other one. I'm not sure about TRSI (their streams are often open to the UK, the UK Boogiepop DVDs were "produced" by TRSI and the US Boogiepop DVDs were all region)

[quote="Shiroi Hane I'm not sure about TRSI (their streams are often open to the UK, the UK Boogiepop DVDs were "produced" by TRSI and the US Boogiepop DVDs were all region)[/quote]With the odd exception mostly everything Nozomi License and TRSI sell are sub only. If it 's dubbed it was done before TRSI got it, by someone else. There's no other reason why manga UK couldn't dub here in the UK except money. It's always down to the money, and there's the top and tail of it.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not related to Manga UK requiring a chill pill.

Shiroi Hane said:
Durarara is definitely native PAL - the speedup is noticeable.
Funny you should mention this, because I've just read UK Anime's review of volume 3. The reviewer criticised the speedup in the first two sets and praises this one for not having it (aside from the OVA) . So this leaves me with a few questions.

1) Did Beez switch back to NTSC > PAL?
2) How can anyone possibly prefer ghosting and juddering?
3) Why would the same reviewer not notice the speedup in K-ON, another native PAL conversion?
4) To how many people is a relatively minor speedup really noticeable?

(A good explanation of PAL speedup for anyone who doesn't know what the hell I'm talking about.)

I've started noticing it...

The latest batch of Madman conversions brought to the UK by Manga have an odd trait to them. The episodes themselves will be native PAL conversions, but the textless credit sequences in the extras will be NTSC-PAL conversions, so you have a direct comparison between the two versions of the opening, can see the difference in pitch and tempo.

It's mega noticeable in something like Xam'd and Sacred Blacksmith, as well as Shikabane Hime.

I hope Beez didn't switch back to NTSC-PAL, as that would be dumb.

The thing about PAL speedup is that most of the Hollywood movies that go through the process have pitch correction applied to the audio afterwards, to avoid the chipmunk effect.

Maybe someone applied that to V3 of Drrrrr, but forgot to apply it to the first two.

EDIT: The BBFC have the runtimes listed, and they are consistent across the lot, indicating they all have the same transfer.

So either the pitch is corrected on the final volume, or (more likely), the reviewer missed it.

It was a big issue for me when I was more into twitchy console games, and so I'm suspicious of the problem when it comes to video as well. Especially because as far as I can tell it's completely unnecessary in this day and age! It would be nice to hear/see everything as it was intended to come across.

I didn't notice any major differences between v3 and the earlier ones with DRRR, but I watched them a while apart and on a terrible setup.

R

Back