UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshawott said:
According to this tweet, Jerome isn't expecting them to handle any FUNimation titles barring Evangelion 3.33.

I also noticed the reply

Manga has a license to release Eva 3.33. It's ours for UK. If anyone is even interested in it anymore.

I think he is really underestimating how popular Eva is. As far as I can gauge, there is still a huge interest for 3.33.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Manga has a license to release Eva 3.33. It's ours for UK. If anyone is even interested in it anymore.

I think he is really underestimating how popular Eva is. As far as I can gauge, there is still a huge interest for 3.33.
I don't think he means it that way. I read it as more of a "Funny" Jerome comment.

Even after excluding Animatsu and Kazé titles, Manga UK will still have huge franchises like Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece which will no doubt continue to be successful - and from what Jerome's said, it looks like they'll be pushing the latest Dragon Ball Z and Naruto movies quite heavily too. New licenses like Danganronpa that, despite lacking critically, could also potentially earn a bit due to the original game's reception. Despite FUNimation dubbing Ghost In The Shell: Arise, I expect that to be safe as well, due to Manga UK's long history with the franchise.

Losing FUNimation isn't good though, especially given how early series' are licensed in their life time and with the biggest players in North America already being close to other UK distributors - Animatsu having close ties with Sentai Filmworks and outside of Madoka, Aniplex seems pretty happy to deal with Anime Limited and MVM. I'll be very interested in seeing what happens next.

Guess I might as well import High School DxD New now though, unless a company here is going to announce a release soon.

@britguy - A "FUNimation Title" is likely a series that FUNimation Entertainment obtained the UK rights to and would have normally sub-licensed those rights to Manga UK.

Quite a few big name titles. Funimation and Aniplex seem to get most of the big titles, Sentai seems to get slightly more nice stuff. Big Funi titles include stuff like Attack on Titan, Dragonball and Darker Than Black spring to mind. I also could have sworn I saw Funi logos in front of FMA: B but my blu ray box says Aniplex so IDK.

A company that does pretty much nothing but push out DB, Naruto and OP might be commercially viable, but certainly not much fun.

Shiroi Hane said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
Looks like the only Funi licenses Manga has coming out later this year are DBZ Resurrection F & Noragami. They've pushed back Noragami to a TBA date so who knows if that's still going to be released.
FUNi's Dragonball licenses never include the UK (although they do include Australia). All of manga DB licenses are with Toei (other than Battle Of Gods which was with Fox).
Ahhh that make so much sense now! That's probably also why they're allowed to release Resurrection F on home media so close to the Japanese release. So I take it this mean the eventual Dragon Ball Super will still be released by Manga then?

Isn't the whole Fox-thing that due to the deal that resulted in Dragon Ball: Evolution, Fox have first refusal rights - so anything has to wait until Fox have said no?

No shock to me that the BDs of a long running shounen series would underperform compared to the DVDs, target audience is just massively wrong.

ilmaestro said:
No shock to me that the BDs of a long running shounen series would underperform compared to the DVDs, target audience is just massively wrong.
Not only that, but the BDs were on an enormous delay compared to the collection DVDs (about 10 months). Anyone that liked the show, and hadn't brought the individual volumes, would have probably brought the DVD release of the collections.

The BD releases were effectively a triple dip only about 2 years after the original release, and there's no way in hell the UK market could sustain that, it's simply not big enough.

Yup, also a good point. If Jerome can't work these things out for himself I don't know how he is able to do his job.

ilmaestro said:
Yup, also a good point. If Jerome can't work these things out for himself I don't know how he is able to do his job.

What I don't understand is, those releases are on a massive delay compared to FUNimation's US release, and they obviously have/had a working relationship with FUNimation. Why didn't they do a deal to use FUNi's masters, and then do the smallest print run they possibly could? I get that it's still expensive, but they could probably at least covered costs on it.

They do well as complete collections, not parts. If you go on their facebook page, it's just full of people moaning about how buying things in parts is too expensive and that the complete collections take too long, etc....

windcott said:
surely the dvds sold well though ? dont see why the show had to leave the UK market

It hasn't left the UK market, and if you think FUNimation are going to sit around and not exploit their UK right, you're being silly...

Somebody probably has the show, the question is, who?

GolGotha said:
They do well as complete collections, not parts. If you go on their facebook page, it's just full of people moaning about how buying things in parts is too expensive and that the complete collections take too long, etc....
Either way the BD collections were released 10 months after their DVD counterparts, what were Manga expecting?

If Anidesu hadn't dissolved yesterday, I would have worried it was them!

It's a shame that this sort of things happens. Limiting the licensing pool means less titles, as companies can only release so much. Perhaps the deal with Funimation was a Starz one? Who knows... but will be interesting to see what happens. Could it be 101? (Ironic that they would swap who they work with in the USA 101=ADV Manga=FUNI)

Hasn't Funimation changed a lot recently too? There's been lots of reports around online of unhappy staff, and major people within the company leaving. Perhaps with all the changes, wanted to look at their overseas rights that they have.

I fear Manga is just Manga in name now, rather than the company they once were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back