Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (Kimi no Na wa.) popped up on UK Theatrical Screens for 24th November

About to see this for the second time, this time at Odeon Panton Street where they're showing it 7-8 times a day! Watching it in Japanese this go round.

Finally managed to go see this, thanks to my partner (who is by no means an anime fan) agreeing to tag along.
There have been many showings in my area (about two per day) per cinema chain. So not without options.

I loved it, despite some noisy people behind, who I gave a deathly glare to. It's the first anime film I've managed to catch in a cinema too and it was the subbed version (much to the chagrin of my other half to start.)

However, by the end my partner admitted to really liking it. I had to do a double-take as I never expected that. Now I need to see what film I can drag my partner to next :p.

I hope we can get an Ultimate Edition of this sooner rather than later, despite holdbacks. In Andrew we trust. :)

I did notice a few untranslated parts though (mostly in notebooks), but I presume it stops from having screen-heavy subtitles.

Toho announced today on December 5 that Makoto Shinkai's Kimi No Na Wa/Your Name had earned 19.957 billion yen from the 15,352,600 ticket sales at the Japanese box office by December 4 in 104 days since its release on August 26. Now it has become the second top-grossing Japanese film in history, surpassing Hayao Miyazaki's Howl no Ugoku Shiro/Howl's Moving Castle that made 19.6 billion yen in 2004. The youth sci-fi film is expected to cross the historic 20 billion yen mark very soon.

All-Time Box Office Top 10 in Japan (Japanese & foreign films combined):

1. "Spirited Away" (2001/30.8 billion yen)
2. "Titanic" (1998/26.2 billion)
3. "Frozen" (2014/25.48 billion)
4. "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone" (2001/20.3 billion)
5. "your name." (2016/19.957 billion)
6. "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004/19.6 billion)
7. "Princess Mononoke" (1997/19.3 billion)
8. "Bayside Shakedown 2" (2003/17.35 billion)
9. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets" (2002/17.3 billion)
10. "Avator" (2010/15.6 billion)

I think it will topple Harry Potter but going for the top 3 will be a bit too much.

Japan Box Office: "your name." Becomes 2nd-Ever Top-Grossing Japanese Film, Surpassing "Howl's Moving Castle"

Do we know how long Your Name is still planned to be in theatres for? I mean, I once thought Howl's Moving Castle was out of reach. Getting this high however, is still amazing.
It is a fantastic achievement, not sure how long it will remain in Cinema's as its been out quite a while in Japan. I suspect the gap between 3rd & 4th place is too large given how long the film has been out.

I dunno like, a ton of people seem to love it. I think I've only seen one or two people who've seen it and not thought it was 10/10 worthy, or close at that.
I never questioned the quality of the film, in fact I was one of the first people on the board to watch it and my impressions painted a positive impression, although I'm in no way as into it as everyone else here, regardless a quality film doesn't always make a commercial success, this film however has gone one to become a juggernaut, one what nobody would foresee leading up to release. Insane amounts of money.

I never questioned the quality of the film, in fact I was one of the first people on the board to watch it and my impressions painted a positive impression, although I'm in no way as into it as everyone else here, regardless a quality film doesn't always make a commercial success, this film has gone one to become a juggernaut. Insane amounts of money.

Oh, I see. Hmm, I'm not entirely sure myself. I guess a lot of critical praise generated a ton of hype. Just one of those things you can't predict.

Oh, I see. Hmm, I'm not entirely sure myself. I guess a lot of critical praise generated a ton of hype. Just one of those things you can't predict.
Yeah I'm not saying it doesn't deserve it, on the contrary, who am I to say what people should enjoy and watch! I'm just surprised that this animated film was the one to spark a flame, like I'm genuinely interested it seeing how it was marketed within Japan and such, seems like word of mouth was the main instigator. Your Name seems like the type of film even people not into anime enjoyed watching but there's lots of films that fit that bill that come out every year or two, just surprised that this was the one that did what everyone else (has other than Ghibli) has tried for years (and even Ghibli at times with films like The Cat Returns, Poppy Hill and Marnie that weren't directed by the big dog himself that tried to cater to a more contemporary audience to middling degrees of financial success).

The immense success that this film has found has baffled me.
It's a bit like Avatar, I didn't think that film was great (Side note: I did quite enjoy Your Name), but a bunch of people went to see it, which seemed to generate buzz, which made a bunch more people see it, and it just seemed to snowball from there.

I'm still pleased it is popular though, as it means we might see some more interesting stuff riding on its coat tails.

It's a bit like Avatar, I didn't think that film was great (Side note: I did quite enjoy Your Name), but a bunch of people went to see it, which seemed to generate buzz, which made a bunch more people see it, and it just seemed to snowball from there.

I'm still pleased it is popular though, as it means we might see some more interesting stuff riding on its coat tails.

Indeed, not that the success of this film should create any tension among anime fans, rather it should be a positive note on which to end the year on, more positive attention being placed towards anime on the big screen or otherwise benefits us all, or at least it should, with great power and all that!

Indeed, not that the success of this film should create any tension among anime fans, rather it should be a positive note on which to end the year on, more positive attention being placed towards anime on the big screen or otherwise benefits us all, or at least it should, with great power and all that!
Totally!

We can laugh at ourselves next year when we're put back to square one by a slew of bad films attempting to cash in on the hype.

I dunno like, a ton of people seem to love it. I think I've only seen one or two people who've seen it and not thought it was 10/10 worthy, or close at that.
In case I'm one of them, an 8/10 for me on MAL is probably about the equivalent of a borderline between 9 and 10 for you.

It could beat Harry Potter, but I think the top 3 are well out of reach
It'll probably overtake Harry Potter this week. Top 3 would need it to be still going strong over the new year period at least. Looking unlikely though as apparently its been going rather slower than either Titanic or Frozen, despite having reached 15 bn yen faster than either.

Incidentally, whoever did that 104 days thing can't count - Sunday was the 101st day of release.

Back