Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (Kimi no Na wa.) popped up on UK Theatrical Screens for 24th November

Glad I got to the previous screening though as I'd never have been able to travel to a cinema today. It's nice (sorry IL/Buzz) that so many people are all watching it at the same time and sharing their thoughts all at once. You really don't get that often, even with simulcasts.

R

To be honest, it's not the missing this that bothers me, it's the year's worth of smug comments I'm going to have to endure from uppity ********s who are choosing between about 8 different screenings because they happen to live in the right part of the country. As well as continuing onslaught of "Best film ever! Can't believe you haven't seen it" messages.

Maybe I'm just being excessively down on people, but I've already suffered suggestions that I'm "just not enough of a fan" or that I was lying when I said I couldn't get to a screening. As well as gloating from some individuals with a glut of screenings near them. I'm not sure I can take another year or so of that.

On the plus side, nobody on AUKN will need to buy salt anytime soon, because I clearly have more than enough to go round...

I'm going to say this is the very first shinkai film I've seen, and its now made me want to check out his other works.

Any suggestions of what I should start with

Sadly I was unable to go as I ended up having to work late ;_; I'll just have to wait for the BD release, however long that takes.... Luckily I don't have the same issues as Buzz as such people would be told to ^%$& off as soon as they opened their stupid mouths the first time lol.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Very glad I talked a friend into going with me, they loved it too, and on paper the plot is neither of our cups of tea, but it's delivered with such charm and class that despite a slightly rocky middle it's probably up there as one of my favourite anime feature-length productions.

I tend to find my attention slipping with many anime movies rather than series due to the approach for framing and pacing movies generally being identical to if it were serialised. But this had exceptional production values and an approach that better suits a feature length presentation. Looking forward to seeing it again next year.

Instantly captured my attention and never let go, that movie was indeed something quite special. I did ask my cinema if we could change our tickets from the dubbed screening to a subbed screening that popped up the day before (as I booked well before if we knew screenings would be subbed or dubbed), but they decided simply to ignore my emails so we ended up seeing the dubbed. I think it works a lot better dubbed than the trailer for it had suggested and although it did take a good 15-20 minutes to adjust to the characters and Mitsuha's slightly high-pitched voice, it was all good in the end.

That montage of scenery at the beginning was totally Makoto showing off how far his animation has come. It's fair though, the movie looked utterly wonderful! It's a shame a BD release is so far off because I already want to watch it again. D:

Managed to get to see it, and glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed. Cinema was packed. Hopefully this is a sign of more opportunities to see more Anime in this fashion.

Yup - really nice to see a packed screening for it yesterday. A great atmosphere to see it in! It ended up being the dub for me, which I actually thought was very well done indeed.

Don't want to piss anyone off, but at Wandsworth Cineworld they added an extra screening yesterday which I managed to go and see, and I'm happy I did. For a number of reasons it's actually the first anime movie I've managed to see at the cinema, and I thought it was brilliant. I thought the story was really well told and slowly revealed itself, and the ending was just perfect. I really connected with the two main characters, and I thought the voice actors did a great job (I watched it subbed).

I do remember thinking there were a few issues with the subs though, and also it was a bit distracting that right near the end security had to come in I presume to stop someone filming, but overall I thought the film was brilliant. It was great to see it so busy, and that was an extra screening added on the day as well (after the first one sold out yesterday). I really hope somehow it manages to go a bit wider so everyone who wants to gets to see it, it is such a shame for you guys who have posted here that you might not get the chance. :(

I wonder how that one little scene played out in the dubbed version, you know the one if you've seen the film.

Nope :p Which one?

I would have been cross if I'd gone to see a subbed film and got a dub (and extrapolating that the opposite way around is equally irritating). Shame on the cinemas which mixed their listings up like that.

IKR! I was livid when I found out :|
Though we did have a couple people there who were clearly with their carers & to my amusement/appreciation four people watched who must've been 60+ :p so the dub screening likely worked out well as subs in those conditions would've been an issue but yeah..it was irritating from a personal standpoint.

Watched the English dub at Cambridge Vue last night and would like to reiterate comments that it was a nice surprise; ended up sounding a lot better than the trailers implied. There was also one scene in particular that relied heavily on a Japanese-language joke that, I'm happy to say was localised really well (to the point that @Demelza had no idea anything changed when I mentioned it to her).

I looked to see if there were any further nearby screenings (wanted to take Mum), but while Vue has added three additional showings, two have sold out and the remainder finishes too late for her (23:50 on a week day night). So that home video release can't come soon enough!

Watched the English dub at Cambridge Vue last night and would like to reiterate comments that it was a nice surprise; ended up sounding a lot better than the trailers implied. There was also one scene in particular that relied heavily on a Japanese-language joke that, I'm happy to say was localised really well (to the point that @Demelza had no idea anything changed when I mentioned it to her).

I looked to see if there were any further nearby screenings (wanted to take Mum), but while Vue has added three additional showings, two have sold out and the remainder finishes too late for her (23:50 on a week day night). So that home video release can't come soon enough!

I actually though the same thing about the dub. the trailer made it sound pretty poor but I was presently surprised how decent it was.

Also, a wild Grav appears.

hLzCeTrm.png

I'm going to say this is the very first shinkai film I've seen, and its now made me want to check out his other works.

Any suggestions of what I should start with
Any of them!
With the sorry exception of Children Who Chase Lost Voices. You will do well to pretend that one doesn't exist. Voices of a Distant Star is my personal favourite.

I have to admit that particular scene really stood out to me - but I think that's because I'd heard them discussing it on the Anime Ltd podcast and knew it was coming. I'm not 100% sure it worked - it felt a little out of place. But equally, I think the dub did a decent job of handling it, and I'm not sure you really could have done it any other way.

Any of them!
With the sorry exception of Children Who Chase Lost Voices. You will do well to pretend that one doesn't exist. Voices of a Distant Star is my personal favourite.
Voices of a Distant Star could really do with a bigger budget remake though. To be fair, Shinkai animated it solely on his own, but the rough character designs are very distracting. Narratively though, it's great.

Back