UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

I don't know... Surely they had the license for the second parts of Xam'd and Casshern sins before dropping them... Not to mention Fairy tail (or even FMA:B before they reverted their position and released)...

Lavigne said:
Just so long as they don't figure that DVD-only is the way to go!

If they do that they can quite frankly stick it. I'm very tempted to buy the Aus version seeing as it comes out way sooner (June 8th) but I want to support UK releases where I can. However if they go DVD only they can consider that one sale lost.

Agree. I'm happy to wait for a UK release if one's forthcoming but if it ultimately came down to domestic DVD vs imported BD then the superior format will win every time.

IncendiaryLemon said:
If they already went through with buying the licence, I can't imagine they'd scrap it in it's entirety. It would just be a waste of money otherwise. Better to turn a little profit than no profit, right?
This is actually often not the case for companies of a certain size. The opportunity cost of using the time and resources on something that is only making a small profit (or simply not as much profit as you would like) can very easily be too high compared with moving on to something that will make the level of profit you would like to see.

msgeek said:
I can't help but worry that movies 1 and 2 wont sell well (due to being recaps) and Manga deciding to not release 3 despite the fact that it's what everyone wants...
Wait, what?

Joshawott said:
msgeek said:
I can't help but worry that movies 1 and 2 wont sell well (due to being recaps) and Manga deciding to not release 3 despite the fact that it's what everyone wants...
Wait, what?

She means that if Madoka 1 and 2 don't sell well that they might not release 3, not that they said they're not.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Joshawott said:
msgeek said:
Wait, what?

She means that if Madoka 1 and 2 don't sell well that they might not release 3, not that they said they're not.

Yep that's what I meant, although one correction;

*He

in my case ms = MicroSoft

It's a name I've used else-ware, and just decided to re-use.

msgeek said:
Yep that's what I meant, although one correction;

*He

Fair enough. Judging gender is always hard on the internet :p

msgeek said:

You know, it never occurred to me that it could mean "Ms" in the female title sense and I had just assumed it meant Microsoft. Funny how that sort of thing goes.

Note the Animatsu branding on the box. Does this mean that Jerome licensed it for Animatsu instead then? I just assumed it was for Manga.
I wasn't planning to re-buy the Madoka Movies anytime soon since I own the JP BDs, but seeing that image makes me want to cave in and buy the AniplexUSA sets.

Mangaranga said:
Note the Animatsu branding on the box. Does this mean that Jerome licensed it for Animatsu instead then? I just assumed it was for Manga.
I wasn't planning to re-buy the Madoka Movies anytime soon since I own the JP BDs, but seeing that image makes me want to cave in and buy the AniplexUSA sets.
Animatsu clarified on Twitter that it's a MangaUK license.

I'm admittedly tempted to order these; despite me owning the Japanese Aniplex LEs. Mainly because I do want to hear the English dub.

what is the likelyhood of manga ever bringing fairy tail back to BD like they did with samurai bride ?

windcott said:
what is the likelyhood of manga ever bringing fairy tail back to BD like they did with samurai bride ?

Pretty unlikely at this point I'd say - even though Manga seem to be supporting BR for some of their upcoming BR titles I don't see them going back and doing it for stuff that's already come out. The Shonen series sell much better on DVD anyway.

windcott said:
For Samurai Bride the BD just went "missing" for a while during the pre-order period (did they ever actually say anothing about it?) and it is a one-off release.
The two things that are least likely to get BDs are long running titles and something that has already been released on DVD. Fairy Tail not only meets both criteria, they know exactly how well it will perform on BD having already tried it and apparently that isn't well enough.

I suppose with Fairy Tail you can at least hope they switch back to BR when it switches to the currently airing stuff produced by the other studio, but that's a long way off.

wasn't sure where to ask this, but how bad is the subtitle track for penguindrum ? i heard signs are missed out but is anything important missed out e.g like durarara ?

windcott said:
wasn't sure where to ask this, but how bad is the subtitle track for penguindrum ? i heard signs are missed out but is anything important missed out e.g like durarara ?

It's 'import it from elsewhere' bad.

One thing I remember is that no songs are subtitled - even when they are also dialogue (there's segments where they go all musical).

Aren't there problems with the US release of Penguindrum as well? I vaguely remember reading something about that, though maybe it was Blu-ray video issues or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back