Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (Kimi no Na wa.) popped up on UK Theatrical Screens for 24th November

It's time for one of Vash's famous 180s.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Shinkai nailed ALL the themes he tackled, and effortlessly! At the end of the day, as simple as it is, isn't a perfect combination of old and new, ultimately what we all want? Sure new ideas are nice and all, and I would have rather he used less overdone archetypes (like maybe one of them could of been African instead of Japanese?) but Shinkai's premise is simple and sweet and true for a lot of people. I like the way he touched on issues, even if breifly, that have been relevant to my thinking recently, such as the pros and cons of tight knit community, and how brill cafes are. The man is a genius.

I'm now tempted to say, not only is this better than Akira, it may also be better than Trigun Badlands Rumble? No, I don't think I can go quite that far....yet, I need to see the Trigun movie again.

Happy Xmas!

I think the part I liked best about the film was the way the characters were able to grow by learning about different perspectives and meeting new people. I think the process of learning about another person indirectly probably encourages a bit more thought and consideration, which could lead to a more genuine understanding than merely taking things at face value and assuming that you already know enough. Similarly, being put into unusual situations gives plenty of opportunity for new experiences.

As for the romance aspect:
I'd say that the events of the film help the characters to become the people the need to be in order to be happy together, while the actual romance probably happens after the film. It's fairly easy to imagine the two getting along well together as who they are following their experiences. Romance stories can be kind of annoying for going as far as the couple getting together but never going further, in this one they don't even really get started but I thought it worked well because you don't really need to see that.

I think it's interesting to consider that a declaration of love can have different implications based on cultural expectations. For example, for some it might be the start of a relationship but for others it may be a key point where the relationship is cemented.

Overall, I think the character development aspects were more important for me so I don't really see a need to consider it a romance story. That said, I do think the film does a pretty good job of having the potential to work on a variety of levels and from quite a few different perspectives. I suppose that's why it has proved to be quite popular.

As usual, I'm going to have to be the lone dissenter here. Your Name is a great film and an intelligent film. I don't know that it's worthy of the all consuming hype it's generating.

I don't know that it really handles its themes all that well. Shinkai just seemed to throw vague ideas at it and then expand upon them without developing them in a way. There are seemingly big moments that don't seem to contribute thematically in any way. Like the ceremony, it seems like a huge, pivotal moment in the lives of some ot its characters, but only a small piece of tangential schoolgirl bitchiness seems to affect the film in any thematic way.

The second half of the film also feels slightly at odds with the first. I don't know that the film really lands the introduction of the second sci-fi element. It feels like it exists to add drama to it and contrasts with the lighter first half. The transition isn't as smooth as I hoped.

I know I'm being quite picky, and I still really enjoyed it, but I'm not really sure it's the stone cold masterpiece everyone's saying.

I don't know that it really handles its themes all that well. Shinkai just seemed to throw vague ideas at it and then expand upon them without developing them in a way. There are seemingly big moments that don't seem to contribute thematically in any way. Like the ceremony, it seems like a huge, pivotal moment in the lives of some ot its characters, but only a small piece of tangential schoolgirl bitchiness seems to affect the film in any thematic way.
It'd be interesting to know what you thought the main themes were, it seems that quite a few people have interpreted the film in different ways and focussed on different aspects. It's possible that the film does rely somewhat on viewers supplementing what's in the film with their own interpretation of whatever aspects they've chosen to focus on, though I'm not sure if that would count as a bad thing (but could still be a negative for some, at least).

Regarding the ceremony, I thought the build up and follow up to the ceremony were more important than the actual event itself. The characters seemed to learn more from the preparation and the journey they take after the ceremony (or I suppose that might technically still be part of the ceremony). You could probably argue that the ceremony itself was kind of going through the motions, while the real meaning to it is found in the work that goes into it and being a part of something larger that spans generations. Just a thought, based on my increasingly vague memory of the film.

I've probably missed out on a lot of the hype for the film. I found that it met my expectations quite well but I suppose those expectations were based on a limited selection of perspectives and reading between the lines of comments that I'd seen. I think the strength of the film is in it's width of appeal, if it works for a lot of people and reaches a lot of people then it makes sense that there'll be a decent number that particularly enjoy it. I could see it having some enduring appeal in a similar way to many of the Ghibli films and it'll probably continue to have fans and doubters in much the same way as those. It might be interesting to see if that does happen, since it lacks the marketing advantage of being part of "the Ghibli collection".

Personally, I did enjoy the film quite a bit and I'll almost certainly add it to my collection. I don't know that I'd rate it as a favourite but I could imagine re-watching it and continuing to enjoy it from time to time in the future.

It'd be interesting to know what you thought the main themes were, it seems that quite a few people have interpreted the film in different ways and focussed on different aspects. It's possible that the film does rely somewhat on viewers supplementing what's in the film with their own interpretation of whatever aspects they've chosen to focus on, though I'm not sure if that would count as a bad thing (but could still be a negative for some, at least).

Regarding the ceremony, I thought the build up and follow up to the ceremony were more important than the actual event itself. The characters seemed to learn more from the preparation and the journey they take after the ceremony (or I suppose that might technically still be part of the ceremony). You could probably argue that the ceremony itself was kind of going through the motions, while the real meaning to it is found in the work that goes into it and being a part of something larger that spans generations. Just a thought, based on my increasingly vague memory of the film.

I've probably missed out on a lot of the hype for the film. I found that it met my expectations quite well but I suppose those expectations were based on a limited selection of perspectives and reading between the lines of comments that I'd seen. I think the strength of the film is in it's width of appeal, if it works for a lot of people and reaches a lot of people then it makes sense that there'll be a decent number that particularly enjoy it. I could see it having some enduring appeal in a similar way to many of the Ghibli films and it'll probably continue to have fans and doubters in much the same way as those. It might be interesting to see if that does happen, since it lacks the marketing advantage of being part of "the Ghibli collection".

Personally, I did enjoy the film quite a bit and I'll almost certainly add it to my collection. I don't know that I'd rate it as a favourite but I could imagine re-watching it and continuing to enjoy it from time to time in the future.

For me, the film's main theme about the struggle to reconcile the traditions of Japan and it's ceremonial nature, with the modern technologically advanced world. How do you maintain a traditional cultural identity in an increasingly homogeneous and Americanised world? For me, the most important moments were brief things, like the scene in the cafe in Tokyo where he snaps a picture of his food and it immediately disappears, as if eaten and the stuff about small town politics. It's a prescient issue at the moment, even amongst the Western world that caused it -- To what extent are we willing to sacrifice our self-identity for a more prosperous and connected world? I think my issue is that it never even really tries to reach a conclusion, even a murky 'there is no easy answer'-type conclusion.

It's probably not helped that I saw the film on the way to Vietnam, a country where this is a huge deal. They say the North is interested in politics, but the South is interested in business, but it seems to run deeper than that. Vietnam seems to be struggling to hold on to it's communist identity and ideology, whilst also using a market economy to try and progress its development as a nation. The more Western inclined South and specifically Ho Chi Minh City seems to be becoming a 24/7 city and the place in the country to do business, making it easier to perform and obtaining the associated wealth as a result, whilst we were told (We were only able to visit HCMC unfortunately.) Hanoi in the North remains very traditional, with little nightlife and increased difficulty business. Hanoi is still the centre of the Communist Party and the country's rulers. As a country, it seems to be struggling to reconcile these two identities and potentially opposing ideologies. Ho Chi Minh is trying to be a global business centre, whilst it's business students are still required to take National Defence lessons, in case the communist single-party state comes under attack...

That was much more long-winded than intended. It just seems to me, given how wide-ranging and important the themes it was seemingly trying to discuss are, and how they affect almost every person and country in the world, of every age, that it was a huge missed opportunity. And the lack of conclusion, or seemingly even a clearly defined viewpoint, does it no favours. I appreciate films with impassioned and well established angles on the real world, unfortunately Your Name does not have that.

I do want to stress that I still enjoyed the film, I just don't think it's the emotional thematic masterpiece it's being aggressively sold and hyped as. And thankfully, Shin Godzilla more than made up for it on the way back.

Last edited:
Man, it's scary how easily you're able to pick up themes such as those. I haven't seen the film yet, but I doubt I'd have been able to pick up on stuff like that so easily.

I think my issue is that it never even really tries to reach a conclusion, even a murky 'there is no easy answer'-type conclusion.

Exactly, that's why I say it has nothing very interesting to say on these themes, it's so half arsed in anything apart from the core romance. Though I did genuinely appreciate the brief moments it touched on the sense of suffocation growing up in a small community can bring about. I think that ceremony bit was quite important though, and is actually the bit of the film I think Shinkai is most successful at portraying the sense of being torn. On the one hand Shinkai is clearly using the scene to drive home his banal idealised view of the countryside as the home of mythic spiritual traditions, yet here he is actually able to also criticize those same traditions and show it from a normal girl's perspective of how oppressive they can also feel. And he was probably also trying to emphasize modernity's supposed degradation of even the young country folk's 'morality' in the lack of reverence they have for the ceremony, since he mentioned a loss of morality being one of the key themes (even though that's total lame BS in my opinion).

But yeah in the end the film is just totally toes the standard line on these things, pining for a stereotypical mythic and spiritual countryside, and yet also promoting the standard ideal of growing up and getting a good big city job.

It's best to just ignore these elements completely and not let them detract from the film being the second greatest movie ever made and telling it's EPIC love story.

Last edited:
Back