Get in the Simulwatch - Neon Genesis Evangelion [End of Eva - 21/7]

I've been watching like 2 episodes after work a day, so I'm a bit ahead on this thread, I think it's episode 8 I just seen.
I believe the simulthread is now on the nuclear weapon type EVA? The end of that one is pretty damning to how far gendo goes to secure his supremacy in the EVA game...

I have OCD, so Ramiel's perfectly geometric shape and clean lines are more aesthetically pleasing than they probably should be to me 😅

I really do like the overall design concept of the Angels, though. I've not read up on anything official regarding where the ideas for their designs come from, but I just really like the take on something you tend to have a stereotypical fixed idea about, and how it deviates so far from that! The names sound archaic and biblical, so it's the juxtaposition of those old sounding names coupled with the futuristic, alien-type designs that makes them so unusual and interesting. Also, each one is different.

Episode 05

Ending aside, in the main, this definitely feels like a more light-hearted affair than anything we've had so far. I still really struggle to get through the scene with Shinji and Rei in Rei's flat though; it's tooth-grindingly awkward. If we're being generous, I suppose you could argue it's meant to be squrimy to undermine that whole 'whoops, I fell on your breasts' trope, but Gainax have never been above that kind of thing, so... eh.

Ramiel Geometric lad is possibly my favourite Angel, but it is kind of a meme I guess.

d45.jpg
Best boy doesnt even drill the right way. After all these errors I can see how they wanted to re do it in the rebuilds. Like even Rei's smile is scary Ive always disliked her smile in ep 6.
This is the episode that shows it wont be a normal show.

I have OCD, so Ramiel's perfectly geometric shape and clean lines are more aesthetically pleasing than they probably should be to me 😅

I really do like the overall design concept of the Angels, though. I've not read up on anything official regarding where the ideas for their designs come from, but I just really like the take on something you tend to have a stereotypical fixed idea about, and how it deviates so far from that! The names sound archaic and biblical, so it's the juxtaposition of those old sounding names coupled with the futuristic, alien-type designs that makes them so unusual and interesting. Also, each one is different.
The biblical stuff is very deliberate. They are the harbingers of destruction and are named Angel's as a group. I think all the names are from old testament Angel names as well. Also in the first 2 episodes all the explosions caused by the Angel are in the shape of giant crucifixes.

Theres also a lot of 'growing up' stuff going on (both in the main themes and a little under the surface). I dont think it's any accident that Shinji has to fight and defeat a giant phallus and then in the next episode accidentally grabs Rei's breast.

The platinum dvd edition I own has some great bonus featurettes discussing a lot of this stuff in detail. Also a lot of the English commentary tracks are fascinating to listen to and discuss ideas from the show. It's been years since I watched them but if you can find them online somewhere they are worth it.

Episode 06

Again, mostly a bit lighter in tone this time, maybe even surprisingly so, given the apparently dire situation with Ramiel drilling into the geo-front. I got a laugh out of Misato's smug-face requisitioning of the positron rifle from the JSDF and it's notable that even Touji is turning up with the other kids to cheer on the Eva units now (another shot with a very WW2-esque vibe).

This is also the first time I've been properly annoyed with Netflix's stream, given that they did nothing to translate the large number of onscreen captions in this episode (at least for the subtitled version, I didn't check the dub). This problem certainly isn't unique to Eva though and CR are guilty of it too.

Drinking fame idea: Take a drini every time Asuka calls Shinji 'idiot'.

Shhhh! She won't turn up until friday >.>

Like even Rei's smile is scary Ive always disliked her smile in ep 6.

This tbh.

Oh God. I've probably lost that image forever, but someone I'm fairly sure was Rei Hiroe (or one of his doujinshi pseudonyms) did a wonderful re-imagining of that.

I am intrigued, but certainly couldn't turn up anything at a glance.

The biblical stuff is very deliberate. They are the harbingers of destruction and are named Angel's as a group. I think all the names are from old testament Angel names as well. Also in the first 2 episodes all the explosions caused by the Angel are in the shape of giant crucifixes.

Theres also a lot of 'growing up' stuff going on (both in the main themes and a little under the surface). I dont think it's any accident that Shinji has to fight and defeat a giant phallus and then in the next episode accidentally grabs Rei's breast.

The platinum dvd edition I own has some great bonus featurettes discussing a lot of this stuff in detail. Also a lot of the English commentary tracks are fascinating to listen to and discuss ideas from the show. It's been years since I watched them but if you can find them online somewhere they are worth it.

The story I've heard a lot latterly is that they leaned into Judeo-Christian symbolism largely because it seemed exotic to a Japanese audience, rather than any intended deeper meanings, but I don't know how accurate that is. There was an interesting shot comparison image that I saw recently showing how a lot of the cruciform imagery (such as the explosions) was also present in Ultraman, which is acknowledged as one of the show's major touchstones, but annoyingly I can't find it again.

Either way, I would be interested in those bonus featurettes and commentaries. I've been thinking of trying to ask around and borrow the discs off my friends, so I'll certainly check them out if I can.

On an unrelated note, I saw the best take on the replacement ED theme on a Faceache video the other day, but as Vintage Anime Shitposting is a closed group, unfortunately I can't link it directly. I will do my best to describe it for you all below:

MISATO

Shinji, don't get killed out there.

[TO BE CONTINUED]

END CREDITS roll. REI rotates in front of the moon for NO READILY APPARENT REASON.

END THEME

Some... BODY ONCE TOLD ME,
THE WORLD IS GONNA ROLL ME
I AIN'T THE SHARPEST TOOL
IN THE SHE-ED...​

Episode 6

I don't want to. Maybe you can be so cool about it because you haven't had the kind of experiences I've had yet. I don't want to go through it again.

Ahh, the episode with the famous scene where Rei smiles for Shinji after their fraught battle with the 5th Angel. Especially after the absolute horror Shinji experienced at the hands of the enemy's beam weapon the first time he tried to take it on... well, the boy done good. Really good.

Next up is an intriguing episode I've been really looking forward to seeing again.

Ramiel Geometric lad is possibly my favourite Angel, but it is kind of a meme I guess.
That Angel is one of my favourites too. I like how the ones we've seen up until that point are indeed very much alien-like in form as Aya says, and then this one comes along and... it's a... cube? 🤨❓

Then if you're watching the Rebuild version of that scene (which is where I first laid eyes on it), it emits this blood-curdling shriek as it charges up its beam, and it becomes outright terrifying. 😱❗

@Professor Irony: Your musing on Kensuke's parentage made me laugh internally more than you know, by the way!

At the very least, his and Gendo's glasses share the same DNA — as do those of most spectacle-wearing anime characters, it would seem, with their ill-fitting frames and reflection-heavy lenses. 😅
You'd think Anno would know better!

Episode 6

After the cliffhanger Shinji is in dire straits and now the geo front is under direct attack! Oh no! Dont worry though some savvy planning from Misato will lead the team to victory.

The real meat of this episode is in the interactions between Shinji and Rei. After the awkward awfulness of last episode here we see them finally have a real conversation. It may be brief but they can finally work together even as one is a willing fighter, unaware of what she might lose and one is unwilling, scared of what losing might mean.

For what it's worth I liked her smile (i feel that maybe says something terrible about me).

This angel's redesign for the film is one of the few areas the movies improved the series.

For what it's worth I liked her smile

Greetings Mr WMD,

Myself and @Neil.T would like to warmly welcome you to the RSAS (Rei Smile Appreciation Society). Please RSVP to this invitation to the first meeting, whereupon you will receive cake! *

*You will not receive cake, but you will at least be pleased that you are (not) alone in your appreciation of The Smile 👍

Greetings Mr WMD,

Myself and @Neil.T would like to warmly welcome you to the RSAS (Rei Smile Appreciation Society). Please RSVP to this invitation to the first meeting, whereupon you will receive cake! *

*You will not receive cake, but you will at least be pleased that you are (not) alone in your appreciation of The Smile 👍
Thank you very much. I will cordially like to accept your invitation! Maybe I'll buy myself a cake 🤔 🍰

Huh... mentioning that smile again, I don't see what's so bad about it?
Is it that it just seems unnatural for the moment, because rei wouldn't smile just because she's told to like that?

It's not like... oh... oh my god.. why is her mouth like that? Is she an angel? Is she gonna eat unit 01?

Re: Rei's smile from episode 6. Didn't the first print run of 1.01/1.11 on home release in Japan contain a special extra inside the box? I'm sure I remember reading that each copy was packaged with two consecutive frames clipped from a film negative of the movie. Apparently, the most sought-after frames were ones of the scene of Rei smiling.

#####

Episode 7

The Committee's main concern is for their own survival. They aren't stingy when their own lives are at stake.

The (partial?) truth behind Second Impact is disclosed to Shinji by Ritsuko. The on-screen document accompanying her explanation provides a lot of useful backstory for the show.

The main act of this episode is an impending disaster involving a competing robot design by a private manufacturer. Although still humanoid in form, this robot, Jet Alone, is the opposite of an Eva in a couple of important ways: it has a long operating time and range, thanks to being powered by an on-board nuclear reactor (in stark contrast to an Eva's five-minute time limit when running on internal power, or else being tied down by the length of its power cord), and it is also controlled remotely from a command centre rather than on-board.

It's a clever way for Anno to explore the idea of: "What if there was a rival organisation, a private firm, competing for the 'contract' to battle the Angels?"

It's a devilishly clever concept, and I love it. This has become one of my favourite episodes. As @~AyaMachi~ knows. 😅

This has become one of my favourite episodes. As @~AyaMachi~ knows. 😅
Like a big kid over the phone, he was - so much fun! 😊

It does sound so exciting though and the idea of a rival company throws yet another spanner into the works. I still think Jet Alone sounds like it could be an F1 team though...

(The cars would be powered by LCL, obviously...)

Episode 07

This was one I'd largely forgotten - the only part I can clearly remember was Pen-Pen and Shinji's synchronised eating - but even if there's not much here to further the main plot, there's quite a lot going on in terms of world building. Neil T. already mentioned Ritsuko offering up some more details of the second impact (note that the camera lingers on Misato during this), but I think this one also does a lot to solidify Misato's character and gives us an interesting outside perspective on how the rest of the world sees NERV.

It underscores the dubious morality within NERV itself too; someone is leaking their information to the outside world, but they're hardly victims either, being clearly responsible for sabotaging the Jet Alone race team anti-angel unit. Given how little concern Ritsuko seems to show for Misato's safety, it also seems entirely plausible NERV were so much in control of the demonstration that there was never any real chance of the meltdown happening...

Lastly, I'm just going to submit this without further comment.

ce8.gif

Back