UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So turns out Jerome's on Twitter again.

Or had a private one he's turned into an MangaMatsu bullhorn because the last freaking time he did this it didn't end up in the entire endeavour catching flames.

Buzz201 said:
windcott said:
surely the dvds sold well though ? dont see why the show had to leave the UK market
It hasn't left the UK market, and if you think FUNimation are going to sit around and not exploit their UK right, you're being silly...
Yes, because nothing says "Explotion of a market" quite like holding the rights to season titles like BBB for the entire season thus pushing anyone who watned to see that in a timely mannor to do so illicitly.

ConanThe3rd said:
Yes, because nothing says "Explotion of a market" quite like holding the rights to season titles like BBB for the entire season.

If it came from FUNimation, we don't know for certain that it did. Viewster's descriptions certainly suggest it didn't, they refer to it as being set in Jerusalem's Lot, FUNi uses Hellsalem's Lot.

Andrew said BBB was difficult to get, so maybe the FUNi deal has only just been worked out, or maybe there isn't one. Other than Jerome saying Manga UK doesn't neccesarily work with FUNi anymore, a deleted comment on a Facebook page and the appearance of a few FUNi titles on their slate (most of which could feasibly have come from other sources), there's no evidence to support this.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but AL don't even have all the good stuff from FUNi's slate, like Snow White with the Red Hair, which is apparently very good...

Someone's at fault and most of the time with Funi it tends to be from their end so mathmatics is on my side for this one.

They want to not be tared with that brush they can get to working with UK Companies a little better.

ConanThe3rd said:
Someone's at fault and most of the time with Funi it tends to be from their end so mathmatics is on my side for this one.

They want to not be tared with that brush they can get to working with UK Companies a little better.

I don't think you read that how it was intended, who says FUNimation has or have ever had UK rights to Blood Blockade Battlefront? There is little to no evidence to support this.

Jerome doesn't know AL and FUNimation have done a deal, he's guessing on the basis that FUNi aren't dealing with Manga UK, and AL has a few FUNi titles. Hardly solid evidence.

Buzz201 said:
ConanThe3rd said:

I don't think you read that how it was intended, who says FUNimation has or have ever had UK rights to Blood Blockade Battlefront? There is little to no evidence to support this.

Jerome doesn't know AL and FUNimation have done a deal, he's guessing on the basis that FUNi aren't dealing with Manga UK, and AL has a few FUNi titles. Hardly solid evidence.

Back from Manchester and mostly recovered! While I normally wouldn't chime in on another distributor's discussion thread, since we've been dragged into this I figured I'd drop in ;).

This is all pretty much news to me I’m afraid! While I’m flattered Sempai has noticed me - I’ve nothing about Fairy Tail on my plate just now. If that changes I’ll let folks know though :).

Nobody likes a series half-finished though so I’d hope it continues to be on sale in the UK!

Buzz201 said:
To put a little more oil into the conspiracy fire, somebody explicitly asked Anime Ltd. about it on Facebook, the comment has now vanished...

I can elaborate here - Jeremy hid them temporarily while he tried to get ahold of me and figure out what was going on ;)! He's found me now :p.

Buzz201 said:
ConanThe3rd said:

The evidence is that it's a Funi title and it's been blocked for the season it was airing. That's about as smoking gun as you can get and even if they're not guilty of it for BBB it is what I'm attributing to them because every show they release has been delayed in some form or manner in streaming over here and I'd be willing to dismiss it as bad luck for one or two shows but when it's season on season of this rigmarole it's hard to paint them as victims of circumstance.

Frankly, when it comes to UK affirs, Funimation are a nuisance and, whilst I have no love for Manga, them cutting Manga off mid print and just leaving people who bought it to twist in the wind is consistent with how they've conducted themselves in dealing with the UK.

Elaniel said:
It's a shame that this sort of things happens. Limiting the licensing pool means less titles, as companies can only release so much. Perhaps the deal with Funimation was a Starz one? Who knows... but will be interesting to see what happens. Could it be 101? (Ironic that they would swap who they work with in the USA 101=ADV Manga=FUNI)
101 FIlms is Lace, and their relationship with ADV goes way back.

Hasn't Funimation changed a lot recently too? There's been lots of reports around online of unhappy staff, and major people within the company leaving. Perhaps with all the changes, wanted to look at their overseas rights that they have.
There have been two big departures lately, however both have legitimate reasons other than discontent; Adam has been in a long distance relationship since Charlene went to Viz and Lance has gone into the family business.

Excuse double post.

Someone on ANN's brought up something I completely forgot about:
SageModeKakarot said:
maybe that deal FUNimation made with Universal means they will publish it themselves over here

There is precedent; the switch from MVM to Revelation as their distributor was prompted by consolidation after FUNi's buyout by Navarre.

Shiroi Hane said:
Hasn't Funimation changed a lot recently too? There's been lots of reports around online of unhappy staff, and major people within the company leaving. Perhaps with all the changes, wanted to look at their overseas rights that they have.
There have been two big departures lately, however both have legitimate reasons other than discontent; Adam has been in a long distance relationship since Charlene went to Viz and Lance has gone into the family business.
Lance is gone? Wow he's been there for a while.

ConanThe3rd said:
The evidence is that it's a Funi title and it's been blocked for the season it was airing. That's about as smoking gun as you can get and even if they're not guilty of it for BBB it is what I'm attributing to them because every show they release has been delayed in some form or manner in streaming over here and I'd be willing to dismiss it as bad luck for one or two shows but when it's season on season of this rigmarole it's hard to paint them as victims of circumstance.

Frankly, when it comes to UK affirs, Funimation are a nuisance and, whilst I have no love for Manga, them cutting Manga off mid print and just leaving people who bought it to twist in the wind is consistent with how they've conducted themselves in dealing with the UK.

The series is still technically airing and is listed as a simulcast by Viewster, so if they blocked it intentionally they did a poor job...

Again, there is no evidence FUNi had UK rights and sub-licensed them, if they had, why would AL use different terminology?

I'm not willing to clear Funimation of Shenanigans on account of typesetting and the fact that Bones delayed the ending because reasons.

For all we know the Japanese enforced the terminology change.

ConanThe3rd said:
I'm not willing to clear Funimation of Shenanigans on account of typesetting and the fact that Bones delayed the ending because reasons.

For all we know the Japanese enforced the terminology change.
The Dark Horse manga release uses completely different terminology to both FUNimation and Anime Limited and pre-dates it. Japan probably didn't insist on it.

Shiroi Hane said:
Elaniel said:
It's a shame that this sort of things happens. Limiting the licensing pool means less titles, as companies can only release so much. Perhaps the deal with Funimation was a Starz one? Who knows... but will be interesting to see what happens. Could it be 101? (Ironic that they would swap who they work with in the USA 101=ADV Manga=FUNI)
101 FIlms is Lace, and their relationship with ADV goes way back.

I know about their relationship, but thought it could be 101 may start to work with Funimation.
It's fun to speculate :)

I wasn't aware about their reasons for leaving, thanks for the info.

Buzz201 said:
ConanThe3rd said:

The series is still technically airing and is listed as a simulcast by Viewster, so if they blocked it intentionally they did a poor job...

Again, there is no evidence FUNi had UK rights and sub-licensed them, if they had, why would AL use different terminology?
I don't know why Viewsters descriptions state that it is set in Jerusalems Lot considering it is Hellsalems Lot in their subtitles.

sniper_samurai said:
I don't know why Viewsters descriptions state that it is set in Jerusalems Lot considering it is Hellsalems Lot in their subtitles.
Interesting. Having checked the subtitles they use, it could very well have come from FUNimation. As their subtitles contained an interesting difference in translation, "which one of you will see this through?" instead of the more commonly used "which one of you will be the witness?" (which coincidentally is what their dub uses). I don't know which one's correct, but the second perhaps makes slightly more sense in context.

When I pointed out some typos in Arslan to them, they told me 'We actually don't subtitle Arslan ourselves. We have to use the Funimation subtitles so say the licensors'.

GolGotha said:
When I pointed out some typos in Arslan to them, they told me 'We actually don't subtitle Arslan ourselves. We have to use the Funimation subtitles so say the licensors'.

Makes sense from a licensors perspective, you only have to approve one set of subtitles that way, but could be a bit of a problem if FUNi act like ********s and refuse to licence their subs...

Also means FUNi are responsible for most of the delays with Viewster's simulcast (since it's nearly always delays in receiving subtitles that are holding them back)...

Buzz201 said:
GolGotha said:

Makes sense from a licensors perspective, you only have to approve one set of subtitles that way, but could be a bit of a problem if FUNi act like ********s and refuse to licence their subs...

Also means FUNi are responsible for most of the delays with Viewster's simulcast (since it's nearly always delays in receiving subtitles that are holding them back)...
I think the way licences work now is that all materials including dubs and subtitles belong to the production company and not the licence holder, so even though Funi created the subs they do not own them.

sniper_samurai said:
I think the way licences work now is that all materials including dubs and subtitles belong to the production company and not the licence holder, so even though Funi created the subs they do not own them.

As a company, why would you pay for a dub on a risky title if you couldn't monetise it yourself? Maybe the copyright is held by the producer, but I doubt they can just give FUNi's materials away without permission. (Although, if they're going to insist on other companies using them, they might well be able to.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back