this isn't specifically about anime/manga kickstarters but after the last year or so how is customs stuff handled? there's a couple comicbooks on kickstarter i'm interested in but i can't see anythinng about customs on their pages
If its just books (printed material) then they'll be no customs as books are VAT free (make sure they fill in custom label properly). If it comes with any extras then it becomes mixed media which can incur customs. Depends on how they send, the kickstarters i did for Gunsmith Cats etc didn't have customs as they were sent to a warehouse in the UK first and then shipped from their to UK addresses.

Just found out about a new Vampire Hunter D Kickstarter project today for a comic adapted from one of creator Hideyuki Kikuchi's short stories.

The comic is called "Message from Mars" and is based on the short story "Message from Cecile". I'm really looking forward to this comic which hopefully should release in May 2022 (All the art and lettering is complete so hopefully it won't get delayed).
Internal art looks amazing and the story synopsis seems to confirm it's set during a very interesting era of the VHD story timeline.
It's releasing as a hardcover and 6 single issues and they're all kickstarter exclusives that won't be available at retail.
Have backed it already!

It's shaping up to be a great year for Vampire Hunter D fans. In addition to this comic we're also getting reprints of the D novels in omnibus format (3 books a volume) and the "Graphic Audio" audiobook releases with full voice cast and sound effects/soundtrack on CD and download.

Last edited:
I pledged earlier this morning for the Oban Champion Collector's Set level.

Really looking forward to reaching the €150,000 pledge goal, specifically for the 5 panel digipak addition to the CE. We'll have to wait to see what further stretch goal goodies are added later. 🤤

Last edited:
I pledged this morning for the Oban Champion Collector's Set level - 75 Euro for the item, plus 75 Euro for shipping to the US.

Looking forward only to reaching the 150,000 pledge goal from what ones they have posted, specifically for the 5 panel digipak addition to the CE. I'll have to wait to see what further stretch goals are added later. 🤤
Same tier that I chose to support - I've not been charged for shipping as yet though (so only the €75 ~ £63 odd).

Must stop visiting these forums. It's costing me a fortune!

I have never seen the show, but I have now joined the Oban Champions league. So I will find out what it's all about close to Christmas time.

Must stop visiting these forums. It's costing me a fortune!

I have never seen the show, but I have now joined the Oban Champions league. So I will find out what it's all about close to Christmas time.
It's great and often overlooked IMO - nice animation style and story and it also has OP and ED by Yoko Kanno. What more could you ask for? ;)

Last edited:
Oban... Star... racers...
That's...
I'm definitely getting that. I remember that show from when it was aired on Jetix. I'm also sure I never saw a few episodes, not because I didn't enjoy it but because with how Jetix aired shows there was a good chance it would suddenly switch up what episode it was going to show and start from near the beginning again.

There is a podcast which mentions a new forthcoming Kickstarter project which is going to launch on 1st March at noon and ends on 31st March. It is a CLAMP podcast and the book is one all about CLAMP called "CLAMPdown" and is written by... oh, how embarrassing, it's me.

There is a podcast which mentions a new forthcoming Kickstarter project which is going to launch on 1st March at noon and ends on 31st March. It is a CLAMP podcast and the book is one all about CLAMP called "CLAMPdown" and is written by... oh, how embarrassing, it's me.

Something interesting I've learned: I emailed Anime News Network about my book, and they told me that "I don't think your Kickstarter quite fits ANN's remit."

So, a Kickstarter about a book about a group of manga artists, who have also had their work adapted as anime and have worked on other anime, does not fit ANN's remit - but a Kickstarter about a yaoi paddle is in their remit.

So, a Kickstarter about a book about a group of manga artists, who have also had their work adapted as anime and have worked on other anime, does not fit ANN's remit - but a Kickstarter about a yaoi paddle is in their remit.
That's truly mystifying. Did they give any other clues as to why it doesn't fit their remit? (I wondered if maybe they don't feature Kickstarters for books...)

That's truly mystifying. Did they give any other clues as to why it doesn't fit their remit? (I wondered if maybe they don't feature Kickstarters for books...)
They said: "It would be different if your planned book would include, for example, newly-conducted interviews with the CLAMP artists or other industry figures... Of course, if your book does get a confirmed publication date, then please let me know and I'll put up a story about it on ANN immediately. Re the yaoi paddle story, I think it was probably put up just because of the sheer infamy of said object in fan circles. That's purely my speculation, though."

"It would be different if your planned book would include, for example, newly-conducted interviews with the CLAMP artists or other industry figures... Of course, if your book does get a confirmed publication date, then please let me know and I'll put up a story about it on ANN immediately.
Interesting. They'll give you promotion, then, if/when it's a done deal - or maybe when you're about to self-publish. So it's not entirely negative. Otherwise, they're stressing the 'news' part of ANN rather like us, maybe?) - they're looking for 'new' stuff to bring to readers.

Quick update: my CLAMPdown Kickstarter has been up for a few days and I've reached over a third of my target. Thanks to those who backed it so far.

Back