Manga Entertainment need to take a chill pill

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
Manga Entertainment have been tweeting again. Tweets that have got the attention of The Fandom Post

Basically they go on a rant about 'Company A', a licensor so apparently difficult to work with that they tweet their refusal to ever work with them again.

First the Casshern Sins Blu-ray suicide last week, and now this.

I thought rule one of business was that you don't share the day to day minutiae of your business with the world. After all, you may be utterly peeved with a business partner on a certain day, but the necessity of maximising profits and the bottom line mean that you may have to climb in bed with them again a couple of years down the line, and with a big smile on your face.

Leaving a public record of your disagreement, obliquely worded though it is, only makes that more difficult.

Someone at Manga needs to learn how to count to a hundred before they reach for their iPhone. Please, go back to marketing school!

Good. Let a decent company handle their licenses in future.

EDIT:
producer, distributor or US licensee

Aniplex springs to mind..

EDIT2: Yeah, Aniplex are involved with FMA: Brotherhood and they have had to change the Part 4 cover several times.

Paradox295 said:

EDIT:

Doubt it. Especially considering how much of their catalogue comes via Aniplex these days.

If they really are ranting about them, and threatening never to licence from them again, it's less shooting themselves in the foot as it is shooting themselves in the head. I get the impression from those tweets that it's a company that they haven't licenced from before much in the past.

Just Passing Through said:
Paradox295 said:

EDIT:

Doubt it. Especially considering how much of their catalogue comes via Aniplex these days.

If they really are ranting about them, and threatening never to licence from them again, it's less shooting themselves in the foot as it is shooting themselves in the head. I get the impression from those tweets that it's a company that they haven't licenced from before much in the past.

I can't think of any other companies that are all three.

They are screwing things up for themselves, though. People are still convinced the Casshern SINS Pt2 BD is cancelled.

Paradox295 said:
Paradox295 said:

EDIT:

I can't think of any other companies that are all three.

They are screwing things up for themselves, though. People are still convinced the Casshern SINS Pt2 BD is cancelled.

They say 'or' not 'and' which qualifies their statement. It's not Aniplex.

Besides, I had a look at what Manga Ent titles Aniplex has a hand in producing...

Baccano
Birdy The Mighty Decode
Black Butler
Bleach Movies
Darker Than Black
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto Movies
Naruto Shippuden Movies
Read or Die OVA
Sekirei
Soul Eater
Submarine 707R

Welcome to the Space Show (Manga want this but bad)...

That's just production, not distribution or licencing.

A company with that importance and pedigree dictates terms to you, you don't whinge about it on Twitter, you hand them the lube and bend over.

They say 'or' not 'and' which qualifies their statement. It's not Aniplex.
In context, they clearly mean a company which can be all three (not necessarily all at once) and if they are involved in any of the three aspects (hence or, whereas and would mean only if they are involved in all three aspects), they don't want to work with them.

Still, not a good way to go about things.

Manga have stated they wanted the title to be different in the UK to stop people importing it first, I wonder if it is something we already know of (KSOTD K-On) or an unannounced title.

I doubt it's Funimation, could be issues with Sentai with HSOTD I suppose, but their tweets about having to deal with Japan over the past 24 hours makes me think it is something over there, perhaps K-On! issues i'd imagine.

Paradox295 said:

EDIT:

Was thinking Aniplex too.
There were comments about haveing some of their biggest shows from them already.
Sounds like it's about packaging aproval from Japan. So FMA:B volume 4 is the likely cause.

The theories at the Fandom Postlean more to Bandai being the focus of ire...

People are throwing around titles like the Haruhi movie and K-on as potential points of being screwed over.

Also could be to do with mangas season 2 release of haruhi. Considering that the US had separate releases for season 2 and haruhi -chan and manga are going for them as a collection.

The theories at the Fandom Postlean more to Bandai being the focus of ire...

People are throwing around titles like the Haruhi movie and K-on as potential points of being screwed over.
Haruhi is Kadokawa (they're possible, they have all the Mamoru Hosoda Films)
K-on! is TBS (it's just that and Highschool of the dead from them)

*facepalm* Is an intern in charge of the twitter again? Only that could justify this recent idiocy, and the intern did put the false Eva 2.22 date.

As for this comment:
If I find a new license I want for UK and CompanyA is either a producer, distributor or US licensee I will avoid said license at all cost.
Just to whittle down the list, which Japanese companies also act as US licensees?

ilmaestro said:
Welcome to the Space Show (Manga want this but bad)
How do you know this?

Jerome was tweeting his love for this, and desire to acquire a few months ago.

Was it Jerome?

Crap! I've half convinced myself it wasn't.

Heck! Someone in the UK anime industry loved the movie enough to go on a social networking charge for it.

ilmaestro said:
Welcome to the Space Show (Manga want this but bad)
How do you know this?

Jerome was tweeting his love for this, and desire to acquire a few months ago.

Was it Jerome?

Crap! I've half convinced myself it wasn't.

Heck! Someone in the UK anime industry loved the movie enough to go on a social networking charge for it.

I asked them the other day, and they said most of the time it is Jerome.

Ryu Shoji said:
*facepalm* Is an intern in charge of the twitter again? Only that could justify this recent idiocy, and the intern did put the false Eva 2.22 date.

As for this comment:
If I find a new license I want for UK and CompanyA is either a producer, distributor or US licensee I will avoid said license at all cost.
Just to whittle down the list, which Japanese companies also act as US licensees?
That licnece in the US, strictly, just Aniplex.

Not sure about Kadokawa (i.e Haruhi related) or Bandai Visual (GitS and Skycrawlers) who both quit being US licesees.

Think he probaly meant either or and was just being as vague as posible.

Further tweets did indicate it was Japan side though.

If it was K-on related that wouldn't be handled by Bandai in Japan but by TBS (Highschool of the Dead, Summer Wars).

Back