Jerome of Manga UK sounds off about licensing restrictions

Re: Jerome of Manga UK sounds off about licensing restrictio

I think this is the new chill pill thread now.

Just Passing Through said:
Time to resurrect the old 'chill pill' thread?

It's a shame I wasn't around to witness this event, would be good popcorn material. But at least I can read all of it at once now. Did we ever find out who Company A was in the end?

Joshawott said:
I think this is the new chill pill thread now.

Pretty much, though a bit more chilled.

I'm relatively new to the UK fandom after coming back into the anime world a few months back, but surprised to see comments like those appearing on the Manga feeds. Is this normal for them to be so open?
I would not be happy to hear someone making some of the comments that are being said if I was a creator of a product from someone who would (potentially) be licensing my work,

Sure, there are frustrations that I can understand, but it does come across as unprofessional. I mean, who doesn't get angry/frustrated at work?
If I made comments about my clients in my job so vocally, I would dread to think what my superiors would be doing. No matter how irritating/irrational/difficult they may be!

NormanicGrav said:
Time to resurrect the old 'chill pill' thread?

It's a shame I wasn't around to witness this event, would be good popcorn material. But at least I can read all of it at once now. Did we ever find out who Company A was in the end?

I did, but as Manga still do business with them, I'll just name them in my will. (Note for all you murderous info-hounds. I don't have a will)

Elaniel said:
I'm relatively new to the UK fandom after coming back into the anime world a few months back, but surprised to see comments like those appearing on the Manga feeds. Is this normal for them to be so open?
I would not be happy to hear someone making some of the comments that are being said if I was a creator of a product and someone who would (potentially) be licensing my work,

Sure, there are frustrations that I can understand, but it does come across as unprofessional. I mean, who doesn't get angry/frustrated at work?
If I made comments about my clients in my job so vocally, I would dread to think what my superiors would be doing. No matter how irritating/irrational/difficult they may be!

I think with the crap that Hideaki Anno took over the original Evangelion series and End of Evangelion, Manga Entertainment's comments are the epitome of tact and discretion in comparison.

Elaniel said:
I would not be happy to hear someone making some of the comments that are being said if I was a creator of a product and someone who would (potentially) be licensing my work,

I think with the crap that Hideaki Anno took over the original Evangelion series and End of Evangelion, Manga Entertainment's comments are the epitome of tact and discretion in comparison.

Uh-oh... does that mean we will get a huge F-U release of something in the future from them? :p

Elaniel said:
Elaniel said:

Uh-oh... does that mean we will get a huge F-U release of something in the future from them? :p

Evangelion 4.44, 2 hours of a blood red screen against a soundtrack of hellish screaming, end credits with power ballad by Aerosmith.

Elaniel said:
Evangelion 4.44, 2 hours of a blood red screen against a soundtrack of hellish screaming, end credits with power ballad by Aerosmith.
And wins Academy Award for Best Animated Feature while also providing a preview of the characters screaming in which we get to see the celebrities react in horror.

Joshawott said:
Evangelion 3.33 No Wonder People Watch (Online) For Free
NormanicGrav said:
Evangelion 3.33: You [Can] Bloody Well Wait Until February
Now those, those are classics.

Elaniel said:
Everything that is wrong with the world of business and customer service. People who are assholes need to be told they are assholes in every avenue of life and as often as possible. "Professionalism" is overrated. Brutal honesty is the way forward.

ayase said:
Joshawott said:
Evangelion 3.33 No Wonder People Watch (Online) For Free
NormanicGrav said:
Evangelion 3.33: You [Can] Bloody Well Wait Until February
Now those, those are classics.

Elaniel said:
Everything that is wrong with the world of business and customer service. People who are assholes need to be told they are assholes in every avenue of life and as often as possible. "Professionalism" is overrated. Brutal honesty is the way forward.

Sure, I do agree to a point. The issue I was pointing out is people higher up tend not to like these kinds of things coming back on the company (Company image always is paramount). Perhaps it's the way some of the comments come across too is causing such issues.
Not to mention, it would be very interesting to see how one of the Japanese licensors would react to being called an asshole. I think that would be oddly hilarious.

The difference is, if a customer is being an ass, then sure put them in your place. When you're talking about companies that you're directly doing business with though...

While I may not necessarily agree with Manga UK's release strategy, I can certainly sympathise with this recent outburst. Honestly, I quite like Jerome's attitude - it's given me something to laugh about and it's not the typical 'Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir,' that people seem to be misconstruing as professionalism.

Of course, that all depends on whether Jerome voices his concerns to their source, rather than just the 'twitterverse'.

I think we need to make a Chill Pill 2 Thread;

Chill Pill Thread 2: Prescription Day.

I'd rather honesty over endless 'no comment' any day of the week.

It must be frustrating though - they'd have been counting on Eva 3.33 to be the biggest selling release of the year by miles - so continual long delays would mean they'd have to keep reassessing their expected financials.

I understand it's frustrating but the problem I have about Jerome pinning everything on the Japanese side (again) and sticking up for his friends at FUNimation is that he's not being entirely truthful.

There is already a legal English-subtitled Blu-ray release of Eva 3.33 from Deltamac in region A (also available as a basic edition). It might not be the only one, but it's out there for a reasonable price and that blows apart any theories that this is some kind of Japanese grey importing conspiracy (if the existence of other foreign editions without English translations hadn't done that already). I'm inclined to believe that this problem is entirely with the dub, in which case it absolutely is FUNimation's responsibility and Manga UK are unwilling to lay the blame on their partner. Misleading the fans and freaking out isn't very helpful, even if I understand that they're disappointed that Japan has a problem with accepting the original dub for some reason this time.

It's possible that they could release a first edition sub-only version of 3.33 right now if they chose to. Obviously they want to get the dub out there too since it's got such a following, but that's their choice. Fans who import or lose interest in the release due to the long delays (and lack of screening options here) are only behaving that way because a product still hasn't been provided for them to purchase.

It's worth pointing out that Madman Entertainment in Australia have so far been faster, more polite and more informative than Manga UK at spreading the news about the delay, without resorting to unprofessional public meltdowns.

(Personally I'd just import the HK one if I hadn't imported the JP version already. I'm not impressed by this kind of rabble-rousing designed to make the western companies seem like victims, especially since I don't care for the dub ^^; )

R

Funny thing happened at expo. My mate who is no longer a buyer of Manga's stuff after all the stuff that happened with the caneclling of blu rays a couple of years back, decided to speak to Jerome and let him know in so many words why he decided to not buy their stuff anymore. Very nicely I might add, finishing with a nice handshake which Mr Jerome decided not to accept. Some random person behind us seeing all this decided to shout "come on jerome stop being a wanker for one day". Made my day!

Lutga said:
I'd rather honesty over endless 'no comment' any day of the week.

But there is a difference between being honest and insulting the companies you work for. Lets's say, worst scenario, said Japanese company finds out they have constantly been insulted and cuts the ties. We all loose out. No one will be praising Manga for 'sticking it to the man'.

They will be pissed that they now have an incomplete set on their shelves and they will have to go without or import the missing titles.

Rui said:
I'm not impressed by this kind of rabble-rousing designed to make the western companies seem like victims
I don't think that's entirely fair Rui. It's about the Japanese companies being reasonable, not exaggerating the problem of reverse importing and acknowledging the fact that if Manga can't make something available to western fans in a timely manner for a reasonable price for their market, people will just pirate it and both they and western distributors will lose out. People are still talking about anime being too cheap here - It's actually gone back UP in price in recent years with the trend for half season BD sets around £25 making a series cost pretty much what it did a few years ago on DVD (when everybody complained it was too expensive) about £50 for a 20 something episode season. Which I think is completely fair for the UK market. Any more and a show won't sell enough copies to make UK distributors viable.

Back