Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (Kimi no Na wa.) popped up on UK Theatrical Screens for 24th November

My fears exactly. One may as well wait for the disk release if one is, like me, prone to "getting things in one's eye" during Shinkai films. Waiting for the home release may be best for the sake of my stiff upper-lip...

Can confirm that I suffer from this condition too. They really ought to try harder to keep those cinemas dust-free... *sniff*

It's a smashing movie though and well worth snatching the rare opportunity to watch some anime on the big screen outside of London/SLA if you can.

R

Well, now that the odds have dramatically increased of any given screening being dubbed without warning, I feel vindicated in my stoic inaction.

Some great reviews coming in today. Mark Kermode picked it as his film of the week on 5 live earlier, and it has also been chosen as film of the week by Sight & Sound.

I can only wonder whether he was called "Mark Commode" by scatologically-minded bullies in school, and thereafter vowed to take revenge by the means of film criticism.

9YbA7Qdh.jpg

Got back a few hours ago. Impressions here.

The auditorium was awesome, reclining leather chairs! 10/10 would go again.

That is actually quite a reasonable price for a ticket! Sadly, it is unlikely that the film will be shown there when next I am near Leeds.

I'll be going to the screening at Westfield Stratford on Thursday. It now seems to have switched from a sub showing to a dub showing for some reason. I don't mind that, but I did book the subbed version specifically for my friend so it's a bit annoying.

Was surprised it was the dubbed version. It was excellent though. Brilliant film. Heard some really positive reactions comming out of the film as well.

Despite the adverts at the cinema the film was actually subtitled. It was a beautiful film and the thought of it being a year till a bluray release now saddens my heart

Despite the adverts at the cinema the film was actually subtitled. It was a beautiful film and the thought of it being a year till a bluray release now saddens my heart

Imagine being one of the poor bastards who wasn't anywhere near a screening and was unable to travel and now has to listen to everyone go on about how good it is. :(

If AL tweets about it much more, I'll genuinely unfollow them.

Imagine being one of the poor bastards who wasn't anywhere near a screening and was unable to travel and now has to listen to everyone go on about how good it is. :(

If AL tweets about it much more, I'll genuinely unfollow them.

And imagine been given the promise of being able to watch it, only for it to be quietly and unexpectedly pulled.

NOT THAT I'M MAD ABOUT THAT OR ANYTHING.

Mine switched from sub to dub too. Was not pleased, considering mailing them. Petty? maybe but I paid for a subbed version ya'know ..

I have a question for those who've seen the sub version ..are they so in your face about the plotline in the latter half? The dub felt to myself and my partner like it was throwing the plot in our face over and over and over like we were too stupid to understand what was going on & I found that stupidly irritating.
(I did enjoy the film though :p )

There was a small issue with the subtitles. every so often when a sentence ended you saw for a split second subtitles for a sentence 5 seconds later

The screening here (subbed) was moved to the larger screen and it was still sold out by the look of it - certainly the busiest I've ever seen it. Preview screening at the beginning of the month also sold out.

I thought it was a really good film, 5cm/s and Place Promised still rank higher in my book but this was probably just below them and probably friendlier to a wider audience (which explains the box office).

I would have been cross if I'd gone to see a subbed film and got a dub (and extrapolating that the opposite way around is equally irritating). Shame on the cinemas which mixed their listings up like that.

Glad I got to the previous screening though as I'd never have been able to travel to a cinema today. It's nice (sorry IL/Buzz) that so many people are all watching it at the same time and sharing their thoughts all at once. You really don't get that often, even with simulcasts.

R

Back